PDA

View Full Version : August 6th 2012: BC Lions vs. Toronto Argonauts

T-Bone
07-28-2012, 12:09 PM
http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/bc.png vs. http://cfl.assets.mrx.ca/shared/sked_blocks_logos/2012_2/2012_schedule_default2/tor.png

Week 6
Monday, August 6th 2012 at 5:00pm ET.
Rogers Centre. Toronto, ON.

TV: TSN (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?id=508)
TSN Mobile TV: Details Here (http://www.tsn.ca/mobiletv/)
Radio: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/radio/feature/?id=43622)
Audio Webcast: TSN Radio 1050 (http://www.tsn.ca/Toronto/listen/)

US Viewing:
Video Webcast: ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/watchespn/index/_/channel/espn3)

Depth Chart: Here (http://www.argonauts.ca/depthchart/list/team/7/year/2012)

Pre-Game Tailgate: Rogers Centre Outside Gate 11 Starting at 1:00pm. Info here (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argos-prepare-to-extend-winning-streak-this-monday-at-home).

Will
07-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Would be a great game for the Argos to win!

1argoholic
07-28-2012, 05:06 PM
Well we'll be prepared and well rested. It would be huge. They'll need to get pressure on Lulay and also be able to contain. We've had issues with guys running up the gut.

Argocister
07-28-2012, 11:14 PM
Wonder if we could get to 27,000 in attendance ...... With it being family day, and a long weekend, and the Argos are tied for first...... Good combo
(re posted to the proper thread )

ArgoRavi
07-29-2012, 12:21 AM
Wonder if we could get to 27,000 in attendance ...... With it being family day, and a long weekend, and the Argos are tied for first...... Good combo
(re posted to the proper thread )

I think that media coverage plays a significant role in the attendance and, sadly, I don't see a lot of coverage for the Argos over the next week with the Olympics in full swing. If they can get 23k or more, they will have done very well.

Will
07-29-2012, 12:24 AM
The Lions handled the Stampeders 34-8 at McMahon. Perhaps, their early season funk is over. Hopefully the Argos can get them off their game.

1argoholic
07-29-2012, 12:45 AM
When I watch BC I only wish we had that type of Canadian talent at key offensive positions. Three solid receivers and Harris. Plus Parris Jackson waiting in the wings. Two GTA guys in Gore and Foster. Oh and they used Lumbala to rest Harris the odd time. You watch the way the Lions shuffle guys in and out in all sorts of formations and you swear that they're playing with too many guys. Argos are going to be in very tough. It'll be very difficult to contain Lulay and all that talent. I think we'll be very hard pressed to win this one. We need a full 60 minutes and a few breaks.

jerrym
07-29-2012, 01:00 AM
BC's Canadian talent came from refusing to trade draft choices and spending assessing Canadians in the CIS and NCAA in detail, something the Argos need to do more of. However, trading a #1 draft choice for Ray was necessary to get a top qb. BC looked like it was starting to gel into the 2011 end-of-season form that won them the Grey Cup as the Calgary game wore on and Lulay used both his passing and running skills to dominate the game from the middle of the third quarter onward. This will be a real test for the Argos.

1argoholic
07-29-2012, 01:04 AM
BC Jr ball helped out bigtime in getting Harris. He looks so good. To think I could have seen him play in Nanaimo not too long ago. Maybe we'll finally get to a game this year.

Nob
07-29-2012, 01:26 AM
Give Wally credit - he knows how to get good players.

I'd be surprised if there is more then 23,000 at the game Monday. End of the long weekend, cottage travelers, and the Olympics, or any other excuse - there is always some sort of reason to keep people out of the dome. Hopefully that will change soon.

1argoholic
07-29-2012, 05:06 PM
A win against BC could help.

Invader
07-29-2012, 06:54 PM
The Stamps were a fairly highly regarded team (and favoured by 3 points) going into the game against the Lions...and B.C. chewed them up and spit 'em out. The Argos will need some magic from Owens on special teams and a superlative offensive effort to beat the Lions...who you know are going to score some points.

gilthethrill
07-29-2012, 09:31 PM
I think that media coverage plays a significant role in the attendance and, sadly, I don't see a lot of coverage for the Argos over the next week with the Olympics in full swing. If they can get 23k or more, they will have done very well.

You are right Ravi, media coverage does play a role in attendance...does not seem to help when Buffalo visits RC once a year....:)

flafson
07-30-2012, 01:10 AM
Think ill go to that game, hopefully the Argos will put another good show.
Is Ticketmaster the cheapest/only way to buy tickets? I remember last year i was able to select the exact seats that i wanted through Ticketmaster, now it only seem to pick the tickets for me and i tell it the price range.
Any gameday tips would be great by the way.

KCargosfan
07-30-2012, 01:35 AM
When I watch BC I only wish we had that type of Canadian talent at key offensive positions. Three solid receivers and Harris. Plus Parris Jackson waiting in the wings. Two GTA guys in Gore and Foster. Oh and they used Lumbala to rest Harris the odd time. You watch the way the Lions shuffle guys in and out in all sorts of formations and you swear that they're playing with too many guys. Argos are going to be in very tough. It'll be very difficult to contain Lulay and all that talent. I think we'll be very hard pressed to win this one. We need a full 60 minutes and a few breaks.

My biggest concern isn't BC's skill players, I'd take Ray and Boyd over Lulay and Harris, but their defensive line going against our OL. We've got to play much better there than we did against Montreal.

