View Full Version : What's more important???

ArgoRedneck
08-02-2012, 09:44 AM
What is more important to the Argos from a business perspective? Fans in the seats or Fans living within in a 90 min drive to the game watching on TV. As a ST holder I want fans at the game. Better atmosphere before game and during, fans at home don't buy beer, hotdogs, pop, peanuts.....But when the Argos are on the road it sure is nice to watch in HD TV on my 70 incher, drink $2 beer, jump yell, and curse at will......

The Argos need to change their marketing to get the 25 to 35 year olds to the game. They have alot of disposable income and like to let loose. The Argos have to bring things more to the middle money wise with the price of concession stands, and the price of beer. Makes little sense that your beer/food bill costs more then ticket. I know the Argos don't set prices but they need a deal/place where they can. Revenue from parking and concession is alot. An empty seat doesn't come to the next game, buy hotdogs, pop, beer.

If the Argos are like other major sports they get more money from the TV deal then ticket sales.

When one watches one of those games from a outdoor football only stadium it sure looks more like me in my TV room when watching the Argos on the road then me at the game.

flafson
08-02-2012, 09:56 AM
If i were them, i'd open the 5th level and sell tickets there for like $5.

marcwagz
08-02-2012, 04:39 PM
parking costs way too much.
not worth it. rather park at yorkdale and take the subway.
i like the concessions
tickets are priced meh, i'd like to be able to actually see the game well for 30 bucks

The Argos need to change their marketing to get the 25 to 35 year olds to the game. They have alot of disposable income and like to let loose.

not in this day and age.

R.J
08-02-2012, 05:18 PM
IMO fans in the stands is more important, but they do go hand in hand.

If the Argos were "selling out" the Skydome at 31,074, they would be healthier and most likely profitable, and yet if the Argos and the league continue to average over 800K viewers every week = more league revenue coming in.

1argoholic
08-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Seems like everyone is tight with coin these days. Argos just don't control squat. They have to market better but other than that what can they do?

I sit at home for every game and drink some brown pops or vodka and I've been trying not to yell as much because my dogs leave and my wife (huge CFL fan) gets pissed with me. She likes to just sit and watch games without all of my drama. haha.

I stopped drinking the urine they call beer at stadiums anyhow.

ArgoRedneck
08-02-2012, 07:05 PM
parking costs way too much.
not worth it. rather park at yorkdale and take the subway.
i like the concessions
tickets are priced meh, i'd like to be able to actually see the game well for 30 bucks

not in this day and age.

What do you like about the concessions? In TO with that many 25 to 35 year olds, yes they have alot of disposable income. Check the stats, and the night life. What age do you think is out on the weekend spending money having fun? And lots of it. Where do you sit and enjoy the concessions for a total of $30 a game?

Invader
08-02-2012, 09:03 PM
The Argos get 8 cents from each fan watching their games on TV. But they average about $40 from each fan in the stadium. You do the math.

Midnight Blue
08-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Welcome aboard, ArgoRedneck !

I think part of the problem is, well, a lack of "hype".

Excitement ... buzz .. is (are) what I'm talkin' about.

As the team begins to win and get noticed, that may change (I hope).

Also, without getting into a "smoking/non-smoking" discussion (again), I think it is safe to say, that many (guys especially) in the 25-35 age group (and many of us over-Forty dudes), like to have a cig at half-time, since we've had a few pops before the game, and a couple in the first half. I have in the past, bought a ticket to the Skydome, and a second "cheap row" ticket, so that I could step out for one smoke at half-time. But I suspect many smokers just don't bother. Perhaps a $5 smoking pass would work, for half-time.
If anybody smokes, I think that guys in the 25-35yr. probably lead the way.
What I'm saying is, if say 15-20% of the general population smokes, then I think that it would be safe to say that at least 25-35% of the dudes (and maybe babes) in the 25-35 age group smoke.

Football, is unlike other sports. Football fans are unique.

