View Full Version : Ottawa.... reality begins

Argocister
07-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Just found this about their stadium ..... first step..... tear down the old

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/07/30/demolition-begins-on-coliseum-building

Finally

argomANIA
07-31-2012, 01:32 PM
We were in Ottawa last weekend and drove by. Half the stadium was already down. Was kinda bittersweet....I was there in '04 for the win!

1argoholic
07-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Been to Landsdowne many times and just like CNE, Winnipeg Stadium,Regina and Hamilton everyone will have shiny new stadiums. I hope they make a boatload of noise and dust for all of those folks in the area who held this up for years in the courts.

KCargosfan
08-01-2012, 01:54 AM
So does this mean Ottawa is on track for 2014?

ArgoRavi
08-01-2012, 03:50 PM
So does this mean Ottawa is on track for 2014?

There still is one more court case to dispose of (with the Lansdowne Conservancy) and then the city has to take a final vote in September IIRC. It is getting tight for 2014 but hopefully it can still be done. The city, in the meantime, is trying to get other non-stadium work done on the Lansdowne site.

1argoholic
08-01-2012, 07:56 PM
I thought it was all said and done and ready to roll.

ArgoRavi
08-02-2012, 01:51 AM
I thought it was all said and done and ready to roll.

Not yet, unfortunately.

Mulder
08-02-2012, 06:56 AM
There still is one more court case to dispose of (with the Lansdowne Conservancy) and then the city has to take a final vote in September IIRC. It is getting tight for 2014 but hopefully it can still be done. The city, in the meantime, is trying to get other non-stadium work done on the Lansdowne site.

Using Winnipeg's Stadium construction as a milestone, which is on month 19 since ground breaking. Ottawa assuming they get started in October, will have 21 months to complete the project in time for opening day 2014.

Major differences of course are they are only building 1 side, and reno of the other. I think it should be done.

January 26, 2011

Will
08-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Also, the delays in Winnipeg were blamed on weather. Now, Ottawa winters can be harsh, but likely not to the extent of Winterpeg.

Midnight Blue
08-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Also, the delays in Winnipeg were blamed on weather. Now, Ottawa winters can be harsh, but likely not to the extent of Winterpeg.

And on the mosquitos. The Winnipeg mosquitos are huge and plentiful. They routinely fly off with 2x4s and pieces of plywood and small I-beams from the construction site, which they use to make their mosquito nests. This leads to further delays in stadium construction.

Will
08-02-2012, 12:08 PM
And on the mosquitos. The Winnipeg mosquitos are huge and plentiful. They routinely fly off with 2x4s and pieces of plywood and small I-beams from the construction site, which they use to make their mosquito nests. This leads to further delays in stadium construction.

A distinct possibility.

1argoholic
08-02-2012, 05:46 PM
That's exactly what I was going to say Midnight Blue. haha. Ottawa can have pretty bad winters but I don't see that delaying it.

Midnight Blue
08-02-2012, 07:42 PM
Out of curiosity, are there any names being bandied about, for the new Ottawa team? Are they going to have a contest or something, to get the perfect team name?

Personally, I think it should at least rhyme, with "Rough Riders". And "poo" on the Saskatchewan (Roughriders) management, for getting their panties in a twist, and vetoing (blocking) Ottawa from using Ottawa's traditional name.

Anyway, since Ottawa is on the Ottawa River/Rideau Canal (don't ask), my first entry into the "Name the Ottawa franchise", might be something like, "The Ottawa Carp Grinders". Seriously. It would piss off Saskatchewan, and bring some more fun and rivalry into this League. And it rhymes with Rough Riders. Other suggestions are welcome.

Cheers !

KCargosfan
08-02-2012, 10:57 PM
Ottawa Ostriches? Orioles? O-faces?

Deerkeeper
08-02-2012, 11:19 PM
A name I got to like a bit when I was in Ottawa was the Lynx, the name of Ottawas long dead minor league baseball team (an Expos affiliate I do believe). I'm not sure who owns the rights to it but it might be worth looking at. However, I can just imagine the howls of ridicule from the anti CFL crowd "Oh, look at the CFL. Three teams named after cats. Haw Haw Haw." They would probably stoop to that. Another defunct team name with a football connection is the Ottawa Bootleggers, who played in an American amateur or semi pro league (can't remember) for a few years. I always called them the Bootlickers, so that name may not work.

Midnight Blue
08-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Ottawa Ostriches? Orioles? O-faces?

Not bad, but they don't rhyme with "Rough Riders".

Cheers !

A name I got to like a bit when I was in Ottawa was the Lynx, the name of Ottawas long dead minor league baseball team (an Expos affiliate I do believe). I'm not sure who owns the rights to it but it might be worth looking at. However, I can just imagine the howls of ridicule from the anti CFL crowd "Oh, look at the CFL. Three teams named after cats. Haw Haw Haw." They would probably stoop to that. Another defunct team name with a football connection is the Ottawa Bootleggers, who played in an American amateur or semi pro league (can't remember) for a few years. I always called them the Bootlickers, so that name may not work.

Lynx, doesn't rhyme with Rough Riders either, but I'm not the Grand Poobah of Ottawa naming suggestions. Actually Lynx is kinda cool. Ottawa "Cougars" might work too.

The Ottawa Cougar Grinders ... Ok, nevermind.

1argoholic
08-03-2012, 12:15 AM
I still like Beavers since it is our national animal. I know it doesn't rhyme. How about the Ottawa Smooth Gliders, because they would glide so smoothly down the river on logs.

Midnight Blue
08-03-2012, 12:45 AM
I still like Beavers since it is our national animal. I know it doesn't rhyme. How about the Ottawa Smooth Gliders, because they would glide so smoothly down the river on logs.

