PDA

View Full Version : The Argos Initiative

marcwagz
07-09-2012, 10:44 PM
I have a little plan.
It may be a little crazy, but I think this city needs a little crazy.
It is also based on a speculative theory, but here it goes...

I think people in Toronto want to like the Argos, but are embarassed to do so.
You see people on the jumbotron at argos games, sometimes there are crazy cheering people, but often its just people pretending they don't see themselves or waving benignly.

Go to a leafs game or a raptors game, sure they don't cheer the loudest, but if you see someone on the jumbo they are always shouting and cheering!

So I leave you with this initiative argo fans.
Convince people that it isn't an embarassing thing to be an argo fan.
Wear your jersey on gameday. Make sure people see it.
Going outside? Wear an Argo hat. I wear mine now whenever I go out.

Attractive people, this is double for you. Especially if you are a hot woman. Its sexist or whatever, but if unattractive people see you in your gear they will be more likely to yield to Argo fever.

Did the argos just win? Hoot an holler, start an ARGOOOOOSS on your way back to the train station and get some friends to make sure it travels down the line.

It is not embarrassing to be an Argo fan.
It is freaking awesome. Wear your stuff with pride and other will be convinced.

to avoid sensationalism and if TLDR, I'm saying wear more Argo gear!

dmont
07-09-2012, 11:20 PM
I agree completely. Analysts talk about drawing the fans back with a winning team. That won't cut it, not by itself. We've had winning teams over the years, but it's never brought the fans back for a long stretch. A cultural change in Toronto is what's needed, but one of those is very difficult to comeby.

Totally agree that hot women wearing argo stuff would go a long way. That's why I've never understood why the Argos never have as much merch as the other teams do, particularly stuff specifically for women (ladies' cut shirts, jerseys, dresses, tubetops, bikinis etc). One of my favourite parts of being a fan is getting Argo stuff for the fiance and bringing her to the game all decked-out.

Another suggestion: get the players and cheerleaders on Much Music and Degrassi every so often. I know they don't have much to do with music, but I've seen sports figures (Chris Bosh, Vince Carter) make appearances at Much occasionally. I know they want to connect with younger fans, and so far, these avenues seem untried.

ArgoGabe22
07-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Mike Bradwell, Cory Boyd was on Much according to the Argos with Nik Lewis and Forzani to promote the home opener. I think its safe to say it didn't work so well.

marcwagz
07-09-2012, 11:36 PM
They should've had Drake there to promote it or something, teens are stupid they only listen to much 'role models'
the argos do lots of good stuff in the community, they are doing their part.
But with the media the way it is trying to cast the argos off a lot of the time, the fans need to rise above that and convince everyone otherwise.

Maybe if somehow we organized an ARGO GEAR day?
I don't know how we would promote it, but if we had a day where every argo fan with gear wore it that would do wonders. Even if just 5000 argos fans were in on it... 5000 argos fans walking around in jerseys on the same day? would expose the team logo to hundreds of thousands of Torontonians.

I ask everybody to add the Argo Admirals twitter account if you have twitter. I am not an argo admiral but I am thinking my ass off trying to find ways to revitalize this market as a fan. the handle is @argoadmirals
you can also Like them on facebook https://www.facebook.com/ArgosAdmirals

The main thing is we need to show support, convince the staff people are listening to their marketing efforts and talk more about it ourselves.
This forum is a good place, I am glad it was set up. I hope we can maybe organize with the argo admirals and get them to send more people our way.

Anyways as for the Argos Initiative, right now is this...
Wear your argos gear, dress your hot girlfriend/wife/fiancee in fancy argos merch and walk around TO and the GTA with brass balls. If people ask you why you like the CFL tell them why, I'm sure we all have our reasons.
Exposure, Exposure, Exposure.

Gill The Thrill
07-09-2012, 11:54 PM
Like your first post even though you said attractive people should wear Argo gear, which means you're telling me not too....boo hoo...(self-deprecation).

As for your second about bringing Drake...leave that poser to the NHL All-Star Game...that guys a joke....and so was the presentation for that All-star event...not one hot looking women just Drake. I shut the TV and went for a walk and never returned that Bettman produced crap.

