PDA

View Full Version : What made Mike Pringle so good?

KCargosfan
08-02-2012, 10:58 PM
Looking at his history, dude had some awesome seasons. What made him so good?

argolio
08-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Like most (all?) other successful players, he had a certain level of talent, he played on teams that were usually good, he stayed healthy, and he was motivated.

KCargosfan
08-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Like most (all?) other successful players, he had a certain level of talent, he played on teams that were usually good, he stayed healthy, and he was motivated.

The amount of production he put up after the age of 32 is quite impressive, especially for a running back.

1argoholic
08-03-2012, 05:01 PM
He was built very solid and played on good teams.

AngeloV
08-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Well, in his years in Baltimore and Montreal, he definitely had the best O-line in the league blocking for him. He was a very good runner, but a one dimensional back, and not the best in league history..at least not IMO. As a pure runner goes, I'd take Willard Reaves over him.

Gill The Thrill
08-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Well, in his years in Baltimore and Montreal, he definitely had the best O-line in the league blocking for him. He was a very good runner, but a one dimensional back, and not the best in league history..at least not IMO. As a pure runner goes, I'd take Willard Reaves over him.

I'd also take Gill Fenerty over him also...both Reaves and Fenerty went to the NFL after some great seasons in the CFL. Pringle failed to make an impact with the Eskimos prior to Baltimore joining the league. He was also a Denver Broncos property who at most might of got in a game or 2 but never played a full year...I'm pretty sure I remember him dressed in a Bronco jersey, but for all I know it may have been a pre-season game.

Speaking of Gill Fenerty, one of the sure signs that told me Don Matthews was going senile on his last stint as head coach for the Argos after they'd fired Rich Stubler was when he referred to himself as having picked "Pinball" Clemons and choosing him while cutting Fenerty in his press conference...I was miffed, that he would revise history, as I was more than sure that "Pinball" was brought in early in 1989, and played with Fenerty that season under Bob O'Billovich. Fenerty was in his 3rd and final year in the CFL and would finally gain over 1000 yds in 1989, which he would have done in '88 had he not broken his leg. Fenerty, as I'm sure most who followed the Argos at that time would know, was not cut by the club as he ended up signing with the New Orleans Saints following that '89 season.

I guess when you sign and cut as many players as "the Don" has over the decades, you could be forgiven for fudging the facts.

ArgoGabe22
08-08-2012, 05:49 PM
I don't agree with this but some say Lawrence Phillips was the best runner, well at least according to Don Mattews who coached Pringle.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8