08-12-2012, 12:12 PM
I don't believe it.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/argonauts-release-rb-cory-boyd

RICKEARS
08-12-2012, 12:21 PM
WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW this sucks

Wobbler
08-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Pretty startling move. Obviously there will be much more to come on this story but whatever the motivation for his release, it apparently made him untradeable.

bluto
08-12-2012, 12:28 PM
what the actual ____ is going on here? if anyone has the scoop on this, please PM it to me...

Wobbler
08-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Among other things, I think this is a statement that our 2012 O-Line is not going to be fixable to become the traditional run-blocking unit that Boyd needs. I guess we've decided to save the payroll and use an outside runner like Kackert. And even though he certainly seems to have trade value, most of the league seems pretty happy with its run game right now. Winnipeg isn't getting many yards on the ground, but that isn't Simpson's fault. Maybe everyone passed.

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 12:30 PM
He was making too much money to be traded. What is surprising to me is that we let go of Riggs. If this decision was a long time in the making, sure was not a lot of effort put in his replacement.

bluto
08-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Among other things, I think this is a statement that our 2012 O-Line is not going to be fixable to become the traditional run-blocking unit that Boyd needs. I guess we've decided to save the payroll and use an outside runner like Kackert.

if that were true, we'd have traded him. he has a very manageable contract and plenty of mileage left in him. the fact that we outright released him says that something made it impossible to deal him...

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 12:31 PM
#1 role of a RB in a Trestovich offense is BLOCKING... There was nothing wrong with his yard production.

bluto
08-12-2012, 12:32 PM
He was making too much money to be traded. What is surprising to me is that we let go of Riggs. If this decision was a long time in the making, sure was not a lot of effort put in his replacement.

i don't buy that at all. recall that he negotiated his own deal after his rookie year and got less $ than many of us thought he could command. i remember the precise figures... it wasn't so much for a star RB at all.

DanTheFan
08-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Sweet fancy Moses..... did not see that coming. Guess it frees up some dough for other things, and his role is slightly diminished this year, but still rather upsetting to me.

ArgoZ
Darn it, I just dropped $200 on a Boyd jersey last game. Talk about bad timing. When looking at players available, I thought he was a lock. Argos should exchange our jersey's, LOL. What a story this will be...

Wobbler
Boyd's salary was actually pretty reasonable (~100K if I remember correctly).

Yeah. He was on the second year of a three year extension that paid "just below six figures" (http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2011/03/20/argos_boyd/).

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Darn it, I just dropped $200 on a Boyd jersey last game. Talk about bad timing. When looking at players available, I thought he was a lock. Argos should exchange our jersey's, LOL. What a story this will be...

They should at least offer to re-stich it for you.

Boyd's salary was actually pretty reasonable (~100K if I remember correctly).

That makes him the second highest paid RB in the league right now behind Cobourne, who is likely to be released soon as well.

argotom
08-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Was he a problem in the dressing room or with coaches?

DanTheFan
08-12-2012, 12:41 PM

Yeah I was gonna comment on jersey sales. Moves like this might make fans hesitant to buy them. Boy am I scratching my head over this. Is it at all possible he has some NFL interest?

matchuk
08-12-2012, 12:41 PM
i couldnt believe it when i saw it....is it april 1st?....something bad must have happened for the league rushing leader to be released....wtf is going on argos? imo he, as well as owens, are the faces of the franchise

ArgoZ
08-12-2012, 12:44 PM
You could tell he was frustrated at how he was used and last game I could see he was flipping out at the O-line, particulary Wayne Smith, for missing blocks. I bet he did/said something due to his temper/emotions that he can't control.

matchuk
08-12-2012, 12:47 PM
You could tell he was frustrated at how he was used and last game I could see he was flipping out at the O-line, particulary Wayne Smith, for missing blocks. I bet he did/said something due to his temper/emotions that he can't control.

jon cornish called out his o-line too a few weeks back...after that, they blocked well enough for him to earn 170 yards on the ground the next week!

bigzee19
08-12-2012, 12:48 PM
We are all going to start speculating and this point just as I have been for the last few mins. When I called my dad he told me and the first thing I said is maybe he blew up on the coaches or the team. You can tell he wasnt happy the past few weeks on the field just by his demeanour and also the way he was talking (arguing) with team-mates.

I think Cory wants the ball more then we will ever give it to him and that just isnt ok with him. I am sure we will find out soon enough.

Speaking of Avon he would fit right in here but would cost way to much.

Something is just to strange here......

Wobbler
08-12-2012, 12:51 PM
That makes him the second highest paid RB in the league right now behind Cobourne, who is likely to be released soon as well.
That's a good point; almost everyone is using a 1st year RB probably making <$70K (or a non-import like Harris and Cornish, who obviously aren't going anywhere). Still, having to pay an extra $20-30K to a RB probably isn't a huge disincentive. The bigger obstacle is that no one is really looking for a RB right now. I wonder if it might have made more sense to hold off for a while, waiting to see if a need develops.

What's the rule regarding vets getting their entire salary if they are released after the midpoint of the season? I remember that was one of the reasons Steinhauer was released, back in the day. Boyd, who has only been the league for 3 years, wouldn't qualify for that would he?

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 12:52 PM
No worries. Jim Barker will spill the beans. He always does LOL !

ArgoZ
08-12-2012, 12:53 PM
We are all going to start speculating and this point just as I have been for the last few mins. When I called my dad he told me and the first thing I said is maybe he blew up on the coaches or the team. You can tell he wasnt happy the past few weeks on the field just by his demeanour and also the way he was talking (arguing) with team-mates.

I think Cory wants the ball more then we will ever give it to him and that just isnt ok with him. I am sure we will find out soon enough.

Speaking of Avon he would fit right in here but would cost way to much.

Something is just to strange here......

Yes, we are speculating, but it's not strange that we have all seen the same things. You just know he did something stupid. Should have got Durie on my jersey. This is crazy.

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 12:55 PM
That's a good point; almost everyone is using a 1st year RB probably making <$70K (or a non-import like Harris and Cornish, who obviously aren't going anywhere). Still, having to pay an extra $20-30K to a RB probably isn't a huge disincentive. The bigger obstacle is that no one is really looking for a RB right now. I wonder if it might have made more sense to hold off for a while, waiting to see if a need develops.

What's the rule regarding vets getting their entire salary if they are released after the midpoint of the season? I remember that was one of the reasons Steinhauer was released, back in the day. Boyd, who has only been the league for 3 years, wouldn't qualify for that would he?

This is not a salary dump from the Argos but at the same time no team is going to trade for a 100k RB. Your still giving up something for a guy that is going to be released and few teams have a need for.

bigzee19
08-12-2012, 01:03 PM
I guess no one is safe of the team then!!

Wobbler
08-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Your still giving up something for a guy that is going to be released and few teams have a need for.
Unless our organization is completely clueless, it would not have been obvious that Boyd was going to be released when trade options were being explored. It's not like he had a public blow-up, Bruce/Andrus style.

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 01:12 PM
Unless our organization is completely clueless, it would not have been obvious that Boyd was going to be released when trade options were being explored. It's not like he had a public blow-up, Bruce/Andrus style.

Well the minute you offer a star starter in the middle of the season teams know. Its also possible it got so ugly in a meeting that they decided to just fire him.

Expect the non friendly component of the media to play this all week. That is probably the worst part of this.

I am not surprised by this move at all. I was surprised when they started the season with him. Milo must have figured he could work with him. Or that a a trade possibility might open up. What I don't understand is who takes his place ? Kackert has had big problems holding onto the ball in the past...

ArgoZ
08-12-2012, 01:12 PM
It's not like he had a public blow-up, Bruce/Andrus style.

