PDA

View Full Version : British Phrases (The Empire Thread)

Midnight Blue
07-24-2012, 12:16 AM
"Daaaling, there's an Aaaamadilo, luurking in the backyaad....

Shall I stomp it?"

Midnight Blue
07-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Right then.

Since this is the Empire Thread, we will allow Scottish humour too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eDOkzsilqo

Up yer Shaft !

D-Gap-Willie
07-24-2012, 01:17 AM
Funny how Brits believe that the rest of the world should understand their jargon..... or perhaps they don't want us to know what they are really talking about.
I was just watching a bit of the National Geographics channel, and up popped an ad for a new program Entitled "Banged Up A Broad" -- I thought, " Good grief. Why is National Geographic doing a program about some one getting a woman pregnant ?". Then I thought perhaps this jargon has a different meaning in other places. A quick search revealed they, in Brit Slang, are talking about being put in jail overseas !

1argoholic
07-24-2012, 01:06 PM
Banged Up Abroad has been around for a while and is a great show about stupid people doing stupid things to get tossed in the can in some pretty scary prisons. I know though, Banged Up A broad.haha.

I don't understand how Americans think Canadians say aboot as in about. I don't know any Canadians who talk that way.

anthonyrussell
07-24-2012, 02:58 PM
There is no American or Canadian English, there is only English and mistakes ;o)

(I say this in total jest of course, the fact Canada has a head of state who is an 86 year old woman who inherited that position by accident of birth is silly. Actually come to think of it, it's pretty silly she's our head of state as well.)

argonaut11xx
07-24-2012, 05:15 PM
There is no American or Canadian English, there is only English and mistakes ;o)

haha...so true...

She is a great old gal, Canada is very lucky to have her as our monarch

Midnight Blue
01-09-2013, 12:16 AM
"Care for a cup of Mine Strone, Aarry (Harry)?"

A Campbell's soup commercial maybe some 20 years ago, where an English Lady was asking her English Husband if he wanted to try this new-fangled Italian soup called mi-nes-tro-ne.

Mine Strone. I've called it that ever since.

Midnight Blue
01-09-2013, 02:33 AM
Ok, one for the Ladies:

"Great Scot, that's one eluv an ard on Aarry!"

Midnight Blue
05-30-2013, 11:56 PM
"Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves,

Britons never ever, shall be slaves."

7dj83r8f78t4alf8