PDA

View Full Version : Fun stats after 4 weeks

bluto
07-24-2012, 03:38 PM
after 4 weeks (plus 2 preseason games) i've had the feeling that we were not capitalizing on our red zone opportunities and allowing sloppy ST play to lose games for us. in fact, i doubt i'm the only one around here to suppose that if we'd just been sharper about those two issues that we'd be a strong 4-0. nevertheless, since we have so many new players and starters... and all of our players are learning new systems (Milanovich's offence and Jones' defence) it would be understandable if we weren't a well-oiled machine right out of the starting blocks, right? if there's a phase where our guys play hard until they "gel" and then are competitive in the second half of the season?

so i decided to have a statistical look into this to see if there were any grounds for it or rather if i was just being a double-blue glasses wearing homer...

Offence:

Most total points - 5th - 106 (26.5/game)
Time of Possesion - 1st - 32:19
Most plays from scrimmage - 1st -339 (also most rushes and passing attempts and completions)
Most yards on offence - 1st -1639 (avg 409/game)
Most passing yards - 2nd - 1262
Passing % - 2nd - 69.5%
Most yards rushing - 3rd - 439 total (109.8/game)
Gain per rush - 4th - 5.2 (Boyd is actually 6.2 and leading the league in total rushing yards)
Times intercepted - t4th - 4
Times fumbled - t5th(last) - 7 (lost 4 of them which is second last)
Yards penalized - 4th - 308
Fewest times sacked - t2nd - 7 (not bad for a team that supposedly had major O-Line concerns)

conclusions: with Ray, Boyd & Co. gaining more real estate than any other offence but with our points total being fairly middling, it seems obvious to me that we need to be sharper in the red zone and start turning some of those FGs (which we're 1st in) and MFG singles (also 1st) into TDs... if we do this, the sky's the limit... so long as the other side(s) of the ball pull their weight... which brings us to:

Defence:

Total points - 4th - 113 (this is a tough one though since the CFL stats page doesn't differentiate between points a defence surrenders and those given up by STs...)
Fewest plays from scrimmage - 3rd - 303
Fewest yards surrendered - 1st - 1126
Fewest first downs - 1st - 63
Fewest yards rushing - 2nd - 351
Fewest yards passing - 1st - 838
Lowest passing % against - 1st - 50% (and way ahead on this one too... likely thanks to how bad the Bombers were)
Most Interceptions - 1st - 6
Most Sacks - t5TH - 7

no doubt here that the defence has been living up to their end of the bargain.

most yardage for, fewest yards against... (also should add that we're 1st in kickoff return yards... seems almost like that has gone without saying since #2's been in town though)

so overall i'm sure that Coach Milanovich can see that the road to improvement lay within:
- improving scoring % in the red zone, and
- limiting the damage that opposing kick returners do to us

those two improvements as well as maintaining our current standard everywhere else will have us in the battle at the top of the league this season (statistically speaking, of course... at this early juncture anyway ;) )

ArgoGabe22
07-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Great job posting this. Now the critics can stop complaining

AngeloV
07-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Great job posting this. Now the critics can stop complaining

wanna bet? :D

argolio
07-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Yards penalized - 4th - 308Not bad considering the penalties in game one.

bluto
07-24-2012, 06:37 PM
i doubt that they'll quit whining either... haters gonna hate, right?

but it seems to me like having an offence that leads the CFL in yardage is the sort of thing that we've been starving for for fifteen seasons... pair that with the stingiest defence and a new coaching staff with new players that are still improving and you've got to be bullish on the outlook.

AngeloV
07-24-2012, 06:47 PM
i doubt that they'll quit whining either... haters gonna hate, right?

but it seems to me like having an offence that leads the CFL in yardage is the sort of thing that we've been starving for for fifteen seasons... pair that with the stingiest defence and a new coaching staff with new players that are still improving and you've got to be bullish on the outlook.

