View Full Version : Like the Rouge, is it fair to evaluate "The Trade"?

argotom
08-11-2012, 09:23 PM
We are at the one third mark into the season, so would it be fair to evaluate the Ricky Ray trade as does the Rouge ask in their article?
Who here would do it again with hindsight being what it is?
For me the jury is still out and I am not down on Ray, as his up side is still fantastic.
Unfortuantely the games that we have lost Ricky has been no other way to say it just awful.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=402896

1argoholic
08-11-2012, 11:04 PM
It's always fair but I knew we'd have serious growing pains as it's a whole new team for him and many new players in double blue. I still think we lack a typical go to star receiver although Owens is coming along. I think we could do more with our play calling but it's too much to ask having us in the Grey Cup this year but one never knows.

ArgoRavi
08-12-2012, 12:32 AM
We are at the one third mark into the season, so would it be fair to evaluate the Ricky Ray trade as does the Rouge ask in their article?
Who here would do it again with hindsight being what it is?
For me the jury is still out and I am not down on Ray, as his up side is still fantastic.
Unfortuantely the games that we have lost Ricky has been no other way to say it just awful.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=402896

Ray didn't have a great game against B.C. but he really wasn't that bad in either Hamilton or Edmonton which are both games that we should have won.

argotom
08-12-2012, 12:09 PM
It is ironic that this weekend Jyles had his best game while Ricky had his worst?

Will
08-12-2012, 02:44 PM
I was thinking that myself argotom. It's interesting the timing of this article, though perhaps the fact it is 1/3'rd of the way through the season was also a factor.

argolio
08-14-2012, 01:13 AM
I am now convinced that no present or future Argo QB will ever satisfy argotom.

Will
08-14-2012, 10:07 AM
I am now convinced that no present or future Argo QB will ever satisfy argotom.

You are probably right.

jerrym
08-14-2012, 05:07 PM
The leading Edmonton receiver, Fred Stamps (a perennial top receiver), is 16th in receiving, which suggests getting Ray was a great deal for the Argos, especially when we now have the 3rd (Owens), 5th (Durie) and 14th (Inman - a rookie) leading receivers. However, the Eskimos are 4 and 2 and we are 3 and 3. Toronto has become a pass-oriented team that, with the loss of Boyd, does not have a top rb to offset teams blitzing Ray. The trade also enabled Edmonton to spend money not spent on Ray on other positions and not blink at picking up Boyd. Furthermore, the addition of Boyd to Edmonton, because he no longer fits the Argos system, should help Edmonton, even early on because he is already use to Jyles. Shaw has been very good and Edmonton also benefits long-term from the first round draft choice obtained in the trade. While both teams benefitted from the trade, I would argue that the unforseen consequence of the move of Boyd to Edmonton (which I don't think would have happened if Jyles would have stayed as the Argo qb simply because his passing would have made the Argo more run-dependent) gives Edmonton the biggest advantage at this point.

argotom
08-14-2012, 05:29 PM
You are probably right.

I saw the article and am asking the right question, which definitely needs to be asked.
Especially after the one third mark!
As for our QB situation, you guys must be in the dark or perhaps I am as we have had a litany of decent QB's here?
A literal QB factory?
I have not thrown Ray under the bus, but the history and lack of developing QB's has been our achilles heel.
Heck I cannot recall anyone better then Flutie for the brief time and to a degree Damon Allen and that's the last 15 years.
Both were not developed and were acquired.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8