PDA

View Full Version : Will tailgating attract more fans?

Argoscflguy
07-11-2012, 10:29 AM
If tailgating were allowed at Argos games( bbqing, drinking beer,) would we average 30000 fans?

Mulder
07-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Some of us used to tailgate. I don't anymore because of Parking costs, and not living in the city. We don't really have a place to do it anymore either.

ArgoGabe22
07-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Let's just say tailgating doesn't affect my decision whether to attend or not.

Will
07-11-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm with ArgoGabe in that it isn't a make-or-break factor with me on attending games. The tailgates used to be a lot of fun, they started out in a dirt lot on the north side of Bremner approximately where the new Simcoe Street underpass is now. Once we were thrown out of that spot we moved to the paved lot at the corner of Bremner and York. It was much bigger back until 2009-2010 and people would take over one of the corners. But, that lot also got stipend for the condo developers and its size has been reduced dramatically. I think there are those who are still trying to keep that tailgate alive, but as Mulder says the fact that there is few spots to hold it anymore is prohibitive.

shayman
07-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Agree that tailgating would be great and used to be fun but seems impractical now that most of the parking lots are gone.

I keep wondering about Roundhouse Park though. It's built overtop of the convention center parking lot. You could tailgate ten feet ABOVE your car instead of ten feet behind it.

bluto
07-11-2012, 01:25 PM
Agree that tailgating would be great and used to be fun but seems impractical now that most of the parking lots are gone...

:hmmmm:
sad, sad state of affairs. just further crystallizes in my mind how silly it is to have our stadium in an area without parking.

Will
07-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Is there a shortage of parking or is there are a shortage of ground-level parking? There is certainly a shortage of the latter.

shayman
07-11-2012, 02:20 PM
sad, sad state of affairs. just further crystallizes in my mind how silly it is to have our stadium in an area without parking.

Here's a time-lapse video of the stadium under construction. There certainly USED to be lots of space.

http://spacingtoronto.ca/2011/01/10/skydome-construction-in-two-and-a-half-minutes-22-year-old-skyline-flashback/

And, hey, check out this article on the history! Including early plans for a stadium at Downsview.

http://torontoist.com/2009/06/historicist_the_road_to_skydome/

And an ancient cheesy video introducing the stadium and the Name-the-Dome Contest
http://www.torontomike.com/2011/01/name_the_dome_win_seats_for_li.html

I wonder what happened to Kellie Watson of Wallaceburg, winner of the contest; the prize was two tickets for life to everything

Will
07-11-2012, 02:35 PM
The article from the Torontoist is quite informative. Highway 7 and Yonge Street would've been too far out of town I feel to have worked.

1argoholic
07-11-2012, 02:44 PM
You should see the tail gated in Ann Arbor Michigan. The stadium holds over 110 thou and lots get full early. Tailgating is one big fun social event.
In Sacramento a few of us Argo fans enjoyed a tailgate chili cookoff. We ended up watching the Argos lose on the same night Joe Carter hit his World Series winning home run. Anyhow the tailgating was a blast as we were given booze and food everytime we turned our heads. I had everyone going saying we use cat in our Canadian chili. haha.
We also enjoyed a great tailgate in Baltimore that ended me up in very hot water with my first wife. Never make a promise you can't keep. I told her I wouldn't dring until all this free booze kept coming at me. She ened up flying home on a bus trip. hahaha
I'm with a much better place with my second wife.
I think given the right area tailgating could bring in more fans. It's a great way to meet people.

Will
07-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Did people do a lot of tailgating at the Ex?

Argoscflguy
07-11-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm sure tailgating won't be the deciding factor for some of you! But for a lot of people out there it is! Look at our longtime rivals in steel town,like them or not, they can realy tailgate! I met some people who starting going to ivory Wynn for tailgating, and then just got hooked into the tiger cats! A lot of people I work with tell me if there was tailgating at the Argos game they would definitely go! Don't get me wrong I love going down to the Rogers centre just to watch football, but there is no comparison when tailgating is involved! That why we need a stadium out of the downtown core! With huge gravel lots, we would average 30000 easy!

1argoholic
07-11-2012, 05:48 PM
No tailgating at the Ex that I recall.

LLB997
07-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Here's a time-lapse video of the stadium under construction. There certainly USED to be lots of space.

http://spacingtoronto.ca/2011/01/10/skydome-construction-in-two-and-a-half-minutes-22-year-old-skyline-flashback/

And, hey, check out this article on the history! Including early plans for a stadium at Downsview.

http://torontoist.com/2009/06/historicist_the_road_to_skydome/

And an ancient cheesy video introducing the stadium and the Name-the-Dome Contest
http://www.torontomike.com/2011/01/name_the_dome_win_seats_for_li.html

I wonder what happened to Kellie Watson of Wallaceburg, winner of the contest; the prize was two tickets for life to everything

Shayman,
I am certain the good folks at Rogers are honouring the tickets for life prize that Kellie won. No need to type "sarcasm off" on this site when it comes to Rogers.

