PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Final: Montreal Alouettes @ Toronto Argonauts

Will
11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
We know what must be done, so do it!

Scooter McCray
11-04-2023, 06:16 PM
C'est le Temps. Mange les Croques Monsieurs.

"Issues"Mcgee
11-04-2023, 07:33 PM
C'est le Temps. Mange les Croques Monsieurs.

Croques monsieurs are delicious :D

TrueBlueGuy
11-04-2023, 08:12 PM
Alouettes seemed to escape the Semi injury free, so we will face their best lineup.
We will have to be aware of Cody's running ability, putting pressure on him will be key for our D.
And maybe double-team Lemon!

AngeloV
11-04-2023, 11:25 PM
At the risk of this coming back to bite me in the ass, I have no concerns about this game at all.

paulwoods13
11-05-2023, 06:12 AM
t looked as if Fajardo was limping a bit after one play late in the game, but he seemed fine after that so it was likely nothing serious. Wonder if Antwi will be suspended for coming off the bench after Edwards. IMO he should not be.

Scooter McCray
11-05-2023, 07:09 AM
Croques monsieurs are delicious :DC'est bon ca. In honor of our Alouette friends i will refer to you as Issue Mcgee instead of Issues. Who wants to go to McDonald for Gros Mac?

AngeloV
11-05-2023, 09:20 AM
t looked as if Fajardo was limping a bit after one play late in the game, but he seemed fine after that so it was likely nothing serious. Wonder if Antwi will be suspended for coming off the bench after Edwards. IMO he should not be.

I agree. No way Antwi should be suspended.

RB957
11-05-2023, 11:47 AM
At the risk of this coming back to bite me in the ass, I have no concerns about this game at all.

I tend to agree, Angelo. Big thing for me is that Montreal's O line is weak against the pass rush, and I just don't know how they are going to stop our D line. The only thing is that when we bring a big rush, it does open up a soft zone underneath which can be exploited if Fajardo gets it out quickly. When he did this against Hamilton, they had some success. But overall, Argos have a huge advantage here. When you size up our personnel against theirs, we are stronger at pretty much every position. One thing which could hurt a team in this position is looking ahead past this game, but that has not been an issue with the Argos. They have an amazing culture in the room, and their attitude of going 1 - 0 each week has served them well. Alouettes are a good team, they are on a roll for sure, and are going to give it everything that they have. I expect it will be a hard fought game, but that we will prevail.

As Chad Kelly says, every time he is interviewed: "Go Argos!"

OV Argo
11-05-2023, 01:21 PM
Anything can happen in one game of course, but I expect the Argo offence to have a field day against that Als D.

The Als do not go with much D-line rotation at all, so that means older guys like Sewell & Lemon play most of the game; and raw rookie Canadian DE Uguak (flashed a bit of talent this season) was listed as one of their 7 only NI starters last game and you never see the back-up Canadian D-linemen in the game (won't be surprised to see them getting away with subbing in import Avery Ellis for Uguak as part of that new rule); a D-line ripe to be run on and to tire as the game goes on.

The Als also seemed to be using a sort of 3-2-7 look on D yesterday some against the Ticats - maybe to try to confuse Shiltz, but the Argos will have tape of that now and should be able to counter easily.

The Als best hope would be to game-plan a smart offence with lots of run game, and maybe use their H-back for a big play or two at key times. I can't see Fajardo winning a passing battle vs. Kelly and the Argos air attack. Avoid turn-overs is always key.

Bleeds Double Blue
11-05-2023, 04:12 PM
For the first time since prior to the pandemic the one and only Bleeds Double Blue will have his backside planted in a seat at BMO. It feels good to be coming home.

bluto
11-06-2023, 08:41 AM
For the first time since prior to the pandemic the one and only Bleeds Double Blue will have his backside planted in a seat at BMO. It feels good to be coming home.

Good for you, BDB.

There's a chance at finishing this season in historic fashion. Everyone who loves this club has to be there and be loud.

OhdearGodsweetbabyJesus...

AngeloV
11-06-2023, 12:11 PM
Good for you, BDB.

There's a chance at finishing this season in historic fashion. Everyone who loves this club has to be there and be loud.

OhdearGodsweetbabyJesus...

I didn't say it would take an act of a dog.

Scooter McCray
11-06-2023, 12:28 PM
My first early take on the game - Argos take the early lead, this forces the Alouettes to move away from their running attack. Force Fajardo to beat you with his receivers and passing game.

OV Argo
11-06-2023, 01:02 PM
I didn't say it would take an act of a dog.

Montreal deploys a frisbee catching dog on D and he intercepts Chad Kelly for 3 pick sixes.

Scooter McCray
11-06-2023, 01:07 PM
Montreal deploys a frisbee catching dog on D and he intercepts Chad Kelly for 3 pick sixes.That sounds like the plot of Good Will Hunting

bluto
11-06-2023, 01:30 PM
Montreal deploys a frisbee catching dog on D and he intercepts Chad Kelly for 3 pick sixes.

AIR BUD VIII

Canadian Air Force!

paulwoods13
11-07-2023, 04:49 PM
These guys did not practise today, which I suggest means they likely won't play on Sunday: Adeboboye, Carnell, Gittens, Johnson, Kwamou, Muamba. Amos is not listed on the injury report but I assume he's also out.

Interestingly, Robertson Daniel went full, as did Dariusz Bladek. So did all the healthy scratches from Game 18. As great a season as he had before being hurt, I have a hard time seeing Daniel moving back into the starting lineup after not playing for two months, but that would be a nice problem to have.

ArgoRavi
11-07-2023, 11:49 PM
These guys did not practise today, which I suggest means they likely won't play on Sunday: Adeboboye, Carnell, Gittens, Johnson, Kwamou, Muamba. Amos is not listed on the injury report but I assume he's also out.

Interestingly, Robertson Daniel went full, as did Dariusz Bladek. So did all the healthy scratches from Game 18. As great a season as he had before being hurt, I have a hard time seeing Daniel moving back into the starting lineup after not playing for two months, but that would be a nice problem to have.

Priester was limited with a groin injury on Tuesday. As much as I like Priester, I would replace him in the lineup with Daniel on Saturday. How Daniel fits in for playing time is a whole other matter but it's a good problem to have.

Rich
11-08-2023, 01:54 AM
I tend to agree, Angelo. Big thing for me is that Montreal's O line is weak against the pass rush, and I just don't know how they are going to stop our D line. The only thing is that when we bring a big rush, it does open up a soft zone underneath which can be exploited if Fajardo gets it out quickly. When he did this against Hamilton, they had some success. But overall, Argos have a huge advantage here. When you size up our personnel against theirs, we are stronger at pretty much every position. One thing which could hurt a team in this position is looking ahead past this game, but that has not been an issue with the Argos. They have an amazing culture in the room, and their attitude of going 1 - 0 each week has served them well. Alouettes are a good team, they are on a roll for sure, and are going to give it everything that they have. I expect it will be a hard fought game, but that we will prevail.

