PDA

View Full Version : Cory Boyd

AngeloV
07-15-2012, 11:27 AM
CB was the best player on the field last night (not including ST's) and has one again proven that he is the best back this league has. I can't help but think of a thread (I believe it was still on FOA at the time) where many of our posters wanted him gone and Kackert replacing him after he had an argument with O'Shea on the sidelines last year. Talk about knee jerk reactions.

Will
07-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Yes that thread would have been on Friends of the Argonauts. I felt sorry for Cory yesterday because he did play his heart out, particularly in the second half.

larz-7
07-15-2012, 01:20 PM
CB is just getting started .

argotom
07-15-2012, 01:40 PM
He is a stud.

1argoholic
07-15-2012, 02:41 PM
I oloved when while running he pointed at the defenders to bring it on as he crashed into them. After that was the play that he carried the Ticat defense for 12 yards. I was one who has gotten on him for his outbursts of emotion and thinking he wasn't emotional stable at the time. He does seem in a better place. After all he's had plenty of sh!t to deal with in his young life.

Argoscflguy
07-15-2012, 04:38 PM
This guy is the real deal! Every night he goes out there gives us 110 percent! He reminds me of Charles roberts!

paulwoods13
07-15-2012, 04:40 PM
I was one of those who suggested he should be traded (to Wpg for Greg Carr) last season after that sideline incident and a series of immature tweets. Not ashamed to admit it was a stupid idea, although I still wish he would get off Twitter.

LLB997
07-15-2012, 05:07 PM
I am warming up to CB big time. I always considered him mega talented but his attitude did not impress especially last season. He seems to have matured and changed his attitude a bit and i am liking the way he is carrying himself with the media. keep it up.

argolio
07-15-2012, 05:14 PM
I still wish he would get off Twitter.Not an issue for me since I don't care about Twitter.

Will
07-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Not an issue for me since I don't care about Twitter.

You may not care about twitter, but nevertheless it is increasingly becoming a social medium that is monitored and reported on by the press. Paul is either against the twitter phenomenon entirely like yourself or just isn't crazy about the way that Boyd utilizes that medium. He'd have to clarify that for us.

argolio
07-15-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm not really against it, I just don't care. But it's obvious how twitter comments can affect the team and fans (see Winnipeg's off season)

Fungi
07-15-2012, 06:56 PM
I don't think they play him enough. That guy will wear down a defence very quickly. I'm glad he's on our team. Just hope our OC will use his talents. Could he be one of those Argos who stays till the end of his career? Thumbs up for that.

paulwoods13
07-15-2012, 08:29 PM
You may not care about twitter, but nevertheless it is increasingly becoming a social medium that is monitored and reported on by the press. Paul is either against the twitter phenomenon entirely like yourself or just isn't crazy about the way that Boyd utilizes that medium. He'd have to clarify that for us.

I've got nothing against Twitter. I use it to keep track of certain topics that interest me, and to get quick access to news reports about such topics. I have absolutely no interest in finding out what players have on their minds at any point in time, especially players who don't seem to have any sort of filtration system to hold them back from saying stupid/inappropriate things. Maybe CB has stopped doing that but I stopped following him on Twitter some time ago so I don't know.

Fungi
07-15-2012, 09:15 PM
This thread was about Corey Boyd.
Now it's about twitter..
You can take your twitter and shove it up where the sun don't shine....
Corey Boyd....remember????

1argoholic
07-15-2012, 09:18 PM
I couldn't give two craps about twitter, facebook or even carrying around a moblie device. Funny how I don't lose any sleep by not knowing what Boyd had for breakfast. The manufacturers of these devices have created a huge monster. It's illegal to drive and text or have your phone to your ear in BC. I see at least three to four people daily doing just that. What the hell is so important that you have to read or text while driving on the Trans Canada. ASSHOLES!!! It's created a brand new addiction.

Fungi
07-15-2012, 09:22 PM
I couldn't give two craps about twitter, facebook or even carrying around a moblie device. Funny how I don't lose any sleep by not knowing what Boyd had for breakfast. The manufacturers of these devices have created a huge monster. It's illegal to drive and text or have your phone to your ear in BC. I see at least three to four people daily doing just that. What the hell is so important that you have to read or text while driving on the Trans Canada. ASSHOLES!!! It's created a brand new addiction.

Thumbs up!

jrt55555
07-15-2012, 10:13 PM
You can really see how effective he is at wearing down the defense if he keeps getting the touches. In the 4th quarter last night he was carrying the whole offense. Got to be my favourite current Argo.

I have also been struck by the way he has carried and conducted himself this season - he's been a consumate professional on and off the field. None of the excessive taunting you see from so many players - he just focuses on getting those yards. Met him after the Calgary game and he came across as a really nice guy.

One thing that struck me is his idioscyncratic head tilt - he always seems to stand with his head tilted to one side. At first I thought it was only him straining to hear the calls in the huddle but he seems to do it constantly!

Will
07-15-2012, 10:14 PM
One of the awesome plays from yesterday was when CB3 dragged about half the Ticats defense for extra yards on one 3rd quarter rush.

jrt55555
07-15-2012, 10:21 PM
One of the awesome plays from yesterday was when CB3 dragged about half the Ticats defense for extra yards on one 3rd quarter rush.

Yeah that was great. I also loved the play where he seemed to beckon the Hamilton defender to come up and hit him!

AngeloV
07-15-2012, 10:57 PM
I have also been struck by the way he has carried and conducted himself this season - he's been a consumate professional on and off the field. None of the excessive taunting you see from so many players - he just focuses on getting those yards. Met him after the Calgary game and he came across as a really nice guy.

