PDA

View Full Version : July 18th 2012: Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs. Toronto Argonauts

T-Bone
07-15-2012, 08:56 AM
http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/wpg.png vs. http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/tor.png

Week 4
Wednesday, July 18th 2012 at 7:30pm ET.
Rogers Centre. Toronto, ON.

TV: TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=508)
TSN Mobile TV: Details Here (http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/)
Radio: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/radio/feature/?id=43622)
Audio Webcast: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/Toronto/listen/)

US Viewing:
Video Webcast: ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/channel/espn3)

Depth Chart: Here (http://www.argonauts.ca/depthchart/list/team/7/year/2012)

Pre-Game Tailgate: Hoops (http://hoopssportsbarandgrill.com/) (125 Bremner Blvd. (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=125+Bremner+Blvd.,+Toronto&hl=en&ll=43.642256,-79.383066&spn=0.011227,0.019205&sll=43.642756,-79.379847&sspn=0.011227,0.019205&hnear=125+Bremner+Blvd,+Toronto,+Ontario+M5J+3A8,+ Canada&t=m&z=16)) Starting at 5:30pm

marcwagz
07-15-2012, 09:53 AM
after a disappointing loss at least we have another game coming up soon.
Wednesday night game is kind of weird...?
anybody going to this one?

Will
07-15-2012, 10:18 AM
It's a home game, I am sure many posters on the board will be at the game.

Pretty much as much of "must win" game as you can have at this stage in the season, IMO. You simply do not want to become the first team to lose to the Blue Bombers!

ArgoGabe22
07-15-2012, 11:07 AM
I'll be there. I'm 1-0 when watching the Argos live this season. I must be the deciding factor lol

AngeloV
07-15-2012, 11:17 AM
I'll be there. I'm 1-0 when watching the Argos live this season. I must be the deciding factor lol

They're also 0-2 in which the annoying Rod Black calls their games. There must be a connection there.

Nob
07-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Rod Black may be annoying, but I can't stand Suitor. I'll take Duanne Ford over Suitor every time.

larz-7
07-15-2012, 01:10 PM
if we prepare for this game as if wpg is a 3 and 0 team we should win .if we take it as a sure win we all know what happens.

AngeloV
07-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Rod Black may be annoying, but I can't stand Suitor. I'll take Duanne Ford over Suitor every time.

Agree with that. I love Ford. I just feel bad he has to work with Black..that man that feels he must give everyone a nickname..or 5. Mr. This. Mr. that. He's so annoying. Does he have to address the Cats punter as the Aussie every time he steps on to the field? Just address the player by his name.

RoRoYoBoat
07-15-2012, 02:31 PM
Teams can't drop any home games this year. Bombers are by far the worst team in the league right now. This is a must win game as we go to Montreal the following week.

1argoholic
07-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Black has a real love affair with anyone not born in Canada or exNFLers. Suiter is a jackass. I'm sick of his over the top analizing of reviewed plays and his love of everything green and white when he calls Rider games. Black with his the big story in the CFL this year is Mr. Aussie.

argolio
07-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Wednesday night game is kind of weird...?Well our gracious landlord decided to sell even more its soul by accommodating an exhibition game between Liverpool and TFC rather than reserve that weekend for a 24 year-old tenant.

Stupidity at its finest.

ArgoRavi
07-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Well our gracious landlord decided to sell even more its soul by accommodating an exhibition game between Liverpool and TFC rather than reserve that weekend for a 24 year-old tenant.

Stupidity at its finest.

Yep. My understanding, which I think I got from reading one of T-Bone's posts, is that TFC fans don't even want this game.

Fungi
07-15-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't really pay attention to anything Black says. I agree with Suitor though. Sometimes he just keeps talking so much, you want some one to smack him in the back of the head to shut him up. Mute!!! The Suitor button. Lets watch football without his annoying diatribes.

Fungi
07-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Rickey needs some receivers who can get open, especially in the red zone. I really don't think we should be relying on our kicking game for points.

gilthethrill
07-15-2012, 10:45 PM
And topic not mentioned much but perhaps should be is the offseason defection of offensive coordinator Jonathan Himebauch. Has this caught up to the offence? Winnipeg looks horrible which scares me.

T-Bone
07-15-2012, 11:28 PM
after a disappointing loss at least we have another game coming up soon.
Wednesday night game is kind of weird...?
anybody going to this one?
I'll be there.

Yep. My understanding, which I think I got from reading one of T-Bone's posts, is that TFC fans don't even want this game.
That's correct. Apparently Rogers initiated this shortly after the LA Galaxy game at Rogers Centre. It's a cash grab, meaningless game that could result in player injuries in the middle of our season. I won't be attending the game and I'm pretty sure the majority of the building will be filled with Liverpool fans. I'm curious as to what the attendance will be and I'm hoping it will be low because we don't want another one of these in the future.