Like Motor-racing, this sport attracts fans that are sometimes a bit wilder, a bit crazier, and a bit more reckless, in their lifestyles and fun-loving pursuits. Some of us smoke. We will not apologize for that. Let us step out for a cig at half-time.

This Sport also attracts fans that are new, and wanna be like "us crazies". Nothing wrong with that.
It will probably improve their lives in general, and their sex lives in particular. A noble cause. We are happy to contribute to the wickedness of this planet.

Anyway, if the beer is warm at the concession stand, refuse it, and try another stand nearby. Or when it's reasonably cold, just drink it (them) quickly, and come back for two more in the next quarter. Tape the game on your VCR/PVR or whatever at home, so you can watch it later in case you missed anything while getting beer, or to just watch the game again.

I also agree that the 500 level should be opened. If only for another experiment, and, well, it seems like the thing to do, in this Grey Cup season!

And I hope the Argos brass are reading this. They better be reading this site, at least.

Cheers !

And, Ka 'Pla !

Midnight

LLB997
08-02-2012, 10:14 PM
In this day and age, 25 to 35 yr olds have alot less disposable income than you think. I know friends and friends of friends who know countless people who are either underemployed, unemployed or in debt. My dad has it right when he says that "your generation doesn't have a pot to p@ss in" complete with thick euro accent.

Midnight Blue
08-02-2012, 10:27 PM
In this day and age, 25 to 35 yr olds have alot less disposable income than you think. I know friends and friends of friends who know countless people who are either underemployed, unemployed or in debt. My dad has it right when he says that "your generation doesn't have a pot to p@ss in" complete with thick euro accent.

I don't doubt that, and I'm not arguing your point, but still, Partiers gotta Party somewhere, and believe me, whether they're 25-35, or over Forty, they will find a way.

Many in those age groups may not be enjoying the "night-life" every day and/or night, but there are only nine home ganes a season (plus play-offs!), and one can always go for Pints after the game. If the Argos hope to attract at least a part of that/those age groups, they should be doing everything they can, to accomodate them.

Just my opinion.

Cheer O !

Argos
08-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Why is it so many young people smoke today? Or is it an Ontario thing? I went to high school (not locally) in the early 90s, a survey said 97 percent of our school's students didn't smoke, I knew a lot of people in high school and only knew one who smoked at all. I figured with the younger people growing up knowing the true risks, the generation after me would be near zero. But it's skyrocketed from what I see. I mean, people are free to do whatever (as long as its not impacting those around, hence public smoking bans), it just surprises me and I'm curious why the rates among young people have gone up.

So if I follow - there's no smoking doors at the dome? They don't allow you to go outside to smoke?

Midnight Blue
08-02-2012, 11:20 PM
Why is it so many young people smoke today? Or is it an Ontario thing? I went to high school (not locally) in the early 90s, a survey said 97 percent of our school's students didn't smoke, I knew a lot of people in high school and only knew one who smoked at all. I figured with the younger people growing up knowing the true risks, the generation after me would be near zero. But it's skyrocketed from what I see. I mean, people are free to do whatever (as long as its not impacting those around, hence public smoking bans), it just surprises me and I'm curious why the rates among young people have gone up.

So if I follow - there's no smoking doors at the dome? They don't allow you to go outside to smoke

Unless things have changed recently, there are no smoking doors/rooms at the Skydome, and one is not allowed to step out for a smoke. Now, I'm sure one can still buy two tickets (one "cheap" one), as I have done in the past (and I didn't mind spending a few extra bucks to support the team), but I suspect again, that many fans will just not bother, and watch at home. Also, I didn't smoke in high-school either (during the day), and I rarely smoke now during the day. Never during the day (unless I'm still hung-over, on weekends), never after lunch, or even rarely after dinner. But, after three or so beers, especially when I'm watching Football, or when we're up north, or in eastern Ontario, having a great car-camping weekend, under the Sun, and then under the other night-time Stars, it is different; howlin' at the moon, beers and Rum and Cokes, listening to great tunes (The Wolf 101.5 FM), and perhaps havin' a few puffs of the good stuff. Livin' life to the MAX !