How do you know that? Im sure we will find out soon enough.

gilthethrill
08-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Holy cow....Milanovich's offences in Montreal always featured smaller, quicker backs (Colbourne, Whittaker)...did Boyd just not fit in? This is a jaw dropper....good thing I only paid $40 for my Boyd jersey a few weeks ago....only in the CFL....

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 01:14 PM

Someone will pick him up if he's willing to play for 65 to 75k. Or maybe he tries his hand at the NFL for this year.

ArgoZ
08-12-2012, 01:16 PM
I am not surprised by this move at all. I was surprised when they started the season with him. Milo must have figured he could work with him.

Well, on the field it has worked pretty well so far. He is leading the league in rushing and has had some good runs/games. Off field, I can only speculate.

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Well the two main qualities for a back in that offense is #1 Blocking and #2 being able to catch the ball... Do they go with Kackert or Johnson ? Can''t wait to see what the backup plan is.

hugoagogo
08-12-2012, 01:17 PM
Question for Argo fans. Does this twitter statement hold any weight?
ROB MURPHY ‏<s>@</s>BIGMURPH56 (https://twitter.com/BIGMURPH56) My thoughts on Cory Boyd? He was a fraud who fooled the media for 2yrs Good player when healthy but not a good teammate Media just ate it up

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 01:21 PM
ROB MURPHY ‏<s>@</s>BIGMURPH56 (https://twitter.com/BIGMURPH56) My thoughts on Cory Boyd? He was a fraud who fooled the media for 2yrs Good player when healthy but not a good teammate Media just ate it up

Ouch ! There you go...

Wobbler
08-12-2012, 01:21 PM
It's not like he had a public blow-up, Bruce/Andrus style.

When things happen in public, people tend to notice and report on them. No such reports have emerged.

ArgoZ
08-12-2012, 01:26 PM
So sitting in my hotel room in Calgary, I've got a lot of time on my hands. The internet is a buzz. Murph calling him out and one guy on facebook claims drug problems, crazy, crazy.

Wobbler
08-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Yeah, TSN reported this too. I'm curious to know what his definition of "fraud" is. Boyd always seemed pretty humble and relatively quiet in the public, so I guess Murphy is accusing him of being a primadonna in the locker room.

gilthethrill
08-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Moves like these really hurt the CFL. When did an MLB team release their leading hitter outright during the season? When is the last time an NHL team cut ties with their leading scorer in the same fashion. Perhaps moves like these are why the media perceives the CFL as second tier....interesting comments by Murph.....

ArgoZ
08-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Argoholic! I give you permission to swear away, I won't be offended this time, LOL.

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 01:34 PM
What in the hell is going on here. You figure this out now. I feel sick.

argotom
08-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Moves like these really hurt the CFL. When did an MLB team release their leading hitter outright during the season? When is the last time an NHL team cut ties with their leading scorer in the same fashion. Perhaps moves like these are why the media perceives the CFL as second tier....interesting comments by Murph.....

I agree with you.
Maybe someone here can recall if at all the last time a leading player in his catagory was cut during the season.
In this case a rusher?

RICKEARS
08-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Anyone else gonna sell greycup tix? looks like argos wont be in it :(

tennyis
08-12-2012, 01:48 PM
wow wtf.. I thought the outright release of Lemon last year before Jyles had even played a game was bad... As fans of this team we deserve an explanation... there is no way that releasing Boyd makes the team better! FIRE Jim Barker... I can only take so much as a fan! I love my Argos, but hate how they have run this team lately.

Rich
08-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Moves like these really hurt the CFL. When did an MLB team release their leading hitter outright during the season? When is the last time an NHL team cut ties with their leading scorer in the same fashion. Perhaps moves like these are why the media perceives the CFL as second tier

To release their best and arguably most popular player, in this their most important season ever, could be (and maybe probably should be) the final nail in the coffin of this sad franchise that I love.

Argoriffic
08-12-2012, 01:50 PM
I know I don't post much, his release is not a complete shock to me, what Cory Boyd does well - run down hill, go through people with a head of steam, get that 2 yards when you need 2 yards - is not what this offense is about. They need a guy that can make people miss in the open field and explode past defenders to pick up extra yards.

The last few games Ray has been feeding Boyd hitch/release passes to the outside in space in a one on one battle with the first defender. How many times has he made that defender miss and pick up YAC yards? Normally they tackle him for a few yards gain and stop the drive or make it second and long.

In Montreal its all about one on one match-ups especially in the flats. We have seen Colburne and Whitaker pick up first downs on 3 yard dump passes for many years now and Milanivic wants to do that here.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Durie switch to RB and to see a guy like Rambo or Mann take his place at receiver.

matchuk
08-12-2012, 01:52 PM

i actually like this kind of drama when teams release their best players midway through a season...makes it more exciting

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 01:55 PM
To release their best and arguably most popular player, in this their most important season ever, could be (and maybe probably should be) the final nail in the coffin of this sad franchise that I love.

No player is bigger than the team. This move was requested by the coaching staff. Maybe they are bringing in Joffrey Reynolds. They obviously have a plan. Give them at least a couple weeks to show their hand.

gilthethrill
08-12-2012, 01:56 PM
I don't think the team will sink as a result of this shocking transaction...don't blame Barker for this. Do you not think Milanovich & the coaches did not discuss this at length before Barker made the announcement? One man did not make this move.

RICKEARS
08-12-2012, 01:56 PM
does this mean Chad Kackert will start?

gilthethrill
08-12-2012, 01:57 PM
does this mean Chad Kackert will start?

Kackert does seem like the style of RB Milanovich is used to having....there are no other import RB on the roster right now...will Gerald Riggs Jr return?

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 01:58 PM
I know I don't post much, his release is not a complete shock to me, what Cory Boyd does well - run down hill, go through people with a head of steam, get that 2 yards when you need 2 yards - is not what this offense is about. They need a guy that can make people miss in the open field and explode past defenders to pick up extra yards.

The last few games Ray has been feeding Boyd hitch/release passes to the outside in space in a one on one battle with the first defender. How many times has he made that defender miss and pick up YAC yards? Normally they tackle him for a few yards gain and stop the drive or make it second and long.

In Montreal its all about one on one match-ups especially in the flats. We have seen Colburne and Whitaker pick up first downs on 3 yard dump passes for many years now and Milanivic wants to do that here.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Durie switch to RB and to see a guy like Rambo or Mann take his place at receiver.

That's what I see or possibly Kackert or even maybe Reynolds who Jones and Barker have a relationship with... There is no reason not to trust that coaching staff at this point.

Similar things were said when some vets were released on defense and the team actually improved...

Kackert does seem like the style of RB Milanovich is used to having....there are no other import RB on the roster right now...will Gerald Riggs Jr return?

Riggs is even less of the typical back used in this type of offense.

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 02:05 PM
If he was a problem why would you bring him back this year? At times he has looked slow to get going when he had passes dropped into his lap as he stood still in the flat but he's still the leading rusher. How do you not figure this out in training camp?
Now you have Kackert and no one else. Do you think they drag Riggs back and will he come?

They better not be bringing in Renolds who's up to his arse in legal serious legal issues.

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 02:05 PM
"
Man, my Life just took a huge 360 turn....Bless up to God," Boyd tweeted following the Argos' announcement.

He must mean a 180 LOL

dmont
08-12-2012, 02:10 PM
"

He must mean a 180 LOL

Maybe they resigned him ;)

AngeloV
08-12-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm not happy about this move at all. On top of being a great player, Boyd is front and center in all community events the Argos do. In fact, there he was this week for the little party theyt did for the 100th Grey Cup. To me it's pretty classless to ask him to do that and cut him 3 days later.

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Well according to Barker this was purely a football decision.
Boyd is not a good receiver and that is essential in Milanovich's offense.
Durie is a exactly the type of running back that fits in this offense and depending on the moves it might even allow a ratio swing. Something that is needed after Waters taking over from Prefontaine.

