PDA

View Full Version : Vanier Cup to be held on the Friday of Grey Cup Weekend

Will
07-09-2012, 03:02 PM
As per TSN.ca

I always thought this was a great idea and hopefully last year's classic will get more people out to the game. Now, if only U. Ottawa could beat Laurier or Western we'd be all set.

Gill The Thrill
07-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Last year's game was terrific but the Friday night scheduling is so high schoolish.

I prefer the Saturday afternoon time slot for Vanier Cups. The attendance is better as it gives more time for students to travel and attend.

gilthethrill
07-09-2012, 05:07 PM
With the Vanier being held in nearby Toronto this year, I will be in attendance...Gill, how may students actually attend school on Fridays anyway??? :)

Will
07-09-2012, 05:14 PM
With the Vanier being held in nearby Toronto this year, I will be in attendance...Gill, how may students actually attend school on Fridays anyway??? :)

I had an 8:30 am class on Friday mornings 2nd year, brutal, brutal, brutal!

ArgoRavi
07-09-2012, 06:23 PM
I often have to teach on Fridays, especially Friday afternoons, and it is a dead zone. Logistically, if they want the Vanier with the Grey Cup, they have to do it on the Friday night as the Grey Cup participants need to practise one last time in the stadium the day before the Grey Cup. Friday night seemed to work quite well last year and, from what I can recall, back in '07 as well.

Will
07-09-2012, 06:27 PM
I often have to teach on Fridays, especially Friday afternoons, and it is a dead zone. Logistically, if they want the Vanier with the Grey Cup, they have to do it on the Friday night as the Grey Cup participants need to practise one last time in the stadium the day before the Grey Cup. Friday night seemed to work quite well last year and, from what I can recall, back in '07 as well.

Didn't consider that, I would've liked a Saturday afternoon game because I felt the Friday night game prevented me from going to some of the team parties. Well at least, the stadium and parties are in close proximity this year.

Gill The Thrill
07-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Didn't consider that, I would've liked a Saturday afternoon game because I felt the Friday night game prevented me from going to some of the team parties. Well at least, the stadium and parties are in close proximity this year.

I find that there usually competing with an NHL game, and I believe last year even a Leaf game in that Friday night time slot. I can understand Ravi's point about teams needing to practice on the Grey Cup Saturday, but I'm a creature of habit, as most people are, and I always remember the Vanier Cup as an afternoon game. Whether it was 1 pm or 1:30pm at Varsity Stadium on Saturday afternoon, or at 2:30 or 3pm at the dome....I was not an advocate of the 6pm starts on Saturday which had the game going up against HNIC.

That 1 or 2pm saturday time slot saw them have the sports fan to themselves for the Vanier Cup, as even NCAA games are nationally televised in the evening, even though the gamblers would who have the entire sports pak could find a US college game at noon.. I wonder if Pinnacle's gambling website still has CIS football, they were the only site that did. I could be wrong as I'm not a huge gambler.

1argoholic
07-10-2012, 01:27 PM
Been to many Vanier Cups and most are just amazing games. I was lucky to be at last years which was flat out great.

Might just have to skip some Grey Cup partying for a few hours to hit this years.

R.J
07-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Great idea IMO, and should continue every year. I'd like to think with it being the 100th Grey Cup and all, this should add even more exposure for the CIS and Vanier.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8