KCargosfan
07-15-2012, 11:50 PM
I know I'm in the small minority but I think TSN's announcers do a good job. I did some play-by-play and color radio in college and it is pretty difficult to do, not to mention these guys having to do 2 games in 3 days every week. Black and Forde did 2 games in basically 27 hours last weekend with travel from Edmonton to Hamilton... that ain't easy.

1argoholic
07-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Maybe KC you should get the Argos kicking job and play by play for TSN. You could run down out of the booth to kick and have a mike to talk during the play. Afterward run back up and continue your TSN job. haha.

ArgoRavi
07-16-2012, 01:58 AM
And topic not mentioned much but perhaps should be is the offseason defection of offensive coordinator Jonathan Himebauch. Has this caught up to the offence? Winnipeg looks horrible which scares me.

Himebauch would have been just running Milanovich's offence. It would have taken a bit of work off of Milanovich if Himebauch had not left but I don't see any major issues with the offence at this point. The offence looked fine against Hamilton but the big problem continues to be red zone proficiency.

I agree that facing an 0-3 team, as bad as they have looked, is a bit scary.

QBall
07-16-2012, 02:10 PM
As long as we have the special teams sorted out SOMEWHAT from the last two games then there is no reason why the Argos shouldn't be victorious. As muchas I would hate to see the Bombers go 0-4 (I think the CFL needs a competitive Bombers team) I guess they can see what the Lions did after going 0-5 last season and take solace.

IAMARG
07-16-2012, 05:29 PM
You can say they would be similar to BC. Except nothing is clicking with that team. As well as, they are completely depleted on the defensive side of the ball. Not to mention the lacklustre offense. They are no BC.

jerrym
07-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Buck Pierce will miss the game, so Alex Brink will be the starter. http://fftimes.com/node/253148

The Bombers are claiming Brink did not suffer a concussion in the last game. However, he sure looked groggy to me after the hit that took him out of the game. You do not have to be knocked out in order to suffer a concussion. I hope the Bombers are right because a quick second concussion can be devastating. Otherwise, he may be susceptible to another concussion after returning so soon. Therefore, I would not be surprised to see Joey Elliott.

gilthethrill
07-16-2012, 10:12 PM
I am in a quandary. Staying at a cottage for the week with no TSN. Do I wait until Saturday to watch game at home on PVR, or go to local bar and watch it there.....I know I can avoid the score until Saturday but not sure if I have the patience.

Nob
07-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Have fun at the bar.

1argoholic
07-17-2012, 12:06 AM
Nothing better than a bar in cottage county. I can't wait to live in cottage country. No driving because you friggin live there. I wish we could snap our fingers and be outa here.

KCargosfan
07-17-2012, 12:13 AM
Maybe KC you should get the Argos kicking job and play by play for TSN. You could run down out of the booth to kick and have a mike to talk during the play. Afterward run back up and continue your TSN job. haha.

haha, that would be awesome. I wonder if that's what heaven is like? haha :)

KCargosfan
07-17-2012, 12:16 AM
I am in a quandary. Staying at a cottage for the week with no TSN. Do I wait until Saturday to watch game at home on PVR, or go to local bar and watch it there.....I know I can avoid the score until Saturday but not sure if I have the patience.

Dude, no-brainer... bar.

gilthethrill
07-17-2012, 04:42 AM
Dude, no-brainer... bar.

I left out one minor detail...I don't drink......:)

Midnight Blue
07-17-2012, 05:02 AM

Tape the game, and watch when you get back. Bars are cool, but being up north, whether at a cottage or camping, is the ultimate experience.

If in doubt, watch the game at a bar up north, totally pissed, then watch again when you get home, half pissed.

Can't go wrong.

EDIT : You don't drink?

Well then, never mind.....

Enjoy yourself. And try not to step into a lobster trap. Cheers !

1argoholic
07-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Never a bad time to start drinking. hahaha. You can actually watch a game at a bar and drink pop (soda for Americans) ice tea, water and have a bite. Still fun.

T-Bone
07-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Argos to Host Blue Bombers in Special Wednesday Night Match (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argos-to-host-blue-bombers-in-special-wednesday-night-match)

Also the depth chart (http://www.argonauts.ca/depthchart/list/team/7/year/2012) is up now.

paulwoods13
07-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Also the depth chart (http://www.argonauts.ca/depthchart/list/team/7/year/2012) is up now.

20 NIPs are shown, including Alix, so all should dress unless someone (Pottinger?) comes off the one-game IR. Four IMPs will sit, I'm guessing Mann, Kackert, Flemons and Williams.

Hollaway
07-17-2012, 10:55 PM
This is a must win game for sure, Winnipeg isn't that good, but Montreal who is next have not impressed me either, so it would be nice if we picked up a couple of wins and went 3-2.

AngeloV
07-17-2012, 11:18 PM
I left out one minor detail...I don't drink......:)

Even better. Free soft drink refills!!!

tennyis
07-18-2012, 12:34 AM
are those calendars like a give away promo or does it mean be the first to buy? either way i'm getting me some lol

Wobbler
07-18-2012, 01:59 AM
I'm expecting a good performance and a victory against Winnipeg. We did a lot of good things on Saturday, but were humbled thanks to a couple of catastrophes. I don't think that will happen again.

