PDA

View Full Version : How many there today?

1argoholic
07-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Stadium looked empty and very quiet. Perhaps this teams needs it's own stadium in Mississauga. Hazel has enough CASH Mo in the bank to fund a new stadium.

ArgoRavi
07-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Stadium looked empty and very quiet. Perhaps this teams needs it's own stadium in Mississauga. Hazel has enough CASH Mo in the bank to fund a new stadium.

20,682 were on hand today. Hopefully they can get a lot of positive media attention from this game and build from there. This was the most exciting Argo home game in years and the best that the offence has looked since at least 2005.

1argoholic
07-07-2012, 06:36 PM
It was a flat out crazy CFL game. I thought we would run Calgary out of the stadium. My wife called it this morning with it coming down to a last second fieldgoal. I thought she was nuts.
Great thing is that we're still talking.

argolio
07-08-2012, 01:54 AM
20,682 were on hand today. Hopefully they can get a lot of positive media attention from this game and build from there. This was the most exciting Argo home game in years and the best that the offence has looked since at least 2005.Seems like an accurate count (I was thinking 22K at the most when I was there), and the crowd was loud at key times in the 4th quarter.

Next home game on a Wednesday will likely see a smaller crowd, but hopefully the team grows as the season goes on and attendance increases.

Hollaway
07-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Watched the game on TV and looked pretty empty and quiet at times, we need a new stadium just for the Argos, seems every major team in this city has their own venue, only the Argos who are treated as second class citizens at Rogers Centre don't.

I think only Hazel could save the Argos from playing at that cement bowl and into a football/fan friendly stadium, but that better happen soon, as who knows how long Hazel will keep her seat since she is getting up there in age.

doubleblue
07-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Watched the game on TV and looked pretty empty and quiet at times, we need a new stadium just for the Argos, seems every major team in this city has their own venue, only the Argos who are treated as second class citizens at Rogers Centre don't.

I think only Hazel could save the Argos from playing at that cement bowl and into a football/fan friendly stadium, but that better happen soon, as who knows how long Hazel will keep her seat since she is getting up there in age.

Maybe the mikes don't pick up the sound very well for the TV. I thought the crowd was as noisy as I have heard in a while. Of couse most of us sit on the Argo bench side and the TV crews booth is up behind the visitors bench. With the roof open that might account for seemingly lack of noise.

CptArcher
07-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Also doesn't help how far the fans are away from the field. I say open up all the rows for fans. The closer we are to the action, the more connected to the game and the more noise we will make.

Mulder
07-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Odd thought I have, but what if the Argos sold only every other row? Until attendance got too much that they needed to and could open up the rest.

One of the biggest beef I have with the sideline seats is my ability to make noise. If someone is sitting infront of me I'm yelling right into their ear.

Will
07-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Odd thought I have, but what if the Argos sold only every other row? Until attendance got too much that they needed to and could open up the rest.

One of the biggest beef I have with the sideline seats is my ability to make noise. If someone is sitting infront of me I'm yelling right into their ear.

You sit in row one.

CptArcher
07-09-2012, 02:00 PM

You have correctly identified the fact that the whole point behind covering the front seats is meant to accomodate for RC's crappy football setup and the lack of incline in the seating bowl.

Your idea is actually a much better one for solving the problem than merely covering the first rows.

Although I can't imagine that would look pretty on TV, so it's probably a non-starter.

CptArcher
07-09-2012, 02:02 PM
You sit in row one.
Buddy, you expect people to believe Mulder has never sat anywhere at an Argos game besides his current season ticket location?

He obviously has experience and knows what he's talking about.

Even if he currently in row 1, he is illustrating a legitimate problem which most people in the RC suffer from. Stop dwelling on technicalities, Mulder's point is valid.

Mulder
07-09-2012, 02:11 PM
You have correctly identified the fact that the whole point behind covering the front seats is meant to accomodate for RC's crappy football setup and the lack of incline in the seating bowl.

Your idea is actually a much better one for solving the problem than merely covering the first rows.

Although I can't imagine that would look pretty on TV, so it's probably a non-starter.

I actually don't think it'll look that bad. If you think about it. As it is currently the the person's head in row a would be mostly covering the seat in row b, and the person head in row A is at the knee level of Row C (like it is in Hamilton)

From the field level, it'll look more full for sure. It has the potential to generate more noise just on the "I don't want to yell in somebody's ear" factor.

As for TV. I'm not sure how much get shown during the game. They are usually zoomed in on the QB/line.

Buddy, you expect people to believe Mulder has never sat anywhere at an Argos game besides his current season ticket location?

He obviously has experience and knows what he's talking about.

Even if he currently in row 1, he is illustrating a legitimate problem which most people in the RC suffer from. Stop dwelling on technicalities, Mulder's point is valid.