Nob
07-30-2012, 09:08 AM
KC you are bang on. That BC DL is scary. Our OL won't match up unless they step up their play.

1argoholic
07-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Our Oline better watch they leave with both arms still functioning as Dirty Mitchell will still be playing. Ricky Ray better watch the cheap shots from BC db's like they gave Glenn. Two weeks and two dirty plays go uncalled for BC. Wasn't until after the game the CFL dropped the lame suspension on Arm Breaker Mitchell.

KCargosfan
07-30-2012, 07:12 PM
KC you are bang on. That BC DL is scary. Our OL won't match up unless they step up their play.

Keron Williams is a freaking beast. Montreal has to be kicking themselves for not re-signing him before '10.

flafson
07-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Think ill go to that game, hopefully the Argos will put another good show.
Is Ticketmaster the cheapest/only way to buy tickets? I remember last year i was able to select the exact seats that i wanted through Ticketmaster, now it only seem to pick the tickets for me and i tell it the price range.
Any gameday tips would be great by the way.

I know that i probably asked a noob question but would love to hear some responses.

Argocister
07-31-2012, 01:33 AM
I know that i probably asked a noob question but would love to hear some responses.
Being a season ticket holder, I just phone up the Argos office to get extra tickets. Then I usually can pick where I want the seats. There is another thread on here that was promoting some good priced tickets...... Check with Tc .

T-Bone
07-31-2012, 10:45 AM
I believe the deal tc23 pointed out (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?717-Save-up-to-28-on-any-Toronto-Argonauts-home-tickets.&p=9470&viewfull=1#post9470) is better than the season ticket holder discount. If that doesn't work for you I can get you a ticket with my season ticket holder discount jut PM me.

flafson
07-31-2012, 03:14 PM
The deal from TC looks so cool, Gold tickets for $60, i think that's 20% off, i wonder why they don't offer Platinum tickets but ill take that deal any day, thanks!

T-Bone
08-02-2012, 01:03 PM
The Argos are doing the pre-game tailgate again. Info here (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argos-prepare-to-extend-winning-streak-this-monday-at-home).

Invader
08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
The Argos are doing the pre-game tailgate again. Info here (http://www.argonauts.ca/article/argos-prepare-to-extend-winning-streak-this-monday-at-home).
Fans will again be able to purchase tall boy cans of beer for just $5 or a barbequed gourmet sausage...sounds good!

marcwagz
08-02-2012, 04:35 PM
hmm, gourmet sausages you say? lunch tail gate and ticket offer sales?

I may come to this game after all

Wobbler
08-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Wayne Smith practised today (http://www.thestar.com/sports/football/cfl/article/1236100--toronto-argonauts-cory-boyd-hopes-to-celebrate-birthday-with-big-running-game), so he seems probable for Monday. It remains to be seen whether our OL can reliably open running lanes for Boyd, but at least we'll probably have our best guys.

Speaking of the OL, I'm curious to see whether Jones will start again. I didn't notice him specifically on Saturday, but it wasn't a great overall performance by the OL.

Fungi
08-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Support the CFL and buy a ticket.
Grey cup champs vs a newbie offence.
Although Benevides is a newbie head coach.
I think this is going to be the game of the week, if not the year.
Remember AB3 and BP. They`ll both want something to say.
Good luck Ray! You have a real OC in the camp...Go Argooos!

1argoholic
08-02-2012, 09:20 PM
You forgot Lin J Shell as well be coming back.

Invader
08-02-2012, 11:00 PM
The Lions seem to be expecting a noisy crowd at RC on Monday. Here is an excerpt from the Lions blog:

Lions getting pumped up for Argos

They still do get big crowds for football at Toronto’s Rogers Centre, though it usually requires an NFL game to get them close to capacity during the regular season. If it gets noisy Monday though, the Lions are ready.

There’s always a first time for anything. You may have not thought of Toronto’s Rogers Centre as a mean, nasty place of business for visiting teams trying to deal with crowd noise. But there’s at least one CFL coach who thinks that way and he was coaching the Lions in Surrey at practice Thursday.

Mike Benevides may have recorded some kind of CFL first when he ordered portable speakers on the field and had them cranked up for the benefit of his offence, and of course no doubt to the delight of other locals who frequent this bit of paradise day and night.

Given that the Toronto Argonauts routinely have been last in attendance the last few years, not to mention how they have also played, it likely would have been more appropriate to pipe in the sound of crickets. Come to think of it, the noise wasn’t that loud, which no doubt will be rectified when the Lions go loud again at practice Friday.

But Benevides isn’t about to let his team go to sleep in the days leading up to a game preceding a bye week, which turned out poorly for three of the four teams who faced a similar situation last week.

http://www.cflblogzone.com/2012/08/lions-getting-pumped-up-for-argos/

flafson
08-02-2012, 11:11 PM
Just ordered a pair of tickets for section 210, hoping for a good game and a win. :hi:

ArgoRavi
08-03-2012, 12:51 AM
You forgot Lin J Shell as well be coming back.

It is incredible that the 43rd best player in the league, according to this year's TSN poll, is not even starting for the Lions.

Wobbler
08-03-2012, 01:21 AM
I think that says more about the quality of the poll than the quality of the Lions' secondary.

ArgoRavi
08-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I think that says more about the quality of the poll than the quality of the Lions' secondary.

I agree. The fact that Chris Garrett made the top 50 based on about six starts and that Buck Pierce was #29 says a lot about the quality - or lack thereof - of that poll.

