PDA

View Full Version : The Year In Review - - 2011 Individual Argo Report Cards - - OFFENCE

Area 51
12-29-2011, 03:27 AM
Due to word count limitations for posts on this site, I've had to separate the offence & defence. Here's my breakdown of each player on offence grouped by position. Please keep in mind this is my personal assessment from what I have observed over the past year. If I were GM this is how I would identify the greatest areas of need. It's not intended to be an "attack" against any players but if you feel like your favourite Argo has been graded unfairly, please feel free to rebut it with evidence to the contrary - - ideally something with more substance than "he tries real hard" or "he autographed my football one time".

Gradings are broken into four categories:

Cornerstone - - Franchise player to build around. I grade Toronto with 5 Cornerstone players (4 on offence, 1 on defence).
Solid Contributor - - Player who belongs on a championship calibre team. I grade Toronto with 17 Solid Contributors (10 on offence, 7 on defence).
Look To Upgrade - - Player who would be a liability on a championship calibre team. I grade Toronto with 14 players to Look To Upgrade (4 on offence, 10 on defence).
Must Be Replaced - - Player who doesn't belong on any CFL team. I grade Toronto with 6 players that Must Be Replaced (3 on offence, 3 on defence).

Rob Murphy – Must be replaced. A 35 year old import LT coming off a torn knee? Was taking quite a few holding calls even before the injury last year. Unless he’s willing to take a huge pay cut I don’t see the value in resigning him. Even with that, I’d have serious doubts about his potential to contribute.

Ed Coughman – Solid contributor. Did a great job after being forced into a starting role in his first year at LT. Great potential to be a cornerstone here.

Chris Van Zeyl - Solid contributor. Decent book end at RT. Might not ever be an All-Star, but plays a consistently steady game.

Cedric Gagne-Marcoux – Solid contributor. Did an impressive job when he had to step in at T when injuries hit. Much better suited as a G, but that kind of versatility and the fact that he’s a Non Import make him very useful.

Dominic Picard – Cornerstone. Worthy choice as the Argos top OLineman this year. This needs to be their top priority to get re-signed.

Taylor Robertson – Look to upgrade. Depending on his salary demands in the off season, this might be a spot to bring in a new face.

Jeff Keeping – Look to upgrade. Used mostly as a blocking TE, but can fill in at G if needed. Have to think there’s other younger Non Import OLinemen available who could step in and match Keeping’s production and offer much more upside potential.

Joe Eppele – Solid contributor. Hasn’t been given a great deal of responsibility, but did a decent job when asked to fill in when the injuries hit. Too early to give up on the second overall pick from two years ago. Next year might be his opportunity to be a starter at G.

Jermaine Copeland – Must be replaced. Paid to be a #1 receiver, but contributed zero touchdowns last year. None. I still can’t figure out how that’s possible. Combined with the number of dropped balls, this performance was completely unacceptable. It wasn’t easy to put down Old Yeller either, but it’s time to move on.

Andre Durie – Cornerstone. Coming out party as a receiver last year. So versatile with what he can do as a receiver or out of the backfield. Needs to be utilized more often to take advantage of the matchup nightmare he creates.

Chad Owens – Solid contributor. Great a returning kicks, but you can’t build around a ST player. Doesn’t have the hands or route running ability to be an impact receiver. KR is the easiest position to replace and it’ll be interesting to see if Milanovich has more use for him the second time around.

Mike Bradwell – Solid contributor. Doesn’t seem to get much of an opportunity, but when he does he makes the catches.

Spencer Watt – Look to upgrade. Too inconsistent at this point in his career. Might develop into a useful receiver at some point, but right now Bradwell is a much better option.

Maurice Mann – Look to upgrade. Didn’t do much after joining the team, but had good chemistry with Ricky Ray in Edmonton. If they can find that connection in training camp, he’s got a chance to contribute.

Cory Boyd – Cornerstone. Doesn’t have breakaway speed, but he’s such a tough runner. Inexplicable why he was used so sparingly last season. Eccentric at times off the field, but there’s no questioning his ability between the lines.

Chad Kackert – Solid contributor. Showed great explosiveness when filling in for Boyd early in the year with 4 TDs over a three game span, and then suddenly there was no place for him on the dress roster. Another head scratcher of misused personnel.

Jeff Johnson – Solid contributor. Consummate pro. A workout warrior who keeps himself in top shape, great on ST, and always ready to come in off the bench and contribute at RB.