A hip hop rapper from the ghetto streets of Forest Hill..lol...What a phoney? Who do want to bring in next to attract fans at Argo games? Seth Rogan, another no-talent from Toronto who was given a silver spoon in Hollywood....hahaha.

marcwagz
07-10-2012, 12:10 AM
you don't have to be attractive to wear argo gear, it's just a bonus :D
(I wouldn't call myself attractive but I'm decent enough looking)
as for drake, I wasn't serious about bringing him in, just talking about the fact that toronto youth won't listen to Cory Boyd even though he is awesome because they don't know who he is, they only know who the over marketed "superstars" are
The connection between the Maple Leaf and Blue Jays players, especially on Twitter has done wonders for the Jays popularity. People who would listen to leaf tweets now try and get in on the cross chat between the two.
Thats just because they already knew who the overhyped leafs stars (kessel who is pretty good and phaneuf who is... not so good) were.

But you are allowed in the initiative too. Tell all your argo fan friends.

LLB997
07-10-2012, 02:32 AM
I have a little plan.
It may be a little crazy, but I think this city needs a little crazy.
It is also based on a speculative theory, but here it goes...

I think people in Toronto want to like the Argos, but are embarassed to do so.
You see people on the jumbotron at argos games, sometimes there are crazy cheering people, but often its just people pretending they don't see themselves or waving benignly.

Go to a leafs game or a raptors game, sure they don't cheer the loudest, but if you see someone on the jumbo they are always shouting and cheering!

So I leave you with this initiative argo fans.
Convince people that it isn't an embarassing thing to be an argo fan.
Wear your jersey on gameday. Make sure people see it.
Going outside? Wear an Argo hat. I wear mine now whenever I go out.

Attractive people, this is double for you. Especially if you are a hot woman. Its sexist or whatever, but if unattractive people see you in your gear they will be more likely to yield to Argo fever.

Did the argos just win? Hoot an holler, start an ARGOOOOOSS on your way back to the train station and get some friends to make sure it travels down the line.

It is not embarrassing to be an Argo fan.
It is freaking awesome. Wear your stuff with pride and other will be convinced.

This thread is ridiculous, lol. You play right into their hands by even posting this. I picture you walking around with an Argos hat and a look of terrified paranoia. I have an Argos cap, i wear it and have never even thought about whats above the brim or what someone might think of it. A few times i have had people talk CFL w/ me because of it. My advice, wear your colours, be proud and stay cool. I am not a wigger, i dont wear new era caps, I'm a man who could care less for trendy garbage. Thats exactly why i love the CFL. As long as the Boatmen can stay in business then i am fine with the status quo. Every goofy looking guy in Toronto (and there is alot of them) wearing a Jays cap is exactly why i do not wear mine anymore.

marcwagz
07-10-2012, 10:02 AM
This thread is ridiculous, lol. You play right into their hands by even posting this. I picture you walking around with an Argos hat and a look of terrified paranoia. I have an Argos cap, i wear it and have never even thought about whats above the brim or what someone might think of it. A few times i have had people talk CFL w/ me because of it. My advice, wear your colours, be proud and stay cool. I am not a wigger, i dont wear new era caps, I'm a man who could care less for trendy garbage. Thats exactly why i love the CFL. As long as the Boatmen can stay in business then i am fine with the status quo. Every goofy looking guy in Toronto (and there is alot of them) wearing a Jays cap is exactly why i do not wear mine anymore.

you are very wrong.
A hat is a hat, when I wear my argos hat I look like a guy with a hat on. You clearly don't understand the point, which is to expose the team to the public. You must not know much about marketing psychology. If people see something they become more accustomed to it, the more accustomed to it they become, if they were open to it to begin with they start to like it.
A couple of my friends who aren't even argo fans bought argo hats the other day. I'm making it trendy. And I'm wearing a reebok hat, it doesn't matter what brand it is, just that you show the logo.

Your advice is the exact same as my plan, except you clearly aren't as committed. I think something needs to be done soon by the fans in order to make this team more accepted by the general public.