Again, I don't want this thread to get into the merits/demerits of smoking. Everyone is free to do as they choose, the things they do for fun. But even if it gets a couple or three thousand new fans into the Dome (and me), it may be worth it to allow smokers a chance to step out at half-time. This shouldn't wreak havoc onto the "Family-friendly" atmoshere at the Dome. Besides, this "Family-friendly" atmoshere hasn't been selling enough tickets lately, it seems. Let some other real fans have a chance to stir things up again. Just my opinion.

Cheers !

flafson
08-03-2012, 02:55 AM

So if I follow - there's no smoking doors at the dome? They don't allow you to go outside to smoke?

I grew up in Israel, in high school about 20-30% were smoking and by the time they joined the army about 40-50% were smoking. Thankfully it went down a bit after army since smoking tends to be a social thing.

ArgoRedneck
08-03-2012, 08:34 AM
The Argos get 8 cents from each fan watching their games on TV. But they average about $40 from each fan in the stadium. You do the math.
Wrong.....

doubleblue
08-03-2012, 09:34 AM
I'm not a smoker so I can't identify with that. But to me and other Argo fans that I know from this area don't like the hassle of getting to the games and would rather sit at home and watch from the comfort of their easy chair.
I keep going because I want CFL football to continue in Toronto, but I would much rather take the easy way ( and cheaper ) out and watch from home also. IMO if the Argos had a stadium you could drive to and park like most places in Canada they would draw 30,000 plus like the good old days at exibition. But the poiticians thought they could make people go or come downtown, spend money and keep those nasty cars out. The people have spoken by staying away in droves and not just for the Argos.
The list is long of reasons people won't go to the games, (can't smoke, poor sight lines, rip off prices for junk food, not a winning team, not the NFL, too much noisy stupid music, annoying announcers, week night games, can't tail gate, can't afford it all for 10 times a year, don't know football from a hole in the ground). Somebody out there probably has another good reason that is important to them. Some of these complaints the Argos can't control, but IMO they are some of the reasons people aren't going to the game.

flafson
08-03-2012, 10:56 AM
I don't think parking has much to do with it, sure there is no direct parking but you have parking all over the area in 5 minute walking distance. I don't like to pay $20 for it though but do you know how much parking costs in Cowboys stadium? $75 per game and they have plenty of parking just for the stadium. One of the reasons i like to go to see a match is because Rogers Centre is a beauty to see from inside in person. I haven't been to many other stadiums but i'm pretty sure you see pretty well in most of the stadium. With the current group promotion going on that gives about 25% off on tickets, i think it makes it pretty decent price to go watch the game.
My only two concerns that would drive me away is that the commentators on tv are much better while sometimes in person you don't know what you're seeing because none is saying anything about it. The other thing that bothers me is that we lose alot, hopefully that portion will change this year.

AaronInToronto
08-03-2012, 12:03 PM
As an Argos STH I've had this discussion multiple times over with Argos Brass. While concession pricing is excessive, its the lack of 'Energy' in the building that is hurting us. Back in the early 90's there was a hype around every game. They were each 'events' where you wanted to be. Big name players, big name half-time acts. A game and concert in one. Our team is getting better, but the in-stands experience is horrible. We get a spattering of Canadian up and coming talent at half-time - Usually a boyband or rap artist. CFL fans just don't enjoy that crap. Our in-stand entertainers are also lacking. No offence to the guys as they are trying. We're simply missing the mark there. Also, why the hell do I drink out of a Blue Jays logo'd beer cup at an Argos game. For Pete's sake logo-up some plastic cups, provide ushers Argos caps and shirts. We feel like guests in our own home!!!

Where the Argos (and league) are ultimately misfiring is on the promotion of the team and the league. You see limited marketing around town. We'll never fill the seats if we're not reaching the audience. Perhaps even some $10 seats in the 500's will get a few people in the stadium.