The numbers are great...especially when considering that Barnes sucks and should be cut; Owens should be traded; Spencer Watt just plain old sucks; and Milanovich should get Kackert into the offence. :p

1argoholic
07-24-2012, 08:00 PM
I don't understand why people have been on Owens but I've brought up the fact that Watt has done little. So that makes me a hater? I think observation and comment are far different than hating.
Now I HATED Lemon! I hate that we have a league with NO BALLS when it comes to suspensions. NO WAY Khalif Mitchell should be playing this week and then against us. Better tell our O lineman to watch their arms or Khalif we'll go all chicken wing on them. Makes mme sick. I can deal with a late hit or a facemask but to rip on a guys arm. I HATE IT!

jerrym
07-24-2012, 08:07 PM
I may be in danger of repeating what others have said, but great summary, Bluto

Fungi
07-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Lemon was new to the league. He had a SH__ t faced OC and a half assed pudgey coach. We had Shyte in the way of receivers.
I`ll always wonder if Lemon could have done better.
IMO

flafson
07-24-2012, 09:34 PM
I don't understand why people have been on Owens but I've brought up the fact that Watt has done little. So that makes me a hater? I think observation and comment are far different than hating.
Now I HATED Lemon! I hate that we have a league with NO BALLS when it comes to suspensions. NO WAY Khalif Mitchell should be playing this week and then against us. Better tell our O lineman to watch their arms or Khalif we'll go all chicken wing on them. Makes mme sick. I can deal with a late hit or a facemask but to rip on a guys arm. I HATE IT!

Didn't he get 2 games ban? If it takes effect right away then he shouldn't be playing against us.

paulwoods13
07-24-2012, 11:05 PM

It doesn't make you a hater. But I'd like to know your response to the suggestion a few of us have made that (a) Watt has caught every ball within reach of him this season, (b) he has been wide open deep at least twice -- once his TD was negated by a penalty, and once he was overthrown, and (c) he plays the position that traditionally gets the sixth-most touches in an offence. I just don't understand how anyone can claim he hasn't done much. He's done everything that's been asked of him, IMO. If he had his current stats as a No. 2 or No. 3 option there would be reason to question him, but he is the No. 6 (or at best No. 5) option in this offence.

AngeloV
07-24-2012, 11:10 PM
It doesn't make you a hater. But I'd like to know your response to the suggestion a few of us have made that (a) Watt has caught every ball within reach of him this season, (b) he has been wide open deep at least twice -- once his TD was negated by a penalty, and once he was overthrown, and (c) he plays the position that traditionally gets the sixth-most touches in an offence. I just don't understand how anyone can claim he hasn't done much. He's done everything that's been asked of him, IMO. If he had his current stats as a No. 2 or No. 3 option there would be reason to question him, but he is the No. 6 (or at best No. 5) option in this offence.

Paul...If the Argos don't have (5) thousand yard receivers than obviously they need to get rid of the ones that don't reach that lofty goal.

bluto
07-24-2012, 11:20 PM
Paul...If the Argos don't have (5) thousand yard receivers than obviously they need to get rid of the ones that don't reach that lofty goal.

if the football gods are kind to use and the injury bug doesn't bite us too badly, i reckon that three 1,000 yarders is almost assured and that four is very likely... five though Ang...? i don't dare to dream it...

AngeloV
07-24-2012, 11:25 PM
if the football gods are kind to use and the injury bug doesn't bite us too badly, i reckon that three 1,000 yarders is almost assured and that four is very likely... five though Ang...? i don't dare to dream it...

Neither do I, but apparently some think anyone that isn't contributing to that level should be cut or traded.

bluto
07-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Neither do I, but apparently some think anyone that isn't contributing to that level should be cut or traded.

their bosses and wives must be so pleased by their high standards... i'm pressuming of course that they also hold themselves to them...

ArgoRavi
07-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Didn't he get 2 games ban? If it takes effect right away then he shouldn't be playing against us.

Mitchell has appealed and the hearing won't take place until after the Argos/Lions game on August 6th.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8