T-Bone
07-10-2012, 01:31 PM
I am not a wigger, i dont wear new era caps
I don't know why you edited your post to add the above. I don't like the term wigger as it has racist connotations and regardless of that, they aren't the only white people that wear New Era caps. Like I said before I'm not a big fan of the 59Fifty style hats (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?518-Lets-Sell-Out-the-Home-Opener-!!&p=9695&viewfull=1#post9695) myself, but to each their own. At least people have some variety to choose from.

you are very wrong.
A hat is a hat, when I wear my argos hat I look like a guy with a hat on. You clearly don't understand the point, which is to expose the team to the public. You must not know much about marketing psychology. If people see something they become more accustomed to it, the more accustomed to it they become, if they were open to it to begin with they start to like it.
A couple of my friends who aren't even argo fans bought argo hats the other day. I'm making it trendy. And I'm wearing a reebok hat, it doesn't matter what brand it is, just that you show the logo.

Your advice is the exact same as my plan, except you clearly aren't as committed. I think something needs to be done soon by the fans in order to make this team more accepted by the general public.
The fact that you think wearing Argo gear on a regular basis is a "crazy" idea for Argo fans sort of defeats your initiative at the source. If you have to sell this idea to us then changing the mentality that many people have about the CFL and the Argos in Toronto is an even crazier idea. I don't think your proposal is all that crazy because I already wear my Argo gear quite regularly. I also think it's safe to say that many people on this board do as well. The solution to this problem is much more complex and can't be solved by simply fans wearing Argo gear alone.

Mulder
07-10-2012, 01:39 PM
I personally like the Argos Marketing with social media this year. You can also become an Argo Crew Member

sot.ag/MTM1Mjc1MA

bluto
07-10-2012, 01:47 PM
our great team has totally failed for years to give us the fans great merchandise options. flat out disgraceful. even at the CFL shop online, go compare what other teams have by comparison. (sewiouswy, go do this now!)

if that doesn't make you mad, i don't know what will!

if there were more cool shirts, jackets, hats, sweaters, golf stuff, bbq stuff, car stuff... we would all buy it!

how cool would it be if everyone on this forum had car flags? that's the sort of thing that gets noticed... or window decals...

i'm still using a 10 year old Argo ball marker that has a faded logo because i can't get a new one.

how many of you BBQ afficianados would love an Argonaut BBQ cover and tools?

they need to realize that getting everyone wearing cool Argo gear is half the battle.

Mulder
07-10-2012, 01:50 PM
our great team has totally failed for years to give us the fans great merchandise options. flat out disgraceful. even at the CFL shop online, go compare what other teams have by comparison. (sewiouswy, go do this now!)

if there were more cool shirts, jackets, hats, sweaters, golf stuff, bbq stuff, car stuff... we would all buy it!

how cool would it be if everyone on this forum had car flags? that's the sort of thing that gets noticed... or window decals...

i'm still using a 10 year old Argo ball marker that has a faded logo because i can't get a new one.

they need to realize that getting everyone wearing cool Argo gear is half the battle.

Wellllll, I have an Argo Car Flag, they were selling at fan day.
I have a BBQ cover, got it a few years ago. And picked up the BBQ kit last season. They are around.

I am pissed someone took the argo dog bowl from the Jays Shop. It was mine.

1argoholic
07-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Man I love this and it's put a smile on my face. I wear my Argo hats, t's or jersey's because I'm a fan. I had a personalized plate in Mississauga. People know I'm a fan and I don't give a sh!t what most people think. The GTA has been messed up for at least 20 years with how the Argos are viewed. Toronto is the strangest sports market anywhere. Having said that it can never hurt have as many people see Argo merch being worn.
Last week we were shopping at our local Country Grocer and I had on a jersey that reads argoholics on the back. I women giving out ice cream samples asked where I got it. So my wife and I ended up talking to her for about 15 minutes. Her son moved to Toronto with a $1000 to his name about 15 years back. He fell in love with everything TO and is a big Argo fan. She wants to buy him a jersey for a gift. Ok so wearing Argo gear helps even if I'm on Vancouver Island. Plus we do have the nicest uniforms in the league.

We also have an actual Argo helmet logo on my truck. The Jason one. Plus a cool all white original boat logo one a buddy had made. Both those are on the back of the truck and car and on the other side of the windows we have actual Stamp helmet logos.
The Stamps store in Calgary sells the actual helmet logos and for some reason had some Argos ones but don't anymore.

T-Bone
07-10-2012, 01:56 PM

I think the Argos have decent merchandise it's the availability that is more the problem.

Wellllll, I have an Argo Car Flag, they were selling at fan day.
I have a BBQ cover, got it a few years ago. And picked up the BBQ kit last season. They are around.

