PDA

View Full Version : Rogers cuts Bills in Toronto Series ticket prices

R.J
07-11-2012, 02:18 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/rogers-cuts-ticket-prices-to-bills-games-in-toronto/article4405092/
http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=400367&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed#YourCallTop

A lot of cuts were made, still rather expansive though, also love how they state "The reduced price-point is fantastic value for a premium sporting event. These ticket prices are now more in line with the average NFL ticket price and are the right price-point in this market,". So why were hey overcharging originally ?

Also still no word on an extension for the Bills in Toronto Series.

1argoholic
07-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Rogers is so full of crap! 50,000? Yah right how many actually paid? This was a huge bust for Rogers.

R.J
07-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Rogers is so full of crap! 50,000? Yah right how many actually paid? This was a huge bust for Rogers.
28,000 paid is the number being floated around.

Will
07-11-2012, 04:05 PM
The article seems to use very complimentary language towards the Bills in TO as if to let them off easily. I know that it isn't a column though so we'll have to see what the pundits have to say.

LLB997
07-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Rogers is a Joke, cancelled Rogers years ago because of this failed experiment. I'll see the Argos when i want to see football in a concrete box, and i'll see the Ticats when i want to tailgate. Buffalo fits into no equation at all.

Gill The Thrill
07-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Still $85 in the 500 level before service charges and HST....which means there still over $100 a ticket when all is said and done.

ArgoGabe22
07-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Never have been, never will and don't care what they do to be honest. I wouldn't take these even if they were free.

matchuk
07-11-2012, 10:02 PM
a group of us just bought bills/titans tix in buffalo for october...less then $80 each to sit 300 level, one section off centre.....

Deerkeeper
07-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Someone over on the cfl.ca form mentioned this, so I thought I would post it here. I wonder if any reporter in Toronto has the guts to say this on air.

With David Pratt - the NFL never belonged in Canada (http://www.cknw.com/sports/neil_macrae_comment.aspx)

There is another similar post for July 11 just below the first one.

anthonyrussell
07-12-2012, 04:31 PM
From something of an outsiders perspective, I understand the logic behind doing this. The International Series over here worked relatively well to start with. The games were well attended (even if the only competitive game was the Saints/Chargers) and for some sort of incursion into Canada of this nature it was always going to be the Bills or the Seahawks going to Vancouver. The NFL has been about expanding its brand worldwide for ages and Canada is a very logical step for the NFL if you look at that brand expansion from their perspective.

The problem of course is that Bell overpaid massively and the Buffalo Bills brand is not substantial enough to warrant the money Bell paid.

That said the games here in London have worked so well so what have they done? Given us the St. Louis Rams for 3 years...whatever they serve in the canteen at NFL headquarters, don't touch it.

argolio
07-12-2012, 09:08 PM
The problem of course is that Bell overpaid massively and the Buffalo Bills brand is not substantial enough to warrant the money Bell paid.Rogers, not Bell.

argos1873
07-12-2012, 09:41 PM
If I wanted to see a Bills game, I would rather go see one in Buffalo, where there are real Bills fans and therefore a real atmosphere, not a bunch of BS a-hole wannabe NFL types who think they are going to see "superior" football like I'm sure show up at the Robbers Centre.

LLB997
07-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Rogers, not Bell.

Same sh@t, different smell.

argolio
07-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Same sh@t, different smell.You're telling me! I just had a wonderful experience with both of them involving burying cables and one company cutting the other's by "mistake".

ArgoRavi
07-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Someone over on the cfl.ca form mentioned this, so I thought I would post it here. I wonder if any reporter in Toronto has the guts to say this on air.

With David Pratt - the NFL never belonged in Canada (http://www.cknw.com/sports/neil_macrae_comment.aspx)

There is another similar post for July 11 just below the first one.

What is Brunt saying these days about the NFL in Toronto or is he only covering soccer now?

anthonyrussell
07-13-2012, 02:18 AM
Rogers, not Bell.

Apologies, the names all kind of blur together after a while.

Midnight Blue
07-13-2012, 03:38 AM
I'm probably the only one on this forum, who is not afraid of an NFL team coming to Toronto. Say, the Toronto Tontos. If we truly believe that our game, the CFL, is more fun and exciting, then I believe that we should not be afraid of any competition. It would be in the true spirit of Football. Fear and Football, are not synonymouse. Yes, mouse. Anyway, this has all been discussed before, but my question is, why not open up the 500 Level for Argo games again? What's it been, 5 years or more, since the 500 Level has been shuttered?