Cory is a great guy. Anybody that attends practice on a regular basis knows this. Once again, the knee jerk reactions from many on here that wanted him gone last year after the Saskatchewan home game were and are laughable.

As for twitter, anyone that takes what a player says on that seriously, needs to lighten up. I don't follow anything on twitter, other than what is reported in the media. I find it entertaining, but totally useless.

KCargosfan
07-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Cory is a great guy. Anybody that attends practice on a regular basis knows this. Once again, the knee jerk reactions from many on here that wanted him gone last year after the Saskatchewan home game were and are laughable.

As for twitter, anyone that takes what a player says on that seriously, needs to lighten up. I don't follow anything on twitter, other than what is reported in the media. I find it entertaining, but totally useless.

Agreed, that thread from last year was ridiculous, as was some of the discussion following the 2nd preseason game from last year where some people thought he maybe needed replacing because he had 8 carries for 25 yards or something. Glad the Cory Boyd haters from those threads last year aren't posting much on the new board.

I follow Boyd on twitter and he rarely tweets about football nowadays. Last night after the game he said: "Thank you all for the Blessed comments and my apologies go out to every Argo fans on that lost... We will do better... Believe that."

paulwoods13
07-16-2012, 09:28 AM

The trouble is that player comments get reported in the media and consequently some people do take them seriously. Murphy's tweets about "Frenchland" may or may not have been meant in jest, but they did nothing positive for the Argos and the CFL, and they would definitely have turned some people (including potential fans) off. I don't think it's realistic to expect everyone to just lighten up. If players can't tweet responsibly, with an eye to maintaining a positive image for themselves and their league, teams and/or leagues should mandate it with formal Twitter policies.

1argoholic
07-16-2012, 12:17 PM
Totally right about the head tilt. Wonder what that's all about. If he continues to run like that maybe he should tilt his head enev more. haha. I see a Monty Python skit in there somewhere. haha.

AngeloV
07-16-2012, 12:56 PM
If players can't tweet responsibly, with an eye to maintaining a positive image for themselves and their league, teams and/or leagues should mandate it with formal Twitter policies.

I would be ok with that. Like I said, I don't follow twitter.

anthonyrussell
07-16-2012, 01:12 PM
If players can't tweet responsibly, with an eye to maintaining a positive image for themselves and their league, teams and/or leagues should mandate it with formal Twitter policies.

If there isn't a formal policy for CFL teams I'd be shocked but you're right. If you're in a position like that under so much media scruity, the idea of "think before you tweet" should be applied at all costs.

I wish they'd do it in British hockey at any rate. If the governing body had any clue half the players would have been fined for bringing the game into disrepute a week into the season.

Will
07-16-2012, 01:13 PM
The CFL social media policy treats tweets as "public comments" and any inappropriate remarks are subject to discipline from the commissioner's office. Only on rare occasions has that policy been tested to the limits of monetary penalty, though, so the Bombers are taking things a step further.

This is a tidbit from the article about Jonathan Hefney's tweet from the off-season.

jerrym
07-16-2012, 04:01 PM
IMO, Cory is without doubt not simply the best runner in the CFL but the best all-round back (the best combination of power running, speed, receiving and blocking). However, I wonder if it would make sense to also have Kackert in uniform because of the short turn-around and run the ball down Winnipeg's throat. This would wear down the Winnipeg defence as they are also playing on short rest. Cory might be somewhat tired from playing on Saturday and Wednesday. Using a second back who is fresh to give Cory short breaks could really wear down Winnipeg. If Cory is less effective because of the enormous effort he put in Saturday, Kackert would also be available. It would also force them to focus on the run opening up the passing game even more. I'm not recommending putting both on the game roster all the time, only in special circumstances such as this.

AngeloV
07-16-2012, 04:21 PM
IMO, Cory is without doubt not simply the best runner in the CFL but the best all-round back (the best combination of power running, speed, receiving and blocking). However, I wonder if it would make sense to also have Kackert in uniform because of the short turn-around and run the ball down Winnipeg's throat. This would wear down the Winnipeg defence as they are also playing on short rest. Cory might be somewhat tired from playing on Saturday and Wednesday. Using a second back who is fresh to give Cory short breaks could really wear down Winnipeg. If Cory is less effective because of the enormous effort he put in Saturday, Kackert would also be available. It would also force them to focus on the run opening up the passing game even more. I'm not recommending putting both on the game roster all the time, only in special circumstances such as this.

Might be a good idea, but if wearing down of the Bombers D is the key, wouldn't it make more sense to activate Riggs? He is a bigger back.

paulwoods13
07-16-2012, 04:23 PM

Your rationale for dressing a second RB is sound, however the question is which designated import would sit? It gets even more challenging (maybe impossible) if we have to dress an import kicker.

I can't really tell who the three DIs last game were because the Argos don't seem to announce the 42-man game-day roster, but I think three of these four were DIs: Joseph Cohen, Chandler Williams, Jasper Simmons and Derrick Summers. Kackert could dress in place of Williams (if he actually dressed the other night) but if we dress Waters, it gets more complicated.

jerrym
07-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Might be a good idea, but if wearing down of the Bombers D is the key, wouldn't it make more sense to activate Riggs? He is a bigger back.

I haven't got a problem using either Riggs or Kackert as the second back. The reason I chose Kackert is he has more experience at running back and in catching balls from Ray out of the backfield. However, your point is also valid.

paulwoods13
07-16-2012, 09:15 PM
I haven't got a problem using either Riggs or Kackert as the second back. The reason I chose Kackert is he has more experience at running back and in catching balls from Ray out of the backfield. However, your point is also valid.

So which two imports would you sit to add Kackert and Waters?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8