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Unless he pulled a Cleo Lemon and called out everyone in the dressing and coaches and was a total ass I can't understand this at all. WHY THE HELL COULDN'T THEY FIGURE THIS OUT IN CAMP????? Who else do they bring in now other than an older guy wiuth legal troubles like Renolds who some have mentioned.

gilthethrill
08-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Unless he pulled a Cleo Lemon and called out everyone in the dressing and coaches and was a total ass I can't understand this at all. WHY THE HELL COULDN'T THEY FIGURE THIS OUT IN CAMP????? Who else do they bring in now other than an older guy wiuth legal troubles like Renolds who some have mentioned.

Reynolds is not on his way to Toronto....someone will be brought in as depth, I would assume....it seems in the CFL you can just sign a FA to replace a star player....that looks bad in my opinion.

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 02:28 PM
This looks so bad and unprofessional and surely we hurt more than help getting people down to the dome. Hope someone gives Cory a shot. He may fit a system with a good O line where he can run wild. I'd hate this to be the end of his career in the CFL.
Watch him come back and burn us.

Just looked up the CFL rushing stats and he had two over 100 yard games. No other back has more than one. Winnipeg has the worst running stats with no back rushing for over 100 in a game. Will the Peg give him a shot?

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 02:39 PM
This looks so bad and unprofessional and surely we hurt more than help getting people down to the dome. Hope someone gives Cory a shot. He may fit a system with a good O line where he can run wild. I'd hate this to be the end of his career in the CFL.
Watch him come back and burn us.

Just looked up the CFL rushing stats and he had two over 100 yard games. No other back has more than one. Winnipeg has the worst running stats with no back rushing for over 100 in a game. Will the Peg give him a shot?

Doubt it. Simpson is very good, team is just plain bad and Mack is cheap... Boyd will clear waiver then might get some low offers from one of Calgary, Edmonton or Saskatchewan. A north-south runner is nice to have in bad weather out west late in the season.

ArgoRavi
08-12-2012, 02:43 PM
i don't buy that at all. recall that he negotiated his own deal after his rookie year and got less $ than many of us thought he could command. i remember the precise figures... it wasn't so much for a star RB at all.

He was making something like $95k per year which is low for a running back of his stature. I recall that KCArgofan was concerned that Boyd was being taken advantage of.

Will
08-12-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm not happy about this move at all. On top of being a great player, Boyd is front and center in all community events the Argos do. In fact, there he was this week for the little party theyt did for the 100th Grey Cup. To me it's pretty classless to ask him to do that and cut him 3 days later.

I'm not too pleased either. Right now I am telling myself that there is something more to this story, I would appreciate an explanation from the Argonauts.

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 02:47 PM
I'd be very happy if he ended up in Calgary as we cheer for them in this house. Well I don't when they're playing Toronto.
Calgary should pick him up today. Would be a smart move.

ArgoRavi
08-12-2012, 02:47 PM

At some point in September or October, Boyd's contract would have become guaranteed for the season. I doubt that salary was the reason for this release though.

I don't think that Boyd was a bad guy though I don't know him personally but he seemed to have some demons that he could never quite extinguish.

DanTheFan
08-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Lots of tweeting from Boyd now, but this could be par for the course with him and his subject matter (rarely read Twitter feeds). Younger wishes him luck.

http://twitter.com/KingBoyd03

ArgoRavi
08-12-2012, 02:54 PM
I agree with you.
Maybe someone here can recall if at all the last time a leading player in his catagory was cut during the season.
In this case a rusher?

The Blue Bombers cut Mini Mack Herron and Jim Thorpe back in the early 1970s when those two were at the peak of their careers. The major reason for their releases were drugs. Don Matthews and the Lions released Sammy Greene late in the '83 season - and Greene was having an outstanding season at the time - because of drugs.

No player is bigger than the team. This move was requested by the coaching staff. Maybe they are bringing in Joffrey Reynolds. They obviously have a plan. Give them at least a couple weeks to show their hand.

Reynolds is too busy fighting to stay in the country at the moment due to his legal problems so it won't be him. The Toronto Star did say that the Argos would be bringing in another running back but it will likely be fan favourite Chad Kackert getting the start in Calgary.

Will
08-12-2012, 02:57 PM
I still don't get it...how is this supposed to fix our horrid offensive line?

ArgoRavi
08-12-2012, 03:03 PM

I have never thought that our offensive line is as bad as many make it out to be. As for Boyd, I am very disappointed in the release and, like you, would love to get the full explanation which I don't believe is in that statement that was released.

matchuk
08-12-2012, 03:05 PM
media confrence is now up on argonauts.ca....

Will
08-12-2012, 03:06 PM
I have never thought that our offensive line is as bad as many make it out to be. As for Boyd, I am very disappointed in the release and, like you, would love to get the full explanation which I don't believe is in that statement that was released.

I know that the club isn't under any obligation to tell us, but when a popular player who is leading the league in rushing is released and that's the reason (doesn't fit in) given it is important to keep your fans as much "in the loop" as is possible on such a move. Let us also not forget that there will be moves made as a result of this (there has to be) and the puzzle hasn't finished itself yet.

Treblecharger1
08-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Hopefully those boyd jerseys go on sale lol Let's give Scott a chance here.... Chad is a great RB and if it makes us a better team then so be it...

argotom
08-12-2012, 03:08 PM
The Blue Bombers cut Mini Mack Herron and Jim Thorpe back in the early 1970s when those two were at the peak of their careers. The major reason for their releases were drugs. Don Matthews and the Lions released Sammy Greene late in the '83 season - and Greene was having an outstanding season at the time - because of drugs.

Thanks Ravi, but were any of these actually leading the rushing parade.
Of course, not that it makes any difference but does make for an interesting twist?

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 03:09 PM
They should have known this in training camp. Boyd isn't the type of player that can catch the ball in the flat while standing still and zip away like some of these speedy smaller rb's.
Isn't it strange that we haven't seen Kackert at all and now poof he's our starter. Is this grasping at straws or what? I do like Kackert but hopefully he can hang onto the ball. Are we know going to be bringing in a raw rookie to back him up?

argotom
08-12-2012, 03:10 PM

I agree with you.
At one time I wrote how Boyd would be close to the next Pinball in the community.
As well as a bad move, this is nothing but bad PR for the team.

matchuk
08-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Are we know going to be bringing in a raw rookie to back him up?

after hearing the media confrence, it sounds like they have a plan for another rb....scott didnt mention names of course, but his body language and answer seemed to hint at that...at least thats what i saw

Will
08-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Milt Stegall ‏<s>@</s>MiltStegallTSN (https://twitter.com/MiltStegallTSN) Cory Boyd was not let go for reasons pertaining to football. There is something else to this story. He's leading the league in rushing

I agree with Milt.

As well as a bad move, this is nothing but bad PR for the team.

It all depends how it is handled over the next couple of days.

Wobbler
08-12-2012, 03:12 PM
In Milanovich's press conference (http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/77165#) he made it pretty clear that Boyd wasn't playing well enough and especially not blocking well enough, that Kackert will definitely start next week, and that they won't make Durie a regular RB.

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 03:17 PM
Looked back at our training camp roster but we didn't have many rb's. Boyd, Kackert, Allan Ervin and Riggs. Thought perhaps we'd be bringing someone back. Riggs looked good but would he drop everything for a third time? I wouldn't want to get the run around again. Not sure what Allan showed and I'm not sure who's floating around without a team.

Will
08-12-2012, 03:19 PM
In Milanovich's press conference (http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/77165#) he made it pretty clear that Boyd wasn't playing well enough and especially not blocking well enough, that Kackert will definitely start next week, and that they won't make Durie a regular RB.

But, he's not the only one...Barnes...elements of the o-line.

zontar
08-12-2012, 03:23 PM

Lancaster cut RB Ronald Wms. mid-way thru 01 season and had major repercussions in playoffs.