Argoscflguy
07-11-2012, 10:22 PM
What's up argonuts? Just want to know if anyone is still tailgating in any of the parking lots! Maybe we can all meet at a certain lot?

Will
07-12-2012, 10:19 AM
I believe that there are some who still tailgate at what's left of the lot at Bremner and York, but many (including myself) have moved on.

AngeloV
07-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Never been a tail gate guy. For me, the game is the event.

Will
07-12-2012, 11:00 AM

You've stopped by on occasion to say hello.

Mulder
07-12-2012, 12:51 PM
Agree that tailgating would be great and used to be fun but seems impractical now that most of the parking lots are gone.

I keep wondering about Roundhouse Park though. It's built overtop of the convention center parking lot. You could tailgate ten feet ABOVE your car instead of ten feet behind it.

We could do what the guys in Montreal do. They have a cart with all their tailgating needs. And just take it back to their car/truck about 30 minutes before gametime. It's something I may be interested in doing. Just have to build it.

AngeloV
07-12-2012, 01:23 PM
You've stopped by on occasion to say hello.

True, because for the most part, you're a good bunch of guys and I like to meet who I am arguing with and calling idiots on here (Even T-Bone LOL)..

T-Bone
07-12-2012, 01:40 PM
True, because for the most part, you're a good bunch of guys and I like to meet who I am arguing with and calling idiots on here (Even T-Bone LOL)..
What happens on the board stays on the board. That's the way I look at it. I'm more then happy to grab the first round when meeting up with other people from the board. I personally feel meeting up is the best way to strengthen the current fan base.

ArgoGabe22
07-12-2012, 02:54 PM

I'm the same way. I saw tailgaters before baseball games in the states playing games with bean bags, whats the point? You can just do that in the park while picnicking.

There's nothing wrong with tailgating if you have a good group and don't play these dumb games lol. For me coming from Mississauga via transit with my dad and brother it just doesn't make sense for us.

Will
07-12-2012, 02:57 PM
We could do what the guys in Montreal do. They have a cart with all their tailgating needs. And just take it back to their car/truck about 30 minutes before gametime. It's something I may be interested in doing. Just have to build it.

We'd also need to pick out a site. They are fortunate to have Jeanne Mance Park/Fletcher's Fields right near the stadium.

shayman
07-12-2012, 03:17 PM
We'd also need to pick out a site. They are fortunate to have Jeanne Mance Park/Fletcher's Fields right near the stadium.

Roundhouse Park! It's right there! It's right on top of a parking lot!

http://goo.gl/maps/LFaA

Whether they'd be OK with it - whoever "they" is - I dunno, but it's a great location.

T-Bone
07-12-2012, 03:18 PM

Whether they'd be OK with it - whoever "they" is - I dunno, but it's a great location.
With out permission (which means permits) I'm pretty sure a tailgate there would get shut down extremely quickly even if there were no alcohol and just BBQs.

R.J
07-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Makes sense to me.
I've often wonder why there never too many people there, are Argos fans not allowed there ?

Will
07-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Makes sense to me.
I've often wonder why there never too many people there, are Argos fans not allowed there ?

Maybe it's just never occurred to anyone. The problem with alcohol on that site is that the Steamwhistle Brewery is there.

shayman
07-12-2012, 03:23 PM
With out permission (which means permits) I'm pretty sure a tailgate there would get shut down extremely quickly even if there were no alcohol and just BBQs.

I would point out that there is a friendly brewery - Steam Whistle - right in the roundhouse building. If Steam Whistle could ever be persuaded to sponsor something, you never know what might be possible. Maybe you buy your beers from them and drink them on their patio and do the rest of the tailgating right next door.

also FYI Steam Whistle Brewery has been very friendly to Argonotes (um, sometimes even with free beer) whenever we've decided to crash in there for a pregame performance.

Of course there's a museum and a Leon's furniture store on site too (both of which have also been friendly to the band.)

Somebody ought to have a chat with Steam Whistle just to see what might be doable.

Will
07-12-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm not accusing Steamwhistle of bring unfriendly towards the Argonauts.

The issue I'm thinking about is the same issue that was discussed when one of the Harborfront lots adjacent to a Beer Store was discussed. Would the same rules against drinking in that lot apply to Roundhouse Park for the same reasons? Or was the problem with the Harborfront lot simply that it was a city-run lot.

shayman
07-12-2012, 03:32 PM

Got it. I'm just thinking that it might be possible for a brewery to do something (sell beer, let people consume it) on their own property that ordinary people cannot do in an ordinary parking lot.

T-Bone
07-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I would point out that there is a friendly brewery - Steam Whistle - right in the roundhouse building. If Steam Whistle could ever be persuaded to sponsor something, you never know what might be possible. Maybe you buy your beers from them and drink them on their patio and do the rest of the tailgating right next door.

also FYI Steam Whistle Brewery has been very friendly to Argonotes (um, sometimes even with free beer) whenever we've decided to crash in there for a pregame performance.

Of course there's a museum and a Leon's furniture store on site too (both of which have also been friendly to the band.)