As Chad Kelly says, every time he is interviewed: "Go Argos!"

Yeah, and it’s the combination of exceptional personnel and culture that makes this team so special. They know how to win football games. They did it for six weeks with backups and nothing to play for.

Nothing to play for except winning the game. That’s what they did. That’s what they do.

paulwoods13
11-08-2023, 03:18 PM
After being limited yesterday, Priester did not practise today. That opens the door for Daniel to dress. If I had to bet, he will suit up, won't be in the starting five defensive backs but will see a fair bit of action in nickel packages. Dressing either Priester or Daniel means one of the INT d-linemen won't dress, presumably either Costigan or Barlow. I'd want three DTs dressed, including Brinkman, since Mtl is a run-heavy team.

Also, Adeboboye is definitely out. Harris will take his spot on offence but someone is going to have to step into his very big shoes on specials.

ArgoRavi
11-08-2023, 03:40 PM
After being limited yesterday, Priester did not practise today. That opens the door for Daniel to dress. If I had to bet, he will suit up, won't be in the starting five defensive backs but will see a fair bit of action in nickel packages. Dressing either Priester or Daniel means one of the INT d-linemen won't dress, presumably either Costigan or Barlow. I'd want three DTs dressed, including Brinkman, since Mtl is a run-heavy team.

Also, Adeboboye is definitely out. Harris will take his spot on offence but someone is going to have to step into his very big shoes on specials.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Pickett play much more on special teams again in Adeboboye's absence. I believe that is what happened in Ottawa a couple of weeks ago.

AngeloV
11-08-2023, 04:49 PM

With Adeboboye out, Barlow has to dress. They can’t afford to be down 2 really good special team players. I am betting on Brinkman not dressing unless they decide to sit Phillips and start 3 Canadian receivers.

paulwoods13
11-08-2023, 05:11 PM
With Adeboboye out, Barlow has to dress. They can’t afford to be down 2 really good special team players. I am betting on Brinkman not dressing unless they decide to sit Phillips and start 3 Canadian receivers.

Very salient point. I'd be more inclined to sit Phillips than Brinkman, personally. Sindani can back up the three NAT receivers, and we could see some looks with two backs at once.

kellynjk
11-08-2023, 10:36 PM
Looking forward to the game on Saturday, plus the weather looks like it will be good - cool (6C) but sunny - so perfect football conditions!!!

ArgoRavi
11-08-2023, 10:44 PM
Very salient point. I'd be more inclined to sit Phillips than Brinkman, personally. Sindani can back up the three NAT receivers, and we could see some looks with two backs at once.

I personally would be hesitant to play Brinkman at the expense of Phillips, who we shouldn't forget was a very productive receiver before his injury. Brinkman is considered the consummate run-stopper though, so it is a very difficult decision.

I also have noticed that Pier-Olivier Lestage has not practised for the Alouettes after sitting out the East semi and he is their best offensive lineman.

AngeloV
11-09-2023, 10:46 AM
I personally would be hesitant to play Brinkman at the expense of Phillips, who we shouldn't forget was a very productive receiver before his injury. Brinkman is considered the consummate run-stopper though, so it is a very difficult decision.

I also have noticed that Pier-Olivier Lestage has not practised for the Alouettes after sitting out the East semi and he is their best offensive lineman.

I'm with you Ravi. Brinkman is good, but Oakman, Hendrix and Knight is a good enough rotation. Kelly and Phillips have a real connection on offence, and he was their leading receiver before his injury. Maybe it's Costigan that sits. In any event, a tough decision for RD

paulwoods13
11-09-2023, 03:57 PM
Priester is now officially out, as are Adeboboye, Carnell, Gittens, Johnson, Kwamou and Muamba. (Presumably also Amos altho he's not listed on the reports this week.)

Bladek and Daniel both went full again today. I think we will see both guys in the lineup on Saturday, albeit not as starters.

AngeloV
11-09-2023, 05:05 PM
Priester is now officially out, as are Adeboboye, Carnell, Gittens, Johnson, Kwamou and Muamba. (Presumably also Amos altho he's not listed on the reports this week.)

Bladek and Daniel both went full again today. I think we will see both guys in the lineup on Saturday, albeit not as starters.

I believe if Phillips is in, he will be starting. Unlike Bladek, he was at least able to play in the season finale.

OV Argo
11-09-2023, 05:32 PM
I believe if Phillips is in, he will be starting. Unlike Bladek, he was at least able to play in the season finale.

And since Bladek hasn't played at all this season, not sure he would dress - unless they see him as a significant upgrade over MacKellar & Giffen - who have been playing in this offence - as a depth O-line guy.

I'd like to see the full 8 D-linemen in the usual strong rotation: Oakman, Brinkman, Hendrix & Knight at DT. If they had to sit one of the DEs (and i hope not), I guess it would be Costigan or Barlow, and Marion - very good on STs - can play D-line if need be.

"Issues"Mcgee
11-09-2023, 06:30 PM
Huh. This Argos team was so good this season, I almost forgot what it was like to feel nervous before a game.

AngeloV
11-09-2023, 06:37 PM
And since Bladek hasn't played at all this season, not sure he would dress - unless they see him as a significant upgrade over MacKellar & Giffen - who have been playing in this offence - as a depth O-line guy.

I'd like to see the full 8 D-linemen in the usual strong rotation: Oakman, Brinkman, Hendrix & Knight at DT. If they had to sit one of the DEs (and i hope not), I guess it would be Costigan or Barlow, and Marion - very good on STs - can play D-line if need be.

Bladek is Definitely an upgrade on MacKellar at this stage. Giffen has been excellent every time he’s played. It’s too bad someone has to sit. As you say, Barlow and Marion are great STers, but also good at DE.

paulwoods13
11-09-2023, 07:15 PM
MacKellar and Giffen have seen very little action on offence, other than when Nicastro and Ciraco were rested for a game. IMO a 100% healthy Bladek is an upgrade over either as an emergency backup guy.

Marion will play for sure. The question in my mind is which INT sits among Daniel, Costigan, Barlow and Phillips. I haven't done the math for a week or so, but I'm pretty sure there is no scenario in which all four guys suit up. We'll know in about 18 hours.

ArgoRavi
11-09-2023, 11:33 PM
MacKellar and Giffen have seen very little action on offence, other than when Nicastro and Ciraco were rested for a game. IMO a 100% healthy Bladek is an upgrade over either as an emergency backup guy.

Marion will play for sure. The question in my mind is which INT sits among Daniel, Costigan, Barlow and Phillips. I haven't done the math for a week or so, but I'm pretty sure there is no scenario in which all four guys suit up. We'll know in about 18 hours.

Giffen started a few games earlier in the season, as I recall, and played well before going down with an injury himself. If Bladek dresses, I would guess that he will replace McKellar but I am not convinced that Bladek will be dressing.

Costigan may be the odd man out. I can't see Daniel or Phillips not dressing and playing.