BJ Hall – Solid contributor. He’s got a big arm and great athletic ability. No idea if he’ll ever be able to read a defence and develop into anything more than a third string, but he showed promise.

Dalton Bell – Must be replaced. Might have had a chance to develop into a starter, but the game against BC with 4 picks ruined him. From then on it was almost as if he was terrified to put the ball up and risk more INTs. Much better options for back up QB are available in free agency this year.

Ricky Ray – Cornerstone. Finally Toronto has one of the top two QBs in the league. After nine years in the CFL he has 210 TDs and 40,529yds passing. Calvillo had 146 TDs and 27,240yds passing after his first nine years. Want to compare career numbers? Calvillo has a 95.7% QB rating and Ray is at 96.1%. Calvillo has a 62.7% completion rate and Ray is at 66.8%.

Noel Prefontaine – Solid contributor. Dealing Shaw means Pre’s the uncontested #1 going into next season. Had some great games last year, and struggled badly in others. But after seeing McCallum’s monster season, maybe there’s hope for one more big year from the 38 year old. The NI status is huge, but sometimes I wish Toronto could have a do-over on the trade for Medlock.

bluto
12-29-2011, 08:29 AM
good stuff Area 51. lots here to chew on. i'd have preferred more than 4 gradings for accuracy's sake, but your 4 work well for simplicity's. i also think that the "look to upgrade" label" is attached to everyone in football... but i'm just picking nits.solid post. will reply in detail on both this and your defence one in the days ahead.

Will
12-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Maurice Mann – Look to upgrade. Didn’t do much after joining the team, but had good chemistry with Ricky Ray in Edmonton. If they can find that connection in training camp, he’s got a chance to contribute.

Don't forget that he didn't go through training camp with the team and hurt his thumb not too long after joining the Argonauts. I might have graded Mann as "incomplete" rather than "look to upgrade."

Do you think that all of Tranks, Boldin and Ballard will be brought back?

ArgoGabe22
12-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Tranks has a knee injury so he might not even be ready for training camp.

Wobbler
12-30-2011, 02:15 PM
Are you implying that Copeland has rabies?

Seriously though, it's reasonable to expect significant personnel turnover everywhere except at RB, but with a new "everything" next year it'll probably take a while for it all to come together.

Speaking of new personnel, the Argos held three free-agent camps this month (Fresno, Atlanta, Knoxville); if any tidbits of info emerged from those, I missed them.

argolio
12-31-2011, 02:50 PM
BJ Hall – Solid contributor. He’s got a big arm and great athletic ability. No idea if he’ll ever be able to read a defence and develop into anything more than a third string, but he showed promise. Solid contributor? You have to be on the field to determine that and he hardly played. At this point he's just a notch above an unknown commodity.

ArgoGabe22
12-31-2011, 07:20 PM
BJ Hall is solid at 3rd and inches. Of course he hasn't played much but you got to bring back to TC.

marcwagz
01-01-2012, 09:48 PM
hall may as well be a rb, I don't even know if he completed a pass all last year

argolio
01-02-2012, 11:46 PM
BJ Hall is solid at 3rd and inches. Of course he hasn't played much but you got to bring back to TC.I've got no problem bringing him to camp, but a solid contributor is a player who starts (or at least plays a lot on special teams) and is very likely to make next season's team. Hall doesn't qualify.

Area 51
01-03-2012, 12:10 AM
I guess it might have been better if I'd included a few more gradings - - incomplete...developing....requires improvement...etc. But as I mentioned with the grading of Alexander Robinson, Hall does what's asked of him. Let's keep things in perspective - - Hall is the #3 QB. The expectations and requirements are much different from that of the #1 QB. If Hall were the #1 QB or even the #2, then I'd say he "Must Be Replaced". But he's the third string. His job is to come in on short yardage sneaks and get the first down. Hall did that fairly well last year. Similarily, if Bell was the third string and had the expectations of the #3 QB he might have been graded something other than "Must Be Replaced". But as the #2, there's more required and Bell failed to come close to those requirements. Every team needs a third QB. Some never see the field and do nothing all year. Others, like Hall, are asked to come in and contribute on short yardage. Hall didn't throw any picks. He didn't have any fumbles. Just converted the majority of the third down sneaks he was asked to do. Do you think Hall did a lousy job when he came in on short yardage?

argolio
01-03-2012, 12:21 AM
I can't argue Hall did fine for what he was asked to do, but I also can't call a guy who will probably be on the bubble to make the team a solid player.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8