PDA

View Full Version : Smiling Hank Is Out Of Calgary

Area 51
01-03-2012, 01:53 AM
Looks like Calgary has finally rid themselves of Smilin Hank. Sure didn't get much in return. A mediocre QB and a back up Canadian. Wait a minute - - that sounds a lot like what Edmonton took for Ricky Ray.

bluto
01-03-2012, 08:25 AM
http://www.argofans.com/showthread.php?94-Report-Burris-to-be-traded-to-Hamilton-this-week&p=538#post538

1argoholic
01-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Well As Calgary is my wife's team and my number two team I cheered for Hank. Now he's officially dead to me.

Poor Hank won't be smilin much having to play in Hambone. At least he can live in Burlington.

AngeloV
01-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Looks like Calgary has finally rid themselves of Smilin Hank. Sure didn't get much in return. A mediocre QB and a back up Canadian. Wait a minute - - that sounds a lot like what Edmonton took for Ricky Ray.

Of course the difference being Hank was replaced mid season as the starter in Calgary, while Ray was still expected to be Edmonton's starter for years to come. Tillman could have got more for Ray as nobody knew he was available. I think considering everyone knew that Burris was going to be cut before his bonus at the end of January, Hufnagel did a good job getting anything for him.

argotom
01-03-2012, 09:34 PM
I guess the gunslingers have moved out east now.
If Hank has something left in the tank, this could be quite a year for the eastern clubs, with a star at the QB position even though the jury is still out for Pearce in the Peg.

KCargosfan
01-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Still be interesting to see what we do for backup QB? I can't imagine Bell being back, so do we go get somebody with experience or bring in an NFL castoff.

gilthethrill
01-04-2012, 08:44 AM
I don't understand why Hamilton would make this big move without a HC. What if the new coach is not a fan of Burris? I sense trouble for Hamilton in 2012.

bluto
01-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I don't understand why Hamilton would make this big move without a HC. What if the new coach is not a fan of Burris? I sense trouble for Hamilton in 2012.

which leads me to believe that the HC move is a fait accompli. it would be a very foolish move for Obie otherwise... but then again... this is the CFL...

ArgoRavi
01-04-2012, 12:29 PM

I think that the Hamilton job is George Cortez's if he wants it and he and Burris have an extensive work history together.

1argoholic
01-04-2012, 04:40 PM
What's Porter think?

gilthethrill
01-04-2012, 05:00 PM
I think that the Hamilton job is George Cortez's if he wants it and he and Burris have an extensive work history together.

I just don't see Cortez leaving the NFL, or Buffalo. Fitzpatrick, or whoever the Bills qb is, had a good year, I don't see Gailey getting fired & Cortez waited along time to get into an NFL coaching job. Hey, what does " fait acompli" mean anyway???

ArgoRavi
01-04-2012, 05:45 PM
I just don't see Cortez leaving the NFL, or Buffalo. Fitzpatrick, or whoever the Bills qb is, had a good year, I don't see Gailey getting fired & Cortez waited along time to get into an NFL coaching job. Hey, what does " fait acompli" mean anyway???

Someone mentioned on another forum that reports out of Buffalo suggest that Cortez may not have any choice about leaving the Bills. Fitzpatrick started the year off well but faded badly after the Toronto game. After a 6-10 season, including a 1-8 finish, there will likely have to be some changes at least to the Bills coaching staff and Cortez may be one of the victims.

bluto
01-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Someone mentioned on another forum that reports out of Buffalo suggest that Cortez may not have any choice about leaving the Bills. Fitzpatrick started the year off well but faded badly after the Toronto game. After a 6-10 season, including a 1-8 finish, there will likely have to be some changes at least to the Bills coaching staff and Cortez may be one of the victims.