OV Argo
11-09-2023, 11:55 PM
Als are going to be without top O-Lineman Lestage, and top ST gunner Zak Lindley; and Canadian receiver K. Julien-Grant has been out awhile now and not going to play - could have added some big-play ability to their passing game.

AngeloV
11-10-2023, 01:19 AM
Als are going to be without top O-Lineman Lestage, and top ST gunner Zak Lindley; and Canadian receiver K. Julien-Grant has been out awhile now and not going to play - could have added some big-play ability to their passing game.

Julien-Grant is so dangerous. Can take a short pass and turn it into a big gain. Spieker and Snead have filled in quite well in his absence though, and Philpot is also so dangerous.

Will
11-10-2023, 11:05 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F-lYnuCWMAAMmCk?format=jpg&name=large

OV Argo
11-10-2023, 11:12 AM
Why is Dionte Knight not dressing ?

AngeloV
11-10-2023, 11:40 AM
I really hope no starter in the secondary goes down. Not comfortable with Harry going in. I would feel more comfortable with Knight replacing Brinkman or Sindani replacing Phillips TBH to get Daniel into the line up.

OV Argo
11-10-2023, 12:04 PM
I really hope no starter in the secondary goes down. Not comfortable with Harry going in. I would feel more comfortable with Knight replacing Brinkman or Sindani replacing Phillips TBH to get Daniel into the line up.

The Als have one back-up DB listed and it's a raw rookie American guy; nobody with any experience at all behind DeQuoy at safety. And 2 of their back-up D-linemen dressing (Gowanlock & Desjardins) never see the field on D in Maas & Thorpe's 7 only need apply system = could be a long day for the Als' D-line with old guys like Sewell & Lemon playing every down.

And I guess the Argos' staff feels Knight was replaceable by another LB in Harleimana (CFL experience and can play) to play STs with a key ST guy like Adeboboye out? Much rather have seen Knight in over Edouard, who might struggle if he was forced to play D (and Harry could play any spot there before him), and who doesn't seem to add too much on STs ?

Be interesting to see if the Argos stick with the main 5 pack for receiver playing time; cause IMO Nield should be in there plenty. I didn't expect Bladek to all of a sudden get a back-up O-line spot with zero playing time on the offence this season - Giffen & MacKellar are fine there IMO.

paulwoods13
11-10-2023, 01:01 PM
And I guess the Argos' staff feels Knight was replaceable by another LB in Harleimana (CFL experience and can play) to play STs with a key ST guy like Adeboboye out? Much rather have seen Knight in over Edouard, who might struggle if he was forced to play D (and Harry could play any spot there before him), and who doesn't seem to add too much on STs ?

IMO that's precisely why Harelimana is in -- to replace Adeboboye on specials. Obviously Harris is not taking on DA's role there, and Knight is not well suited to running downfield on kick coverage. Edouard has played a fair bit in the secondary and IMO is more capable of playing inside than Harry. He has also contributed more on specials than you seem to be suggesting. Not just downfield tackles but blocking and occupying blockers.

We knew some valuable veterans were going to have to sit, because of the team's depth. Knight, Costigan, Bladek and Daniel drew the short straws this week. Nice problem to have (and h/t to RD for sticking with the guys who brung him, in the case of o-line and DHB).

OV Argo
11-10-2023, 02:47 PM
IMO that's precisely why Harelimana is in -- to replace Adeboboye on specials. Obviously Harris is not taking on DA's role there, and Knight is not well suited to running downfield on kick coverage. Edouard has played a fair bit in the secondary and IMO is more capable of playing inside than Harry. He has also contributed more on specials than you seem to be suggesting. Not just downfield tackles but blocking and occupying blockers.

We knew some valuable veterans were going to have to sit, because of the team's depth. Knight, Costigan, Bladek and Daniel drew the short straws this week. Nice problem to have (and h/t to RD for sticking with the guys who brung him, in the case of o-line and DHB).

Zero chance Daniel sits if he was 100% healthy and in game shape, rather than returning from a significant injury. He would be starting at D-half where he was so strong before he got hurt.

Will
11-11-2023, 07:31 AM
Just do it!

AngeloV
11-11-2023, 10:03 AM
So who's having poutine for their pre game meal?

argolio
11-11-2023, 10:27 AM
Let's go!!!!!!!!!

jerrym
11-11-2023, 03:19 PM
What a turnaround from first and goal for the Argos to Als TD. If the Als win turnovers will almost certainly key.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 03:20 PM
Great return and response to Als TD by Leake to put Argos on their fifty.

Mocha
11-11-2023, 03:43 PM
Mostly defensive battle so far, but argos should put up some points here

Mocha
11-11-2023, 03:45 PM
D'oh!

jerrym
11-11-2023, 03:46 PM
Like I said, if the Argos lose turnovers will play a major role as the Argos turn the ball over on downs at the five yard line.

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 03:51 PM
Montreal defence is looking strong today and making plays. Toronto offence not too impressive so far, but Toronto's defence is keeping them in the game.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 03:54 PM
Finally FG points by the highest scoring team in the CFL.

bigzee19
11-11-2023, 04:00 PM
Hard not to get frustrated with the offences performs this far.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 04:06 PM
After being the only coach to win a challenge in the regular season, Dinwiddie saved his win for the East Final!

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 04:08 PM
Argos are looking flat right now and Montreal defence is really stepping up and dictating the game. Geez Argos have got to come out with more energy etc. in the second Half!!!

jerrym
11-11-2023, 04:09 PM
And yet another turnover on downs. Why are they using Kelly on QB sneaks when Dukes has shown he is good at it? Kelly did not look forceful on either sneak.

bigzee19
11-11-2023, 04:09 PM
I swear... Did the offence not watch game film from last week....

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 04:19 PM
yikes!!!!

jerrym
11-11-2023, 04:19 PM
McFadden INT. Argo D has been great. Good enough that to give them the lead in most games.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 04:20 PM
But Kelly fumbles the ball away for the fourth turnover, making turnovers the key to the game so far.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 04:22 PM
And the Argo D saves the ship once again with a sack to keep the Als out of FG range.

Mocha
11-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Man, everything that can go wrong did go wrong in the first half. Luckily we're not behind by much.

Cue the second-half comeback!

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Exactly as people suggested that whomever wins the turnovers is going to win the game. The crowd seems stunned by what is happening. Argos have picked a hell of a game to come out flat and uninspired - not impressive at all so far!!

bigzee19
11-11-2023, 04:30 PM
Did the Argos use all their luck throughout the regular season? Come on boys. Let's get back to winning.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 04:34 PM
I also don't understand why the Argos are using Kelly on QB sneaks from the point of view of injury risks.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 04:44 PM
The best part of the first half was the Trews.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 04:50 PM
Fifth turnover! My warning about turnovers increasing look like the key to the game.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 04:55 PM
McManus knockdown saves the day for the moment but Argos blow it with a penalty on the FG attempt. Talk about giving the game away as the Als get a TD instead.

