PDA

View Full Version : Another ex-Stamp arrested

Gill The Thrill
08-10-2012, 12:08 AM
For the 2nd time in the last 3 weeks an ex-Stampeder has been arrested and charged by Calgary Police. Fred Childress has been charged with assault with a weapon and assault causing bodily harm. Not many details but I remember he was one of the biggest guys in the league.

Not that any trouble is good news, but I hope that this guy has done something constructive since leaving football. In other words I hope he's not just a bouncer in some Calgary club and still living off his rep as an ex-pro football player...unfortunately some ex-players fall into that trap. I know it's a job and it pays the bills, but the lifestyle could also lend itself to having to deal with younger guys who may be liquered up while challenging you because they think they're going to live forever. This is pure speculation on my part, but the lack of details and the charges do coincide with someone who may be in that line of work.

I guess will have to wait to hear more details.

http://www.qr77.com/News/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1753891

ArgoGabe22
08-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Never heard of him tbh

gilthethrill
08-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Never heard of him tbh

Fred "The Big Chill" Childress was a CFL all-star on more than 1 occasion in the past decade. I believe he began his foray in the CFL protecting Matt Dunnigan in Birmingham.

ArgoRavi
08-10-2012, 12:19 PM
For the 2nd time in the last 3 weeks an ex-Stampeder has been arrested and charged by Calgary Police. Fred Childress has been charged with assault with a weapon and assault causing bodily harm. Not many details but I remember he was one of the biggest guys in the league.

Not that any trouble is good news, but I hope that this guy has done something constructive since leaving football. In other words I hope he's not just a bouncer in some Calgary club and still living off his rep as an ex-pro football player...unfortunately some ex-players fall into that trap. I know it's a job and it pays the bills, but the lifestyle could also lend itself to having to deal with younger guys who may be liquered up while challenging you because they think they're going to live forever. This is pure speculation on my part, but the lack of details and the charges do coincide with someone who may be in that line of work.

I guess will have to wait to hear more details.

http://www.qr77.com/News/Local/Story.aspx?ID=1753891

I am far from certain about this but I seem to recall that Childress was working in the oil business.

AngeloV
08-10-2012, 12:29 PM
I am far from certain about this but I seem to recall that Childress was working in the oil business.

Makes sense, Ravi. Somehow I doubt that an American would stay in Canada to bounce at clubs. He can easily do the same thing States side, where it is considerably less expensive to live.

1argoholic
08-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Holy crap another huge named ex CFLer doing stupid crap. This was a huge man and very well known player.

1argoholic
08-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Holy crap another huge named ex CFLer doing stupid crap. This was a huge man and very well known player. Just read a Calgary Herald article and it was on a youth and the weapon was his belt. My guess is his kid. I'm old enough to remember getting spanked and the belt and or ruler over my hands by the principle. Funny how back then we didn't have little farts running wild on the streets in gangs. All you needed was one smack on the hands and you somehow didn't act up again.

Gill The Thrill
08-10-2012, 08:51 PM
This same type of situation happened to former Argo, BC Lion and one-time CFL on CBC commentator James Curry who was also charged for giving his young teenage son a whipping in California about a decade ago.

argolio
08-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Depends which Romans you're talking about.

Yolow
08-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Fred is a crack cocaine user with a drinking & gambling problem. My ex husband played football with him for many years & unfortunately my ex had the same issues & they hung out together. Surprisingly their behavior did not appear to hinder their ability to play great football. I agree these men were great football players but having spent time with Fred & seeing how he acts when he is intoxicated is extremely frightening!
I side with the youth in this case & I hope that it wasn't his daughter! Dear lord help her! She had every right to have the police involved.
What people don't understand about assault; both physical & sexual is that the victim feels guilt about exposing the abuse. It is very difficult for a victim to stand up for themselves & ask/call for help. In most cases their is a history of abuse; not a solo incident. The police use their history to also determine arrest. Trust me the police do not go around arresting people for spanking or attempting to spank children.
So from all of this I want to send a message to the victim of this assault:
Thumbs up from me! Keep your head up & stay strong! You did the right thing by calling for help because if I was in your shoes I would have done the same!

1argoholic
08-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Well that might shed some light. I'm not into abuse of drugs, alcohol, children or women. Or in the rare case men getting abused. I had a buddy who had a verbally abusive girlfriend back in the day. No need for any of it. The things you don't see as a fan. Perhaps this runs deeper than treating to or spanking your kid. Between this and Renolds I have no clue what these clowns are up to.
Yolow how did you just happen to stumble onto this forum?
I can relate on a small scale having been verbally abused by my inlaws in my own kitchen over two years ago. I want zero to do with them ever again. Hardest thing was thinking about my wife and not telling both right off. They're supposed to be in our area soon and it makes me feel sick.
I 've never been able to understand how you can treat someone you care about like shite. I guess it's something missing in that own persons makeup for lack of better explaination.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8