I am pissed someone took the argo dog bowl from the Jays Shop. It was mine.
The BBQ stuff is available here (http://www.cflshop.ca/istar.asp?a=3&dept=9&class=15&subclass=TOR) and I've also seen it at the Jays Shop at Rogers Centre.

bluto
07-10-2012, 01:59 PM
i'm glad to see that our list of merch now takes up 5 pages at the CFL shop... (until recently it was 2!)

compared to the 29 pages of Rider gear (in their crappy colours and ugly logo) we still have a long way to go

marcwagz
07-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Last week we were shopping at our local Country Grocer and I had on a jersey that reads argoholics on the back. I women giving out ice cream samples asked where I got it. So my wife and I ended up talking to her for about 15 minutes. Her son moved to Toronto with a $1000 to his name about 15 years back. He fell in love with everything TO and is a big Argo fan. She wants to buy him a jersey for a gift. Ok so wearing Argo gear helps even if I'm on Vancouver Island. Plus we do have the nicest uniforms in the league

wow, thats pretty awesome!
I don't exactly live in toronto (takes an hour +30 minutes via subway to get there) and it is very rare that I see argos merch. I saw a guy wearing a full argos jersey the other day and was pretty pleased.

Unless the person is a super hater of the CFL, and they are out there for some reason, they will not dislike your merch, because, lets be honest a lot of it looks pretty awesome. My hat is pretty stylish if I do say so, I've had a couple compliments on it from random people.

Rich
07-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Like your first post even though you said attractive people should wear Argo gear, which means you're telling me not too....boo hoo...(self-deprecation).

As for your second about bringing Drake...leave that poser to the NHL All-Star Game...that guys a joke....and so was the presentation for that All-star event...not one hot looking women just Drake. I shut the TV and went for a walk and never returned that Bettman produced crap.

A hip hop rapper from the ghetto streets of Forest Hill..lol...What a phoney? Who do want to bring in next to attract fans at Argo games? Seth Rogan, another no-talent from Toronto who was given a silver spoon in Hollywood....hahaha.

How lucky we are to blessed by the wisdom of Gill the Thrill again! He goes on and on regaling us with such vast knowledge that us mere mortals can only dream about. We devour every word as if it were nectar from the gods.

Just imagine if he was ever right about anything.

Drake is loved by millions of people under the age of 25, a demographic desperately sought by the franchise. It would be an absolute coup if the Argonauts could ever get him on board.

Seth Rogan is not from Toronto.

Perhaps Gill can tell us again about all the Marxists in downtown Toronto. We hang on you every word, sir.

LLB997
07-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Chris Rudge needs to read this board because he obviously does not know what he is doing. Who knew all he needs to do is skank his girlfriend out in an Argos Bikini and take her downtown to fix this franchise right. (hope his wife does'nt find out)

1argoholic
07-10-2012, 04:34 PM
I know the Stamps have bikinis. haha. Who remember The Argo Store on Front. Now those days were great. It was almost like a meeting place before games and the guys that worked the store became friends with the fans. I swear that every game I was buying something.

matthew
07-10-2012, 04:39 PM
I went to a really great cheese shop on the Danforth this past weekend and was wearing a shirt and the guy behind the counter noticed it and said "they won on the weekend, that was a good game". He didn't strke me as a huge fan but encourgaing he watched the game on TV I guess. One of those people that contribute to the big TV numbers but don't actually go to the game.

marcwagz
07-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Chris Rudge needs to read this board because he obviously does not know what he is doing. Who knew all he needs to do is skank his girlfriend out in an Argos Bikini and take her downtown to fix this franchise right. (hope his wife does'nt find out)
it would take more than one of his girlfriends, he'd have to use 3 or 4 at least

R.J
07-10-2012, 05:10 PM
it would take more than one of his girlfriends, he'd have to use 3 or 4 at least
Unless she looked like this
http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/funny-gifs-kate-upton-doing-the-cat-daddy.gif

ArgoRavi
07-10-2012, 07:04 PM
How lucky we are to blessed by the wisdom of Gill the Thrill again! He goes on and on regaling us with such vast knowledge that us mere mortals can only dream about. We devour every word as if it were nectar from the gods.

Just imagine if he was ever right about anything.