ArgoZ
08-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Just ordered a pair of tickets for section 210, hoping for a good game and a win. :hi:

I'm in 210, row 1. See ya there!

ArgoRedneck
08-03-2012, 08:29 PM
Just told that pre game tail gate IS all ages. Last tailgate was age of majority only. Talked to head office today and was told that it was an age of majority event again. Someone made a mistake telling me this. Well done Argos correcting this!!!! See you there.

flafson
08-04-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm in 210, row 1. See ya there!

I'm in row 6, see you there.

294life
08-04-2012, 12:21 PM
really looking forward to this one.

flafson
08-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Is Khalif Mitchell​playing against us? Or is he still playing under appeal?

Mulder
08-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Is Khalif Mitchell​playing against us? Or is he still playing under appeal?

He's appealed it, meaning he'll play against us. Silly that it was over 2 weeks to hear his appeal though.

flafson
08-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Yea, i really don't understand it, maybe the next game after the appeal but 2 games already? He was fist fighting someone else last game, what is going to stop him from injuring one of ours now?

1argoholic
08-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Gotta watch out for Mr Dirty.

Wobbler
08-05-2012, 04:16 PM
The depth chart is out (http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/pdf/en/depth/2012/2012_RegSeasonGame06_Aug6_BC080616.pdf). They have taken Alix off the 46-man, which makes sense - Waters has been good. Lee comes off the PR (for the first time) to take his spot. This is another example of responsible use of the PR list (http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?835-I-appreciate-the-way-we-re-using-our-PR-players-this-season) this year.

Wobbler
08-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Last week the scratches were Mann, Kackert, Parenteau, and Cohen. Perhaps this week we'll scratch Lee instead of Parenteau, and substitute more frequently on the OL to keep everyone fresh.

paulwoods13
08-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Last week the scratches were Mann, Kackert, Parenteau, and Cohen. Perhaps this week we'll scratch Lee instead of Parenteau, and substitute more frequently on the OL to keep everyone fresh.

I'd love to see Cohen back, if he is healthy. The only way I see to do that is to sit Summers.

I wouldn't mind seeing Parenteau dressed, and think that is a decent possibility with Wayne Smith's uncertain health.

1argoholic
08-05-2012, 11:17 PM
Well it should be screaming hot at 2pm here to watch the game in our oven. Holy crap it's been hot with close to 40c the last two days in The Warm Land (Cowichan Valley)
I can't believe ac isn't a big thing here. We have all my 1960's fans going making the tv room sound like Victoria International Airport.

Go Argos Go!!!

Fungi
08-05-2012, 11:47 PM
|It's hot here too! Throw the attic access off and let the hot air go up.
We're all geared up for the Braley Bowl here.My bet is on the Argos ,of course. Use your receivers Ray. Watch out for BP!.
My wife is wearing Orange...I'm wearing THE BLUE. Fun!
Still waiting on a 100th year fight song.
Maybe some one from the Argonotes?

1argoholic
08-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Yah would kick having a 100 year fight song.

Argocister
08-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Great weather here today.... the humidity is less outside of T.O. so hopefully it will be better in town as well.
Looking forward to the game! I'm pumped!
ARGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!!!!!

:)

Hollaway
08-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Argos over the Lions in a shootout at the Rogers Center :).

1argoholic
08-06-2012, 01:54 PM
WEll it's not about 3 hour until kickoff and I'm nervous. I really hope we can win this one.

gilthethrill
08-06-2012, 01:56 PM
WEll it's not about 3 hour until kickoff and I'm nervous. I really hope we can win this one.

I am working until 6, so kickoff for me is about 7 hours away...I share your nervousness.....

Hollaway
08-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Should be much better then the last game we played vs the Lions, which if I'm not wrong, I think we got blown out.

jerrym
08-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Missed the opening minutes to watch the US-Canada soccer game. Incredible game by Canada. After such an inspiring game by Canada, to turn on the Argos to immediately see a TD, followed by a second interception was deflating to say the least, especially after BC has had no interceptions until this game. At least they stopped them from quickly scoring a second TD. Maybe the Argos can work off that to get back in the game.

jerrym
08-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Great hit by McCULLough on Gore. Seems to have fired up the Argos as there was a knockdown on the following play followed by a nice runback by Owens.

jerrym
08-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Hope the time count violation is not symptomatic of an Argos game of errors. We can't give away to many opportunities to this opponent.

Nob
08-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Awful quarter. Looks like men versus boys. Let's hope they can pick it up inthe last 3 quarters.

Nob
08-06-2012, 05:53 PM
It might be time to take out one of the extra NI to put an OL in there. I'm not sold on the line

jerrym
08-06-2012, 05:55 PM
What a break! TD Parker stopped by a offside.

Stevoman
08-06-2012, 06:10 PM
It looks like Lin J Shell is angry with the Argos cutting him. He's in the middle of everything but not necessarily in a good way. He'll get some penalties today.

Nob
08-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Two mistakes in one half in not getting the snap off early enough would have kept drives alive.

Nob
08-06-2012, 06:21 PM
The defense is doing what they can. Let's hope that he offense can get going.

jerrym
08-06-2012, 06:34 PM
With all the mistakes against a team like BC, the Argos should be out of it. However, they are hanging in there and still have a chance.

294life
08-06-2012, 06:36 PM
:bored: oh man whadda snoozer. the soccer was more exciting than this.

1argoholic
08-06-2012, 06:43 PM
This game is CRRRRAAAAPPPP! Canada got screwed in soccer. D is playing well the O needs to get something going. This is horrible and our worst game of the year by far. Crowd looks like about 20 thou if that.

