PDA

View Full Version : RIP Greg Mohns

Will
07-25-2012, 01:40 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=401419

I didn't even know he was sick.

argolio
07-25-2012, 02:24 PM
Couldn't find his age online (in his 60's I would guess).

R.I.P.

ArgoRavi
07-25-2012, 03:08 PM
I know that Mohns didn't get a lot of love from many Argos fans but he, along with Adam Rita, played integral roles in building the '04 Grey Cup winners. Mohns was the one who found long-time fan favourites such as Jonathon Brown, Byron Parker and Jordan Younger and should be applauded and appreciated for what he did for the Toronto Argonauts. It is sad to hear of his passing today.

1argoholic
07-25-2012, 03:16 PM
He was a big part of two Grey Cups in TO but his last stint was a gongshow. He was known more for dining around North America than finding talent.
I do remember him as being a nice enough guy while we attended practices and did bbq's for the players and staff.

ArgoRavi
07-25-2012, 03:26 PM
He was a big part of two Grey Cups in TO but his last stint was a gongshow. He was known more for dining around North America than finding talent.
I do remember him as being a nice enough guy while we attended practices and did bbq's for the players and staff.

I totally forgot about the '96 Grey Cup. Thanks for the reminder. His last stint btw included the '04 Grey Cup win and a team that contended regularly from '03 to '07. Unfortunately, '08 and '09 did not go well but they were only two years and how much input he had into those teams is also questionable.

gilthethrill
07-25-2012, 04:59 PM
This is certainly unexpected sad news. I remember when the CFL took over operations of the Argos in I believe 2003, one of the casualties of the cutbacks was Greg Mohns. When C&S bought the team later that season, one of the first moves made was to bring Mohns back. That decision was vital to the Argos not only winning the Cup in 04, but also helped the Argos have one of the best records in the league the next 4 seasons.

jerrym
07-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Greg Mohns, who worked in the Argos front office and coached the Lions has died from throat cancer.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/cfl-mourns-the-loss-of-former-coach-and-executive-greg-mohns/article4441410/
“He will forever be remembered as one of the architects behind three of the team’s Grey Cup championships in 1996, 1997 and 2004, and responsible for finding some of the most talented and decorated players to ever wear Double Blue,” said a statement issued by the Argos late yesterday afternoon.

Mohns first joined the Argonauts for the 1996 season as its assistant general manager and director of football operations. After missing the 1995, the team improved to an over-all record of 17-3 en route to winning the first of back-to-back Grey Cup championships in 1996 and 1997...

In 34 games at the Lions helm, Mohns’ posted a career record of 22-12.
Mohns rejoined the Argos in 2003 as director of football operations, and once again helped to assemble a team that found immediate success by winning the 2004 Grey Cup championship. Mohns was rewarded for his work the next year when he was promoted to assistant general manager and director of football operations, a position that he held until his departure in 2009."

Will
07-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Thread already in CFL forum.

1argoholic
07-25-2012, 09:04 PM
He died four times today already.

jerrym
07-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Sorry about the double post. It appeared that my first post did not go through when I made it.

ArgoRavi
07-26-2012, 02:14 AM
Here is link to a good article summing up Mohns' career: http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/cfl/article/1231856--cfl-s-greg-mohns-dead-at-62-toronto-argonauts-executive-in-grey-cup-years

ticatfan
07-26-2012, 09:55 AM
I remember that he always had time for a chat at Badali's post game

ArgoGabe22
07-26-2012, 10:07 AM
I thought Adam Rita was the GM? Players are saying how Mohns signed them as Argos but I would've thought Rita would have done that.

Will
07-26-2012, 11:31 AM
He died four times today already.

Are we going to be like Chevy Chase on SNL: Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead?

Oarsman
07-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Condolences to his friends and family.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/cfl/article/1231856--cfl-s-greg-mohns-dead-at-62-toronto-argonauts-executive-in-grey-cup-years

1argoholic
07-26-2012, 02:32 PM
Yah for some reason it just got al SNL type silly from where I was sitting yesterday.

ArgoRavi
07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
I thought Adam Rita was the GM? Players are saying how Mohns signed them as Argos but I would've thought Rita would have done that.

As an assistant GM, it would not be unusual for Mohns to be negotiating the contracts.

Gill The Thrill
07-26-2012, 07:08 PM
I know that Mohns didn't get a lot of love from many Argos fans but he, along with Adam Rita, played integral roles in building the '04 Grey Cup winners. Mohns was the one who found long-time fan favourites such as Jonathon Brown, Byron Parker and Jordan Younger and should be applauded and appreciated for what he did for the Toronto Argonauts. It is sad to hear of his passing today.

Before working in Toronto, he might have been director of Player Personal in Hamilton when he came in to a restaurant where'd I'd been working in at that time (around 94,95). I served him and remember overhearing him discuss football with the lady companion that he was with. I did not recognize him by face, but did recognize his name on his credit card. Although I respected peoples' privacy and did not approach him to talk football, he was not pretentious at all and seemed to be very down to earth. You could tell he really loved his job as it was a time when the Ticats were having severe financial trouble and the crowds were just not coming out, around the time when they were getting 11-15k and there was real talk of the team barely surviving after the season.

Might of been the season when O'Shea while still a Ticat made his tearful plea on TV after an OT loss to Saskatchewan at Ivor Wynne, and when the crowd sitting in the rain after the loss refused to quickly exit comprehending that it may have been the last game ever. I think this was either 94 or 95, as O'Shea was an Argo in '96 and '97.

All that being said, Mohns was a big part of the CFL in Southern Ontario and BC for a couple of decades and his passion for the sport will be missed.

Will
07-26-2012, 07:36 PM
The game you are referring to Gill happened in 1994. There was a lot of instability with the franchise that season. In the game that Paul Woods posted on Youtube where the Argonauts made a huge comeback in the fourth quarter, the commentators, Don Wittman and James Curry, kept making reference to the fact that the Ticats felt that they needed to win that game for the "future of the franchise." Obviously the team survived that time and is still here today.

ArgoRavi
07-26-2012, 08:52 PM
I remember that game well, Gill. Paul McCallum kicked the winning FG on the final play of the game for the Riders and that eliminated the Ticats from post-season contention (Ottawa made the playoffs instead with a 4-14 record). IIRC, there were 24k at that game which was a huge crowd in Hamilton back in those days and, yes, there was much concern that that would be the final CFL game ever at old Ivor wynne.

gilthethrill
07-27-2012, 08:14 AM
The game you are referring to Gill happened in 1994. There was a lot of instability with the franchise that season. In the game that Paul Woods posted on Youtube where the Argonauts made a huge comeback in the fourth quarter, the commentators, Don Wittman and James Curry, kept making reference to the fact that the Ticats felt that they needed to win that game for the "future of the franchise." Obviously the team survived that time and is still here today.

Wasn't that the game Marvin Graves was to become a superstar in the CFL? Rob Crifo brought down a couple jump balls in the 4th.

ArgoRavi
07-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Wasn't that the game Marvin Graves was to become a superstar in the CFL? Rob Crifo brought down a couple jump balls in the 4th.

Yes, it was Graves' finest moment.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8