I used to sit up there. With the middle-classes. It was fun. I even sometimes learned new words.

Humour aside, the 500 Level was fun. It was also a great vantage point from which to see a game.

Just a thought.

R.J
07-13-2012, 12:46 PM
I'm probably the only one on this forum, who is not afraid of an NFL team coming to Toronto. Say, the Toronto Tontos. If we truly believe that our game, the CFL, is more fun and exciting, then I believe that we should not be afraid of any competition. It would be in the true spirit of Football. Fear and Football, are not synonymouse. Yes, mouse. Anyway, this has all been discussed before, but my question is, why not open up the 500 Level for Argo games again? What's it been, 5 years or more, since the 500 Level has been shuttered?

I used to sit up there. With the middle-classes. It was fun. I even sometimes learned new words.

Humour aside, the 500 Level was fun. It was also a great vantage point from which to see a game.

Just a thought.
The issue is the fan base Midnight, currently the Argos are already at their die-hard 20,000 fan base, which will show up no matter what. The issues that guaranteed would occur are that the corporate money would evaporate (similar if not worse than when the Blue Jays arrived) and the media coverage that Argos fans already dislike would probably get ten times worse for the Argos and CFL. It also would be extremely difficult to rebuild and grow the Argos fan base, as any new fans would be drawn by the hype, "cool factor" and "prestige" of the Toronto NFL franchise.

argotom
07-15-2012, 08:03 PM
What is Brunt saying these days about the NFL in Toronto or is he only covering soccer now?

Quiet as a church mouse now that he is vacationing in Nfld.
Oh yes, the very same NFL cheerleader who said it would take minutes to sellout in advance all 5 year game tickets.
As we know, Rogers and good on them have lost upwards of $20M per game and possibly more.

R.J
07-15-2012, 08:24 PM
As we know, Rogers and good on them have lost upwards of $20M per game and possibly more.
Where is this number coming from ???
It cost Rogers $ 9.75 million for each game, so is it costing Rogers $ 10.25 million for marketing and advertising plus expenses for running the game at Skydome ?
That also means that they're getting no revenue back, which doesn't make much sense.

paulwoods13
07-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Quiet as a church mouse now that he is vacationing in Nfld.

Since you never listen to the Fan and never read Brunt's writing (and of course never watch the NFL, but that's a different issue), how is it you know Brunt's vacation itinerary, argotom?

argotom
07-15-2012, 09:14 PM
That's the math that came out when McCown on 590 has been saying for quite some time.
Do the math, the revunes do not add up, didn't sell any tickets and papering the house.

argotom
07-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Since you never listen to the Fan and never read Brunt's writing (and of course never watch the NFL, but that's a different issue), how is it you know Brunt's vacation itinerary, argotom?

Unfortunately I have a bad habit of flipping channels when driving home and caught McCown talking to Brunt from Nfld, his summer home for the past many years.
But no I do not hang on to Fan 590 with their one sided coverage of anything but the CFL.

R.J
07-15-2012, 10:00 PM
That's the math that came out when McCown on 590 has been saying for quite some time.
Do the math, the revunes do not add up, didn't sell any tickets and papering the house.
Can't really do the math because I have no idea how much they spent on marketing and advertising, also Rogers owns the dome so again not sure how much it costs to run a game at the dome. I also highly doubt that Rogers didn't sell any tickets, yes the house is papered big time, but there's at least 20k-28,000 paying customers (even is most are discounts).

I just want to know where you came up with $20 million, how your math came up with that number.

Will
07-15-2012, 10:11 PM
Skip to 6:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZMEDfMecFE&feature=related

argolio
07-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Where is this number coming from ???
It cost Rogers $ 9.75 million for each game, so is it costing Rogers $ 10.25 million for marketing and advertising plus expenses for running the game at Skydome ?
That also means that they're getting no revenue back, which doesn't make much sense.They lost a lot of money no doubt, but I can't see it being $20 million a game. Clearly some tickets were sold at full price (we'll likely never know but I'm guessing a maximum of 25%), and some at discounted prices.

It's very hard to believe they spent $10M per game on ads and promotion. Even half that amount seems a stretch. And they probably did okay business on beer and concessions.

argolio
07-16-2012, 01:21 AM
By the way, A.T. mentioned the Fan's CFL coverage -- but is it just me or has there been virtually no CFL coverage on Prime Time recently? Did Bob McCown get canned by the Grey Cup committee or something? Is this a recent Rogers directive?

In a related topic, Brian Burke stopped going on Prime Time after McCown called for Burke's firing a few months ago. Yet Burke appeared last week, and McCown was totally non-confrontational. Was that perhaps because Rogers now officially owns the Leafs?