Somebody ought to have a chat with Steam Whistle just to see what might be doable.
It could be looked in to but then it's more like going to a bar then a tailgate. You wouldn't be able to BBQ there. Also I don't know if they need permits for the patio or not? Liquor laws are funny when it comes to breweries. I know they can't sell you the draft beer only bottles but they are allowed to give you a sample of the draft.

The issue I'm thinking about is the same issue that was discussed when one of the Harborfront lots adjacent to a Beer Store was discussed. Would the same rules against drinking in that lot apply to Roundhouse Park for the same reasons? Or was the problem with the Harborfront lot simply that it was a city-run lot.
You technically can't have open alcohol anywhere that isn't licensed unless a permit has been issued.

Will
07-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Got it. I'm just thinking that it might be possible for a brewery to do something (sell beer, let people consume it) on their own property that ordinary people cannot do in an ordinary parking lot.

It's definitely possible, but I think part of what we're really trying to find, and it is extremely difficult now, is to find a place to get an independent tailgate free of any sort of corporate sponsorship.

Mulder
07-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Ok. I looked at the schedule. It's not very "tailgate friendly" if we wanted to try this.

However, One Date stuck out like a sore thumb.

Mon Oct 08 Saskatchewan AT Toronto 04:30 PM

Thanksgiving Monday. We could setup have a most of the day tailgate, and serve turkey and stuffing and whatnot.

Bill it at another Argofans.com meetup. I have no problem providing food if I can recover the costs. $3-5 bucks a plate IF that.

Added to that, it's a holiday. Not busy and we could be left alone. We could even sneak and park in the steamwhistle parking lot. That would be awesome.....

I'm the same way. I saw tailgaters before baseball games in the states playing games with bean bags, whats the point? You can just do that in the park while picnicking.

There's nothing wrong with tailgating if you have a good group and don't play these dumb games lol. For me coming from Mississauga via transit with my dad and brother it just doesn't make sense for us.

For me, the tailgate is about meeting with friends and having a good meal, and chatting about football, life and whatever. Even throw a few around I've made many friends because of it.

Will
07-12-2012, 03:50 PM
You technically can't have open alcohol anywhere that isn't licensed unless a permit has been issued.

True, but I think the discussion is that it would be somehow enforced more heavily in close proximity to a beer store.

For me, the tailgate is about meeting with friends and having a good meal, and chatting about football, life and whatever. Even throw a few around I've made many friends because of it.

That's basically what the argofans/13thman/cflfansfightcancer tailgates have always been about. We've never played with bean bags, there are those guys who play horseshoe in Hamilton though.

Argoscflguy
07-12-2012, 09:49 PM
Hey argofan87 says a lot for the fans in steeltown! Lol and who still plays with bean bags?

Fungi
07-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Why can't you have a tailgate party close to a subway station and then go on from there? It takes maybe 10 to 20 minutes....You'd all be TTC ambassadors on the way in.

Argoscflguy
07-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Why not just tailgate on the roof of that tall condo next to Rogers centre, then we can just bungie it in?

1argoholic
07-12-2012, 11:57 PM
This is why I'd just hit Badailis before and after. For years there's been great places that we'd go to. Good food, booze and plenty of fans.

ArgoFan1
07-13-2012, 12:25 AM
There is still a pretty good sized lot on Rees at the corner of Queens Quay, just south of the Gardiner. Try tailgating in there. Only a 2 minute walk to the stadium, if that. I used to park in there quite often, but have been going underground south of the stadium for a while now.

ticatfan
07-13-2012, 10:57 AM
I am always in favour of tailgating. Like Mulder says, it's about meeting with a few friends. Next game, July 18th, wednesday? hmm, I will be there in the lot

I always thought it was a good alternative

Argoscflguy
07-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Hey ticatfan!.... Double blue gonna give those pussy cats a pounding! Lol Aaaaaarrrrggggggooosssssss!!!!!!!

ArgoDave
07-13-2012, 10:07 PM
I am always in favour of tailgating. Like Mulder says, it's about meeting with a few friends. Next game, July 18th, wednesday? hmm, I will be there in the lot

Me too quite likely.

There are lots to the west of the Dome but no one ever seems to want to go there. I suppose there's always Hoops at least they have good beer.

There is still a pretty good sized lot on Rees at the corner of Queens Quay, just south of the Gardiner. Try tailgating in there. Only a 2 minute walk to the stadium, if that. I used to park in there quite often, but have been going underground south of the stadium for a while now.

They are pretty strict now about Alcohol, signs all over the place. Would be a good lot tho....

ArgoFan1
07-14-2012, 02:00 AM
I recall hearing last year that the provincial governement was going to change the laws to allow alcohol at private events like tailgating to attract visitors from the US, probably. I wonder what ever happened to that.

Ballstothewall
07-14-2012, 03:30 PM
You tell them T-Bone!!!!!

ticatfan
07-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Before the Jays, we would go to the side of the Roundhouse, right by Rees street for a couple beers. It is actually not bad, but not big. I would think any cooking would be shut down. Steve still holds his tailgate in the tiny parking lot with BBQ etc

7dj83r8f78t4alf8