Argos 30, Bombers 17.

Argoscflguy
07-18-2012, 04:35 AM
Ya suitor is pretty annoying! Fords doing a realy good job! He's so (white) though!!!!!!? Lmao!

Do or Die
07-18-2012, 06:51 AM
For the Bombers...so far, it's been sort of like the perfect storm....

1. Lot of changes, which means some teething pains in terms of continuity....unless, of course it its also accompanied by a truck load of injuries, making the lineup looking like a fire drill in places - that 1st game roster against the Lions, simply looked like exhibition game #3. Probably won't see anything resembling the A lineup, until game 6, or so.....hope we can eek out some wins, till then....

2. The Pierce situation - takes the #1 practice reps, hobbles around, knocked out early in games...and has created ongoing uncertainty....change of games plans and shiffling of QBs, etc. On top of that, is the ole incessant "will he or won't he" before a game, after, and before entering the next one....many of us are growing weary of this stuff.....With the lower body injuries, Buck has appeared to lose some of his scramble ability. I am actually relieved he is out for a while - Brink and Elliot aren't that bad....

3. Lapo - yeah, he got a tough hand so far, this season....but some of the question marks, from the last couple of years - team getting off to brutal starts, passive over-all approach and occasional questionable on-field decisions....have not appeared to resolve themselves.....people are really starting to wonder.....

4. How to make a lack of stability and continuity even worse, to start a season? Play the first 4 on the road, including opening in BC/Montreal, with a total of 7 practices for the month... (special thanks to Bomber front office)

For the present.....I simply gin and bear it.

Ps - how does one get rid of that "Argo fan" thing, by my username.....

Argocister
07-18-2012, 07:34 AM
?...........I simply gin and bear it.

Ps - how does one get rid of that "Argo fan" thing, by my username.....

.....gin and bear it? ....... Mans got to do what a mans got to do

......Argofan?...... Post more

:D

gilthethrill
07-18-2012, 08:34 AM
Even better. Free soft drink refills!!!

LOL!! I am leaning on avoiding media and watching it Saturday nite......could also watch it at McDonalds....free coffee refills there....just can't get as intense or comfortable like I can at home.....Go Argos......

T-Bone
07-18-2012, 08:34 AM
are those calendars like a give away promo or does it mean be the first to buy? either way i'm getting me some lol
I assume they are for sale as they always have been in the past. They go for $15 or $20 I believe.

marcwagz
07-18-2012, 09:38 AM
so kuale is a DE permanently now?
i don't think I like that

ArgoGabe22
07-18-2012, 10:11 AM

Kuale was first signed to play DE 3 years ago and then converted into a TE and finally into a LB.

Rich
07-18-2012, 11:04 AM

Kuale had a huge game against Hamilton. He was in Henry's face all night. I think this guy is gonna have a breakout season. Him and Ball give us big time pursuit at the corners. This D is gonna cause some big damage this year. Brink is gonna wish he had sat this one out.

anthonyrussell
07-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Dome will be open tonight according to Argos' twitter.

Going against a team that struggles defensively, is without their starting QB and a 0-3 record you have to think this is the Argos game to lose considering that the offence is doing quite well. Someone give some homing missiles to the special teams covering kick returns and we're set.

Argos4Life
07-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Working nights so can't watch the game live on TSN but will record it. This should be a win! Looking forward to watching Boyd have a huge game!

1argoholic
07-18-2012, 06:24 PM
I hope we can pressure Brink all night. Their O line has struggled so I hope to see at least four sacks. Let's see if Brink's head is ok after that shot he took last week. We need this win.

Hollaway
07-18-2012, 06:29 PM
Have a feeling this will be a break out night for Ray and the offence, go get em Argos, can't wait for the game.

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 08:10 PM
Are we jinxed at kicker? Swayze misses first attempt. 2 drops by Durie killed two drives. We lead 8-3 after first.

On another note, good to see a missed FG not go all the way back :)

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 08:31 PM
After that last drive, if I was Winnipeg, I might run the ball every single play.

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Thank you, Jordan Younger.

Great throw by Ray on the TD.

1argoholic
07-18-2012, 09:04 PM
I was about to come on here and rip I guy that I love in Owens when he caught that td pass. They have to stop allowing all the runs up the gut. Holy crap unreal.
It's so important to have quality Canadian talent in this league and right now Watt is a waste of a jersey. He has so called great speed and yet he's never open.
More down field and less dink and dunk.
How about that Isaac hit on Brink. hahaha. Man that's the hit of the year so far. He folded him up like a cheap suit.

OV Argo
07-18-2012, 09:20 PM
Argos looking either soild or so/so IMO.

Need an accurate FG kicker - maybe it's Muddy Waters - but he missed already.

