PDA

View Full Version : East Semi-Final: Hamilton Tiger-Cats at Montreal Alouettes - November 4, 2023

Will
10-29-2023, 11:39 AM
Montreal went 3-0 against the Tiger-Cats this year, and were arguably more dominant against the Cats than the Argos were.

Montreal has an under-rated defense and should beat Hamilton.

gilthethrill
10-29-2023, 07:13 PM
Cats are obligated to start BLM and his huge salary despite being the 3rd best QB on the roster. Hamilton’s season ends with a whimper on “Super Saturday “.

ArgoRavi
10-29-2023, 07:39 PM
Montreal went 3-0 against the Tiger-Cats this year, and were arguably more dominant against the Cats than the Argos were.

Montreal has an under-rated defense and should beat Hamilton.

Honestly, it felt like the Argos toyed with the Ticats this year.

In any event, I haven't liked the Ticats all year and I don't expect them to win this game.

OV Argo
10-29-2023, 09:12 PM
IMO - this will be a tight, close game - 2 average at best teams with not the brightest coaching; flip a coin, but probably bet on the Als at home.

AngeloV
10-29-2023, 11:18 PM
Cats are obligated to start BLM and his huge salary despite being the 3rd best QB on the roster. Hamilton’s season ends with a whimper on “Super Saturday “.

BLM looked good to me in this game. Kiondre Smith dropped a beautiful deep ball down the sidelines in this game, and McAllister dropped a ball on a good scramble and throw over the middle, which I believe he would have easily scored on. I disagree strongly that BLM is their 3rd best QB. He is IMO their best. But I agree with Ravi, in that the Als have a very good under the radar defence, especially since the added Lemon and Sankey.

I still don't think either team will give the Argos much of a game though.

gilthethrill
10-30-2023, 11:08 AM
Montreal managed to gain a 1st Down by “ Punting” the ball a few inches for the 2nd time this season. What a mockery.

Scooter McCray
10-30-2023, 11:40 AM
I'd like to see Hamilton win this game. BLM coming back to BMO to lead his team. Good story line. Hamilton will be hyped to get to the GC. 5,000 of their fans will come out if need be to complete the sellout. Would be a great atmosphere. To paraphrase Stepbrothers..We've had the old bull in BLM, now it's time to pass the torch to the young calf in Chad Kelly.

OV Argo
10-30-2023, 12:24 PM
Montreal managed to gain a 1st Down by “ Punting” the ball a few inches for the 2nd time this season. What a mockery.

Why is it a mockery if they're just taking advantage of the rules? They ended up doing nothing with that wimpy one yard first down anyways and had to punt the ball away for real a couple of plays later. This was moron Maas thinking he was some sort of genius by gaining a first down on that play - he's too dumb or cowardly to have his offence produce an 18 yard gain for a 1st down (a well run deep dig by a big target receiver easily achieves this; so does a well executed screen to a good RB often); love to see Maas try this play again in a big play-off game = what should happen is a fast closing defender blasts the RB trying the pooch punt and another defender picks it up for a scoop & score.

Will
10-30-2023, 12:43 PM

Rightly or wrongly, it is in the rulebook for now and teams need to be prepared for it.

AngeloV
10-30-2023, 12:49 PM

I agree. It's rather embarrassing that the league doesn't adopt the football Canada rule in which the punted ball must pass the first down marker in order for the punting team to retain possession. Hopefully they re-visit this in the off season.

ArgoRavi
10-30-2023, 12:51 PM
IMO - this will be a tight, close game - 2 average at best teams with not the brightest coaching; flip a coin, but probably bet on the Als at home.

I think that the Als are actually a well-coached team and my opinion of Jason Maas has really shot up with what he has done this season. I have to give Danny Maciocia credit too. Nobody expected Montreal to go 11-7 this year after a very challenging off-season.

OV Argo
10-30-2023, 01:14 PM
I think that the Als are actually a well-coached team and my opinion of Jason Maas has really shot up with what he has done this season. I have to give Danny Maciocia credit too. Nobody expected Montreal to go 11-7 this year after a very challenging off-season.

Who did they beat? - Ottawa & Hamilton a bunch of times ?

ArgoRavi
10-31-2023, 02:30 AM
Who did they beat? - Ottawa & Hamilton a bunch of times ?

They beat everyone but Toronto, Winnipeg and BC.

OV Argo
10-31-2023, 12:14 PM
They beat everyone but Toronto, Winnipeg and BC.

7 of their wins vs. Ottawa & Hamilton. And Maas had his starting QB most of the year.

ArgoGabe22
11-04-2023, 05:52 PM
Chris Edwards involved in a brawl at the end. Shocking.

ArgoGabe22
11-04-2023, 05:53 PM
And he actually threw in a punch for no apparent reason

Argo57
11-04-2023, 06:15 PM
Chris Edwards involved in a brawl at the end. Shocking.