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 03:29 PM
So he said Kackert will be the starter against Calgary but that doesn't mean he will be the following week. I wonder if Riggs comes back and told he'll be the guy in order to lure him back.

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Some of the answers are in the early portion of this presser IMO. You can also expect changes along the oline and maybe a big physical receiver brought in as well.
http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/77165

Hope Chad has learned to hang on to the ball...

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 03:39 PM
I don't necessarily take his comments to mean we're going to have a bunch of changes. It could mean that or just bringing in a few rb's to give a try. If they start to do the midseason rebuild that'll go nowhere. That crap has never worked for us. I think we could look at some reciver help though.
Man this goes back to what I said during camp. Ray alone won't win you games. Another reason why the Canadian draft is so important and that you draft guys that can help and not treating the draft as a crap shoot year in and year out. It's a whole trickle down effect.
Hopefully this year doesn't go down in flames because you didn't get this stuff right out of camp.

ArgoRavi
08-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Looked back at our training camp roster but we didn't have many rb's. Boyd, Kackert, Allan Ervin and Riggs. Thought perhaps we'd be bringing someone back. Riggs looked good but would he drop everything for a third time? I wouldn't want to get the run around again. Not sure what Allan showed and I'm not sure who's floating around without a team.

The easiest position to find good football players is running back. Look at how many good ones are in the league currently and how some pretty good veterans have had their careers end recently (e.g., Reynolds, Reid, Cobourne who is likely on his way out of Hamilton again). Kackert could be the answer in Toronto or they will find someone else who is.

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 03:43 PM
The easiest position to find good football players is running back. Look at how many good ones are in the league currently and how some pretty good veterans have had their careers end recently (e.g., Reynolds, Reid, Cobourne who is likely on his way out of Hamilton again). Kackert could be the answer in Toronto or they will find someone else who is.

Timing is good. Winnipeg isn't going anywhere...

OV Argo
08-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Some of the answers are in the early portion of this presser IMO. You can also expect changes along the oline and maybe a big physical receiver brought in as well.
http://www.argonauts.ca/video/index/id/77165

Ummm; if you're in a big air-lift mode early in a season where you are 3 & 3, then IMO it is quite clear that your GM and some of your coaches - HC in particular and also OC in this case, have done a pi$$-poor job of finding, evaluating and deploying talent AND drawing up a smart play-book or having good offensive game plans.

They're going to magically find a RB better than Boyd, some excellent new O-Linemen, and this big physcial receiver all of a sudden at this point in the season ??? - or are they going to give a shot to some other players who have been on the roster from TC and learning / working hard for a chance? - if it's the sudden air-lift in of some brand new "talent" - then IMO that smacks of pathetic desperation; we shall see what further moves transpire. IMO - Kackert might be able to handle RB well; and so could Durie i bet; vet Jeff Johnson is capable too ; a platoon of several different style backs works for me.

Loved Cory Boyd as a big, physical runner and sorry to see him go; but if it's because of some personal reasons or they guy was a hothead, me-first type who wouldn't listen to coaches or who didn't get the concept of TEAM - then see ya, and don't let the dressing room door hit your @$$ on the way out of town. Not sure what to think or believe here.

doubleblue
08-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Yeah I was gonna comment on jersey sales. Moves like this might make fans hesitant to buy them. Boy am I scratching my head over this. Is it at all possible he has some NFL interest?

Wouldn't be the first time a NFL team has wanted a player in the CFL and some deals have been made behind the scenes. Cory Boyd is more of a NFL type RB. I believe he slimmed down this year to around 210, but at 225 again he would be what some teams down there look for in their 1st down backs.
Now I wonder what teams in the NFL could deliver some players that the Argos would love to have. KC has a LBer that would look good in Double Blue, Minnesota has an O-Lineman who would also be a Canadian starter here.
Saw a RT play some for the NY Giants the other night. He didn't look out of place, could be an upgrade on the Argo O-Line. He is big. Was the biggest guy on the field when he played.
It was a shock to hear Cory Boyd was released, but he as an import is much easier replaced. Especially if you can get some top notch Canadian talent in return.
I hope my theory is right and the Argos can get a good Canadian back from the NFL. They are just another body down there but huge for the ratio up here.

LLB997
08-12-2012, 04:08 PM
shocking...

Argos
08-12-2012, 04:18 PM
Wow....just wow.....not feeling too optimistic about the rest of the season right now. Bizarre. Rushing leader on a very average CFL contract, and he's gone without anything in return.

LLB997
08-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Wouldn't be the first time a NFL team has wanted a player in the CFL and some deals have been made behind the scenes. Cory Boyd is more of a NFL type RB. I believe he slimmed down this year to around 210, but at 225 again he would be what some teams down there look for in their 1st down backs.
Now I wonder what teams in the NFL could deliver some players that the Argos would love to have. KC has a LBer that would look good in Double Blue, Minnesota has an O-Lineman who would also be a Canadian starter here.
Saw a RT play some for the NY Giants the other night. He didn't look out of place, could be an upgrade on the Argo O-Line. He is big. Was the biggest guy on the field when he played.
It was a shock to hear Cory Boyd was released, but he as an import is much easier replaced. Especially if you can get some top notch Canadian talent in return.
I hope my theory is right and the Argos can get a good Canadian back from the NFL. They are just another body down there but huge for the ratio up here.

But is Boyd even eligible for the NFL in 2012? I see some other CfL club picking him up. Honestly, its a bad move by the Argos based on the reasons i have heard from coach Millanovich. Coach said something along the lines of Boyd not playing physical enough when he is not a part of the primary play which i guess jeopardizes Rays well being out there. I don't buy it. Boyd is no stranger to mixing it up at any role.

My advice to any Argo fan buying Jersey----> BUY A BLANK!

ArgoZ
08-12-2012, 05:01 PM
My advice to any Argo fan buying Jersey----> BUY A BLANK!

Anyone interested in a like new, worn only once, size Large, Boyd jersey? Maybe I could stitch a question mark on the end of his name and then I could still wear it to the games. BOYD? #3 :hmmmm:

Ballstothewall
08-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Boyd was hated by his team and coaches. Rob Murphy on TSN radio, just said that Boyd had the media and fans fooled and his true colours started to come out. Would cut up other players and take shots at the CFL in the locker room. Would tell the media he lead his life a certain way, but in real life was out all night carry on. If true i say, good job on cutting him

bluto
08-12-2012, 05:29 PM
http://watch.tsn.ca/cfl-news-and-highlights/clip738162#clip738162

M (http://watch.tsn.ca/cfl-news-and-highlights/clip738162#clip738162)ilanovich on TSN Radio

anthonyrussell
08-12-2012, 05:32 PM
That has to be close to the reason. No way you cut the leading rusher in the league to improve the team off the back of stats alone. Something is amiss here. That said in Milanovich's interview with the website he called Boyd a model pro. I mean obviously he's not going to go out and say "this guy's a cancer in the room" but he could have been less diplomatic.

bluto
08-12-2012, 05:35 PM
all i know for now is that with Milanovich saying that the staff discussed thisand then gave Jim (Barker) a "heads up" about it... that coach Scott owes us some major production to make his fans (especially the ones wearing $200 #3 jerseys) forget this episode...

flafson
08-12-2012, 05:37 PM
To be honest, when i saw that Boyd is leading the league i was in shock. When you look at his plays 9 our of 10 times they look bad. He is good however on clearing the way for a first down when there is only 0-3 yards to go, other than that he always seemed blank to me. He obviously does something right, otherwise he wouldn't be ranked number 1.

