PDA

View Full Version : Pre could be done for the season with hip injury.

1argoholic
07-16-2012, 12:34 AM
Not sure how to post the Star article. Now it's going to be up to Swazi 'Muddy' Waters or Anthony 'Bad Tat' Alix. Could be very interesting with no CFL experience kicking for us.

T-Bone
07-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Not sure how to post the Star article. Now it's going to be up to Swazi 'Muddy' Waters or Anthony 'Bad Tat' Alix. Could be very interesting with no CFL experience kicking for us.
Toronto Argonauts kicker Noel Prefontaine sidelined (http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/cfl/article/1226780--toronto-argonauts-kicker-noel-prefontaine-sidelined)

Bob Mitchell
Sports Reporter

A lingering hip injury could sideline Argonauts punter/place kicker Noel Prefontaine for the rest of the season.

On Sunday, head coach Scott Milanovich said the team is “close to bringing in a kicker” while Prefontaine’s condition is assessed further.

The Argos, home to the Blue Bombers on Wednesday, have contacted Swayze Waters, who was cut by the Eskimos, according to a TSN.ca report.

For now, they have rookie Anthony Alix, who made a pair of 18-yard field goals but missed from 24 yards in Saturday’s 37-26 loss to the Tiger-Cats.

Alix replaced the ailing Prefontaine during Saturday’s game after the veteran had made field goals from 15 and 37 yards out. Prefontaine leads CFL kickers with 37 points and his punting average of 41.1 yards is fourth-best, but has been dropping.

Prefontaine was in for treatment on the hip on Sunday.

“It’s something we were aware of in the off-season, but he says it’s been getting worse and worse,” Milanovich said. “We’re sorry to lose him, if that’s the case.”

argonaut11xx
07-16-2012, 09:15 AM
If Noel knew about this "lingering" hip injury, especially since training camp, its very selfish of him to cost his team points, by "testing" it out in the regular season. He should have put himself on the self after training camp, or at most the PRE-season

Hopefully he is ok,

This is not the best time to be looking for a new kicker. Now the TEAM suffers

1argoholic
07-16-2012, 12:12 PM
I think it's one of those things that aren't so bad at the time and then you totally screw it up. I can relate as my elbow had been bothering me a bit. Tried to work through it and really screwed it. I haven't worked in three friggin weeks because of it now. I don't have the luck of a Pre to sit get paid however.
I wonder if it's his kicking or planting leg. This could be it for Pre.

ArgoGabe22
07-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Yeah its football, players play through the pain all the time. Plus they don't want miss any games or lose their job due to injury so they cover it up.

QBall
07-16-2012, 01:56 PM

In the game against the Ti-Cats Mike Hogan on TSN1050 stated that last year Alix was playing for St. FX and was 6 for 16 in field goals. I'd love to know who the Argos said no to to make a person with a sub 50% field goal completion look good by comparison.

ArgoGabe22
07-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Jim Barker comments on Pre's injury http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/76187

Says he had it since EDM and it was Pre's own decision to pull himself out because he was hurting the team.

jerrym
07-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Why not give Sandro DeAngelis a try, especially since he is a non-import and the most accurate field goal kicker in CFL history?(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_Football_League_records_(individu al)#Field_Goals )

1argoholic
07-16-2012, 04:13 PM
It's been an issue for two or three years but has now gotten too bad for him. I hope surgery works and he comes back fine. I'd hate to see his career end like this.

paulwoods13
07-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Now confirmed: Pre to the nine-game, Waters and Boulay signed. I can't see the Argos taking Younger out of the secondary for Boulay. Maybe Black will start at corner over Watkins, with Boulay in reserve. One way or another, an import has to come out for Waters, and a NI for Boulay. I guess Alix could sit for Boulay but I'd be surprised if they'd take a chance on dressing an untested kicker with no backup after only one practice.

ArgoGabe22
07-16-2012, 04:57 PM
What people don't know is Kyle Jones can kick too but Barker says Alix will probably be activated to do some sort of kicking whether punting or doing the kick offs.

AngeloV
07-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Now confirmed: Pre to the nine-game, Waters and Boulay signed. I can't see the Argos taking Younger out of the secondary for Boulay. Maybe Black will start at corner over Watkins, with Boulay in reserve. One way or another, an import has to come out for Waters, and a NI for Boulay. I guess Alix could sit for Boulay but I'd be surprised if they'd take a chance on dressing an untested kicker with no backup after only one practice.

I don't think there is a chance that Watkins comes out of the line-up. If Black starts, and I hope he does, it would likely be at corner, with McCollough moving back to the half in place of Jalil Carter. Carter played his first game on Saturday, so it's not like he's a fixture in the secondary. He would likely be the one to come out.

paulwoods13
07-16-2012, 09:20 PM
I don't think there is a chance that Watkins comes out of the line-up. If Black starts, and I hope he does, it would likely be at corner, with McCollough moving back to the half in place of Jalil Carter. Carter played his first game on Saturday, so it's not like he's a fixture in the secondary. He would likely be the one to come out.

I agree that makes more sense.

Fungi
07-16-2012, 09:33 PM
I've always thought it was more fun to watch a kid get better at his position than to watch an old timer keep on playing after his time is up. If it's Alix, good luck kid.

Nob
07-16-2012, 10:35 PM
What's the story with Pottinger? Will he figure into the equation? I like the way McCune has played, and would like to see him in there. If nothing else I'm sure Pottinger can help the cover units.

Scotty
07-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Alix should be brought in and if we take a massive lead at some point should be allowed to try his backflip catch off of the snap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GxZj4OghAA

Midnight Blue
07-17-2012, 04:15 AM
Just catching up with the threads here; so, Pre is out for 9 games; gives another kicker a chance. I think Pre will be back at game 12 or so, and we'll see if he can still deliver. I suspect that his personal pride will make that happen, if he's not still injured at that time. This gives a chance for new kickers to develop, since Pre will probably be retiring, 10 or 12 years down the road.

Stay cool.

paulwoods13
07-17-2012, 07:39 AM
What's the story with Pottinger? Will he figure into the equation? I like the way McCune has played, and would like to see him in there. If nothing else I'm sure Pottinger can help the cover units.

That's an excellent point. If he's healthy, I have to assume he could make a difference on ST. I don't see him replacing McCune as the first-string MLB at this point, but he could be a good guy to sub in there in certain situations. He's currently on the one-game IR.

R.J
07-18-2012, 02:32 AM
Looks like it could be over for Pre, except for him not wanting to end his career in Hamilton.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Toronto/2012/07/17/19998556.html

Mulder
07-18-2012, 07:17 AM
The Argo's are say he is done for the season.

http://www.argonauts.ca/article/prefontaine-out-for-season?utm_campaign=Prefontaine_Out_For_Season&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=SocialToaster#stv=22730208

Argocister
07-18-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm glad to see he will still be around to help out the team.
Thanx to Pre for his time with the Argos. Too bad life as a football player isn't like a rock star when you can do the "Final Tour" and hit it on all field goals.

ticatfan
07-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Pre is a great guy. I always liked the fact that he would still go to Joe Badali's even when they were no longer the post game sponsor

1argoholic
07-18-2012, 12:58 PM
You can't beat Joe Badalis. I miss that place bigtime.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8