Nice to see BC with all of its GTA guys doing well.

Nob
08-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Paging Jason Barnes. Attention Mr. Barnes, the second half is about to begin. Your team would be happy to see you

KCargosfan
08-06-2012, 06:55 PM
It might be time to take out one of the extra NI to put an OL in there. I'm not sold on the line

No doubt. Their DL is whipping us up front.

KCargosfan
08-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Paging Jason Barnes. Attention Mr. Barnes, the second half is about to begin. Your team would be happy to see you

Why you would keep Barnes in to block while Boyd goes out as a WR makes little sense to me? Boyd is a much better blocker and Barnes would be a better receiver.

294life
08-06-2012, 07:00 PM
looks like chad wants to win this one by himself

KCargosfan
08-06-2012, 07:06 PM
looks like chad wants to win this one by himself

Time to cut Andre Durie after that drop? :)

KCargosfan
08-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Good night, our OL is absolutely getting manhandled.

294life
08-06-2012, 07:15 PM
so is theirs

KCargosfan
08-06-2012, 07:18 PM
so is theirs

Yes, thank goodness.

KCargosfan
08-06-2012, 07:23 PM
No point in even attempting to run the ball.

Nob
08-06-2012, 07:23 PM
The special teams coverage has improved greatly.

294life
08-06-2012, 07:28 PM
nice goal line stand. too bad for the penalty.

KCargosfan
08-06-2012, 07:32 PM
goal line stand! amazing.

It was. Damn Marcus Ball.

jerrym
08-06-2012, 07:34 PM
What a great goal-line stand even though it ended in a TD because of the penalty. Hopefully, the Argos will take a positive from such a tough defence rather than a negative from the TD.

Nob
08-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I backed up that play on my pvr since TSN missed the reply, AGAIN. I'm not seeing the offside.

Nob
08-06-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm not sure how the official further away from Ball calls him offside? The official closest to Ball didn't flag him.

Another poor week for CFL officials. All too common. Tom Higgins is a joke.

KCargosfan
08-06-2012, 07:36 PM
How do CFL officials call that offsides on Ball? The refs in this league are horrid.

KCargosfan
08-06-2012, 07:37 PM
I'm not sure how the official further away from Ball calls him offside? The official closest to Ball didn't flag him.

Another poor week for CFL officials. All too common. Tom Higgins is a joke.

You are dead-on. Tom Higgins should be fired.

jerrym
08-06-2012, 07:38 PM

I don't know if you're joking, but considering some of the comments about cutting players, I can't take that for granted. The man is leading the league in YAC yardage and key component of the game.

294life

may have slightly redeemed himself there. Ray on the other hand...

Nob
I guess it makes up for the phantom offside call that wasn't there Parker's pick six

KCargosfan
08-06-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't know if you're joking, but considering some of the comments about cutting players, I can't take that for granted. The man is leading the league in YAC yardage and key component of the game.

:) = sarcasm. I'm not one of the morons on here advocating we cut some of our best players.

tennyis
08-06-2012, 07:46 PM
this is brutal, what a frustrating game.

jerrym
08-06-2012, 08:00 PM
:) = sarcasm. I'm not one of the morons on here advocating we cut some of our best players.

I thought so but you never know when you see some comments on here. I wonder if the cutters will soon be chanting "Lets cut Ray. He was terrible".

1argoholic
08-06-2012, 08:01 PM
This game is fecal matter about 6' deep. The Argos O line is horrible and this is what happens when you have a pylon qb with no time. Not sure I want to head over to Vancouver for Sept 15th for the Argo game. We're supposed to go with BC Lion fan friends and their boy but not sure I need the abuse that'll I'll surely get and not being able to respond with a 14 year old beside me. We haven't won in BC since we've lived here and I don't see the streak ending this year. We have ten days to prepare and this is what we come up with. Look at the bright side, next week is a bye week.

Midnight Blue
08-06-2012, 08:08 PM
I saw this game differently.

First, you spot the Defending Grey Cup Champs with 10 points.

Then, you give them one safety point, and another touchdown, later.

I think we have a World Class Defence, and they will only get better.

As for our Offence, they will only get better too.

I mean, we have Ricky Ray.

Step one, to winning any Grey Cup, is Defence.

Ka 'Pla !

Stevoman
08-06-2012, 08:09 PM
4 turnovers against the reigning champs leaves no chance for a win even though the defence was solid. Some great hits in this game and I loved the goal line stand and the back to back sacks in one defensive series. Our O-line was dominated and that was the difference in the game. I think Parker's TD should've counted but not the offside on Ball. The big killer was the penalty that negated Boyd's big gain at the end of the first half. A touchdown there and this could've been a different game. If we allow this to be our worst performance of the season than we will be in good shape down the stretch.

KCargosfan
08-06-2012, 08:09 PM
I saw this game differently.

First, you spot the Defending Grey Cup Champs with 10 points.

Then, you give them one safety point, and another touchdown, later.

I think we have a World Class Defence, and they will only get better.

As for our Offence, they will only get better too.

I mean, we have Ricky Ray.

Step one, to winning any Grey Cup, is Defence.

Ka 'Pla !

I like the optimism, Midnight. You are right in that our defense was awesome tonight.

jerrym
08-06-2012, 08:18 PM
I like the optimism, Midnight. You are right in that our defense was awesome tonight.