Drake is loved by millions of people under the age of 25, a demographic desperately sought by the franchise. It would be an absolute coup if the Argonauts could ever get him on board.

Seth Rogan is not from Toronto.

Perhaps Gill can tell us again about all the Marxists in downtown Toronto. We hang on you every word, sir.

While there is a lot that Gill says that I don't agree with, I do like it when he posts on here and I hope that he continues to do so regularly. I hope that you do too, Rich, as I enjoy reading your posts, whether I agree or not.

BTW, yeah, I caught the Seth Rogan mistake as he is from the Vancouver area. I get where Gill is coming from about Drake but the reality is that there is much fiction that is created about many, if not most, musical stars these days and Drake is no different in that regard. He will always be Aubrey Graham from the new Degrassi to me. I agree that he represents a demographic that the Argos crave and it would not be a bad idea if he performs as part of the Grey Cup halftime show for that reason alone.

argolio
07-10-2012, 10:36 PM
When did the Drake from Seinfeld turn to singing???

1argoholic
07-11-2012, 12:33 AM
I have no idea who Drake is.

Scotty
07-11-2012, 12:50 AM
I agree with the lack of readily available merchandise being an issue, but I also think that the Argos need to find a way to get it in plain sight in stores like Champs and Sportchek. I have seen Argo gear buried in the back of a champs before, and when asked why it was back there, the manager said "because it doesn't sell" The Argos should go out of their way to make it visible in major stores like that, in as many people's faces in as many different places.

They Jays and the Leafs, some of the players have formed a clothing line called TeamUnit, that combines the sports franchises into one t-shirt that includes aspects of both sports and you can get players names on the back. If the Argos could find a way to get Boyd, Owens or Ray into that system, that would be a great step up for the lads. (Team Unit gear - http://teamunitstore.com/ )

Also, I guarantee that if I saw Kate Upton in an Argo bikini, my brain would burst.

Argos
07-11-2012, 04:40 AM
I have a handful of Argos shirts, but I'd have - and wear - a lot more if it was available. I wear sweatshirts (no hood), t-shirts and golf shirts (cotton, none of the Under Armour style stuff). I'm a tall guy who carries a few extra pounds. It's hard to find anything to wear in Argos gear! Throw in I wear by 2000 sizing, an XL, by 2006 standards a XXL, and by today's smaller sizing, a 3xl (check the 08 Reebok vs 09 Reebok sizes, they shrunk more than a full size), it's not easy. I have clothing from most CFL teams, it's a lot harder to get 3xl Argos stuff than from the 5 Western teams (counting Winnipeg as culturally west). In fact, I've yet to find any online or in person in 3xl. The team store, last season anyway, said they carry no 3xl at all. I'm sure they make 3xl, you see the offensive linemen wearing Argos gear and it's not skin tight - and they're still bigger than me!

Most teams bring in some stuff on their own, above and beyond the league issued Reebok and New Era shirts. Hamilton even does. Id love to see the Argos do this! I'd also love everything from slippers to grill toppers to soap dispensers - I have these in other CFL teams, but I can't find Argos stuff like that.

I'd love to promote the team, but I need to be able to find the gear to do so. With the modern Reebok stuff not fitting, I save the clothes I do have for game day, as when they wear out, there's no replacement.

Will
07-11-2012, 10:28 AM
When did the Drake from Seinfeld turn to singing???

Love the Drake!

Argoscflguy
07-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Soooooo true! It's pretty embarrassing that to look for Argos gear u either have to go online( most times with no luck) or make it yourself!!!!!!!! If they want the Argos to be viewed like a ( major) sports team then they should start having stuff available for the fans like a major sports team!!!!!! Their advertising sucks! If you find gear, it's waaaaay overpriced!!!! 100$ for a damn BBQ cover! Not a chance! And why would I pay 200$ for a jersey, when that's the same price of season tickets!!!! Someone in the front office seriously should be fired! On the brighter side Walmart has some new hats, tees! Pretty cool looking, picked up a cool tee! 12$! Can't go wrong! Arrrrgggooooosssssss!

1argoholic
07-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Check out cupstuff.com

I bought three t's one of each colour of the original boat logo. Best thing is the guy is an Argo fan. My buddy says I'd know the guy to see him but I just can't figure out who it is.

Very nice quality as well.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8