PDA

View Full Version : Glen Johnson should be fired!!!

AngeloV
07-26-2012, 10:49 PM
An absolute brutal call on a roughing penalty on Bombers D-lineman Alex Hall. He call a hit to the head, when it was clear it was not. #1 job of a ref is to call what he sees, and not what he anticipates or thinks he sees. For the most part the league has gone with new head ref the last couple of years. Time for 1 more.

KCargosfan
07-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Couldn't agree more. The officiating this year has been sub-par at best.

1argoholic
07-27-2012, 12:37 AM
His lead arm slid over the helmet but it wasn't a direct high hit.

mchesher03
07-27-2012, 12:51 PM
An absolute brutal call on a roughing penalty on Bombers D-lineman Alex Hall. He call a hit to the head, when it was clear it was not. #1 job of a ref is to call what he sees, and not what he anticipates or thinks he sees. For the most part the league has gone with new head ref the last couple of years. Time for 1 more.

absolutely 100% agree. I think the problem now with the speed of the game, plays etc. is we have officials anticipating calls to try to stay in-line with things. A terrible case in point was the Jason Barnes (correct me if I'm wrong) catch which was overturned in Hamilton with NO VIDEO EVIDENCE of the drop but our boy Jake assuming it was dropped. i couldn't believe it.

AngeloV
07-27-2012, 02:27 PM
absolutely 100% agree. I think the problem now with the speed of the game, plays etc. is we have officials anticipating calls to try to stay in-line with things. A terrible case in point was the Jason Barnes (correct me if I'm wrong) catch which was overturned in Hamilton with NO VIDEO EVIDENCE of the drop but our boy Jake assuming it was dropped. i couldn't believe it.

You bring up a great point on the Barnes play. Truth be told, a ball can touch the ground on a completed pass, providing the receiver is deemed to have full possession of the ball throuout the contact with the ground. If the ball moves around or is dislodged, than it is incomplete.

Deerkeeper
07-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Lets make this the official referee bashing thread. Pathetic. If you guys can do a better job, I love to see you try.

AngeloV
07-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Lets make this the official referee bashing thread. Pathetic. If you guys can do a better job, I love to see you try.

Hey, just like when a player makes mistake after mistake he eventually gets cut. Some officials (and Glen Johnson is the worst IMO) should be held a lot more accoutable than they are. The call last night was brutal. As I said, an official is suppossed to call what he sees. How he saw a blow to the head is beyond me. I thought the Kuale ejection last year was a bad call (a penalty ye, but not an ejection), but last night's was even worse.

mchesher03
07-27-2012, 04:05 PM
You bring up a great point on the Barnes play. Truth be told, a ball can touch the ground on a completed pass, providing the receiver is deemed to have full possession of the ball throuout the contact with the ground. If the ball moves around or is dislodged, than it is incomplete.

the thing about that play was that i have no doubt it was actually a bobbled pass but there was no video evidence of it being bobbled - jake just assumed and rolled with it. it should be difficult to overturn plays due to the whole 'indisputable evidence' part

relax guy - it's an internet forum. discussing missed calls its a little more fun then discussing correct calls - no? all part of the game.

argolio
07-27-2012, 04:07 PM
Glen Johnson is obviously anti-Bomber!!

ArgoRavi
07-27-2012, 04:30 PM
What did everyone think about the call on the blocked punt? Was that the correct call? I have been watching CFL for over 35 years now and I am not sure that I have ever seen a play like that one. I would have thought that the Bombers would have had to carry the ball for a first down once they picked it up as the Esks never had possession of the ball after the blocked punt but I guess that the Esks contacting the ball behind the line of scrimmage was good enough?

argolio
07-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Didn't he carry the ball for about 20 or so yards?

ArgoRavi
07-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Didn't he carry the ball for about 20 or so yards?

Remember that the Bombers had lost a good 20 yards or so prior to punting it. They had to get to the 22 yard line for a first down IIRC and the ball carrier only got to the 30something.

1argoholic
07-28-2012, 01:17 AM
That was indeed a first for me in my over 40 years of watching CFL football.

argolio
07-29-2012, 07:21 PM
Remember that the Bombers had lost a good 20 yards or so prior to punting it. They had to get to the 22 yard line for a first down IIRC and the ball carrier only got to the 30something.It was 3rd and 29 from the Edmonton 47, so they actually had to get to the 18. This is the explanation on CFL game tracker:

Recovery E48, J. MCGEE Fumble Recovery E44, M. MILLER Fumble Return (-4 yds), J. MCGEE Fumble Return (20 yds), M. MILLER Fumble E44, Tackle: C. THOMPSON Edmonton blocks punt but touches the loose ball behind LOS making it live. The ball then crosses the LOS where it is recovered and advanced by Winnipeg to Edm 24.Either they got the call wrong, or Edmonton touching a punt behind the LOS counted as possession, meaning that Winnipeg's recovery of Edmonton's fumble counted as a new possession for them.

The league should really clarify this one.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8