I agree the defence was great throughout the game, especially on the goal-line stand when the Lions only scored a gift-wrapped TD on a third down penalty. Even then the defence hung in there after this TD, showing their mental toughness. However, I think the offensive line needs an upgrade in at least one position to counter top defences, like the Lions.

1argoholic
08-06-2012, 08:29 PM
It's crap like this that makes even a diehard like me wonder why I'm sitting in on a beautiful day watching crap. No wonder why people not as loyal don't go to the dome. An NFL game broke out today.
I can't believe that you have 10 days to prepare and you lay that kind of an egg. My as well of had Cleo in there as the O looked no different than the last three years.

Midnight Blue
08-06-2012, 08:36 PM
It's crap like this that makes even a diehard like me wonder why I'm sitting in on a beautiful day watching crap. No wonder why people not as loyal don't go to the dome. An NFL game broke out today.
I can't believe that you have 10 days to prepare and you lay that kind of an egg. My as well of had Cleo in there as the O looked no different than the last three years.

1argoholic,

I think the difference is, if our Defence was crap, we'd be 1-5 right now instead of 3-3.

Offence has time to improve throughout the season.

A crap Defence will get you into a 1-5 hole.

We have the makings of some magic.

Cheers !

1argoholic
08-06-2012, 08:38 PM
We might have but we're a few years away from any magic.

Midnight Blue
08-06-2012, 08:49 PM
We might have but we're a few years away from any magic.

I don't know Man, but I think we have a good chance this year.

Defence is the first equation. Six games in, they seem to be able to stop anybody.

Ricky Ray needs to work the Offence.

Defence is there. Again, it is a cornerstone for Championships.

I'd rather have a Killer Defence as our main strength, than a Killer Offence, anyday.

Cheers !

Stevoman
08-06-2012, 08:51 PM
The other thing of note was how loud the crowd got at times. I'm sure it helps the players when the crowd makes some noise on Defense

flafson
08-06-2012, 08:57 PM
You guys could hear the crowd on tv?
I still didn't understand what happened with their goal line TD attempt. I saw the coach throw a challenge flag after we grabbed the ball out of the hands of the runner, it seemed like a legal fumble. For some reason the ref said they will review it and a second later started playing like nothing happened.

294life
08-06-2012, 09:35 PM
best crowd at the dome so far 22,800+. that's higher than our best crowd at montreal this year.

1argoholic
08-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Even thought the whistle wasn't blown the runner was surrounded. In other words the officials make it up as they go along. That should have been our ball. The league has to straighten out some of this BS.

Right now we have the most expensive qb in the league with an O line that doesn't cut the mustard. If I was another team watching this game I'd rush the house on every play because we looked horrible on O today.

Will
08-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Willie Pile's tweet summed it up

Willie Pile ‏<s>@</s>ill_will_35 (https://twitter.com/ill_will_35) Tough L by the <s>#</s>Argos (https://twitter.com/search/%23Argos). Unfortunately I've seen THIS movie waaay too many times! No turnovers forced + too many turnovers = L to a good team!

Not to say the D played badly, but he's right in the respect that to win these types of games you need to force a turnover or two.

KCargosfan
08-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Not to say the D played badly, but he's right in the respect that to win these types of games you need to force a turnover or two.

Or not have your QB have 4 turnovers.

gilthethrill
08-06-2012, 11:04 PM
TSN acted like the game was interupting Olympic coverage by starting late then getting off the game at the end in a big hurry. Anyway, just too many little mistakes that keep killing momentum it seems. Our D is nothing short of fantastic, our kicker hit all his attempts & kick coverage was the best it has been all year.

RR was not able to get comfortable today due to the Lions pressure, I suppose you give them credit as much as you worry about our line. Feel bad for Spencer Watt. He came back nice to a ball that was called back & was called on a suspect illegal block that negated Boyds catch to the 1 yard line.

Winnipeg in the East & Kevin Glenn quarterbacking Calgary = playoffs this year for the Argos.

Not sure about Jake Ireland in the replay booth.

Fungi
08-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Good game to watch. I had fun. Too many penalties, on both sides. Good stuff against the champs. I'd love to see more downward passing. This team is going to be HOT, soon.
Thanks Argos. It certainly wasn't a yawner. Especially the goal line stance.
Note to BP. You was robbed.

ArgoFan1
08-07-2012, 12:26 AM
YES more downward passing. At least try some of that !! I was furious watching that crappy game plan. I watched the wide receivers in the final three to four minutes when it was crucial that they move the ball down field and they all ran about 7 yards down field and then came back toward the line of scrimmage !!! And, of course, Ray throws a three yard pass to Boyd. That's when I started booing. We had Lemon who could throw those last year. Who comes up with those lousy game plans. How many passes were thrown for 1 or two yard gains.??? Drives me bonkers. Not saying Ray is doing this, but rather the play calling which is the coach's fault, since he is the offensive co-ordinator as well.

Nob
08-07-2012, 12:59 AM
I think we would all love to see a downfield attacking offense. However I'm guessing that the game plan probably involved quick hitters and short range quick passes. I'm wondering if the coaching staff planned for being overpowered at the line of scrimmage.

Defense was great. Enough said there. I remember saying in the 4th we needed a pick six, or a turnover. Didn't get it, but when you need it it is a sign of a tough day for the offence.

Special teams are getting really good again.

They've now gone 6 quarters without an offensive touchdown. Watt and Barnes combined for 1 catch, 8 yards, 1 bad penalty that took away a big play, and 1 bad block that resulted in Ray getting sacked. I know that everyone here is tired of hearing me say this, but it's not good enough. If the Argos had taken them out of the lineup and replaced them with two blue pylons would anyone have noticed?

