PDA

View Full Version : Cfl sports cards?

Argoscflguy
07-17-2012, 10:39 PM
Anyone collect any cfl cards?how big is your collection?what does it consist of?

Hollaway
07-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Only ones I have, is a box set of upperdeck from the year Rocket Ismail was with the Argos, but not much of a collector here.

LLB997
07-18-2012, 12:54 AM
i have 10 wax packs of unopened 1971 CFL cards i picked up at an Antique shop in the Catskills, Ny of all places. I wonder what the gum tastes like?

Nob
07-18-2012, 01:10 AM
I have the 91 set that Hollaway mentioned above. I also have various other Argo player cards from games when they handed them out. If I'm not mistaken I believe that they were from the 1990's. I'd have to look them up.

Other than that. Don't know what was available.

I used to have a bunch of Chris Schultz cards. That was until I coached football with Chris in Burlington one year. I brought them to practice for him to show the kids, and then for him to autograph them for me. He never did give them back......

Torontolaw
07-18-2012, 10:04 AM
I have the complete 71 set...great shots of argos

ArgoGabe22
07-18-2012, 10:08 AM
I have a bit of everything but nothing complete from 1952 Parkhurst to 2004 Pacific. Jogo's are expensive and boring so I make my own team set.

Argoscflguy
07-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Me too I collect odds and ends! My favorite card I have has to be a Russ Jackson rookie!

Hollaway
07-18-2012, 06:34 PM
I ended up giving my set to my son, still has it somewhere :P.

DanTheFan
07-18-2012, 11:33 PM
All but one of my CFL cards are from 1991 (the All-World set and most of the Jogo set). The other one is a Jogo card signed by Jason Pottinger.

Will
07-19-2012, 01:36 AM
You can still find the 1991 era cards in the vending machines at Rogers Centre.

Hollaway
07-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Kool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will
07-19-2012, 02:09 PM
For those who are long-time posters on Argofans, you may remember that Mark actually produced a set of player cards in or around 2006 or 2007 or so. I think Ania had something to do with it as well. They were sold at Fan Day when Argofans used to have a booth.

ArgoGabe22
07-19-2012, 02:13 PM
For those who are long-time posters on Argofans, you may remember that Mark actually produced a set of player cards in or around 2006 or 2007 or so. I think Ania had something to do with it as well. They were sold at Fan Day when Argofans used to have a booth.

What about CFL rights, logos, photographer licensing etc. ? Its something I would like to do but I think the fees will be too high unless I do it anyways with a risk of getting sued

Heres some of my 2012 autographed team set https://p.twimg.com/AwGdftbCIAAm8KE.jpg:large

Will
07-19-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't remember all the specifics of that card set because I wasn't privy to it. I think Ania would be in a better position to answer that question.

argomANIA
07-19-2012, 03:02 PM
The photos used for those cards were all taken by me. I have a much better DSLR camera then I did back then. Wish I could do it all over again. I believe that Mark did get permission from the team to print them. It was a set of 12 cards, in a box with AF.com logo on it for $5. And that ladies and gentlemen is how T-Bone got here. All my fault

1argoholic
07-19-2012, 04:13 PM
I have some boxed unopened set from when I can't remember. Also some odds and ends from various years along with all sorts of various CFL stuff. Plus my wife has her life long CFL collection of mostly Stamps stuff. We keep most in a very cool old trunk.

One very cool thing I have is from a buddy who used to live in TO and now on PEI. He's a collector of many cool things and much like myself loves hitting antique and collectable stores. About 15 years back he came across this set of four early 70's hammered bronze typecoasters with a pinkish inlay and the old helmet A logo that says Toronto Argonauts around the top of the helmet. It looks exactly like the helmet Theisman wore. On the bottom is a brown piece of felt. All four are mint and I've never seen any other CFL or Argo ones like it. I have them in hand as they sit behind me on the shelf. I wouldn't even want to use them.

Hollaway
07-19-2012, 04:39 PM
I would never use those 1argoholic, as a mater of fact, I would find a way to protect and preserve them, those are classic.

paulwoods13
07-19-2012, 05:03 PM
You can still find the 1991 era cards in the vending machines at Rogers Centre.

That is unreal. They have to have been in that machine, unbought, for 21 years. Because there is almost no way the vending machine operator would be reloading 21-year-old cards.

Hollaway
07-19-2012, 05:04 PM
LOL, that's crazy.

ArgoGabe22
07-19-2012, 05:26 PM
That is unreal. They have to have been in that machine, unbought, for 21 years. Because there is almost no way the vending machine operator would be reloading 21-year-old cards.

The 91 All world sets are the most overproduced CFL sets ever just because of Rocket's signing. I go to sports shows and they're literally giving these away because there are so many left untouched in boxes. I bought the complete set plus many doubles, even triples for only $2.

T-Bone
07-19-2012, 05:41 PM
What about CFL rights, logos, photographer licensing etc. ? Its something I would like to do but I think the fees will be too high unless I do it anyways with a risk of getting sued

Heres some of my 2012 autographed team set https://p.twimg.com/AwGdftbCIAAm8KE.jpg:large
You made those cards?

ArgoGabe22
07-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Yup have no clue what I'm doing on photoshop but in end thats how they turned out. Chad Owens once asked what I did and I replied I seriously have no clue. Cleo Lemon thought I majored in computer design (or whatever its called). Gagne Marcoux said I should start my own line. Kuale told me to email him but he never responded. I always give copies to the players.

Here's what my 2010 set looked like

Hollaway
07-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Wow, nice job.

T-Bone
07-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Yup have no clue what I'm doing on photoshop but in end thats how they turned out. Chad Owens once asked what I did and I replied I seriously have no clue. Cleo Lemon thought I majored in computer design (or whatever its called). Gagne Marcoux said I should start my own line. Kuale told me to email him but he never responded. I always give copies to the players.

Those are really impressive, nice work.

paulwoods13
07-19-2012, 06:31 PM

These are all really excellent. You have any still available, for sale or trade? I have a lot of limited-production JOGO sets and I'd be open to make trades.

ArgoGabe22
07-19-2012, 09:29 PM
These are all really excellent. You have any still available, for sale or trade? I have a lot of limited-production JOGO sets and I'd be open to make trades.

I have them all saved on file so I can print them off and cut them anytime.

DanTheFan
07-19-2012, 10:22 PM

You must be right because I didn't even know about such vending machines, and surely I'm not alone. Though yeah those sets were over-produced. I know I still see Pro Set and Score hockey cards from the early 90s in machines like that.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8