ArgoRavi
08-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Boyd was hated by his team and coaches. Rob Murphy on TSN radio, just said that Boyd had the media and fans fooled and his true colours started to come out. Would cut up other players and take shots at the CFL in the locker room. Would tell the media he lead his life a certain way, but in real life was out all night carry on. If true i say, good job on cutting him

I asked Taylor Robertson on Twitter if he had any thoughts on Boyd's release and he tweeted back, "They finally released him?" Not quite as bad as what Murphy said but I guess that the offensive line and Boyd didn't see eye-to-eye during his time with the Argos.

I know that some of you don't have any use for Twitter but it has been hopping over this story today. Cory Boyd responded to Rob Murphy who in turn generated his own response while our own Lori Bursey gave a piece of her mind to Murphy as well.

To be honest, when i saw that Boyd is leading the league i was in shock. When you look at his plays 9 our of 10 times they look bad. He is good however on clearing the way for a first down when there is only 0-3 yards to go, other than that he always seemed blank to me. He obviously does something right, otherwise he wouldn't be ranked number 1.

Having gotten over the initial shock of the release, I can see where Milanovich is coming from from a football standpoint. The one thing that surprised me - and I suspect Milanovich - this season was Boyd's ineffectiveness as a receiver. I really thought that Boyd would have more success in that role and it just hasn't happened.

Wobbler
08-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Having gotten over the initial shock of the release, I can see where Milanovich is coming from from a football standpoint. The one thing that surprised me - and I suspect Milanovich - this season was Boyd's ineffectiveness as a receiver. I really thought that Boyd would have more success in that role and it just hasn't happened.
Well... I think that's a bit unfair. Throwing the ball to Boyd isn't the same thing as using him in a receiver role. I can only remember three or four plays (all screens) where it looked like he was the first read. He didn't have much success getting YACs after catching check down passes, but that's a different issue IMHO.

ArgoRavi
08-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Well... I think that's a bit unfair. Throwing the ball to Boyd isn't the same thing as using him in a receiver role. I can only remember three or four plays (all screens) where it looked like he was the first read. He didn't have much success getting YACs after catching check down passes, but that's a different issue IMHO.

I didn't think that Boyd's blocking was bad; I always thought that he was a good blocker but some of the media reports have suggested that that was a problem. The one problem with Boyd that I did see was with the receiving. He seemed more proficient in that role two years ago. You may be right that it is being unfair but I am guessing that 70 yards on 23 catches wasn't what Milanovich was expecting from that spot. Can Kackert do any better or is it more of an issue with the system? I guess that we will soon find out.

There is no question that this move carries some risk and it was the last thing that I was expecting but I guess that the upside is that there should be more media attention on the Argos over the coming weeks than there has been in a while. Hopefully there will be upside on the field too but time will tell.

paulwoods13
08-12-2012, 06:33 PM
I criticized him sharply last year for making inappropriate tweets, and for his blowup at an assistant coach on the bench in mid-game. I hoped and expected he would prove me wrong, and a few weeks ago I thought he had. I now think I was premature in reaching that conclusion. I believe that this decision was made for both football and non-football reasons. Milanovich is too classy to take a public shot at Boyd for any conduct issues.

Based on what I've seen from Milanovich as a head coach thus far, I feel confident he has made the best decision for the team going forward. It would have been great to have Boyd play up to his considerable potential week after week, but it seemed to happen only sporadically. No question the line bears a lot of responsibility as well, but there were times lately I thought Boyd looked slow and, worse, uninterested in really exerting himself out there. It was almost as if he didn't like the way the offence was designed so he would make a half-hearted stab into the line and then go down.

ArgoRavi
08-12-2012, 06:38 PM
I criticized him sharply last year for making inappropriate tweets, and for his blowup at an assistant coach on the bench in mid-game. I hoped and expected he would prove me wrong, and a few weeks ago I thought he had. I now think I was premature in reaching that conclusion. I believe that this decision was made for both football and non-football reasons. Milanovich is too classy to take a public shot at Boyd for any conduct issues.

Based on what I've seen from Milanovich as a head coach thus far, I feel confident he has made the best decision for the team going forward. It would have been great to have Boyd play up to his considerable potential week after week, but it seemed to happen only sporadically. No question the line bears a lot of responsibility as well, but there were times lately I thought Boyd looked slow and, worse, uninterested in really exerting himself out there. It was almost as if he didn't like the way the offence was designed so he would make a half-hearted stab into the line and then go down.

Was it you, Paul, that noticed some tension between Boyd and the offensive line last year? I guess that you have turned out to be correct if that was indeed you who noticed it.

paulwoods13
08-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Was it you, Paul, that noticed some tension between Boyd and the offensive line last year? I guess that you have turned out to be correct if that was indeed you who noticed it.

I seem to recall seeing him beak off at some o-linemen around the same time as the O'Shea incident. I can't remember specifics, and of course the posts from then are all gone. The comments from Murphy and Robertson certainly seem to suggest there was no love lost. To be fair, I am not a big fan of Murphy and his big mouth, either.

flafson
08-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Maybe they were hoping to drop the loss on Boyd so the fans would give next home game a shot? After the Montreal game i wanted to buy tickets to all the games and after the BC game i didn't want to hear about it again. Then again, maybe i'm too short sighted.

Stevoman
08-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Not much else to add that hasn't been said but I too am shocked and believe there is more to this story. Time will prove if this was a good decision or not and I will give the management a few weeks before I state my opinion. I'm going to miss seeing him fight for those extra yards and carrying the pile!

matthew
08-12-2012, 07:28 PM
This is why I never get a player jersey until they retire. Unlike players (because this is a business as well as a sport) I will always get my own name because I will always be partof the team. Sounds like Rob Murphy's tweet sums up or may be a clue as to why this happened.

ArgoGabe22
08-12-2012, 07:47 PM
I feel sad inside, as if someone just passed away. This is not a football move. Look I loved Boyd as a player and as a person, always thanked me for being at practice and seemed like a good guy in practice but listen his facebook page is King Boyd and theres no way we know what he does in his own time. I know he worked at a Fitness club in Mississauga and I hoped his life turned around. At the same time Murph was a great guy too and he doesn't BS, he told me a few things back at fan day (not Boyd related) stuff a player shouldn't be saying.

I would like to know what running the streets mean? Is Cory part of a gang going out shooting drive bys and dealing drugs? Maybe Boyd was a little a greedy in regards to wanting the ball and may have blown up a few occasions but running the streets doesn't sound good.

I wouldn't mind sending an email to management and letting them know whats on my mind. Of course in a professional way and wanting to know why they released the face of their franchise, leagues leader in rushing and a friend to many fans. Of course I expect no reply but at least know someone cares. He's been to every PR event, like in which Pinball writes in his book. I respect Murph but I know he wouldn't so these events.

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 07:54 PM
This is why my jersey's say Argoholics on the back with 90 the year we formed our crazy bunch.
I was critical of Boyd last year thinking he had some mental issues such as depression with the way he was acting. He would cry and carry on. That isn't a slam on him as a person because this poor guy has been through hell in his young life. Right from day one he was up against it and has done very well for himself. Murphy comes across as this big tough ass but I'm sure he couldn't handle the pain the Boyd has had in his life. How can you judge a guy who lost his best friend to suicide and played though the pain. His mom died in jail or something like that. He had a brother or cousin die in his arms. I don't know about you but those are thing I see on tv only in my life. Too bad that sport can be cruel like this but the Argos had the chance after a so so game and cut him loose. They can call it all they want but it must have to do with his personal actions or players just not understanding the guy. Not sure pro teams give a rats arse about something like depression. My personal obsevations but Cory seemed pretty manic at times. Good luck Cory and I hope you end up in Calgary. Too bad you're getting ripped by fools like Murphy.

Wobbler
08-12-2012, 07:55 PM
It's a terrible shame that we weren't able to trade Boyd and get some value for him, but other than that I'm excited about the team going forward. There is an opportunity to change the way we use the run, and do a little experimentation.