I'm hoping that this is the "slump" that happens over the course of a season, and gets corrected, and quickly. We have the defense, and we have Ray, so there is the foundation for a good team. However, let's not look at the world through double-blue colored glasses - there is another team in Ontario that is playing really good football right now. The Argos are a .500 team. Yes, they have potential, but the Lions and the Cats are ahead of the game right now. The Argos aren't quite there ......yet (although this is the closest they've been in years).

argolio
08-07-2012, 01:35 AM
I backed up that play on my pvr since TSN missed the reply, AGAIN. I'm not seeing the offside.A number of Argos were lined up offside. The players likely were a bit too anxious after the previous two defensive stops, and it was an easy call for the refs.

Even thought the whistle wasn't blown the runner was surrounded. In other words the officials make it up as they go along. That should have been our ball. The league has to straighten out some of this BS.

Right now we have the most expensive qb in the league with an O line that doesn't cut the mustard. If I was another team watching this game I'd rush the house on every play because we looked horrible on O today.The ref didn't explain it well -- not sure exactly when the whistle was blown, but I'm assuming they ruled forward progress was stopped. Anything that happened after that was irrelevant. Having said that, I haven't seen the replay of the game (and I probably won't) so I don't know if the refs were correct.

You have to have the horses to have a pass rush, and B.C.'s d-line is good enough to do that with or without blitzing. They were pretty awesome in this game. Or from an Argo perspective, our o-line was pretty bad.

flafson
08-07-2012, 01:52 AM
The reply on the big screen in the game showed that the runner was trying to lean with his back towards the end zone and a fraction of a second later an Argo picked the ball from his hands. I've seen those kind of plays many times and it always depend on the whistle to stop the play. Pretty sure there wasn't one but for some reason they assumed it can't be a turnover.

argolio
08-07-2012, 02:16 AM
Pretty sure there wasn't one but for some reason they assumed it can't be a turnover.It's the judgement of the refs as to when forward progress is stopped, and that can be a grey area.

anthonyrussell
08-07-2012, 02:22 AM
Think Coach Milanovich sumed it up well, disapointed they didn't play better. When you're QB gives up 4 turnovers you're likely going to lose. Lions are a good team and you can't win them all. Regroup, refocus and go again.

ArgoRavi
08-07-2012, 04:32 AM
We are a third of the way through the season and have a 3-3 record with all of our games being close games. I will take that. If there is a better defence in the east than ours, I would like to see it. Our offence is inconsistent but still the best that we have had in years. Special teams have gradually improved - the additions of Spencer and Boulay have certainly helped - and are no longer a concern. There are a few things to clean up on offence but I feel very good about this team heading into the final two-thirds of the season. We aren't at a point yet where we can win a Grey Cup but I think that we can get there by November.

zontar
08-07-2012, 05:31 AM
Think Coach Milanovich sumed it up well, disapointed they didn't play better. When you're QB gives up 4 turnovers you're likely going to lose. Lions are a good team and you can't win them all. Regroup, refocus and go again.

Southampton ? Remember '77 !!

Mulder
08-07-2012, 07:29 AM
You guys could hear the crowd on tv?
I still didn't understand what happened with their goal line TD attempt. I saw the coach throw a challenge flag after we grabbed the ball out of the hands of the runner, it seemed like a legal fumble. For some reason the ref said they will review it and a second later started playing like nothing happened.

They said forward progress was stopped. The replay shows we had the ball a good 2-3 seconds before the whistle was blown. The RB was still moving forward (slowly) at this time.

Mulder
08-07-2012, 07:34 AM
How do CFL officials call that offsides on Ball? The refs in this league are horrid.

Here is that offside call.

http://www.argofans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137&d=1344339220

KCargosfan
08-07-2012, 08:46 AM
Here is that offside call.

http://www.argofans.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=137&d=1344339220

That's not who they called it on.

Nob
08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Then who did they call it on? I know the official on the field indicated that it was Ball, but can somebody please show me what would cause an official to throw a flag? The toenail being over the line is not enough, in my opinion. There was no advantage gained by the defense, and nor was there any disadvantage to the offence. Good officials use the principle of advantage/disadvantage when making calls.

I still state that it was a bad call. Ditto the BC offside that took away Parker's pick six. CFL officials are consistently bad. To me that falls at the hands of Tom Higgins. I think he's in his position with the league because he is part of the old boys club, but that is merely my speculative opinion.

Regardless, the officiating stunk both ways. Can't, and won't, use it as an excuse for why the Argos lost. Just an observation.

flafson
08-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Well, to be fair though, the officials also took off the board an interception for a TD by BC so it wasn't all one way.

It's funny though, if they had the right call and it should have been a turnover, then our guy had a free 100 yards to run with no one near which means a TD. At 18-9 if you take away 1 TD from them and add 1 TD to us, score should have been 16-11 in our favour. Dream on...

Will
08-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Chris Cuthbert was talking to Tatti, Hogan and Anunziata yesterday on the post-game show and he admitted that the officials did not do a good job today. I don't think he stated that any particular team was aggrieved by this more than the other though, it was just a general comment. It certainly is frustrating in the stands when your team is behind and at times it can seem like all the flags are going against you. There were a ton of offside penalties on both clubs yesterday evening. Even if the Argos stopped BC there on the 1-yard line or wherever, it wasn't like the offense was lighting it up.

AngeloV
08-07-2012, 11:15 AM
That's not who they called it on.