Argos1983
11-11-2023, 04:56 PM
7 turnovers in 35 minutes of football - this is easily the worst game (so far) that I have ever seen them play in over 50 years considering expectations versus performance - they are at home (undefeated all year) and are huge favourites coming off a 16-2 regular season — an absolute embarrassment

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 04:58 PM
Agree - this is both embarrassing and disheartening to watch!! Can't believe I am going to say this - but should they consider putting Dukes in for a series of play, just to shake things up and maybe change the energy?!!!!

jerrym
11-11-2023, 05:00 PM
Another boneheaded INT by Kelly. After the throw he looked stunned sitting on the field staring off into space.

Mocha
11-11-2023, 05:06 PM
Man alive, what is happening?!

Cue the huge 4th-quarter comeback?

Ahh, well it's been a good year till now.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 05:06 PM
Kelly's balls are quacking all the way into Al defenders' arms and a 21 point lead. He has been forcing the ball without seeing the field in what look's like panic mode in the second half when the half only started with a seven point deficit. The lack of a veteran backup, even if only to spell off Kelly for a short time to start seeing the field comes home to roost.

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 05:07 PM
Kelly's thrown 5 passes, 3 of which have been picked off so far - did they not watch the game Montreal played last week?!!! Kelly is not on his game today, I would put Dukes in and see what he can do. He's a better scrambler than Kelly and maybe can make a difference.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 05:14 PM
There is even a bigger hurt than losing out on a possible Grey Cup. To lose a stinker like this with the crowd now booing the Argos when they have almost double their average attendance this year for this game and more than double last year, means the vast majority of those casual fans, if any, won't be converted into regular fans. This could hurt potential attendance for years, although the faithful will be back.

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 05:16 PM
Well the fans booing the Argos isn't helping the team. Yeah sure they're disappointed with the game, but stick with your team and cheer them on, that's what real fans do!!!

Mocha
11-11-2023, 05:17 PM
There is even a bigger hurt than losing out on a possible Grey Cup. To lose a stinker like this with the crowd now booing the Argos when they have almost double their average attendance this year for this game and more than double last year, means the vast majority of those casual fans, if any, won't be converted into regular fans. This could hurt potential attendance for years, although the faithful will be back.

And after a season of such high-flying, exciting ball too. All around shame, but still a quarter to make something happen.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 05:30 PM
Even though the Argos scored, it looks like Kelly has lost all confidence in his passing, as he ran the ball repeatedly in the drive and also tried to put it all on himself, which usually doesn't work out in the long run.

Mocha
11-11-2023, 05:31 PM
Time for our D to force a big turnover now.

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 05:33 PM
Yeah I noticed the same thing, I think Montreal's defence has gotten into Kelly's head and he's afraid to pass the ball. They haven't got time to run the ball to try and catch up, they need some good passing. I still say I'd put Duke in for a few of the drives, just to change the mindset.

Mocha
Time for our D to force a big turnover now.

Bloody hell, I'm just gonna shut up now.

jerrym
And the Argos bury themselves by allowing a KR TD after making it just possible they could turn this disaster around.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 05:36 PM
Wow! The Argos have not given up as Daniels scores on a long TD pass!

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 05:38 PM
Quick touchdown - come on guys a few more plays like that and we can take the game!!!!

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 05:51 PM
We're going to run out of time - ugh!!!

jerrym
11-11-2023, 05:57 PM
Turnover 8!

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 06:02 PM
No words for how disappointed I am at the moment!! I thought Montreal would be competitive, but I would never have forecast this win against the Argos. The worst game the Argos played all season - unfortunate that it was the most important game!!! Was so certain that the Argos would be going to the Grey Cup this year! Kudos to the Montreal defence, they played a hell of a game!!!!

jerrym
11-11-2023, 06:06 PM
Should have been ninth turnover on easy potential INT.

ArgoGabe22
11-11-2023, 06:08 PM
Argos we’re always kind of still in it. That KOR TD killed it.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 06:09 PM
The Argos pulled a Toronto Maple Leafs in the playoffs. The difference is no matter how many times the Leafs blow it, their fans are back next year in full force. The Argos had a chance to build their fanbase in a major way and blew it.

OV Argo
11-11-2023, 06:16 PM
Well, that should go down as one of the most disappointing & devastating losses in Argo history (up there with the 71 GC and the 88 East Final)

The 16 & 2 curse É

Feel bad for Chad Kelly to have his great season tarnished by a poor performance in the biggest game. But kudos to the Als D - they made plays.

And sorry, but the no Henoc mystery stills miffs me for this year.

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 06:18 PM
Well the comparison to the Leafs is abit ridiculous - the Leafs haven't won a Stanley Cup in 56 years, the Argos won the Grey Cup last year! Plus the Leafs have been knocked out the playoffs in the first round for 6 years and only managed to get out of the first round last year. The Leafs chocking for 7 years is not the same as the Argos losing the Eastern Final this year.

If the Argos continue to be a good, competitive team in the next few years hopefully they can really build their fanbase.

Gotta wonder if the fact that the Argos had no meaningful games since mid-September worked against them, maybe made them lose their competitive edge or their ability to win in tough situations. Certainly don't think it helped them!

jerrym
11-11-2023, 06:20 PM
This game reminds me of the 16-7 upset of the New York Jets, 19 and half point underdogs over the Baltimore Colts in 1969, another horror show for me.

Waffle
11-11-2023, 06:21 PM
Oh, somewhere in this favoured land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light;
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout,
But there is no joy in Smokeville—mighty Kelly has struck out

I guess there will be lots of time narrow to dissect this offensive embarrassment

jerrym
11-11-2023, 06:25 PM
Well the comparison to the Leafs is abit ridiculous - the Leafs haven't won a Stanley Cup in 56 years, the Argos won the Grey Cup last year! Plus the Leafs have been knocked out the playoffs in the first round for 6 years and only managed to get out of the first round last year. The Leafs chocking for 7 years is not the same as the Argos losing the Eastern Final this year.

If the Argos continue to be a good, competitive team in the next few years hopefully they can really build their fanbase.

You misunderstood what I was trying to say. This year the Argos blew it just like the Leafs have done so often in the last half century against a team that is nowhere near its talent level. This was not a comparison of the histories of the two teams in the last half century plus. Furthermore, I'll be back next year, regardless of this year's disappointing end. Hell, I was a fan since 1959, sticking it out through the 1953-1982 Grey Cup famine. It is the opportunity to increase the fan base that most disappointed me when a crowd almost double the season average showed and the Argos had a clunker that is not likely to convert many new fans.

Blue90
11-11-2023, 06:36 PM
Embarassing!

Brilliant coaching by Mr Dimwitty.

Two third down games by Kelly, instead of Dukes. Both attempts could have resulted in easy field goals.

Kelly should have been replaced in the second half. I love Chad Kelly, but he was absolutely terrible. One of the worst games ever by a CFL QB.

Totally unprepared this week for a not great Alouette team.

And no they are not the greatest CFL team ever! Regular season does not count.

