PDA

View Full Version : What a storm

Will
07-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Woken up at 2 am to frequent lightning (every few seconds) and thunder as loud as I've ever heard. This lasted for quite awhile. Can't argue that we needed the rain, but wow mother nature has quite a way of thrusting it upon us.

Deerkeeper
07-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Woken up at 2 am to frequent lightning (every few seconds) and thunder as loud as I've ever heard. This lasted for quite awhile. Can't argue that we needed the rain, but wow mother nature has quite a way of thrusting it upon us.

I heard a bit of rumbling and saw a few flashes in Barrie, other than that, zilch.

1argoholic
07-26-2012, 10:34 AM
One summer storm in Southern Ontario can dump more rain than we get in Duncan through four or five months this time of year. That was what floored me the first year here. We go from wet to drought. Plus I've seen a few flashes of lightning about 10 to 12 times in the last 10 years. Heard thunder maybe four times other than trips back to Ontario in summer. Never any real rain along with it here.

Will
07-26-2012, 11:30 AM
I heard a bit of rumbling and saw a few flashes in Barrie, other than that, zilch.

Really? I thought that the system was moving southward from Georgian Bay, but alas I think the storm that hit in the middle of the night was part of a front that was coming from the SW. There was some extensive flooding in an industrial park west of where I live and the 404 was closed near Highway 7 due to flooding.

Argocister
07-31-2012, 01:50 AM
The storms this year have been interesting to watch.
When surfing around, there was a comment somewhere how between the tornados and the riders in
Sasky, there hasn't been as many touchdowns this year ...... Then it referenced a website with amazing pictures from storm chasers. Amazing

http://tornadohunter.ca/

Will
07-31-2012, 01:07 PM
Quite a storm were having right now.
Loud thunder, frequent lightning and pretty intense rain.

Midnight Blue
08-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Quite a storm were having right now.
Loud thunder, frequent lightning and pretty intense rain.

I hate to be the exe-cutor of understatements, but I just wanted to say: Cool.

Cheers ! And keep your head down. Watch out for funnel clouds.

Bring all kids and wives and relatives indoors (preferably into the basement), and tie the beer fridge to one of the major (or minor, if absolutely necessary) supporting beams of the house.

If you are fore-warned, and if you have the time, try to clear the surrounding 5 square miles of lawn furniture, pork-smokers, un-attached trailers (drive any un-paid-for tractors away), trim all un-deciduos (pine/evergreen) trees of superfluous cones, put at least four tent pegs into the corners of the dog house (bring the dog inside into the basement), and crack a bottle of your favourite booze.

Good Luck !

Midnight Blue
08-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Hey, who ever said that weather is boring? Anyone ever had any close calls?

7dj83r8f78t4alf8