There is so much opportunity to build this team. However, its going to take one big alarm clock to wake up the organization's leadership.

marcwagz
08-03-2012, 12:45 PM
What do you like about the concessions? In TO with that many 25 to 35 year olds, yes they have alot of disposable income. Check the stats, and the night life. What age do you think is out on the weekend spending money having fun? And lots of it. Where do you sit and enjoy the concessions for a total of $30 a game?
i only have to pay 12 bucks for a hot dog and pop with a refill
i dont need more than that during a game.

And a lot of young adults bankrupt themselves parting because they aren't smart.
One of my friends keeps blowing all his money at clubs, he makes decent money but lives in low-income housing paycheck to paycheck because of it.

Just because people are partying doesn't mean they have money, alot of them are actually broke.

Argos
08-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Yeah, by smoking doors, I was thinking one or two sets of doors to the outside where you can go outside and smoke. Not being a smoker, guess I never thought about it. As long as people don't smoke in the seats despite rules against it like I too often see in Hamilton, that's the only place I've seen that and I've kind of quit going to games there as a result.

Totally agree on stadium location. I like downtown arenas and ballparks (Coors Field/Safeco Field style, ones that integrate to downtown better than the dome). But football is about space, big parking lots, tailgating (even though it's never been my thing, many enjoy it), etc. Throw in the fact I don't see the club-going, downtown condo dwellers as big CFL fans (it's not trendy enough for one thing), you've got a fan base who largely is unfamiliar with downtown and is more comfortable in the suburbs. I've come across a lot of people who avoid it because it's downtown, even the people I go with grumble every game.

And the ushers, concessions, etc., wearing Jays stuff is way out of line. I've been to many games in shared venues - many were owned by one of the two teams like with the dome - and I've never come across that before. On the contrary, most venues go out of their way to make each team feel like the main tenant. The way I read it, the dome wants the Argos out and I have serious concerns the team is moving to the Maritimes after the season.

1argoholic
08-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Had seasons at CNE and moved to Skydome (Rogers) until moving in Oct of 02. I loved getting together before and after games with friends at various restaurants and bars. For the last number of years it was Badailis before we moved. The game became just another part of the whole nightly experience. I used to drive from Port Credit but parking and constant construction got me to take the Go Train. I'd take the 20 minute walk back and forth to the GO. Did most of my money spending on good food and booze before and after the game. I still think the Dome is in a great location. Not sure how I'll feel when we move to Peterborough area though. I won't be coming to every game that's for sure as both my wife and I will be starting from scratch work wise.

ArgoZ
08-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Guys, Globe and Mail parking lot is only 5 bucks on weeknights and holidays. It is only a 10 min walk to the dome. Plus, on the way back from the game you can check out the babes in skirts heading to C-lounge or whatever it is called now. You would have a hard time finding that kind of value in any city.

flafson
08-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Guys, Globe and Mail parking lot is only 5 bucks on weeknights and holidays. It is only a 10 min walk to the dome. Plus, on the way back from the game you can check out the babes in skirts heading to C-lounge or whatever it is called now. You would have a hard time finding that kind of value in any city.

Is it the one on 444 Front St. W? Are you sure it's open today and is $5?

Gill The Thrill
08-07-2012, 02:27 AM
Guys, Globe and Mail parking lot is only 5 bucks on weeknights and holidays. It is only a 10 min walk to the dome. Plus, on the way back from the game you can check out the babes in skirts heading to C-lounge or whatever it is called now. You would have a hard time finding that kind of value in any city.:shhhh:Shhhh:shhhh:That's my favourite spot, don't tell anybody. Keep it a secret.:shhhh:

flafson
08-07-2012, 03:10 AM
The parking in Globe and Mail seem to be private and i tried to continue a bit and there was a lot for $10 where i parked, is this the place you guys were talking about? I think the address there is 510 Front St W.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8