Lefko is tweeting this afternoon that Winnipeg DC Tim Burke has signed on as Hamilton's new HC... if so, this can only be good for the Argos:
a) a brand new HC and the upheaval that comes with that in one divisional rival...
b) a top-level coordinator poached from another divisional rival

(i'll hold off on starting a thread on this in the CFL forum until the story gets confirmed... no diss intended, Perry)

ArgoRavi
01-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Lefko is tweeting this afternoon that Winnipeg DC Tim Burke has signed on as Hamilton's new HC... if so, this can only be good for the Argos:
a) a brand new HC and the upheaval that comes with that in one divisional rival...
b) a top-level coordinator poached from another divisional rival

(i'll hold off on starting a thread on this in the CFL forum until the story gets confirmed... no diss intended, Perry)

On top of all of that, we have Winnipeg and Hamilton both behind in the search for offensive and defensive coordinators. If I were a Bomber fan, I would be especially worried about where my team is headed given the very poor second half of the season that they had, a declining Buck Pierce that they seem to be relying upon, and that they are in need of both an offensive coordinator and likely a defensive coordinator with most of the big names off the market.

Ron
01-04-2012, 11:06 PM

That leaves only Montreal without the upheaval that comes with that in the division.

Area 51
01-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Still be interesting to see what we do for backup QB? I can't imagine Bell being back, so do we go get somebody with experience or bring in an NFL castoff.

I'd be happy to see them pick up whoever ends up being the odd man out in Winnipeg between Brink or Elliot. Maybe even Broke Back Buck if he's willing to settle for back up money.

1argoholic
01-05-2012, 12:30 AM
I'd be happy with Elliot. He has shown some good signs.

argolio
01-05-2012, 01:04 AM
Ticat big-shot Scott Mitchell was on PrimeTime Wednesday. He didn't reveal much but it sounded as if Cortez would not be the guy. He said an announcement on the new coach will be made in the next week.

paulwoods13
01-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I'd be happy with Elliot. He has shown some good signs.

I'll be stunned if the Bombers let Elliott walk. In fact, I think if they drop one of their three main incumbents, Pierce is the most likely to go. The other two guys both look like CFL QBs to me.

ArgoRavi
01-05-2012, 12:27 PM
I'll be stunned if the Bombers let Elliott walk. In fact, I think if they drop one of their three main incumbents, Peirce is the most likely to go. The other two guys both look like CFL QBs to me.

I totally agree with you, Paul. I hope that they are foolish enough to give Pierce the big money he is looking for and let one of the others walk because I doubt that both Elliott and Brink will stick around behind Pierce. If one of those other QBs become free, I would love to see the Argos grab him.

gilthethrill
01-05-2012, 01:35 PM
What about current #3 qb in Montreal, Ricky Santos? Milanovich knows him. Is he slated to become a FA in Feb? I suppose a lot depends on if McPherson departs Montreal. Does anyone think Bell will even get an invite to TC?

bluto
01-05-2012, 02:47 PM
I totally agree with you, Paul. I hope that they are foolish enough to give Pierce the big money he is looking for and let one of the others walk because I doubt that both Elliott and Brink will stick around behind Pierce. If one of those other QBs become free, I would love to see the Argos grab him.

if for no other reason than to hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth over the latest proof in the great conspiracy of 2012 from the West...

argotom
01-05-2012, 04:09 PM
It's being reported how Tim Burke is the next Cats HC and with a possible announcement tomorrow.

paulwoods13
01-05-2012, 04:21 PM
What about current #3 qb in Montreal, Ricky Santos? Milanovich knows him. Is he slated to become a FA in Feb? I suppose a lot depends on if McPherson departs Montreal. Does anyone think Bell will even get an invite to TC?

Santos didn't look too impressive with Winnipeg a couple of years ago, but now that he's been in the Mtl system, he may have developed into a guy with decent potential. But I'd take either Elliott or Brink (in that order) over him. I also would not rule out seeing Dalton Bell brought back to camp. He looked terrible last season but the offence he was working in was terrible, and Milanovich may believe he still has potential, especially since Bell sees himself as a Ricky Ray-type QB.

argotom
01-05-2012, 05:07 PM
I agree with you how Bell has to be done with the team.
How about bringing in Zabranski since he worked under Ray in Edmonton?

