PDA

View Full Version : Players of the week for week 2?

Wobbler
07-08-2012, 11:58 PM
My guesses:

Offense - Ricky Ray, Toronto
Defence - Adam Bighill, BC
Special teams - Larry Taylor, Calgary
Canadian - Andre Durie, Toronto

ArgoRavi
07-09-2012, 12:00 AM
My guesses:

Offense - Ricky Ray, Toronto
Defence - Adam Bighill, BC
Special teams - Larry Taylor, Calgary
Canadian - Andre Durie, Toronto

I am not sure about defence - they might want someone out of the Edm/Sask game tonight instead - but the other three sound right to me.

Will
07-09-2012, 12:02 AM
Offense- Anthony Calvillo, Montreal
Special teams- Larry Taylor, Calgary
Canadian- Andrew Harris, British Columbia
Defence- Don't know

Wobbler
07-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Calvillo did have a terrific game, and a "comeback game" at that. I'm probably being a homer, but I'll stick with my first guess.

But dammit, you're probably right about Harris. Durie was very good but Harris had a breakout game (and a TD).

Watkins is also in the running for the defensive award, IMHO. We should come away with *something* this week.

Will
07-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Calvillo did have a terrific game, and a "comeback game" at that. I'm probably being a homer, but I'll stick with my first guess.

But dammit, you're probably right about Harris. Durie was very good but Harris had a breakout game (and a TD).

Watkins is also in the running for the defensive award, IMHO. We should come away with *something* this week.

You'd think that the defensive award would go to someone from the Edmonton-Saskatchewan game.

Wobbler
07-09-2012, 12:21 AM
I think the league would like to pretend that that game never happened. "Defensive struggle" isn't always a euphemism for offensive incompetence, but it was today.

Will
07-09-2012, 12:22 AM
I think the league would like to pretend that that game never happened. "Defensive struggle" isn't always a euphemism for offensive incompetence, but it was today.

You are going to get those in football on occasion. We like to think it's isolated to the NFL, but it's not. The Argos 2007 team won a few games similar to this IIRC.

Wobbler
07-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Hmm? In the NFL, a defensive struggle is usually exactly that: a boring game between teams with excellent defenses that appeals only to X and O fetishists. In the CFL, "defensive struggle" is usually a polite way of describing a game where neither team can move the ball because of drops, throwing errors, poor offensive strategy, and some good defence.

Midnight Blue
07-09-2012, 02:59 AM
Hmm? In the NFL, a defensive struggle is usually exactly that: a boring game between teams with excellent defenses that appeals only to X and O fetishists. In the CFL, "defensive struggle" is usually a polite way of describing a game where neither team can move the ball because of drops, throwing errors, poor offensive strategy, and some good defence.

Hmmm, indeed. While your description of defensive Football is occasionally correct, Wobbler, I invite you to remember the Defense Tradition this Argo team has had, for, all of the recent eternity. Half of the game is stopping the opposition.

Sometimes that's enough. Then, all the Offence has to do, is to score an extra touchdown or field-goal, and the game is won.

I'm not being belligerent, but I happen to like the Defensive Game. In fact I love it.

Defense wins Championships for a reason. They stop the opposing Offense.

Ka' Pla !

ArgoRavi
07-09-2012, 04:06 AM
You are going to get those in football on occasion. We like to think it's isolated to the NFL, but it's not. The Argos 2007 team won a few games similar to this IIRC.

The '06 and '07 CFL seasons were part of the "dead ball" era, as I like to call it. I like good defence too but I also like explosive offence and that was missing during those two seasons. League-wide, the football has been better since but I definitely want to see more games this year like the first three games of Week 2.

paulwoods13
07-09-2012, 08:20 AM
It has to be Ray for offence, and either Durie or Harris for Canadian. Defence, who knows? As great as Larry Taylor was against the Argos, Tim Brown also had a big night returning kicks for the Lions, and it led to a win. But I imagine Taylor will get it anyway.

AngeloV
07-09-2012, 11:24 AM
I'd go with:

Offence: Whittaker, MTL (98 yards rushing and 137 receiving with 3 TD's)
Defence: Bighill, B.C.
Canadian: Has to be Durie
Lineman: Scott Flory, Mtl-- had some huge blocks on Friday night.

CptArcher
07-09-2012, 02:46 PM
I'd go with:

What about Ricky Ray? You know, the guy who passed for over 400 yards, how often does that happen? The guy who led his team to a 39 point performance? Last time we scored that many was five years ago. What would you be saying right now if Cleo Lemon had had a performance like that?

Will
07-09-2012, 02:55 PM
I'd go with:

Defence: Bighill, B.C.
Canadian: Has to be Durie
Lineman: Scott Flory, Mtl-- had some huge blocks on Friday night.

I didn't watch the entire game on Friday, but Whitaker definitely looked dominant. It's going to be between Ray and Calvillo I still think.

AngeloV
07-09-2012, 04:17 PM
What about Ricky Ray? You know, the guy who passed for over 400 yards, how often does that happen? The guy who led his team to a 39 point performance? Last time we scored that many was five years ago. What would you be saying right now if Cleo Lemon had had a performance like that?

same thing. 235 yards from scrimmage for one player IMO is more dominant that 400 passing for a QB, and the fact that 2 QB's threw for 400+ and another for 360 this week, I think it speaks for itself which is a greater feat.

Will
07-10-2012, 12:05 PM
It looks like Angelo's prediction was correct:

Whitaker- Offensive Player of the Week
Bighill- Defensive
Taylor- Special Teams
Harris- Canadian

ArgoRavi
07-10-2012, 12:29 PM
It looks like Angelo's prediction was correct:

Whitaker- Offensive Player of the Week
Bighill- Defensive
Taylor- Special Teams
Harris- Canadian

I am surprised that we were totally shut out but there were a lot of outstanding performances in Week 2.

argolio
07-10-2012, 10:15 PM
AngeloV 1

Someone else 0

Wobbler
07-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Hmmm, indeed. While your description of defensive Football is occasionally correct, Wobbler, I invite you to remember the Defense Tradition this Argo team has had, for, all of the recent eternity. Half of the game is stopping the opposition.
I wasn't talking about defensive football, MB. I was deriding games described as "defensive struggles" as a way to avoid criticising pitiful offensive performances. Sunday's game was a tragic example.

A good defence can be very fun to watch. Everyone loves interceptions and sacks, but a run stuffed by a good formation and a pass denied by a great individual effort are entertaining too. What riles me is when offensive incompetence is mischaracterized as adept defence by the opposing team.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8