Complete imbecile.

OV Argo
11-04-2023, 06:30 PM
Complete imbecile.

A real punk; maybe a decent D player but over-rated and could easily be replaced by a smarter better player.

Argo57
11-04-2023, 06:41 PM
A real punk; maybe a decent D player but over-rated and could easily be replaced by a smarter better player.

I’m so glad the Argos moved on from him and signed Pickett who is a much better player and seems to be a great teammate.

argolio
11-04-2023, 06:52 PM
Edwards should never play another CFL game.

TrueBlueGuy
11-04-2023, 08:20 PM
I’m so glad the Argos moved on from him and signed Pickett who is a much better player and seems to be a great teammate.
IMO from game 1 of this season Pickett was the best pickup the Argos made this past off-season. Helluva good player.

TrueBlueGuy
11-04-2023, 08:25 PM
Just throwing this out...two consecutive years of 8-and-10, two consecutive East Semi losses, not starting your highest-paid player at QB, not using your other major add, Butler, nearly enough when Montreal is somewhat weak vs the run, your top receiver who led the league in yards not being thrown to, IS IT TIME for the Cats to make a change of Head Coach??

Argo57
11-04-2023, 09:30 PM
Just throwing this out...two consecutive years of 8-and-10, two consecutive East Semi losses, not starting your highest-paid player at QB, not using your other major add, Butler, nearly enough when Montreal is somewhat weak vs the run, your top receiver who led the league in yards not being thrown to, IS IT TIME for the Cats to make a change of Head Coach??

Yes.
Steinauer looked rather disinterested and clueless on the sidelines this season, if Hamilton is smart they will punt him to the curb.

ArgoGabe22
11-04-2023, 09:34 PM
Yes.
Steinauer looked rather disinterested and clueless on the sidelines this season, if Hamilton is smart they will punt him to the curb.

He could punt himself and move upstairs permanently

ArgoRavi
11-04-2023, 11:26 PM

That's the likely move.

This is a team that has really declined since their 15-3 season in 2019. They haven't done as good of a job drafting and recruiting since that time and it really showed this year when they seemed to be constantly trying to improve their lineup with other teams' cuts - that is usually not a good sign.

I never felt that the Ticats were a well-constructed team this year and there seemed to be a lack of a coherent vision as to what this team should be. Needless to say, I am not surprised that they lost today.

AngeloV
11-04-2023, 11:32 PM
I can't believe that Steinauer started Schiltz, and even more perplexed that he waited until the game was pretty well over before he said, go win this, Bo. I questioned earlier this year whether O had checked out, now I am sure of it. Shiltz is a good back up, but not starter material. I call him Mr between the 20's.

I think it's almost a sure bet Milanovich will be their HC next year--if he wants the job.

ArgoGabe22
11-04-2023, 11:49 PM
I’m not involved in any of the Ticats chatter but I wonder if fans are starting to turn on Scott Mitchell. Seems like the franchise peaked in 2019 and just on a downward spire. I did see many posts online after the game where fans vowed to not renew seasons. A lot of blame towards Steinhauer.

AngeloV
11-05-2023, 12:08 AM
I’m not involved in any of the Ticats chatter but I wonder if fans are starting to turn on Scott Mitchell. Seems like the franchise peaked in 2019 and just on a downward spire. I did see many posts online after the game where fans vowed to not renew seasons. A lot of blame towards Steinhauer.

First or 2nd caller on the 5th quarter postgame wants Mitchell gone.

Argo57
11-05-2023, 07:36 AM

I don’t think he deserves the opportunity to do so.

AngeloV
11-05-2023, 09:26 AM
I don’t think he deserves the opportunity to do so.

But it's a classic move of someone that holds a duo role. Upper management may dictate this happens.

OV Argo
11-05-2023, 10:34 AM
They need big changes there IMO.

And this Argo fan hopes they hire Scotty M as HC - so the Argos D can get to face more standard, simpleton CFL offence and the likes of Shiltz at QB and Butler at RB.

But as a CFL fan, love to see some new blood there instead of recycling of more GOBs.

gilthethrill
11-05-2023, 05:24 PM
I got a chuckle when Duane Forde mentioned Duke Williams was out with an injury….truth is Hamilton got wise and sent him home a couple months ago. What a mess that organization is.

ArgofanIan
11-05-2023, 07:25 PM
CFL Fans in Toronto Face book group organized a real nice playoff Viewing party on Duffy;s on Bloor west. Lots of Ticat , Rider , ARgo and some Bomber fans. Sound up for both games ... Good times and good people.

OV Argo
11-05-2023, 08:24 PM
CFL Fans in Toronto Face book group organized a real nice playoff Viewing party on Duffy;s on Bloor west. Lots of Ticat , Rider , ARgo and some Bomber fans. Sound up for both games ... Good times and good people.

Good to hear !

7dj83r8f78t4alf8