ArgoRavi
01-05-2012, 07:17 PM

Bell strikes me as the type of QB that Milanovich would like to work with. Zabransky is done in this league IMO. Chris Schultz alluded to Zabransky being a problem in the Edmonton dressing room so I suspect that he is one of the last people that Ray would want to see in Toronto. He also showed little ability to throw the football when he got some significant playing time in 2010 for the Esks so it is probably best to pass on him. I would stick with Bell for sure over picking up Zabransky.

argotom
01-05-2012, 07:22 PM
I suspect how Scott may have other possibilites for backups.
Regardless, with Ray a fixture for several years this may be just the right time to bring in some raw rookies to be developed and which is something surely lacking for many years by the team.

Will
01-06-2012, 05:47 PM

Still fixated on Zabransky are we? I don't know if he's any better than Bell.

argofandave
01-07-2012, 02:17 PM
It's being reported how Tim Burke is the next Cats HC and with a possible announcement tomorrow.
I just got an email from the Ticats (I'm a season ticket holder) stating that they have hired George Cortez as their new head coach.

Argos4Life
01-07-2012, 04:23 PM
The Burris - Glenn trade is pretty much a wash for both teams as I see it. Neither of them at this stage of their careers should make much of an impact to their new teams.

The hiring of George Cortez as head coach in Hamilton however should have a huge impact there. Thats the move that concerns me the most as an Argo fan. The east should be very interesting this coming season, can't wait!

Will
01-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Glenn isn't going to be the starter in Calgary. He gives them a quality backup to Drew Tate.

Hamilton's situation is different because Burris is projected to be their starter. While Porter can fill in I am not sure if he's there yet if Burris gets injured or struggles.

ArgoRavi
01-07-2012, 05:18 PM
The Burris - Glenn trade is pretty much a wash for both teams as I see it. Neither of them at this stage of their careers should make much of an impact to their new teams.

The hiring of George Cortez as head coach in Hamilton however should have a huge impact there. Thats the move that concerns me the most as an Argo fan. The east should be very interesting this coming season, can't wait!

The Ticats clearly had Cortez at the top of their list IMO. Reports had him demanding a healthy salary along with a lot of control in the Ticat organization and I am guessing that he got both. I think that he was the best candidate out of the names that were reported and he should be a great fit with Henry Burris. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see a Hamilton/Toronto East Final at a full SkyDome in November?

AngeloV
01-07-2012, 05:36 PM
The Ticats clearly had Cortez at the top of their list IMO. Reports had him demanding a healthy salary along with a lot of control in the Ticat organization and I am guessing that he got both.

I have my doubts about the reports of what Cortez wanted Ravi. I think is was pure media speculation/rumour. Cortez is 60 years old. I don't think he was going to get much above position coach in the NFL now.

Area 51
01-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Still fixated on Zabransky are we? I don't know if he's any better than Bell.

The one thing you absolutely CANNOT do as a football player is being afraid. And Bell looked terrified standing in the pocket during the last half of the year. So for that reason alone, Bell has to be finished here.

I don't know about Zabransky's bad attitude, but he one thing I can say is that he was never scared or had an ounce of self doubt. That mght have contributed to his release from the CFL, but it's the first quality you need in a QB.

Based only on performance only, I have zero doubt that Zabransky is far superior than Bell. But the last thing they need is a distraction in the locker room, be it a bad attitude or other.

Glenn isn't going to be the starter in Calgary. He gives them a quality backup to Drew Tate.

That's assuming Glenn is willing to accept holding the clip board. He made his displeasure well known about losing time to Porter. I wonder if he'll be any happier as the back up to Tate than Hank was.

Irionically enough, the two biggest crybaby QBs in the CFL got traded for each other.

Will
01-08-2012, 09:55 AM
The one thing you absolutely CANNOT do as a football player is being afraid. And Bell looked terrified standing in the pocket during the last half of the year. So for that reason alone, Bell has to be finished here.

I don't know about Zabransky's bad attitude, but he one thing I can say is that he was never scared or had an ounce of self doubt. That mght have contributed to his release from the CFL, but it's the first quality you need in a QB.

Based only on performance only, I have zero doubt that Zabransky is far superior than Bell. But the last thing they need is a distraction in the locker room, be it a bad attitude or other.