"Smooth Gliders" is a mouthful to say. Doesn't roll off the lips.

And "Beavers", would just invite, like, waaay to much humour.

We serriously need to elect a Grand Poobah of Ottawa naming names.

I recommend Ravi. He's sensible, intelligent, somewhat articulate, probably immaculately dressed (for a Niagara Wine Estate owner). He'd be perfect.

Gill The Thrill
08-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Stick with history, I know the Rough Riders name is out of the question, since when the league evolved, Ottawa and Saskatchewan were in two different leagues, but they can go back to the name of the club that Ottawa had in what was then known in the 1940's as the ORFU, Ontario Rugby Football Union. That name was the Ottawa Trojans, and they played from 1943-47 until merging with the Rough Riders in 1948.

The Ottawa Trojans has historical ties to the history of the game in Ottawa. I believe there may be a minor football team with that name now, but I'm sure they probably don't own a trademark, particularly for that name being used by a CFL pro team.

I know the immature ones will always look for something, such as Trojan being the name of a brand that makes prophylactics, but do you see the University of Southern California changing their name because of that.

Will
08-08-2012, 03:33 PM
A bit off topic, but delays to the construction of the new Gee Gees stadium near Lees Transit stop has resulted in the University of Ottawa having to explore the possibility of playing their home games at...gulp...Last Chance U!

ArgoRavi
08-08-2012, 03:35 PM
A bit off topic, but delays to the construction of the new Gee Gees stadium near Lees Transit stop has resulted in the University of Ottawa having to explore the possibility of playing their home games at...gulp...Last Chance U!

They are going to have to go all the way to Windsor to play their home games? ;)

Will
08-08-2012, 03:42 PM
They are going to have to go all the way to Windsor to play their home games? ;)

Striking a nerve, am I? ;)

Gill The Thrill
08-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Carlton is regarded as Last Chance U, I've heard Lakehead referred to as LastChance U....could be worse sayings.

Such as "if you walk and talk, then u can go to Brock" or my fav for academically overated York..."if you could hold a fork, you could go to York."

Bringing it back...I hope the Ottawa CFL team does resurrect the Trojans name.

LLB997
08-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Hope they stick with Renegades and adopt the old Rough Riders "R" on the helmets.

ArgoRavi
08-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Hope they stick with Renegades and adopt the old Rough Riders "R" on the helmets.

I like this idea a lot but the new owners have already said that they won't be going with the Renegades.

Will
08-09-2012, 10:48 AM
I like this idea a lot but the new owners have already said that they won't be going with the Renegades.

I don't think they should, too much "drama" associated with this name.

DanTheFan
08-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Carlton is regarded as Last Chance U, I've heard Lakehead referred to as LastChance U....could be worse sayings.

Such as "if you walk and talk, then u can go to Brock" or my fav for academically overated York..."if you could hold a fork, you could go to York."

Bringing it back...I hope the Ottawa CFL team does resurrect the Trojans name.

Ha!! It seems many Canadian schools seem to get the Last Chance U tag (I'm a Lakehead grad BTW). Living in Durham Region, I can tell you that UOIT got such a tag right from the get-go.

Will
08-09-2012, 07:03 PM
My alma mater, the University of Ottawa gets the "U of 0" label! It is deserved in certain fashions.

Midnight Blue
08-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Stick with history, I know the Rough Riders name is out of the question, since when the league evolved, Ottawa and Saskatchewan were in two different leagues, but they can go back to the name of the club that Ottawa had in what was then known in the 1940's as the ORFU, Ontario Rugby Football Union. That name was the Ottawa Trojans, and they played from 1943-47 until merging with the Rough Riders in 1948.

The Ottawa Trojans has historical ties to the history of the game in Ottawa. I believe there may be a minor football team with that name now, but I'm sure they probably don't own a trademark, particularly for that name being used by a CFL pro team.

I know the immature ones will always look for something, such as Trojan being the name of a brand that makes prophylactics, but do you see the University of Southern California changing their name because of that.

Ottawa Trojans is a great name! And I had no idea about the history behind it. Cool.

Besides, any serious Rough Rider, should wear a Trojan. Unless you're in a committed relationship.
(What, us immature?)

Cheers !

Gill The Thrill
08-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Ottawa Trojans is a great name! And I had no idea about the history behind it. Cool.

Besides, any serious Rough Rider, should wear a Trojan. Unless you're in a committed relationship.
(What, us immature?)

Cheers !Just think of the creative marketing that they could do by erecting billboards all over the city with a slogan like...Trojan football, going for it on 3rd and long, or Trojans, great for stretching defences, or closing the gap... etc... Now l'm giddy ...lol

Midnight Blue
08-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Just think of the creative marketing that they could do by erecting billboards all over the city with a slogan like...Trojan football, going for it on 3rd and long, or Trojans, great for stretching defences, or closing the gap... etc... Now l'm giddy ...lol

Here's Paris Hilton; third down, and inches to go....

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:cZ5a5b1GdoLhvM:http://reality_bytes.today.com/files/2009/01/paris_hilton99.jpg&t=1

Gill The Thrill
08-10-2012, 12:56 AM
Here's Paris Hilton; third down, and inches to go....

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:cZ5a5b1GdoLhvM:http://reality_bytes.today.com/files/2009/01/paris_hilton99.jpg&t=1That could be considered shot gun formation...or is it victory formation.

KCargosfan
08-10-2012, 01:45 AM
That could be considered shot gun formation...or is it victory formation.

Haha, good work Gill The Thrill

7dj83r8f78t4alf8