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 06:44 PM
You misunderstood what I was trying to say. This year the Argos blew it just like the Leafs have done so often in the last half century against a team that is nowhere near its talent level. This was not a comparison of the histories of the two teams in the last half century plus. Furthermore, I'll be back next year, regardless of this year's disappointing end. Hell, I was a fan since 1959, sticking it out through the 1953-1982 Grey Cup famine. It is the opportunity to increase the fan base that most disappointed me when a crowd almost double the season average showed and the Argos had a clunker that is not likely to convert many new fans.

Yeah I know what you mean and agree that it's a missed opportunity to really build the fanbase. It's a shame that the Argos who have had competitive teams for years have not managed to get more fans coming out, especially since they moved to BMO.

The Leafs on the other hand are pathetic, no matter how poorly they play, fans flock to the game in seats that are massively over-priced. And they have been in a number of playoff series over the past few years where they haven't even looked like they care if they win. Saw on the news the other day that the Leafs are listed as the most valuable franchise in The NHL (something like 2.65 Billion) and despite their sorry record MLSE still pours millions into them and the fans turn out every year. It's baffling to say the least!

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 06:47 PM
Embarassing!

Brilliant coaching by Mr Dimwitty.

Two third down games by Kelly, instead of Dukes. Both attempts could have resulted in easy field goals.

Kelly should have been replaced in the second half. I love Chad Kelly, but he was absolutely terrible. One of the worst games ever by a CFL QB.

Totally unprepared this week for a not great Alouette team.

And no they are not the greatest CFL team ever! Regular season does not count.

Totally agree and was saying this during the game!! When it's apparent that Kelly was not looking good (I think Montreal's defence got in his head) Dinwiddie should have put Dukes in - what would they have to lose. It would be hard for Dukes to play any worse than Kelly did. Still think that the last six games the Argos played were not important really worked agains them. And definitely not the best team when they don't even win the Eastern final!!

ArgoGabe22
11-11-2023, 07:00 PM
Kelly had multiple brain farts and tried being a hero. No shame losing a down and punting it away and trusting your defence. Especially in better field position or take the points in a FG. Instead Kelly was chucking ducks. It’s chess. Sacrifice the pawn for the smarter play.

Skilz
11-11-2023, 07:46 PM
Kelly had multiple brain farts and tried being a hero. No shame losing a down and punting it away and trusting your defence. Especially in better field position or take the points in a FG. Instead Kelly was chucking ducks. It’s chess. Sacrifice the pawn for the smarter play.

You make it seem like Kelly has the experience of Zack Collaros playing in his 9th year - with multiple layers of playoff experience and Grey Cup wins.

The kid is in his first ever playoff start. Was he bad tonight? Yes surely. But have some faith - brighter days ahead. When is the last time this Argos team won more than 12 regular season games? 1997. Jeez. 26 years ago!

This team is coming off a Grey Cup win last year - having just won 16 games this year. Lots of positivity and optimism to look forward to! No player is going to bail on this team after such a sour loss to end the year much like the loss in the 2021 East Final to the Ticats. They will be back with a vengeance.

Antwon
11-11-2023, 07:46 PM
My two cents.
Dinwiddie was out coached. The two third down play calls were horrid. The out coached may have started in Sept when they locked up first place. It all looked good resting players and they still won. But they may have lost the competitive edge. Who knows?
Kelly simply crapped the bed. He made decisions to throw that was pop warner level. MAYBE he should have played against a WPG team that needed the win. Because he folded under the pressure. This should all be analyzed in the coming weeks.
I still believe in this team, coach and QB. But they have to learn from this and come back next year with a chip on the shoulder.

Antwon
11-11-2023, 07:51 PM
Also, I'm sure Chad's uncle will be talking to him tonight and asking "WTF were you thinking!!!!"

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 07:52 PM
I do kind of feel badly for Kelly as he had an exceptional season, but as far as this season, he will be remembered mostly for the bad game he played today. But agree that despite the loss, they are so many positives from this team, so they will be back next season with a vengeance!!

OV Argo
11-11-2023, 08:03 PM
My two cents.
Dinwiddie was out coached. The two third down play calls were horrid. The out coached may have started in Sept when they locked up first place. It all looked good resting players and they still won. But they may have lost the competitive edge. Who knows?
Kelly simply crapped the bed. He made decisions to throw that was pop warner level. MAYBE he should have played against a WPG team that needed the win. Because he folded under the pressure. This should all be analyzed in the coming weeks.
I still believe in this team, coach and QB. But they have to learn from this and come back next year with a chip on the shoulder.

The 2 predictable QB sneaks by Kelly that got stuffed for turn-over, when you have a big power back like Ouellette was standard CFL same old stuff - a bit disappointed in coach D for that.

Kelly might have been pulled just for one series to try to get his head together, but a raw rookie QB instead could have made bone-head plays as well. A bit more run game when Ouellette was rumbling well early would have been smart too - but a lot of same old CFL offence instead.

jerrym
11-11-2023, 08:18 PM
Kelly might have been pulled just for one series to try to get his head together, but a raw rookie QB instead could have made bone-head plays as well.

I've been nervous all season long about not having a veteran backup both in terms of a possible Kelly injury and because of him playing a clunker with no veteran alternative to play even a few downs so Kelly can see how the D is operating.

kellynjk
11-11-2023, 08:31 PM
I've been nervous all season long about not having a veteran backup both in terms of a possible Kelly injury and because of him playing a clunker with no veteran alternative to play even a few downs so Kelly can see how the D is operating.

Yeah the guys calling the game said the same thing - that Kelly was having an "off game" and do you go with an inexperienced back-half" instead. Noted that's why you want some depth with the quarterbacks, including the back-ups!

OV Argo
11-11-2023, 09:49 PM
After watching the Lions/Bombers, I belive the Als have a very good shot to win the GC. Collaros without Schoen as a good weapon is limited; and they might not ride Oliveira enough - they did not stick with him as much in the 2nd half and BC stayed in the game. Als have a better D than BC IMO, and if they get the big turn-overs, return game success they had today - they can win the GC

Will
11-11-2023, 10:01 PM
I just don't know what to say after that. We all thought that Chad Kelly might have a stinker at some point during the season, and Murphy's Law seemed to dictate that it happened today. He just couldn't recover from that pick-six thrown to Dequoy on the first drive. That sequence during the third quarter was just mind-boggling. I thought there might be a glimmer of home when they made it 24-10, but then the special teams gave up a kickoff return for a touchdown.

This 2023 team may be the best Argo team to not win the Grey Cup, but make no mistake, they go in the column with the 1969, 1971 and 1988 teams.

ArgoRavi
11-11-2023, 11:31 PM
Obviously, this is an extremely disappointing result today but Pinball said back in 2019 when he took over that the goal was to have a team which can contend every year, even if they don't win the Grey Cup every year and he seems to have accomplished that. There's no reason to believe that this team won't be a contender once again in 2024.

As far as today's game went, the defence played a phenomenal game and I don't have one bit of blame for them. They gave up just 17 points and 14 of those came when Montreal took over the ball deep in Toronto territory after turnovers. Even then, the defence had the Montreal offence off the field on one of those occasions until Oakman took an unfortunate, though legitimate, roughing penalty on the long-snapper.