Dalton Bell's 2011 performance:

http://www.cfl.ca/roster/show/id/2060

i (http://www.cfl.ca/roster/show/id/2060)s pretty darned similar to Jared Zabransky's 2010 performance:

http://www.cfl.ca/roster/show/id/2401

Padre29
01-08-2012, 10:10 AM
I suspect how Scott may have other possibilites for backups.
Regardless, with Ray a fixture for several years this may be just the right time to bring in some raw rookies to be developed and which is something surely lacking for many years by the team.

Exactly, the time to add young Qb's to develop is when you don't need them to play quickly, this is one of the things Wally Buono has done so well over the yrs, when it is time for next man up with BC their backup has been there for yrs and knows the offense and the CFL game.

As for Zabransky, not directed at you btw, his problem as a Qb is he is just to inaccurate throwing the football, when you look at a good Qb you have to see that completion percentage around 60% or higher, you also have to see that yards per attempt over 7 ypa, the higher the better.

That is where Cleo Lemon fell down, this is not a dink and dunk league, Cleo was a dink and dunk passer.

paulwoods13
01-08-2012, 11:16 AM

Where was this reported, Argotom? This is a good illustration why citing sources makes posts more credible.

Will
01-08-2012, 11:55 AM
That's assuming Glenn is willing to accept holding the clip board. He made his displeasure well known about losing time to Porter. I wonder if he'll be any happier as the back up to Tate than Hank was.

Irionically enough, the two biggest crybaby QBs in the CFL got traded for each other.

The solution is simple. Play at a level that convinces your coach that you deserve to be the #1 QB. Glenn may still get an opportunity as who knows how Tate will perform in his first season as the starter. Burris will be the #1 going into training camp, but with Porter he'll be on a short leash. He did have his biggest successes when Cortez was O.C. in Calgary so maybe (I hope not) he'll rebound.

argotom
01-08-2012, 06:19 PM
Dave Naylor of TSN.

ArgoRavi
01-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Dave Naylor of TSN.

Naylor has picked the perfect time to go on vacation.

bluto
01-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Naylor has picked the perfect time to go on vacation.

is that where he is? i figured he was laying low after chucking that dud grenade last week... (a bit like Rider/Bomber posters' online status after losses...)

i was very suspect of the story about Cortez demanding to be in charge of player personnel or else he wouldn't accept the HC job also... just sounded weird. who takes a call from a GM and says, "yeah... i could see myself coaching for you... but only if i get to do most of your job while i'm coaching". interesting interview tactic, imo.

paulwoods13
01-10-2012, 06:38 AM
OK. Next time, rather than write "it's being reported that . . . ," why not write "Naylor (or whoever) is reporting" so that we can all judge for ourselves how valid the report might be?

Argocister
01-11-2012, 03:13 PM
OK. Next time, rather than write "it's being reported that . . . ," why not write "Naylor (or whoever) is reporting" so that we can all judge for ourselves how valid the report might be?

That may go for Lefko as well. ....write "lefko is reporting... " He has provided some tidbits of info that are almost opposite from what happens in reality.

paulwoods13
01-11-2012, 07:29 PM
That may go for Lefko as well. ....write "lefko is reporting... " He has provided some tidbits of info that are almost opposite from what happens in reality.

It is a good thing to do when posting what ANY source has reported, not just Naylor or Lefko. It drives me nuts when posters write things like "it's being reported . . . " without citing an actual source, because it could mean anything from "It's being reported by the New York Times' Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter so-and-so" to "It's being alleged on cfl.com by FootballYouBet" -- and there is considerable difference between such sources, obviously.

AngeloV
01-11-2012, 07:29 PM

That's what you get when a station hires a horse racing writer to cover football.

argolio
01-12-2012, 12:07 AM
That's what you get when a station hires a horse racing writer to cover football.Now you've done it -- he'll come on here soon and yell at you.

Ron
01-12-2012, 03:33 AM
These other so-called reporters really needed Marty York. When York was around the bar appeared to be so low that guys like Lefko appeared credible.

KCargosfan
01-12-2012, 07:42 PM
That's what you get when a station hires a horse racing writer to cover football.

Zing! haha

These other so-called reporters really needed Marty York. When York was around the bar appeared to be so low that guys like Lefko appeared credible.
I have no clue who Marty York is but that is pretty funny.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8