PDA

View Full Version : Getting to the game ,parking, etc.

tennyis
07-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Hey guys, usually make it to a couple argos games a year, I'm located down the 401 in Kingston. I have always parked in Oshawa and taken the go train. However this time i'm taking my 10 year old to his first football game and don't want to take the go train. We are looking at making more of a day of it and do some sight seeing, etc.

Any advice on where to park would be appreciated. Also what would be the best time to hit for traffic being somewhat light? I am thinking Toronto traffic at 2pm can't be that bad? that would give us lots of time before the game starts to go for dinner, cn tower, etc any cool sports related attractions close by to go too?
Thanks!

Will
07-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Parking ought to be pretty expensive during the daytime downtown. There are no shortage of underground lots and a few surface lots, but I don't know which one would be cheaper than the other. Never underestimate the traffic situation in Toronto. It is probably likely to be lighter at 2:00, but you just never know with the DVP and the Gardiner. Kingston, eh, quite a hike for you.

AngeloV
07-16-2012, 10:41 PM
I work right downtown and park everyday at the Green P lot on the esplanade right behind the Novatel. $9 max until 6pm and $5 max from 6pm until 7am. I would take the DVP to Richmond. On the Richmond off ramp stay left and take Eastern ave (which turns into Wellington and eventually Front) west to Church. Turn left onto Church and the lot is at the bottom where Church ends, you can't miss it. About a 10-15min walk west to the dome. The only thing that may present a problem are the pay stations, if you've never used them before, but there not too difficult. Whatever you do, DO NOT LOSE YOUR PARKING TICKET.

Will
07-16-2012, 10:42 PM
I work right downtown and park everyday at the Green P lot on the esplanade right behind the Novatel. $9 max until 6pm and $5 max from 6pm until 7am. I would take the DVP to Richmond. On the Richmond off ramp stay left and take Eastern ave (which turns into Wellington and eventually Front) west to Church. Turn left onto Church and the lot is at the bottom where Church ends, you can't miss it. About a 10-15min walk west to the dome. The only thing that may present a problem are the pay stations, if you've never used them before, but there not too difficult. Whatever you do, DO NOT LOSE YOUR PARKING TICKET.

That's very reasonable for downtown, Angelo, there's no issue though with the 6pm changeover? I know there is at the parking garage of my parents office.

tennyis
07-16-2012, 10:47 PM
It's a hike for sure, but it will be well worth it as long as the Argos don't stink up the place haha. I have been really looking forward to Wednesday for a long time, you only get so many of these days with your kids!

Thanks Angelo that sounds great! Though the 15 minute walk after the game for a 10 year old might be a bit much, and are there any safety concerns that time of night in the area? The price seems very resonable, and as above what happens at 6pm? do I have to go back and get a second ticket?

I have used the pay station before at a different garage in Toronto, the first time was a learning experience haha. Out of curiosity what happens if you lose the ticket? I would assume you would just have to pay the daily maximum?

Will
07-16-2012, 10:49 PM
Some parking garages have policies for whenever someone loses their ticket. That area is fine as far as I know.

AngeloV
07-16-2012, 10:52 PM
That's very reasonable for downtown, Angelo, there's no issue though with the 6pm changeover? I know there is at the parking garage of my parents office.

It's $14 max from 7am to 7am next day.

AngeloV
07-16-2012, 10:53 PM
I have used the pay station before at a different garage in Toronto, the first time was a learning experience haha. Out of curiosity what happens if you lose the ticket? I would assume you would just have to pay the daily maximum?

In that case, I believe you would pay the daily max ($14), which you'll be paying anyway, so maybe it's not an issue. You would need to go to the booth at the Church st entrance and pay, and they would give you a ticket to get you out. Happened to me once a few years ago.

are there any safety concerns that time of night in the area?

None at all. There will be a great deal of fans (myself included) walking back that way after the game. Even if there weren't, Front Street is very safe.

tennyis
07-16-2012, 10:55 PM
yeah it's usually just the daily max, although at 11pm and no attendent on duty it would be a nightmare im sure... not planning on losing it regardless haha, I usually just leave them in the car then go back and get it and go the pay station, then I wont lose it.

tennyis
07-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Thanks Angelo!

tennyis
07-16-2012, 10:57 PM
p.s the site looks great, why the change? I was on the old site though I don't know if I had the same username... I was the guy that supported Cleo Lemon :) haha

AngeloV
07-16-2012, 11:00 PM
yeah it's usually just the daily max, although at 11pm and no attendent on duty it would be a nightmare im sure... not planning on losing it regardless haha, I usually just leave them in the car then go back and get it and go the pay station, then I wont lose it.

Carry it in your wallet instead. You need to pay before going back to your car. Of course, you can also use a credit card going in and out. It gives you a receipt, as you're leaving, and you don't get one of those tickets. It's not needed,as long as you use the same card going in as out.

AngeloV
07-16-2012, 11:01 PM
p.s the site looks great, why the change? I was on the old site though I don't know if I had the same username... I was the guy that supported Cleo Lemon :) haha

LOL...You and me both.

Mulder
07-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Hey guys, usually make it to a couple argos games a year, I'm located down the 401 in Kingston. I have always parked in Oshawa and taken the go train. However this time i'm taking my 10 year old to his first football game and don't want to take the go train. We are looking at making more of a day of it and do some sight seeing, etc.