On the kickoff return TD, there was a missed block to the back of Jonathan Jones, but you can't challenge that.

This loss is really hung on the offence and mostly on Chad Kelly who had, by far, his worst game of the season - his only bad game - at the worst time of the season. He made a bad decision on the Dequoy INT at the start of the game when he should have just handed the ball to Ouellette and, after an impressive drive, he just seemed rattled and off. His internal clock was clearly broken on the fumble near the end of the first half, after the McFadden INT, and then the wheels fell off in the third quarter with consecutive interceptions on the the first three possessions. He just was pressing too hard and making bad decisions that he hadn't made all season. He will learn from this experience and move forward and will have this team back in contention in 2024. I am calling it already - the Argos will play BC in next year's Grey Cup game in Vancouver.

Otherwise, I don't blame Kelly on the third down and short gambles that failed. They shouldn't have been doing a QB sneak on 3rd and 2 inside the Montreal 5. The offensive line, on both of those plays, just didn't get the push that they normally do either. That resulted in Kelly just pressing more and more and making more and more mistakes.

It is unfortunate that the Argos didn't have a veteran backup QB to spell Kelly, even for a series or two in the third quarter, but, again, there was nobody out there. They were interested in Dane Evans but he was traded to BC by the Ticats and they tried to sign Cody Fajardo but he chose the guaranteed starting job in Montreal instead. Next year, Dukes may be a better option in those situations, with a year under his belt, but that option just wasn't there this year.

Nobody feels worse tonight that either Chad Kelly or Ryan Dinwiddie but they will use this loss as motivation through the off-season and will be back in 2024 with a vengeance.

Did it suck to lose before over 26,600 at BMO? For sure, it did, but it isn't the end of the world. The Argos, almost certainly, will see an increase in season ticket sales and attendance in 2024 and continue to build this franchise up. There are lots of good times ahead in the upcoming years for us all to look forward to. For now, we will lick our collective wounds but eventually come to appreciate what an incredible season 2023 was.

Rich
11-11-2023, 11:46 PM
The out coached may have started in Sept when they locked up first place. It all looked good resting players and they still won. But they may have lost the competitive edge. Who knows?

To me there’s no question this was an issue. Kelly looked like he was still playing in safe mode not wanting to get hurt. He didn’t take off with the ball until the second half when it was too late.

The Kelly we saw earlier in the season loved running with the ball, it not only seemed to fire him up and get him completely engaged in the game, but it was very effective. That wasn’t the same guy we saw last night.

The coach needed to recognize that and maybe call some QB draws or bootlegs to try kick-start Chad’s mojo. Or anything to shake things up a bit. I didn’t see much of an adjustment at all in the 2nd half.

Rich
11-12-2023, 12:19 AM
Did it suck to lose before over 26,600 at BMO? For sure, it did, but it isn't the end of the world. The Argos, almost certainly, will see an increase in season ticket sales and attendance in 2024 and continue to build this franchise up. There are lots of good times ahead in the upcoming years for us all to look forward to. For now, we will lick our collective wounds but eventually come to appreciate what an incredible season 2023 was.

As long as the Argos keep winning a lot of games, attendance will keep growing slowly but surely. They’ve never had a run of sustained excellence lasting years, and I think we’re going to see how that’s the very best thing the Argos could ever do to build their fan base.

ArgoRavi
11-12-2023, 01:06 AM
As long as the Argos keep winning a lot of games, attendance will keep growing slowly but surely. They’ve never had a run of sustained excellence lasting years, and I think we’re going to see how that’s the very best thing the Argos could ever do to build their fan base.

I honestly don't think that winning or losing this game will ultimately have much long-term impact on attendance. The bottom line is that they got almost 27k to attend and I suspect that, at some level, most had a good time in spite of the result; however, the plan on building the attendance steadily and sustainably remains the same. If they can grow attendance next year as much as they did this year, the average will be in the 16k to 17k range. Within a year or two of that, we are looking at 20k and on and it goes from there.

"Issues"Mcgee
11-12-2023, 02:07 AM
I don't know what to say. That game was a load of horse hockey.

Will
11-12-2023, 07:26 AM
Ben Grant's thoughts (https://3downnation.com/2023/11/11/chad-kelly-stumbles-at-the-worst-time-12-thoughts-on-torontos-playoff-loss-to-montreal/) on the game.

He is bang on here:

This was a missed opportunity for the Argonauts organization. A big win, or even an exciting performance on par with any of their other home games this season, would have gone a long way towards winning over thousands of new fans and potential future season ticket holders.

Argo57
11-12-2023, 08:17 AM
A pretty much dead on summary of yesterday’s loss by Ben Grant.

https://3downnation.com/2023/11/11/chad-kelly-stumbles-at-the-worst-time-12-thoughts-on-torontos-playoff-loss-to-montreal/

paulwoods13
11-12-2023, 09:02 AM
To me there’s no question this was an issue. Kelly looked like he was still playing in safe mode not wanting to get hurt. He didn’t take off with the ball until the second half when it was too late.

The Kelly we saw earlier in the season loved running with the ball, it not only seemed to fire him up and get him completely engaged in the game, but it was very effective. That wasn’t the same guy we saw last night.

The coach needed to recognize that and maybe call some QB draws or bootlegs to try kick-start Chad’s mojo. Or anything to shake things up a bit. I didn’t see much of an adjustment at all in the 2nd half.

Bang on. But that shouldn't have waited until the second half. The one thing Kelly has that his predecessor lacked is mobility. Designed running plays by the QB would have caused a huge issue for Mtl's defence. Instead, they were able to focus on stopping Ouellette and covering an Argo receiving corps that is talented but lacks speed. RD has not always made the best decisions on play calling, and yesterday was another example of that.

RB957
11-12-2023, 09:22 AM
Obviously, this is an extremely disappointing result today but Pinball said back in 2019 when he took over that the goal was to have a team which can contend every year, even if they don't win the Grey Cup every year and he seems to have accomplished that. There's no reason to believe that this team won't be a contender once again in 2024.

As far as today's game went, the defence played a phenomenal game and I don't have one bit of blame for them. They gave up just 17 points and 14 of those came when Montreal took over the ball deep in Toronto territory after turnovers. Even then, the defence had the Montreal offence off the field on one of those occasions until Oakman took an unfortunate, though legitimate, roughing penalty on the long-snapper.

On the kickoff return TD, there was a missed block to the back of Jonathan Jones, but you can't challenge that.

This loss is really hung on the offence and mostly on Chad Kelly who had, by far, his worst game of the season - his only bad game - at the worst time of the season. He made a bad decision on the Dequoy INT at the start of the game when he should have just handed the ball to Ouellette and, after an impressive drive, he just seemed rattled and off. His internal clock was clearly broken on the fumble near the end of the first half, after the McFadden INT, and then the wheels fell off in the third quarter with consecutive interceptions on the the first three possessions. He just was pressing too hard and making bad decisions that he hadn't made all season. He will learn from this experience and move forward and will have this team back in contention in 2024. I am calling it already - the Argos will play BC in next year's Grey Cup game in Vancouver.