Lefko wrote an interesting article today (http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/2012/08/12/argonauts_cut_cory_boyd_know_your_role/) basically accusing Boyd of being unable or unwilling to adapt his style to Milanovich's offense. He also implies/states that Kackert was more popular with his teammates; perhaps the O-Line will be a bit more enthusiastic making holes for him?

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 08:06 PM
Running the streets could mean something as little as hitting the nightlife hard. It's a football team with tons of guys that aren't all going to get along. Hell if I was on a team and they blared cRAP music they'd hate me for bitching about it. I remember playing hockey with guys that were complete tools that if I saw them today broken down on the side of the road I'd honk and say nice place to park butt plug.

ArgoGabe22
08-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Thinking of going to practice wearing my Boyd jersey in protest. I'll be in the newspaper on Tuesday for sure. Anyone want to join me? lol

I'm still shocked, thats why I can't shut up about it. I like Milanovich's dynamic offence but I don't get why both Ray and Boyd couldn't co-exist.

Argo-Les
08-12-2012, 08:33 PM
SHOCKED SHOCKED SHOCKED
I have read all the threads here and still cannot believe this
I LOVED the way Cory played..........
It seems all hearsay thus far
MY hope here is for the team!
IT IS a team sport and without everyone pulling together(as our slogan goes ) it dont work!
politics are in everyday life ..........
LETS HOPE THIS IS FOR THE BEST!
GO ARGOS!
GOOD LUCK CORY

Fungi
08-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Great! I could give a rats Shyte about what Barker thinks or does. No one has ever put a GM's name on the back of a fans jersey. Boyd was , is and should be part of the furniture in Argo land. What a goof move. I need more info on this obviously, but theres a stink hovering around...call it politics if you will, but I always believed the FANS came first.
This is the reason why I say to disassociate Braley from Bob Ackles. It's not a class move.
Toronto is famous for this stuff. Frank Mahovolich, Dunnigan, (almost pinball) and now Boyd.
I want to see Barker run 50 laps for charity for this BS!

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm still in shock as well and to do this six games in just floors me. This is training camp stuff. If he was a bad apple or anything than why not cut him before the season started? Plus you don't try and trade him for anything? Does anyone remember the gongshow because it seems Barker has his own version in TO.
I'd be really po'd if I bought seasons to watch Boyd and now he's gone. This will bring the crowds back. JOKE! More I think about this the more pissed I get.

Argo-Girl
08-12-2012, 09:54 PM
I was absolutely shocked when I read this news earlier today on facebook. Watching Cory Boyd and Chad Owens their first year playing for the Argos is what made me fall in love with the CFL - I never actually watched football before two years ago. The two of them are the main draw - they have personalities along with their phenomenal playing skills - that's what makes them unique. What are they going to do next - cut Chad Owens because he's too burnt out from using him in every possible position? Cory was for sure my favourite - he was always very humble to the fans, media etc. and he also has a story - came from nothing and made himself something sort of deal. Seriously maybe if the offensive line could do a better job of blocking then "the horse" could bet out of the barn and do his thing - running to the end zone - and maybe Ricky would stop getting sacked as well!!!!

RoRoYoBoat
08-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Claimed off Waiver by Edmonton.

AngeloV
08-12-2012, 10:10 PM
SHOCKED SHOCKED SHOCKED
I have read all the threads here and still cannot believe this
I LOVED the way Cory played..........
It seems all hearsay thus far
MY hope here is for the team!
IT IS a team sport and without everyone pulling together(as our slogan goes ) it dont work!
politics are in everyday life ..........
LETS HOPE THIS IS FOR THE BEST!
GO ARGOS!
GOOD LUCK CORY

Great post. I am a big Boyd fan, but an Argos fan first and foremost.

If it's true that Edmonton has just claimed him, I hope he does well. Just not on Aug 27. :confused:

OV Argo
08-12-2012, 10:11 PM
Claimed off Waiver by Edmonton.

Makes the most sense of any CFL team IMO; while they have Hugh Charles as the starter (quite impressive this season after i considered him very over-rated/mediocre with the Riders), Boyd is a very different style back - much bigger, more power; Boyd could be like Messam was for the Esks last year - if they choose to use him that way.

WHY didn't the Argos either just place Boyd on the PR or injured list and wait to see how the offence without him looked though? To get nothing for such a proven back seems silly/stupid ??? - have to think their was some blow-up or disciplinary thing that made them want to get rid of Boyd so fast ???

tc23
08-12-2012, 10:15 PM
Eskimos will take a look at Boyd after release from Argos
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Eskimos+will+take+look+Boyd+after/7079887/story.html

Argocister
08-12-2012, 10:23 PM

WHY didn't the Argos either just place Boyd on the PR or injured list and wait to see how the offence without him looked though? To get nothing for such a proven back seems silly/stupid ??? - have to think their was some blow-up or disciplinary thing that made them want to get rid of Boyd so fast ???
I agree. If they wanted to try something different they could put him elsewhere on the roster. At least give time for a trade. But perhaps, Boyd said if he didn't improve just cut him.
I can see giving CB3 6 games or so to prove himself with the offence. He was last years starter and has proven a great asset to the team. Give him time to adjust and learn the system first rather than just cutting him in TC.
I still think there has been something else that pushed this over the tipping point. Only time will tell.

Now I know how the Eskie fans felt with ET dealing out Ray. :(

ArgoGabe22
08-12-2012, 10:31 PM
I hope the Argos win vs EDM but he was a career high, if he even starts which isn't likely imo. I has happy when Byron Parker picked off Joseph when he went to EDM

OV Argo
08-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Conspiracy theorists at it allready: Boyd to the Esks to help balance the soft trade of Ray to the Argos - that Tillspin is a genius (Ray for Jyles, Grant Shaw AND Cory Boyd) - had it planned all along. Schmoes plan to win with their excellent D (very impressive thus far IMO); and now the big power back in Boyd to grind it out and not have to rely on an iffy passer like Jyles ? Esks win the GC - in TO - with Jyles at QB, Boyd a big factor at RB and Grant Shaw kicks a bunch of key FGs?

ArgoGabe22
08-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Yup Cory Boyd was the "future considerations" for the trade.

LLB997
08-12-2012, 10:46 PM
I would imagine in this situation Esks management would be very interested in what Boyd is like in the locker room and how he coexists with his team mates before making any moves. Insert a couple of ex Argos from last year who shared a locker room with CB3 and who are currently wearing green and gold. Certain people must have positive things to say about CB3 if the Esks think he is worth picking up.

Rich
08-12-2012, 10:54 PM
The Argonauts were 10-3 in games in which Cory Boyd gained 100 yds or more rushing. Knowing this fact, shouldn't the coach have done everything in his power to try and get Boyd his 100 yds? Isn't it all about wins? Shouldn't a coach implement a system that best suits his personnel?

Instead of finding ways to use this great offensive weapon, Milanovich seemed to approach the Argos running game as an afterthought. There was a complete lack of imagination there. From the shotgun formation, giving Boyd the ball from a standing start and sending him into the 1 or 2 hole, time after time after time, it is a testament to Boyd's abilities that he got as many yards as he did. I didn't see any attempt to get Boyd outside the tackles on a running play, whether a sweep or pitchout or some kind of misdirection. Watch the variety of running plays that Saskatchewan runs with their fine young back to see what should have been done here.

I get the feeling Milanovich was more interested in fiddling around with his fancy new passing system than he was in having any success on the ground, even with a great back like Cory Boyd back there. I tell you there are going to be a lot of second-and-threes this year where we are all going to miss having big #3 power his way to the first down. Kackert sure ain't gonna be able to do that. The heat is on Milanovich now. Dumping the team's best and perhaps most popular player had better result in wins, and a lot of them, or else this whole thing could go south real fast.

hugoagogo
08-12-2012, 10:55 PM
I would imagine in this situation Esks management would be very interested in what Boyd is like in the locker room and how he coexists with his team mates before making any moves. Insert a couple of ex Argos from last year who shared a locker room with CB3 and who are currently wearing green and gold. Certain people must have positive things to say about CB3 if the Esks think he is worth picking up.