Better SP teams coverage needed - nice to see Tristan Black with that big hit - need more of that stuff.

Offence - OK i guess; more of Boyd and the ground game please; more deep throws - like that one to Owens (who has to stop fumbling the ball away or else he should play less on O); Durie racking up yards - give him some run plays too.

D - pretty solid; but Simpson has ripped-off some big runs tonight; Foley - not doing much so far IMO; and interesing that he has often been subbed out on D - i recall a pre-season thread where a poster (maybe RoRo ?) suggested that Foley would be more of a part-time/rotational player this year - and that post got questioned (and ripped by Ricky's #1 cheerleader) - but i guess that post was pretty bang-on, Not many NIs getting to play on this Argo D; seen Matt Black in maybe a couple of plays this season; haven't seen Tristan Black or Pottinger in at MLB at all; Robinson any reps at DE? - don't think so - Jones did a lot more subbing on D with the Stamps D - but maybe no ratio need to play NIs on D with the Argos?. ZERO sacks this game so far by the Argo D; at least a nice pick by Younger to set up a TD.

jerrym
07-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Argos have to stop taking stupid penalties, such as offsides and dead ball penalties. If they don't improve in this area, it will start costing them games, if not against Winnipeg, then against better teams.

jerrym
07-18-2012, 09:26 PM
So what do the Argos do? Tale the dumbest penalty of all - too many men on the field. Being an Argo fan can be frustrating at times, but I'm still loyal.

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 09:42 PM
OVA with some humor, good to see.

You can definitely tell we just played four days ago, we are not sharp on offense. Thank goodness Brink is not good, otherwise we would be down.

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Winnipeg's DL has definitely won the battle up front against our OL through 3 quarters and 2 minutes.

Wobbler
07-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Ray has thrown some pretty poor balls into the flat and to the sideline today. He seems much more accurate on the mid- and long-range throws.

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 09:57 PM
Ugh, Chad Owens, not good there buddy.

In the next CBA I think the players need to demand no games unless there is at least 4 days rest.

Nob
07-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Thanks CFL and Skydome for giving us this piece of crap. If the Argos had some say as a tenant then they wouldn't have to play on such a short week.

I'm tired of Owens turning the ball over.

I'm tired of Watts looking like a ballerina as he runs down field trying to catch a ball.

Geesh......

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Maybe we should trade for Justin Palardy?

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Well, Waters can certainly punt.

Our D may have to win this game. Our Offense has done nothing this second half and Ray has not looked good. Really, no one on offense has looked good post-halftime.

dmont
07-18-2012, 10:12 PM
Ugh, this is so painful to watch.

dmont
07-18-2012, 10:14 PM
We are brutal against the run. I mean really really bad.

1argoholic
07-18-2012, 10:16 PM
I want to hear from people at the game. Are our receivers really that SH!T that they can never get open? That should have been no yards but Owens still has to catch it. This is the 2010 or 2011 Argos all over again . Milanovich looks like a deer in the F'ing headlights. We've seen this before.

We lose this we're screwed. We'll be easily 1-5. We have to pull this piece of crap game out. Speaking of crap Efes beer that I bought for an ethnic dinner night. Trying to finish the Turkish piss water.

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 10:24 PM
I want to hear from people at the game. Are our receivers really that SH!T that they can never get open?

Barnes was wide open there.... and there again on the TD, GoOOOOOOO Argos!!!!

Nob
07-18-2012, 10:25 PM
When you get pass protection good things happen!

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 10:27 PM
Our kicker has made 2 tackles tonight.

jerrym
07-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Barnes - TD! Jason and the Argos!

Nob
07-18-2012, 10:36 PM
That has to be overturned for an INT

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Holy crap, Armstead pulled him down like a rag doll with one hand.

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 10:37 PM
That has to be overturned for an INT

Agreed. Definitely a pick, great job by Watkins.

Nob
07-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Brutal replay. Why do they even have it????

Nob
07-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Glad to see that Jake didn't cost them the game. Brutal job in the replay booth. Again.

jerrym
07-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Watkins didn't get the interception but if he keeps playing like he has so far, I think he can be an all-star.

Nob
07-18-2012, 10:39 PM
It was ugly, but it's not like they're fishing - they're not going to throw that one back.

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 10:40 PM
So much for the talk of Winnipeg cutting Buck Pierce. Brink may be good in the future, but he is horrid now.

Credit to our guys for gutting-out a win on 3 days rest.

Screw Rogers for making us play this game today.

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Watkins didn't get the interception but if he keeps playing like he has so far, I think he can be an all-star.

How did he not get that pick? I'm with nob, I have no clue what CFL control is watching.

1argoholic
07-18-2012, 10:42 PM
As my Stampeder fan wife says, How do the Argos get a separate set of rules that always screw them over. Watkins never gave up and he picked off that ball. There was green between him and the sideline and he had control. Last week Barnes dove caught the ball and it was called a catch to be overturned with no footage showing it should be. Owens so called fumble in Hamilton with his knee down. Bloody joke.
I'm glad we pulled it out. I still thing Barnes will be our go to guy.