Otherwise, I don't blame Kelly on the third down and short gambles that failed. They shouldn't have been doing a QB sneak on 3rd and 2 inside the Montreal 5. The offensive line, on both of those plays, just didn't get the push that they normally do either. That resulted in Kelly just pressing more and more and making more and more mistakes.

It is unfortunate that the Argos didn't have a veteran backup QB to spell Kelly, even for a series or two in the third quarter, but, again, there was nobody out there. They were interested in Dane Evans but he was traded to BC by the Ticats and they tried to sign Cody Fajardo but he chose the guaranteed starting job in Montreal instead. Next year, Dukes may be a better option in those situations, with a year under his belt, but that option just wasn't there this year.

Nobody feels worse tonight that either Chad Kelly or Ryan Dinwiddie but they will use this loss as motivation through the off-season and will be back in 2024 with a vengeance.

Very well written.

I take my hat off to the Alouettes. They played a great game. Kind of remind me of the 2012 Argonauts, who were 9 - 9 and not expected to contend. But then got hot and just believed in themselves and won it all in spectacular fashion. When a team finds their mojo, and believes in themselves, anything can happen.

I also feel bad for Kelly, but every great player gets humbled in their careers and brought back down to earth, so to speak. In the long run, this will probably be good for him, it just sucked that it had to happen yesterday. Still, not the end of the world. Lots to feel good about regarding this franchise.

Stevoman
11-12-2023, 11:33 AM
This feels like 2005 again, only worse. It has been so rare for the Argos to capitalize on a championship winning season and this year they did, even improving their record. They did the same thing in 2005 and just like that year they lose in the Eastern Final to the Alouettes. The Argos followed that loss with 2 more seasons of being a very competitive football team and I expect these Argos to come back strong as well. As much as a back to back championship would've been amazing, it was vitally important that the 2023 Argos be a strongly competitive and winning team. They accomplished that and for that I'm happy...but to lose in this fashion after such a great season is extremely painful and frustrating. I guess I should've seen it coming when I saw that they were going to have their largest crowd at BMO, that's usually the game where the Argos crap the bed.

Will
11-12-2023, 12:23 PM
This feels like 2005 again, only worse. It has been so rare for the Argos to capitalize on a championship winning season and this year they did, even improving their record. They did the same thing in 2005 and just like that year they lose in the Eastern Final to the Alouettes. The Argos followed that loss with 2 more seasons of being a very competitive football team and I expect these Argos to come back strong as well. As much as a back to back championship would've been amazing, it was vitally important that the 2023 Argos be a strongly competitive and winning team. They accomplished that and for that I'm happy...but to lose in this fashion after such a great season is extremely painful and frustrating. I guess I should've seen it coming when I saw that they were going to have their largest crowd at BMO, that's usually the game where the Argos crap the bed.

There are three Argo coaches (O'Billovich, Clemons and Milanovich) who had Grey Cup victories early in their tenure (Pinball was more to the middle I guess), but failed to build on that. I guess the jury is still out on Dinwiddie.

OV Argo
11-12-2023, 01:18 PM
For CFL historians: when was the last time a play-off game like that featured 2 teams wearing their main color uniforms, and not with one team having to wear mostly or half white unis ? Maybe it's happened lots in the past, but I don't recall; and I found that feature striking right from the start on TV.

Looking for more bad luck/curse type things to pin the loss on - like the 16 & 2 curse. ;o)

under30ArgosFan
11-12-2023, 06:06 PM
I was so happy to see a big crowd at long last at BMO, a lot of younger folks in section 109 and we shat the bed. I know a bunch of people in my age bracket (late 20s, early 30s) who don't ever watch the CFL telling me they saw the game on TV and were disappointed. Massive missed opportunity and this game sets us back years in term of relevance in the market. This loss is going to hurt. I'm going to be bitter all off-season.

Shatto
11-12-2023, 06:18 PM
After taking time to reflect on yesterday's debacle, here are some thoughts:

.Montreal was a disciplined team and it showed even before the game began. In the pre-game ceremonies Montreal players were lined up at attention whereas the Argo players were milling around on the sidelines. Did that disciplined attitude make a difference--I don't know but it was very obvious.

.This will be the making of Kelly, if he learns from the experience. But he must learn from it.

.The D played very well and deserved to see the team win but the offense and special teams let them down.

.One had the feeling if the team had scored a t.d. on that first drive, the result would have been very different. I suspect if Kelly had been injured on the 1st play, the team would have rallied around Dukes and the team would have won the game.

.Dukes has been very good on short yardage and has been getting better as he gained experience---so why was Kelly in for the early short yardage plays?

.Regardless of the game's result, the team had a great season. They have great personnel and with a few (very few) changes next year should be just as good. But ---this time the goal has to be the Grey Cup not just a winning season --take a lesson from the Blue bombers.

ArgoRavi
11-12-2023, 07:33 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that Kelly will rebound next season and it will be something to watch. He ain't going to be another Gilbert Renfroe.

AngeloV
11-12-2023, 08:57 PM
Well, the result was definitely disappointing, but I for one, am not angry. This was a great season, and I had more fun attending games this year as I have in a very long time. This is one of the most likeable teams we have seen, and I thing that's because Pinball put it together. Character matters to him. I am very confident we will see a long string of contending teams over the rest of this decade. It all starts with great management. Seeing a big crowd was awesome, and I will refrain from making a comment like one I see above in an earlier post. I'm getting too old to get angry over an on field performance. I love this team, and that will never change. Not taking shots at anyone.

On a side note, the last couple of seasons since Argo57 and his sons moved their seats to sit with me and my group, as well as gilthethriill who just lives to damn far away to come to more games, have been awesome. I thank Will and this forum for giving me the opportunity to meet a couple of new, hopefully life long friends through our love of the Argonauts.

ArgoGabe22
11-12-2023, 10:51 PM
I think I’m more upset over the fact that they can’t prove the naysayers wrong that the Argos got lucky last year and weren’t deserving. Going back to back would shut the Western homers up.

Argo57
11-13-2023, 07:43 AM
Well, the result was definitely disappointing, but I for one, am not angry. This was a great season, and I had more fun attending games this year as I have in a very long time. This is one of the most likeable teams we have seen, and I thing that's because Pinball put it together. Character matters to him. I am very confident we will see a long string of contending teams over the rest of this decade. It all starts with great management. Seeing a big crowd was awesome, and I will refrain from making a comment like one I see above in an earlier post. I'm getting too old to get angry over an on field performance. I love this team, and that will never change. Not taking shots at anyone.

On a side note, the last couple of seasons since Argo57 and his sons moved their seats to sit with me and my group, as well as gilthethriill who just lives to damn far away to come to more games, have been awesome. I thank Will and this forum for giving me the opportunity to meet a couple of new, hopefully life long friends through our love of the Argonauts.