My seats are right on that goal line, and admittedly, before the ball was snapped, I was yelling get back. Argos actually had at least three guys line up offside on that play. It's pretty simple. Ball on the 1 yard line, you can't line up over the goal line. A player's entire body must be a full yard off the line of scrimmage. It's not a matter of the feet, or hands. The line extends up to the sky, so they can't even be leaning over that line.

1argoholic
08-07-2012, 11:52 AM
It's those plays that should NEVER happen just like the lazy offsides in hockey that drive me nuts. It's pretty easy to look down and see where your feet are unless you have double vision and see two lines. haha.

Gill The Thrill
08-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Let's not sound like the women's soccer team by complaining that these calls never get made, but why are they against us? It was a penalty, it was unfortunate that a call like that ruined a goal line stand, but it's been typical of the penalties that this team has taken with some of the same personel from last season. Coaches should be stressing at all times during practice, and they probably do, especially to the imports who grew up playing in the states that you must lineup a yard off the ball on defence....There's really no excuse for it, and if you make one for them, then you're setting up your players to lose.

AngeloV
08-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Let's not sound like the women's soccer team by complaining that these calls never get made, but why are they against us? It was a penalty, it was unfortunate that a call like that ruined a goal line stand, but it's been typical of the penalties that this team has taken with some of the same personel from last season. Coaches should be stressing at all times during practice, and they probably do, especially to the imports who grew up playing in the states that you must lineup a yard off the ball on defence....There's really no excuse for it, and if you make one for them, then you're setting up your players to lose.

It's very unfortunate..especially when considering the ball went to the other side, and the offside players had nothing to do with the play.

argotom
08-07-2012, 01:40 PM
My first chance to comment on yesterday's fiasco, our worst game of the year.
The loss can strictly fall on the shoulders of Ricky who had his worst game of the year.
It reminded me of the Cleo disaster when dink and dunk underneath for little or no game were the basis of the offense.
I think there was maybe one throw downfield for Owens in the second half with a 25 yard gain or so.
There was no attacking in the zone defence of the Lions and while at the dome there were missed open receivers and with Ricky having the time but failing to read.

Will
08-07-2012, 01:51 PM
You don't think the horrid performance by the offensive line had anything to do with the loss?

gilthethrill
08-07-2012, 02:35 PM
The loss can strictly fall on the shoulders of Ricky who had his worst game of the year.
It reminded me of the Cleo disaster when dink and dunk underneath for little or no game were the basis of the offense.
I think there was maybe one throw downfield for Owens in the second half with a 25 yard gain or so.
There was no attacking in the zone defence of the Lions and while at the dome there were missed open receivers and with Ricky having the time but failing to read.

A.T., I can't agree with you stating yesterdays game was a fiasco. In 2 of the 3 phases of the game, the Argos were excellent. Special teams coverage was the best I had seen all year. The additions of Boulay & Spencer have paid off, & having a healthy kicker who can kickoff to the 5 yard line is a luxury. The defence is arguably the best in the league. They have only been together for 1/3 of the season & already are dominant. Lulay & Co really had no answers.

It seems this year the offence struggles with zone defences. That has to change. Give BC credit for harassing RR all day long, they will do that to other teams as well as the season goes on. I am excited about the 2012 Argos.

ArgoRavi
08-07-2012, 03:02 PM
It's those plays that should NEVER happen just like the lazy offsides in hockey that drive me nuts. It's preety easy to look down and see where your feet are unless you have double vision and see two lines. haha.

It is all about discipline for sure.

flafson
08-07-2012, 03:06 PM
RR and Co were bad, but what kept me and the crowd going was the fact that the defence were able to keep us in the game.

ArgoRavi
08-07-2012, 03:07 PM

I agree with you on all points here, Gill. BTW, I am already sick and tired about the pity party for the women's soccer team. As we know in football, no game is decided by one (or even a few) questionable officiating calls as there are always mistakes that the players make throughout the game which have much more impact. Suck it up and take responsibility for the loss! I am sure that is what the Argo coaches and players are doing.

AngeloV
08-07-2012, 03:27 PM

Wow...Once again you fail to understand what is needed to be successful in football AT. As you have done for the last 2 years, you have put the entire focus on the QB when things don't work out. There was no time at all to throw down field yesterday. Pretty much everyone on here has acknowledged that.

AngeloV
08-07-2012, 03:31 PM
I agree with you on all points here, Gill. BTW, I am already sick and tired about the pity party for the women's soccer team. As we know in football, no game is decided by one (or even a few) questionable officiating calls as there are always mistakes that the players make throughout the game which have much more impact. Suck it up and take responsibility for the loss! I am sure that is what the Argo coaches and players are doing.

C'mon Ravi. I agree with you 99.99% of time on here, but we've all complained about a call here and there which has cost the Argos a game or 2 in the past. The women's team has reason to be upset. Now, if it wouldn't have been such a huge upset had Canada won, then I don't think it would be as big an issue. This team played the game of their lives, and in the end, got screwed.

1argoholic
08-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Canada played their butts off and why wouldn't they be upset. I'm not even a soccer fan and I couldn't believe the very one sided officiating. When your playing against your huge rival that you never beat and everytime you have them down some BS call helps them out. Sinclair showed the heart of a true champion. Have to admit I love womens soccer compaired to the sucky action in the mens game. The only stay down when they are really injured.
Not sure why anyone takes observations as whining. Canada did indeed deserve a better fate.