Nob
07-18-2012, 10:44 PM
Isn't it nice - our QB has a awful game, but his stats were 22/34 for 325 yards? In previous years the QB's best games were never that good.

1argoholic
07-18-2012, 10:45 PM
I hope I see that drunk Jake Ireland at Grey Cup because I'm going to tell him exactly what I think. He's a piece of CRAP. Oh I'm not supposed to say that so I'll say he's fecal matter.

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Another holy crap for Brink's stat line: 9-34 for 185 with 2 (should be 3) INTs.

1argoholic
I hope I see that drunk Jake Ireland at Grey Cup because I'm going to tell him exactly what I think. He's a piece of CRAP. Oh I'm not supposed to say that so I'll say he's fecal matter.

Funny guess where Jake was born? Hamilton. We need a different guy in the review booth for Argo games.

Wobbler
How did he not get that pick? I'm with nob, I have no clue what CFL control is watching.
It looked pretty inconclusive to me - you couldn't see any grass between his foot and the line. Inconclusive = call on the field stands.

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 10:47 PM
Isn't it nice - our QB has a awful game, but his stats were 22/34 for 325 yards? In previous years the QB's best games were never that good.

Agreed. We are very lucky to have Ray.

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 10:49 PM
It looked pretty inconclusive to me - you couldn't see any grass between his foot and the line. Inconclusive = call on the field stands.

I thought you could see turf. To me it was pretty conclusive.

dmont
07-18-2012, 10:53 PM

Ugly. Ugly ugly ugly.

We didn't have much of a run game today, I don't know if Cory or the O-line was to blame. That may've had something to do with the so-so passing game.

Ricky Ray had a so-so game.... but only so-so for Ricky Ray. I would've been thrilled with that performance from any quarterback we had from 2008-2011.

Something was wrong with our D-line vs the run, it allowed Winnipeg to get back into the game.

I just met him, and this is crazy, but here's my number, so call me Swayze :) He looked pretty good to me. Took his sweet time on punts, though. Hopefully with some time for practice he can be even better.

I'm glad he got his touchdown, but I'm starting to not like watching Chad Owens play football. It's not just his fumbles (don't get me wrong, they make me want to jump out the window) but it's his chirping the refs and his b*itching and moaning on the sidelines. Take responsibility and don't. do. it. again!

OV Argo
07-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Pretty mediocre game - both offences looked like $h** for a good part of the game - but i guess both Ds were pretty solid; at least the Argos made a couple of nice deep TD throws to pull out the win.

And nice to see such a large and noisy/enthusiastic crowd at the Sky-Dump yet again = freakin' continued embarassment that the largest demographic in Canada by far puts the fewest bums in the stands in the CFL; very sad/pathetic IMO - and i realize a tough challenge with no easy solution - just wondering if anything much is being done by Braley and the Argos' deep thinkers to challenge this sad state of affairs?

1argoholic
07-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Too many folks sitting at home watching. Those asses should be at the game. The game was a farce but I guess to be expected with no real solid practice time for TO. I feel bad for Watkins who totally picked off that ball. What if they had a hail marry for a td. Stranger things have happened . Remember Milt against Edmonton for that last second winning prayer of 90 odd yards. The CFL really needs someone other than Jake in the replay booth for Argo games.

KCargosfan
07-18-2012, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=
And nice to see such a large and noisy/enthusiastic crowd at the Sky-Dump yet again = freakin' continued embarassment that the largest demographic in Canada by far puts the fewest bums in the stands in the CFL; very sad/pathetic IMO - and i realize a tough challenge with no easy solution - just wondering if anything much is being done by Braley and the Argos' deep thinkers to challenge this sad state of affairs?[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'm actually surprised there were more than 22K there tonight.

DanTheFan
07-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Another holy crap for Brink's stat line: 9-34 for 185 with 2 (should be 3) INTs.

Wow I didn't think his percentage was THAT bad.

marcwagz
07-18-2012, 11:12 PM
Honestly, I'm actually surprised there were more than 22K there tonight.

really there were more there than the home opener?
I expected 18k max

marcwagz
07-18-2012, 11:13 PM
I was disappointed boyd couldn't dominate as much, I guess winnipegs d was more competant than I expected.

Ray I thought played good in spurts.
Crappy streks, then a big play, good enough to win, but we need to be good enough to DOMINATE bad, wounded teams.

Anyways, ArgOOOOsss

dmont
07-18-2012, 11:21 PM
really there were more there than the home opener?
I expected 18k max

Agreed. Pleasant suprise on the attendance.

larz-7
07-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Too many folks sitting at home watching. Those asses should be at the game. The game was a farce but I guess to be expected with no real solid practice time for TO. I feel bad for Watkins who totally picked off that ball. What if they had a hail marry for a td. Stranger things have happened . Remember Milt against Edmonton for that last second winning prayer of 90 odd yards. The CFL really needs someone other than Jake in the replay booth for Argo games. i know what you are saying about jake and my wife whom has lived in Winnipeg all her life whom i have converted to an argos fans picked up on it right away.

paulwoods13
07-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Argos looking either soild or so/so IMO.