Right back at you Angelo, you guys are the best!
Always look forward to seeing all of you, it sucks we now have to wait over 6 months to do it again.
Kudos to our good friend gilthethrill for making the trip down to the Eastern Final, shame the team couldn’t produce a better result but life goes on.

Will
11-13-2023, 08:53 AM
I think I’m more upset over the fact that they can’t prove the naysayers wrong that the Argos got lucky last year and weren’t deserving. Going back to back would shut the Western homers up.

The naysayers would have found something else to harp on, but yes, I see where you're coming from.

Fan Since 70
11-13-2023, 09:54 AM
Well stated Angelo V. I agree 100% with your comments re the fun I also had attending the games this season. I really feel the culture that Pinball and others have established is first class and I am proud to be associated with it. I can't wait to get back at it in 2024.

TICATS SUCK !
11-13-2023, 10:10 PM
Well, where to begin. All the talk prior to this game about this year's Argos being the greatest Argo/CFL team of all time was obviously premature. Because of all the chatter, I was nervous going into this game, thinking it might jinx the team. It's one thing to lose; but to lose in this fashion was totally unexpected, extremely disheartening, frustrating, and embarrassing. For what it's worth Shatto brought up a good point about how the teams lined up before kick-off. Perhaps this lead to bad karma. Seeing the Argos march the ball down the field with ease on their opening drive, only to result in a 14 point swing (assuming the Argos scored the major), foreshadowed how the rest of the game would play out.

The defence was tremendous, keeping the Argos in the game for some time. I have to give some credit to Montreal. They took care of the ball and did a great job of keeping the ball away from Javon Leake, especially on punts. The question now is, after three consecutive winning seasons/first place finishes, can the Argos sustain (to some extent) this level of on field success. History tells us that the answer is no. Hopefully that will change, and perhaps the Argo fan base will continue to increase after some growth this season.

Will
11-14-2023, 08:46 AM
Did Edmonton not replace Warren Moon with Tom Wilkinson briefly in the 1981 Grey Cup? Edmonton was down 20-1 or something like that to the Rough Riders. Moon came back in and led Edmonton back. The 2023 Alouettes > 1981 Rough Riders, however, there is a precedent for the backup coming in briefly to allow the starter to collect themselves in that situation. I appreciate that Wilkinson is a HOFer and Dukes is not, however, I think Dukes showed enough this season to have made me confident that he wouldn't have infinitely fucked things up either.

gilthethrill
11-14-2023, 06:03 PM
Its taken me a few days to digest what exactly happened Saturday, which happened to be my 40th anniversary of my first Argos game (83 EF). I seem to be able to make just 1 game a year now and was able to bring a buddy to his first Argo game.

Thanks to AV for making it happen.

Plain and simple Chad Kelly inexplicably imploded. If he has a bad game the Argos cruise over Montreal, but he was worse than that. Having said that, I have no concerns about this team not contending for years to come. Thanks to MLSE for allowing the superb front office staff to do their job.

Enjoy the offseason folks, it was a historic season.

AngeloV
11-14-2023, 10:30 PM
Its taken me a few days to digest what exactly happened Saturday, which happened to be my 40th anniversary of my first Argos game (83 EF). I seem to be able to make just 1 game a year now and was able to bring a buddy to his first Argo game.

Thanks to AV for making it happen.

Plain and simple Chad Kelly inexplicably imploded. If he has a bad game the Argos cruise over Montreal, but he was worse than that. Having said that, I have no concerns about this team not contending for years to come. Thanks to MLSE for allowing the superb front office staff to do their job.

Enjoy the offseason folks, it was a historic season.

So glad you guys were able to make the game. Hopefully we can squeeze in a couple of more next season.

Rich
11-15-2023, 12:29 AM
I was so happy to see a big crowd at long last at BMO, a lot of younger folks in section 109 and we shat the bed. I know a bunch of people in my age bracket (late 20s, early 30s) who don't ever watch the CFL telling me they saw the game on TV and were disappointed. Massive missed opportunity and this game sets us back years in term of relevance in the market. This loss is going to hurt. I'm going to be bitter all off-season.

Anyone who watched their first Argo game on TV Saturday didn’t see a very good game, but they did see a stadium packed with Argo fans. That is a positive impression the likes of which haven’t been seen for a long time.

Rich
11-15-2023, 01:01 AM
.Dukes has been very good on short yardage and has been getting better as he gained experience---so why was Kelly in for the early short yardage plays?

Early in the season RD decided to use Dukes in SY situations in order to save the wear and tear on Kelly. But he never fully committed to the idea, and he would go back to Kelly if it was a more important situation, because everyone can see that Kelly is better suited for it than Dukes.

The problem is that Kelly doesn’t have the SY reps this year, and timing is huge on SY plays, and we saw the results on Saturday. Go with Kelly or go with Dukes, but it’s dumb to use both.

Going forward I say go with the guy who’s better at it. It helps keeps his head in the game.

paulwoods13
11-15-2023, 08:15 AM
I suspect fans have no idea how much work and prep goes into making short-yardage plays successful. Even though only inches are needed, they are the opposite of throwaway plays. Kelly seemed to handle them too casually, probably because he wasn't expecting to run them and/or hadn't practised them lately. RD has had on-and-off problems managing short-yardage calls and execution in all three of his seasons as head coach.

Will
11-15-2023, 09:14 AM

On the one hand, I'm disappointed at how fickle fans can be in Toronto, but on the other hand, it's the reality we are dealing with.

ArgoRavi
11-15-2023, 10:32 AM
I suspect fans have no idea how much work and prep goes into making short-yardage plays successful. Even though only inches are needed, they are the opposite of throwaway plays. Kelly seemed to handle them too casually, probably because he wasn't expecting to run them and/or hadn't practised them lately. RD has had on-and-off problems managing short-yardage calls and execution in all three of his seasons as head coach.

The biggest issue IMO was the call to do a QB sneak on 3rd and 2 inside the Montreal 5 yard line. That's too far at that point on the field to try a QB sneak.

AngeloV
11-15-2023, 12:50 PM

I thought the Argos erred in going fast tempo on the sneaks, rather than take your time and look for the soft spot. Kelly also seemed to not get low enough on either of his attempts, but I think the fast tempo was a bigger problem.

ArgoRavi
11-15-2023, 01:48 PM
I thought the Argos erred in going fast tempo on the sneaks, rather than take your time and look for the soft spot. Kelly also seemed to not get low enough on either of his attempts, but I think the fast tempo was a bigger problem.

Good suggestion. I also think they should have gone with a fast tempo, in general, earlier in the game to try to kick-start the offence and prevent defensive substitutions. I am surprised that teams don't do this more.

Stevoman
11-15-2023, 11:03 PM
https://3downnation.com/2023/11/15/toronto-argonauts-qb-chad-kelly-reveals-he-suffered-concussions-during-east-final/

Could this have happened on one of the sneaks? Is this just an attempt to blame a concussion for the poor performance?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8