I would suspect Jyles was asked his input on the deal. Makes sense for the Esks. Yes he draws a higher salary then someone unproven - but he is proven. If he doesn't fit in after a few weeks, you cut him loose - no real cap hit. No real gamble here on the part of Edmonton. I do agree though, surprised he wasn't just bumped off the 46 in some way to retain him. Must be more to this story...

Wobbler
08-12-2012, 11:07 PM
The Argonauts were 10-3 in games in which Cory Boyd gained 100 yds or more rushing. Knowing this fact, shouldn't the coach have done everything in his power to try and get Boyd his 100 yds? Isn't it all about wins? Shouldn't a coach implement a system that best suits his personnel?
No, Yes, Yes.

Boyd and Ray are both excellent players, but given a choice I know who I'd build my offense around. I think we'll be fine.

Rich
08-12-2012, 11:20 PM
No, Yes, Yes.

Boyd and Ray are both excellent players, but given a choice I know who I'd build my offense around. I think we'll be fine.

I guess you never heard the old football adage about how a strong running game makes any quarterback better.

Gill The Thrill
08-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Yeah, TSN reported this too. I'm curious to know what his definition of "fraud" is. Boyd always seemed pretty humble and relatively quiet in the public, so I guess Murphy is accusing him of being a primadonna in the locker room.

Sounds familiar...I wonder which poster called out Boyd's attitude last year. It looks like it's festered again. As a follower of the CFL for 30 years now, this does not surprise me...we've seen this happen many times before, especially to running backs...it even happens in that other football league, the one that pays millions.

Maybe the Argos noticed that his best game was against a Hamilton defense that sucks against the run...I'm way past my athletic prime and was never good enough to play pro but watching the Cats get run over by Cornish, I think I can rush for 50 yds against them in a game.

RICKEARS
08-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Looks like he's on his way to EDM

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 11:36 PM
I want to see if Riggs comes back. If he does I'd bet that Barker wanted Cory and Milanovich wanted Riggs.I guess that's a simplistic view point. Milanovich stated that Kackert would be the starter against Calgary but he didn't suggest that he was the go to guy from here on out. Should be interesting to see who they bring in. This all should have been handled during camp and looks bush. The only way this should happen now is if Cory lost it. We need more info and as fans we deserve it.

Gill The Thrill
08-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Someone will pick him up if he's willing to play for 65 to 75k. Or maybe he tries his hand at the NFL for this year.

Boyd is old news in the NFL, as he's burned some bridges with several organizations on his way out the door...It's why he was available to come and play for Barker and was willing to come up to Canada for such little money in his first season.

Midnight Blue
08-12-2012, 11:42 PM
I was as shocked as everyone else when I heard Cory Boyd was released, but I'm glad we still have Chad Kackert. Kackert has shown flashes of brilliance at times when he played last year, and now he'll get a chance to do it full-time. Good Luck to both Cory Boyd, and to Chad Kackert!

Also, finer minds than mine, on this site, have mentioned that our O-Line is still learning to play together. Meaning, protecting Ricky Ray, and opening holes for the running game. If Boyd was basically a North-South runner, perhaps defences were zeroing in on him. I can't quite recall from last year, but does Kackert offer a more dimensional attack, meaning, side-to-side running (as well as North-South), and catching short asses and taking off downfield?

We will soon find out, but I'm curious about others' recollections and memories of Kackert from last year.

Cheers !

Gill The Thrill
08-12-2012, 11:57 PM

The Jays released Frank Thomas several years ago when he was still capable of hitting home runs....After the 1988 season, the Calgary Flames traded Mike Bullard who had over a 100 points in the regular season but performed nowhere near as productively in the playoffs when the Flames bowed out to the Oilers in 4 games...the Flames won the Stanley Cup in 1989. The New York Rangers traded Mike Gartner, a perennial 30 goal scorer in the 1994 trade deadline but still went on to win the Stanley Cup...The San Francisco 49'ers either released or chose not to re-sign arguably the best QB ever in Joe Montana and they won a Super Bowl with Steve Young...Peyton Manning was not re-signed by Indy just this last off-season....it happens all the time.

I agree with you.
In this case a rusher?

I believe Wally Bouno in BC cut either Antonio Warren or Kelvin Anderson when they were either the leading rusher or close to it... I believe he cut Kelvin Anderson, a player he also had for years in Calgary before having him in BC when he saw that Joe Smith was younger and cheaper...that's the reality of it. Robert Edwards was a great back also in Montreal for a couple of years, but once someone younger came alongs, he was shown the door....it's like Duane Ford said on TSN, import running backs are a dime-a-dozen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Durie switch to RB and to see a guy like Rambo or Mann take his place at receiver.Superb analysis and bang on about Cory Boyd in one on one situations on the flat, especially against the top teams.

Wobbler
08-13-2012, 12:11 AM
I guess you never heard the old football adage about how a strong running game makes any quarterback better.
The 2012 Argos haven't had "a strong running game". One productive game by Boyd (which we lost) has muddied the statistical waters. I think Milanovich etc. are well aware of this adage (axiom, I'd say) and are keeping it in mind.

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Hopefully we can turn the page with Kackert scampering around like a madman. Could be fun watching Owens and Kackert running wild. I've always loved a little rb that scampers. haha. Not sure why Kackert hasn't been used and now thrown to the wolves.

Midnight Blue
08-13-2012, 12:38 AM
[...] After the 1988 season, the Calgary Flames traded Mike Bullard who had over a 100 points in the regular season but performed nowhere near as productively in the playoffs when the Flames bowed out to the Oilers in 4 games...the Flames won the Stanley Cup in 1989. [...]

Mike Bullard played hockey? Cool. I thought he was a good comedian, but I had no idea. Every time I saw him on TV, he was fat and bald. I guess that's why they traded him.

KCargosfan
08-13-2012, 01:21 AM
He was making something like $95k per year which is low for a running back of his stature. I recall that KCArgofan was concerned that Boyd was being taken advantage of.

That is correct, and I still think he was taken advantage of considering the time.

Agreed. This move makes no sense. You could have put Walter Payton out there against BC and he wouldn't have done squat. I also fail to see Kackert being as good a blocker as Boyd.

I'm not happy with the Argos right now.

Maybe Rob Murphy hated him, but I have a hard time believing the whole team did. As anthonyrussell said, in Milanovich's press conference, he shrugged off the suggestion of Boyd being a bad teammate.

Sounds familiar...I wonder which poster called out Boyd's attitude last year. It looks like it's festered again. As a follower of the CFL for 30 years now, this does not surprise me...we've seen this happen many times before, especially to running backs...it even happens in that other football league, the one that pays millions.

Maybe the Argos noticed that his best game was against a Hamilton defense that sucks against the run...I'm way past my athletic prime and was never good enough to play pro but watching the Cats get run over by Cornish, I think I can rush for 50 yds against them in a game.

You've always been a Boyd hater for some reason, but if you actually got put on the field against Hamilton, one of their linebackers would put you in the hospital.

ArgoRavi
08-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Running the streets could mean something as little as hitting the nightlife hard. It's a football team with tons of guys that aren't all going to get along. Hell if I was on a team and they blared cRAP music they'd hate me for bitching about it. I remember playing hockey with guys that were complete tools that if I saw them today broken down on the side of the road I'd honk and say nice place to park butt plug.

When you get 55-60 guys together (or in the case of Edmonton, 73), not everyone is going to get along. You are correct in your previous post about Boyd having had to deal with a lot in his life and that can't help but affect him today. Murphy's comments were interesting and revealing but I do feel bad for Boyd that he had to put up with that on the day of his release. Anyway, it hasn't taken Boyd long to find employment again.