Need an accurate FG kicker - maybe it's Muddy Waters - but he missed already.

Better SP teams coverage needed - nice to see Tristan Black with that big hit - need more of that stuff.

Offence - OK i guess; more of Boyd and the ground game please; more deep throws - like that one to Owens (who has to stop fumbling the ball away or else he should play less on O); Durie racking up yards - give him some run plays too.

D - pretty solid; but Simpson has ripped-off some big runs tonight; Foley - not doing much so far IMO; and interesing that he has often been subbed out on D - i recall a pre-season thread where a poster (maybe RoRo ?) suggested that Foley would be more of a part-time/rotational player this year - and that post got questioned (and ripped by Ricky's #1 cheerleader) - but i guess that post was pretty bang-on, Not many NIs getting to play on this Argo D; seen Matt Black in maybe a couple of plays this season; haven't seen Tristan Black or Pottinger in at MLB at all; Robinson any reps at DE? - don't think so - Jones did a lot more subbing on D with the Stamps D - but maybe no ratio need to play NIs on D with the Argos?. ZERO sacks this game so far by the Argo D; at least a nice pick by Younger to set up a TD.

Realize you wrote this before the game was over but the defensive front seven was really outstanding tonight -- including Foley, who made some excellent plays in the second half. Late in the game Kuale moved back to LB in place of Simmons. The other two LBs were very solid (Isaac got the game ball on defence) and Armstead, Huntley and Flemons all made plays. The pressure on Brink was coming from all directions. I don't have any issue with subbing in and out all of the d-linemen, including Foley. It keeps them fresher and allows them to offer a multitude of looks. T Black got the special teams game ball, with honourable mention to Robinson. Pottinger is on the IR and did not dress but was on the sidelines.

paulwoods13
07-19-2012, 12:12 AM
I can't believe Ricky Ray is coming in for any criticism whatsoever. He was 23 of 34 for 325 yards, three TDs and a game-winning drive (with one int that was an excellent defensive play). He stood in there against a ferocious pass rush at times. He had at least four perfectly thrown passes dropped -- two by Durie, one each by Owens and Johnson. So he should have had an almost 80% completion rate and well over 10 yards per pass. And what the stats don't show is the touch he has on the ball and the decision making -- I noticed ONE bad read in 34 passes.

jerrym
07-19-2012, 12:17 AM

We didn't have much of a run game today, I don't know if Cory or the O-line was to blame. That may've had something to do with the so-so passing game.

I did not expect much of a run game after Boyd carried the ball more than 20 times against Hamilton but had only a half week before this game. While Boyd was great in Hamilton carrying half their team with him sometimes, that takes a toll on the body that means he is likely to be much less effective on short rest. That's why I suggested they add Kackert (Riggs would have also been good) for this game, but as someone pointed out we needed to add the import Waters for our kicking game, making that impractical.

AngeloV
07-19-2012, 12:21 AM
I can't believe Ricky Ray is coming in for any criticism whatsoever. He was 23 of 34 for 325 yards, three TDs and a game-winning drive (with one int that was an excellent defensive play). He stood in there against a ferocious pass rush at times. He had at least four perfectly thrown passes dropped -- two by Durie, one each by Owens and Johnson. So he should have had an almost 80% completion rate and well over 10 yards per pass. And what the stats don't show is the touch he has on the ball and the decision making -- I noticed ONE bad read in 34 passes.

Wow..I haven't read the rest of this thread, as I just got home and started on the last page, but if people are all over Ray, sorry to say this, but they have no clue about football whatsoever.

Wobbler
07-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Ray played well. His reads appeared to be excellent (although it can be hard to tell on TV when most of the receivers are off-screen), he was confident in the pocket, and a couple of his fakes actually had an effect. If he keeps this up and we improve our protection, run-blocking, and discipline our passing game will be just fine. The only area where Ray disappointed was in the easy dump-offs into the flat in the second half. He underthrew a wide-open Inman and overthrew Boyd and Durie (twice) on checkdown passes that could have gone for first downs. I wouldn't complain except that those looked like easier throws than the accurate darts he was throwing upfield, and hey, he needs *something* to work on in practise.

Nob
07-19-2012, 12:37 AM
I don't think that anyone is ragging on Ray. I think people here are suggesting that of his brief Argo career that wasn't his best game, but it is farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr better than any QB play the Argos have had in many years. I think we are also all excited to see how great this offense can be when everyone is clicking.

The whole offence struggled tonight. That's going to happen on a lousy short week. As such Ray didn't have much support.

I though that the OL struggled tonight. Ray was under a lot of pressure. If he had more time he would have been even better.

That's it. That's all. I think that every poster on this board is bowing to the west and thanking Tillman for sending Ray to the Argos. Best QB the Argos have had since Flutie.