How can Ray be blamed for not having anytime or tipped balls. This is what happens when you O line is growing together and you have pretty much a pylon qb. One of the best pocket passers ever but none the less sometimes with a rush like that crap happens. They are the professionals that have to work this stuff out. I'm just a guy that drinks great Vancouver Island Brewery Seadog Ale and watches. haha.

argotom
08-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Wow...Once again you fail to understand what is needed to be successful in football AT. As you have done for the last 2 years, you have put the entire focus on the QB when things don't work out. There was no time at all to throw down field yesterday. Pretty much everyone on here has acknowledged that.

Sure he was being pressured and the O line was suspect.
Having said that there were times that he did have enough time to throw but his reads were awful and that does not fall on the line.
I was watching at the dome with the entire field being visible.
There were open receivers and he failed to locate then going instead to the check off stuff.
He failed to stretch the D and that my friend resulted in the D line and the various backs to play up and pin their ears by blitzing and the different schemes.
In this instance the blame does fall fairly on the shoulders of RR.

Wobbler
08-07-2012, 05:39 PM
I thought there was plenty of blame to go around in this poor offensive effort. Watching on TV I couldn't tell if receivers were getting open, but some of Ray's throws were obviously not great. I expected much tougher running from a rested Boyd; sure, he wasn't getting good lanes but on multiple occasions he was stopped in his tracks one-on-one. Milanovich/Himebauch didn't seem to adapt our strategy very effectively, either; you're not going to turn Ray into a roll out passer, but more screens and the occasional subbing in of a TE for blocking help could have been tried. Penalties all over the place obviously didn't help.

Am I mistaken or did Owens line up at WR several times yesterday? I thought we had concluded that he was more effective at slot.

Skilled defence is nice, but I watch football to see cleverly schemed, well-executed offense. There wasn't much of that.

flafson
08-07-2012, 05:52 PM
If you mention Boyd, it reminded me something. During the game it was obvious to me when we were going to run and when pass. Until the 4th quarter, almost all the time it was first down run, 2nd down pass. It was even obvious to the Lions because when it was time to pass they covered all the receivers very well.

argotom
08-07-2012, 05:59 PM
I thought there was plenty of blame to go around in this poor offensive effort. Watching on TV I couldn't tell if receivers were getting open, but some of Ray's throws were obviously not great. I expected much tougher running from a rested Boyd; sure, he wasn't getting good lanes but on multiple occasions he was stopped in his tracks one-on-one. Milanovich/Himebauch didn't seem to adapt our strategy very effectively, either; you're not going to turn Ray into a roll out passer, but more screens and the occasional subbing in of a TE for blocking help could have been tried. Penalties all over the place obviously didn't help.

Am I mistaken or did Owens line up at WR several times yesterday? I thought we had concluded that he was more effective at slot.

Skilled defence is nice, but I watch football to see cleverly schemed, well-executed offense. There wasn't much of that.

I agree with you, watching the entire field as I mentioned, there were several times the receivers were either wide open or with a step on the coverage.
Yes Ray was pressured, but no more then normal and he definitely missed several opportunities to go downfield and stretch the D, therein lies the key.
The Lions played up front in the box and it made it easy for the linement and blitzing backs.
Overall the poor effort and therefore the underneath crap schemes reminded me too often of last year.
I would have thought yesterday anyway how Scott being a former QB, the OC for many years there would have been these obvious adjustments made at the half.
Go figure.

argolio
08-07-2012, 08:46 PM
I agree with you, watching the entire field as I mentioned, there were several times the receivers were either wide open or with a step on the coverage.
Yes Ray was pressured, but no more then normal and he definitely missed several opportunities to go downfield and stretch the D, therein lies the key.
The Lions played up front in the box and it made it easy for the linement and blitzing backs.
Overall the poor effort and therefore the underneath crap schemes reminded me too often of last year.
I would have thought yesterday anyway how Scott being a former QB, the OC for many years there would have been these obvious adjustments made at the half.
Go figure.Clearly you should be our offensive coordinator.

ArgoRavi
08-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Milanovich/Himebauch didn't seem to adapt our strategy very effectively, either; you're not going to turn Ray into a roll out passer, but more screens and the occasional subbing in of a TE for blocking help could have been tried.

It was suggested on the post-game show on TSN Radio that the Argos should have tried using slide protection and screens. BTW, don't forget that Himebauch is no longer with the Argos as he left last December or January for an NCAA position. Milanovich is doing the offensive coordinating himself (although I am sure that all offensive coaches have input).

Hollaway
08-07-2012, 09:05 PM
Yeah horrible loss yesterday, but relax now as we have a couple of weeks rest, regroup and lets get at it.

Wobbler
08-07-2012, 11:19 PM
BTW, don't forget that Himebauch is no longer with the Argos as he left last December or January for an NCAA position. Milanovich is doing the offensive coordinating himself
You may consider that an acceptable excuse for Himebauch, but I'm not as easily mollified. He has been a disappointment from day one.

(In other words, thanks Ravi - I forgot)

KCargosfan
08-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Canada played their butts off and why wouldn't they be upset. I'm not even a soccer fan and I couldn't believe the very one sided officiating. When your playing against your huge rival that you never beat and everytime you have them down some BS call helps them out. Sinclair showed the heart of a true champion. Have to admit I love womens soccer compaired to the sucky action in the mens game. The only stay down when they are really injured.
Not sure why anyone takes observations as whining. Canada did indeed deserve a better fate.

Concur, and I'm an American. The Canadian women got screwed and Sinclair may have played the best individual women's game I've ever seen.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8