Any advice on where to park would be appreciated. Also what would be the best time to hit for traffic being somewhat light? I am thinking Toronto traffic at 2pm can't be that bad? that would give us lots of time before the game starts to go for dinner, cn tower, etc any cool sports related attractions close by to go too?
Thanks!

I drive from Belleville for every game on weekdays. Usually bail out of work at 4pm. Get downtown for 6. My parking depends who's coming with. If it's the wife, park as close to the dome as possible. If it's me with a friend, I'll park in Angelo's spot.

Will
07-17-2012, 09:10 AM
I drive from Belleville for every game on weekdays. Usually bail out of work at 4pm. Get downtown for 6. My parking depends who's coming with. If it's the wife, park as close to the dome as possible. If it's me with a friend, I'll park in Angelo's spot.

He doesn't raise a stink when you park in his spot :)

AngeloV
07-17-2012, 11:58 AM
He doesn't raise a stink when you park in his spot :)

I'll have him towed next time. :p

tennyis
07-17-2012, 05:15 PM

belleville eh, want to car pool? just me and the boy haha.

tennyis
07-17-2012, 06:40 PM
whats the pregame meet all about? it's at 5:30 and the game is at 7? is it just meet there for a beer then go to the game? I'm assuming hopps is a bar?

tennyis
07-17-2012, 06:47 PM
one other question, 401 to young st to church street parking lot, instead of taking the dvp to richmond, will traffic make that a nightmare? I'd like to take a more scenic route, everytime I go to Toronto it seems like i'm stuck on the dvp lol.

argotom
07-17-2012, 07:29 PM
one other question, 401 to young st to church street parking lot, instead of taking the dvp to richmond, will traffic make that a nightmare? I'd like to take a more scenic route, everytime I go to Toronto it seems like i'm stuck on the dvp lol.

Knock on wood, the Don Valley parking lot has been good of late when going to the dome.
In fact, I recommend it.

Will
07-18-2012, 09:27 AM

Driving down Yonge Street could add time to your trip as well, especially driving it so far from 401. On weekends, sometimes I'll drive downtown on Avenue Road, but never Yonge.

Mulder
07-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Driving down Yonge Street could add time to your trip as well, especially driving it so far from 401. On weekends, sometimes I'll drive downtown on Avenue Road, but never Yonge.

I've always found the drive from 401 to Eglintonnot bad at all. This was pretty much always at 7-8pm heading to hockey.

AngeloV
07-18-2012, 11:55 AM
I've always found the drive from 401 to Eglintonnot bad at all. This was pretty much always at 7-8pm heading to hockey.

Yonge gets bad once you get south of St. Clair. I would much rather take Bayview straight down, but it can get a little confusing now with the construction south of Queen. If you take Bayview, exit at River St and take either Gerrard, Dundas, or Queen to Church, then turn left to get to the lot.

tennyis
07-19-2012, 02:17 AM
I took your original directions of the dvp and it worked out great! we had an awesome day! Hockey Hall of Fame, out for dinner and then the game. Best father/son day ever for us according to my son :) We where section 109A.

AngeloV
07-19-2012, 01:12 PM
I took your original directions of the dvp and it worked out great! we had an awesome day! Hockey Hall of Fame, out for dinner and then the game. Best father/son day ever for us according to my son :) We where section 109A.

That's awesome. Glad it all worked well!!

Mulder
07-19-2012, 03:50 PM
General warning, The Esplanade was closed from Younge Street. So getting to that green P parking lot was made a little more difficult.

I told the guy I bought that oddly Wednesday's are the worst weekday for traffic in Toronto. I don't know if there is any explanation for it. Just something i've noticed.

argos1873
07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
General warning, The Esplanade was closed from Younge Street. So getting to that green P parking lot was made a little more difficult.

I told the guy I bought that oddly Wednesday's are the worst weekday for traffic in Toronto. I don't know if there is any explanation for it. Just something i've noticed.

Just to add, its not only closed to cars but pedestrians too. So if you park at Esplanade, you have to walk up to Front further east of Yonge. Not a big deal but if your already running late for the game, and walk all the way down the Esplanade, you'll have to double back, because you can't tell its closed until you are almost already there. Not sure how long its closed for.

tennyis
07-19-2012, 09:39 PM
yup a police officer will tell you its closed if you attempt to go through haha. We had no problems with traffic whatsoever.

argos1873
07-19-2012, 09:55 PM
We had smooth sailing once we cleared Eglinton and hit the DVP. I love parking at Esplanade. Put your credit card in when you enter, put it in when you leave, no need to hit a pay station. And it only cost 5 bucks for the evening. Its a bit of a hike, but its an interesting hike. Gas and parking included, its cheaper than taking the TTC for 2 people from west Scarborough.

By the way, I won my tickets in a contest that I really don't remember entering. I asked the Argo rep who alerted me of my win which contest it was, and she said the Yellow Pages Win Zone contest. Anyone know where you enter that? I've searched high and low and couldn't find it. I wouldn't mind entering again!

AngeloV
07-19-2012, 10:37 PM

That's why I told tennyis to take the Church St entrance.

tennyis
07-20-2012, 11:30 AM
I am hoping to make it up for the Aug.5 game, will any of you guys be at the tailgate? sounds like a great time!

7dj83r8f78t4alf8