KCargosfan
07-19-2012, 01:00 AM
I don't think that anyone is ragging on Ray. I think people here are suggesting that of his brief Argo career that wasn't his best game, but it is farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr better than any QB play the Argos have had in many years. I think we are also all excited to see how great this offense can be when everyone is clicking.

The whole offence struggled tonight. That's going to happen on a lousy short week. As such Ray didn't have much support.

I though that the OL struggled tonight. Ray was under a lot of pressure. If he had more time he would have been even better.

That's it. That's all. I think that every poster on this board is bowing to the west and thanking Tillman for sending Ray to the Argos. Best QB the Argos have had since Flutie.

Once again, I agree with Nob. I think people are glad this is considered a "not great" game, and I honestly don't remember reading anything being all over Ray.

If you are referring to my post pw13, keep in mind that it came early in the 4th quarter after a huge stretch where we did nothing. Even then, I don't think I was being that critical. Perhaps I should have clarified it to "second half" again at that point.

ArgoRavi
07-19-2012, 01:18 AM
The Argo offence had some trouble getting into a rhythm (in Ray's words) in the second half. They had at least a couple of occasions where they got into second and short and then botched those plays. In fact, I can think of at least three times on second and short in the second half where they ran Boyd and the Bombers were able to stop him which forced the Argos to punt. There were a couple of turnovers and at least one penalty that killed drives in the second half as well. The great thing was that they were able to put together a TD drive when they absolutely had to and that hasn't happened often over the last several seasons. I don't think that anyone will say that this was a great game offensively by the Argos but Ray still threw for over 300 yards which has been a rarity in Argoland from '09-'11.

As for the defence, they played very well IMO. They only gave up one TD drive on that night and that was with the Bombers working on a short field. They did have some problems handling Chad Simpson in the first half but pretty much shut him down in the second half. They got lots of pressure on Brink as well which clearly had much effect on him.

Finally, the special teams coverage was excellent tonight. Our return game struggled a bit but you have to give Winnipeg some credit as well.

1argoholic
07-19-2012, 01:22 AM
I keep having to tell myself that we played that game with basically no practice. NOw we have plenty of time to work on things for Montreal. We need to push the ball downfield more often. The dink and dunk stuff looked like the last few years.

Will
07-19-2012, 01:54 AM
I give credit to Winnipeg's D for keeping them in the ballgame in the second half. Our receivers were blanketed for the most part and Cory couldn't really get much going either. But, big credit to Jason Barnes for coming up in the clutch to get the winning TD. I got a bit scared on the ensuing kickoff when WPG got a nice gain, but Brink was horrible for most of the night. He kept pushing the ball downfield in the first half and completed maybe one of those passes to Denmark. I never realized his stats (9-34) were that brutal and I was actually worried about facing him more than Pierce! Brandon Isaac nearly took his head off in the first half.

Argocister
07-19-2012, 08:25 AM
Just a few thoughts on the game....... I was impressed with the crowd last night. 22,000? I guess maybe more in the 200 level? But the enthusiasm was good for a Wed night. Maybe summer weekdays aren't so bad.... But a short week sucks and was evident in the play.
It seems that we play to the level of our opponent...... So next game we'll be great.
Defense saved us in the second half.
I'm glad we got some great punts from Swayze. I'm sure he will settle in...... Glad to know Pre is around to help out.
Still more work to be done with the receivers.... but I was impressed to hear that the play to Barnes was an impromptu play designed by Ray .... And I take the coach..... Based on what the Bombers D gave him. I like adaptability. This shows great confidence and communication between the coaches and players ....... Looking forward to a great season.

Hollaway
07-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Yeah, defence saved our butts, I thought we were going lose at one point, this was closer then everyone thought it was going to be, to close for comfort.

Will
07-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Just a few thoughts on the game....... I was impressed with the crowd last night. 22,000? I guess maybe more in the 200 level? But the enthusiasm was good for a Wed night. Maybe summer weekdays aren't so bad.... But a short week sucks and was evident in the play.
It seems that we play to the level of our opponent...... So next game we'll be great.
Defense saved us in the second half.
I'm glad we got some great punts from Swayze. I'm sure he will settle in...... Glad to know Pre is around to help out.
Still more work to be done with the receivers.... but I was impressed to hear that the play to Barnes was an impromptu play designed by Ray .... And I take the coach..... Based on what the Bombers D gave him. I like adaptability. This shows great confidence and communication between the coaches and players ....... Looking forward to a great season.

Yeah, there were also more people on the west side stands from my perspective, and they weren't all away fans too, which is good.

ArgoGabe22
07-19-2012, 11:22 AM
I'm still 2-0 when watching the Argos haha. Surprised to see Ricky Ray at the Clarkson GO station going on the same train 4 hours before the game

Hollaway
07-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Really kool, is he living in Mississauga?