Chips are definitely falling.

Will
07-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Burke had to start talking to somebody again because he probably burned his bridge with everyone :)

argotom
07-16-2012, 04:55 PM
By the way, A.T. mentioned the Fan's CFL coverage -- but is it just me or has there been virtually no CFL coverage on Prime Time recently? Did Bob McCown get canned by the Grey Cup committee or something? Is this a recent Rogers directive?

In a related topic, Brian Burke stopped going on Prime Time after McCown called for Burke's firing a few months ago. Yet Burke appeared last week, and McCown was totally non-confrontational. Was that perhaps because Rogers now officially owns the Leafs?

Chips are definitely falling.

You are correct.
I do not listen but check from time to time to hear the topics and specifically the CFL, but it has been a zero for either the Argos or CFL.
I have changed my view on McCown who used to classify himself as a big Argo and CFL fan.
I think not and that was pure lip service just like the other pro NFL cheerleaders and anti CFL on air staff.

argolio
07-16-2012, 08:32 PM
It's also possible McCown doesn't really have a choice in the matter.

paulwoods13
07-16-2012, 09:19 PM
You are correct.
I do not listen but check from time to time to hear the topics and specifically the CFL, but it has been a zero for either the Argos or CFL.
I have changed my view on McCown who used to classify himself as a big Argo and CFL fan.
I think not and that was pure lip service just like the other pro NFL cheerleaders and anti CFL on air staff.

Argotom, you claim not to listen but also claim to know that the Fan never covers the CFL except to criticize it. If all you do is "check from time to time," there is no way you could know how often, and how, they cover the CFL. Honestly, there is no shame in listening to both sports talk stations from time to time, or to admitting it.

argotom
07-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Argotom, you claim not to listen but also claim to know that the Fan never covers the CFL except to criticize it. If all you do is "check from time to time," there is no way you could know how often, and how, they cover the CFL. Honestly, there is no shame in listening to both sports talk stations from time to time, or to admitting it.

I admit that Fan590 is no longer on my speed dial.
I admit that when I am in my car I do check both Team 1050 and Fan 590.
I admit that I am disappointed big time with Team 1050, whose coverage is marginally better but really a "lite" Fan590.
PW, I(we) also can only dream that one day we will get an all CFL/Argo station, or how about an all CFL TV channel?

R.J
07-17-2012, 12:44 AM
You can easily check the lack of CFL content on fan590.com, then click the on demand link, I don't listen to the fan anymore, but I do know they barely have any cfl content.

They lost a lot of money no doubt, but I can't see it being $20 million a game. Clearly some tickets were sold at full price (we'll likely never know but I'm guessing a maximum of 25%), and some at discounted prices.

It's very hard to believe they spent $10M per game on ads and promotion. Even half that amount seems a stretch. And they probably did okay business on beer and concessions.
That's the way I see it, I think the loses per game are closer to $10 million than $20 million, they've got to make some money off of tickets, facility/convenience fess, and concessions.

R.J
07-17-2012, 12:49 AM
I admit that Fan590 is no longer on my speed dial.
I admit that when I am in my car I do check both Team 1050 and Fan 590.
I admit that I am disappointed big time with Team 1050, whose coverage is marginally better but really a "lite" Fan590.
PW, I(we) also can only dream that one day we will get an all CFL/Argo station, or how about an all CFL TV channel?
I think you mean TSN 1050, it hasn't been Team 1050 since 2001-02.
BTW the last time the CFL have the CFL network the league almost collapsed.

argotom
07-17-2012, 04:16 PM
I think you mean TSN 1050, it hasn't been Team 1050 since 2001-02.
BTW the last time the CFL have the CFL network the league almost collapsed.

That was in the 90's when the league was on the brink.
It was not a dedicated channel, merely the league produced and did their own telecasts of some games.
I am talking about in this era of thousands of channels, a dedicated CFL 24/7 variety.

R.J
07-17-2012, 06:39 PM
That was in the 90's when the league was on the brink.
It was not a dedicated channel, merely the league produced and did their own telecasts of some games.
I am talking about in this era of thousands of channels, a dedicated CFL 24/7 variety.
You are correct it wasn't a dedicated network, the CFN used affiliate stations, point i was trying to make was making a CFL network could have a negative effect.
A CFL only radio station IMO would only be possible on SiriusXM, which would cost big $$$$.

Hollaway
07-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Like with everything Rogers does, they over charge, as far as a CFL Network, or a CFL only radio station, that would be awesome.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8