Sat midfield my first season. I enjoyed those seats alot. They went up by $100 each so I moved elsewhere.

CptArcher
07-09-2012, 02:22 PM
I actually don't think it'll look that bad. If you think about it. As it is currently the the person's head in row a would be mostly covering the seat in row b, and the person head in row A is at the knee level of Row C (like it is in Hamilton)

From the field level, it'll look more full for sure. It has the potential to generate more noise just on the "I don't want to yell in somebody's ear" factor.

Your idea is really intriguing Mulder.

Has this ever been done before?

No doubt it would look full from the field. That would help the players but I've never seen it attempted so I don't know how it would look on TV, or to other fans in the stadium. You'd have to try to find those seating patterns now in the existing setup, and see if you can tell there's empty rows or if it looks bad.

That would put capacity at close to half of 31,000, about 15,500, so we'd have to double up rows in some places.

Will
07-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Your not limited to the 31,000 seats though because you can re-open the 500 level.

CptArcher
07-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Your not limited to the 31,000 seats though because you can re-open the 500 level.
Yes you can. But wouldn't that defeat the purpose of closing the 500 level, to bring fans closer to the action(charge higher ticket prices)?

Will
07-09-2012, 02:35 PM
...and would this "every other row" set-up apply to the 200 level as well? I don't know the comparison between the inclines of the 100 and 200 levels.

Will
07-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Toronto fans have always been known for preferring to "sit on their hands" too, although there's no fault in trying to find ways to break that mould.

Mulder
07-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Your idea is really intriguing Mulder.

Has this ever been done before?

No doubt it would look full from the field. That would help the players but I've never seen it attempted so I don't know how it would look on TV, or to other fans in the stadium. You'd have to try to find those seating patterns now in the existing setup, and see if you can tell there's empty rows or if it looks bad.

That would put capacity at close to half of 31,000, about 15,500, so we'd have to double up rows in some places.

Last season Ticketmaster had "pick your own seats" for Toronto Argonauts games. But they are not doing that this year.

As for doubling up one some rows. I read somewhere Argos currently have about 10,000 season seat holders.

Pick which rows to open and go from there.

Mulder
07-09-2012, 02:40 PM
...and would this "every other row" set-up apply to the 200 level as well? I don't know the comparison between the inclines of the 100 and 200 levels.

I'd only do it for the 100 level. make the lower bowl look full

CptArcher
07-09-2012, 02:42 PM
Last season Ticketmaster had "pick your own seats" for Toronto Argonauts games. But they are not doing that this year.

Not sure I understand what this has to do with our discussion, but yes, that is correct. That feature actually revealed to me that they were not selling tickets past the first 2-3 rows in the endzone for most games. It seems they didn't want too many people buying the cheap seats when there were so many empty seats in the more expensive areas. Seems like a tell-tale sign that it's time to lower ticket prices.

Mulder
07-09-2012, 02:48 PM
Not sure I understand what this has to do with our discussion, but yes, that is correct. That feature actually revealed to me that they were not selling tickets past the first 2-3 rows in the endzone for most games. It seems they didn't want too many people buying the cheap seats when there were so many empty seats in the more expensive areas. Seems like a tell-tale sign that it's time to lower ticket prices.

Either do I actually. Between designing a new intersection, and posting here. It seems I forgot. I used it last year to estimate how many seats were sold. But it wouldn't be hard to close off every other row.

Will
07-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Either do I actually. Between designing a new intersection, and posting here. It seems I forgot. I used it last year to estimate how many seats were sold. But it wouldn't be hard to close off every other row.

I'm trying to find a good picture of the Argo sideline to judge what this would look like.

argomANIA
07-09-2012, 03:17 PM
How do you enfore that people don't sit in those rows? My section was a mess the whole game Saturday. People just tend to sit wherever they want. People that would come, see thir seat was taken, then move elsewhere. Rinse and repeat when those people came. It was annoying. JUST SIT IN YOUR DAMN SEATS!

Will
07-09-2012, 03:20 PM
How do you enfore that people don't sit in those rows? My section was a mess the whole game Saturday. People just tend to sit wherever they want. People that would come, see thir seat was taken, then move elsewhere. Rinse and repeat when those people came. It was annoying. JUST SIT IN YOUR DAMN SEATS!

I was thinking that myself--nobody wants the Rogers security bothering them.

T-Bone
07-09-2012, 04:05 PM
You would have to put some sort of banner or tarp over top of each row you don't want people to sit in.

CptArcher
07-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Look, everyone knows human autonomy is the enemy. Everyone knows we need a perfect controlled and regulated society where people have no freedom whatsoever under threat of punishment.

You're right that some people would sit in the rows. Not sure how many though, probably few enough that Mulder's idea could still work for the most part.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8