Will
07-19-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm still 2-0 when watching the Argos haha. Surprised to see Ricky Ray at the Clarkson GO station going on the same train as me.

Did you talk to him at all?

ArgoGabe22
07-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Did you talk to him at all?

No, I just saw him standing there and I think he saw us wearing Argo shirts so we just nodded and said hi & good luck. You don't want to disrupt his pregame focus, he's got to be in the zone. You don't want to throw your starting QB off his gameplan even though it was 4 hours before the game.

Will
07-19-2012, 11:48 AM
No, I just saw him standing there and I think he saw us wearing Argo shirts so we just nodded and said hi & good luck. You don't want to disrupt his pregame focus, he's got to be in the zone. You don't want to throw your starting QB off his gameplan even though it was 4 hours before the game.

Ah, I thought you had seen him this morning and not yesterday.

ArgoGabe22
07-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Ah, I thought you had seen him this morning and not yesterday.

Yeah it was before the game which was shocking. The new guy from the US using the GO Train? Wouldn't be surprised to see Jeff Johnson or Andre Durie but Ricky Ray?

mchesher03
07-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Didn't see it mentioned yet but 22k at the SkyDome and only 18k at BMO last night - not shocking.

Our offence will be fine - we're moving the ball, the red zone will take care of itself - especially with more time for montreal. Been a while since we came out of Molson Stadium with a W!

Will
07-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Didn't see it mentioned yet but 22k at the SkyDome and only 18k at BMO last night - not shocking.

Our offence will be fine - we're moving the ball, the red zone will take care of itself - especially with more time for montreal. Been a while since we came out of Molson Stadium with a W!

Well, we won a meaningless game there at the end of the 2010 season, but I think the last win before that was in 2005!

ArgoGabe22
07-19-2012, 12:00 PM
Back to this game, I posted on twitter that for someone who loves to talk how good they are Jovon Johnson just got burned twice by Chad Owens and Jason Barnes for TDs. I think Jovon is highly overrated like many Bomber players. Anyways I get a message saying 2011 defensive player of the year....stop hating. Go back to see who sent it and it was deleted.

anthonyrussell
07-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Have ploughed through the highlights and just about to sit down and watch the full thing. Closer than I imagined and Owen's hands of stone didn't help but the job got done, the d only gave up 22 pts and the offence came through in the clutch. Will need to improve against Montreal

mchesher03
07-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Have ploughed through the highlights and just about to sit down and watch the full thing. Closer than I imagined and Owen's hands of stone didn't help but the job got done, the d only gave up 22 pts and the offence came through in the clutch. Will need to improve against Montreal

The Montreal game is very winnable - I did also say this about the Edmonton and Hamilton games as well ;)

key in montreal is to score majors early and often - get montreal playing desperate. I didn't like how close Winnipeg was to sneaking out of here with a W last night -but an ugly W > any loss

argotom
07-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Yes an ugly win is still a win.
It should not have been this close as it should have been a blow out after the first half.

AngeloV
07-19-2012, 01:05 PM
Back to this game, I posted on twitter that for someone who loves to talk how good they are Jovon Johnson just got burned twice by Chad Owens and Jason Barnes for TDs. I think Jovon is highly overrated like many Bomber players. Anyways I get a message saying 2011 defensive player of the year....stop hating. Go back to see who sent it and it was deleted.

Owens burned him, but Barnes TD was definitely a zone coverage. Great read by Ray to release the ball early enough to give Barnes time to avoid the tackler coming from the other side.

ArgoGabe22
07-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Owens burned him, but Barnes TD was definitely a zone coverage. Great read by Ray to release the ball early enough to give Barnes time to avoid the tackler coming from the other side.

You're right I checked highlights and he was on Watt and then ran to tackle Barnes and still missed. I still think the guy is overrated especially after his sideline comments and then gets burned by Chambers, a rookie.

AngeloV
07-19-2012, 02:51 PM
You're right I checked highlights and he was on Watt and then ran to tackle Barnes and still missed. I still think the guy is overrated especially after his sideline comments and then gets burned by Chambers, a rookie.

I agree that he is overrated. He was in a good situation last year with a dominant front forcing bad throws. He's fast, but I don't think he's anywhere near the best DB in the league.

Will
07-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Good news is that we seem to have escaped the game relatively injury-free. In his media availability today, Coach Milanovich said that Jasper Simmons has pain in his foot and will see the doctor, but other than that just some bumps and bruises.

argolio
07-30-2012, 05:11 PM
re: the Owens punt return fumble

I was watching a replay of this game last night, and after breaking down the play in slo-mo, I think the refs got this one right and it wasn't no-yards. So obviously we should trade Owens!

(Disclaimer: The last sentence was not meant to be taken seriously)

KCargosfan
07-30-2012, 07:26 PM
re: the Owens punt return fumble

I was watching a replay of this game last night, and after breaking down the play in slo-mo, I think the refs got this one right and it wasn't no-yards. So obviously we should trade Owens!

The better question is why we haven't traded Owens already?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8