Maybe Rob Murphy hated him, but I have a hard time believing the whole team did. As anthonyrussell said, in Milanovich's press conference, he shrugged off the suggestion of Boyd being a bad teammate.

On Twitter, Sammy Tranks defended Boyd and expressed his disagreement to Murphy over his tweets so there were certainly teammates who liked Boyd. Jordan Younger also tweeted a nice message to Boyd.

Gill The Thrill
08-13-2012, 02:14 AM
You've always been a Boyd hater for some reason, but if you actually got put on the field against Hamilton, one of their linebackers would put you in the hospital.

I didn't say I would'nt end up in the hospital by the end of the night, but I'd still gain 50 yds..lol.:hi:

I just never liked the way he went after O'Shea in front of fans and in front of national TV audience, I thought that was very unprofessional on his part. I honestly thought that either one or the other would not be back before the start of this season. Truth be told, Boyd's talent is the only thing that kept him on the team, because most guys would've got axed after confronting a coach in the manner in which he did. Whether it was a personality issue, or a football move, it's clear Milanovich wanted to see different traits from a premiere back.

Boyd is a traditional American Football running back, in that he was mostly effective when handed off the ball, and not as effective as a pass receiver from the backfield. Looking at Milanovich's offensive philosophy in Montreal, he utilized his backs that showed some versatility for pass receiving from the backfield ala, Robert Haskins and Brandon Whitaker.

Cheers

LLB997
08-13-2012, 02:21 AM
Am i actually losing sleep over this? Its 2 am and comments are still coming. Rob Murphy took a bit of a cheap shot at boyd. He was his team mate in 2010/ 2011 and Boyd was released in 2012. He has about as much of an idea as i do about the dynamics of the locker room this season. He may have had a beef with him in 2010 or 2011, and if that is the case , then it reflects boyd at that time and not right now. Everything Murph is saying is outdated or 3rd party info. That being said, you gotta hand it to the big lug, because he is 35 yrs old and uses the twatter like a 12 yr old girl. This cult of personality society we live in will bathe in his twats. The man has given this story teeth, It was the top update on CTV's 11:30 pm news lead in and has garnered more comments on TSN's website than the olympics.

ArgoRavi
08-13-2012, 02:26 AM
Am i actually losing sleep over this? Its 2 am and comments are still coming. Rob Murphy took a bit of a cheap shot at boyd. He was his team mate in 2010/ 2011 and Boyd was released in 2012. He has about as much of an idea as i do about the dynamics of the locker room this season. He may have had a beef with him in 2010 or 2011, and if that is the case , then it reflects boyd at that time and not right now. Everything Murph is saying is outdated or 3rd party info. That being said, you gotta hand it to the big lug, because he is 35 yrs old and uses the twatter like a 12 yr old girl. This cult of personality society we live in will bathe in his twats. The man has given this story teeth, It was the top update on CTV's 11:30 pm news lead in and has garnered more comments on TSN's website than the olympics.

I am very surprised that Murphy wasn't hired by TSN after he retired. He has the unique ability to really stir people up and they need that on their telecasts IMO. It the folks at TSN were smart, they would find some kind of role for Murphy a.s.a.p.

Midnight Blue
08-13-2012, 02:31 AM
It had occurred to me earlier, that maybe this move was made to allow the Argos to try another RB, Kackert, without having to go through the BS of faking an injury to Boyd, or without insulting him by putting him on the practise roster, or having to pay him not to dress, or insulting him by taking him out of the line-up.

Scratching the league's leading rusher would draw even more howls of protest from fans than cutting him, Sure, the Argos could have just said we're giving Kackert some playing time, but the finality of this decision may have been calculated to shake the whole team up out of an apparent lethargy; re-energize them. I've read that the team wasn't always giving 100% at practise. If no one wanted to trade for Boyd, then apparently every team is happy with their RBs. Even Edmonton is happy, and they said they are only giving Boyd a look-see. Anyway, now the Argos are free of the contract, and are free to re-sign him later if needed, assuming the rules permit it (cutting and re-signing a player in the same season -- would the old contract still apply?). If they can't make it work with Kackert or with whomever, Boyd can come back later if needed, re-energized too, assuming no major blow-up or whatever happened in the dressing room. I find it hard to believe that Boyd's persona was some fake. He seemed genuinely honest, humble, and a straight shooter.
I know this may be far-fetched. But it gives Boyd a fair chance to break in with a new team. It is the respectful thing to allow him to do. Again, I've read here that Boyd has used up his NFL chances, and apparently no other CFL team wanted to trade for him (they would have jumped at it), and again, even Edmonton is just giving him a look, out of respect, though Edmonton is very happy with their present RB. Just a thought.

Gill The Thrill
08-13-2012, 02:36 AM

Ravi, I remember a Winnipegger on 13th man used to refer to Mack Herron as 'Smack Heroin' because of the aforementioned reasons above.

I also remember Sammy Greene playing for the Leo's in the early part of 1983, and wondered what happened? He was a huge part of the offense and made some big catches in front of some large loud crowds during that opening season at BC Place Stadium, then he just disappeared from the club.

Midnight Blue
08-13-2012, 02:38 AM

Oh, don't lose any sleep over this. If you care to, take this opportunity to perfect your drinking skills (like me).

You're right about Murphy being old news. And a classless act on Murphy's part, no matter what went down, if anything, behind the scenes.

Cheers !

ArgoRavi
08-13-2012, 02:41 AM
Ravi, I remember a Winnipegger on 13th man used to refer to Mack Herron as 'Smack Heroin' because of the aforementioned reasons above.

I also remember Sammy Greene playing for the Leo's in the early part of 1983, and wondered what happened? He was a huge part of the offense and made some big catches in front of some large loud crowds during that opening season at BC Place Stadium, then he just disappeared from the club.

At the time, the Lions didn't say why Sammy was released but Sammy himself confirmed it recently in an interview with the Leader-Post IIRC (he later played with the Riders). Greene, btw, played well for the Argos in the '82 preseason but didn't make the team. Anyway, I had suspected that Greene was released from B.C. because of a drug problem because Matthews said at that time that any player caught having such a problem would be let go - "tough love" was how a drug problem was dealt with back in those days - and indeed Greene has since confirmed that. He was a talented player who has admitted that he messed up. From what I can recall from this interview which happened a year or two ago, Greene has done much better in recent years.

ArgosRule
08-13-2012, 08:41 AM
LLB997 "Rob Murphy took a bit of a cheap shot at boyd" <- kind of like the way he played. Like you also said, "uses the twatter like a 12 yr old girl". I stopped reading his drama queen comments last year. I think Murphy has shown the type of teammate HE really is. Maybe it is smallmurphs insecurities or was not hugged enough as a child, I don't know. I lost the little respect I had for "him"

I have been an Argo fan forever but Braely better get the GM, coach and marketing dept. on the same page. They knew what Boyd was good at and not good but what did they bring to training camp for this "style"? The same as last year... great scouting. I am with RICH in that a coach has to utilyze to the strengths of the player; even more in the first year of this new system. It is like Barker does not plan for the future and his managment style is to just wing it.

Sorry for the negative post but I am really upset by this and with Argo "management". Oh and that fomer lineman who maybe just jealous because not too many fans ever walked around with his name on their jersey.

paulwoods13
08-13-2012, 09:10 AM
LLB997 "Rob Murphy took a bit of a cheap shot at boyd" <- kind of like the way he played. Like you also said, "uses the twatter like a 12 yr old girl". I stopped reading his drama queen comments last year. I think Murphy has shown the type of teammate HE really is. Maybe it is smallmurphs insecurities or was not hugged enough as a child, I don't know. I lost the little respect I had for "him"

I have been an Argo fan forever but Braely better get the GM, coach and marketing dept. on the same page. They knew what Boyd was good at and not good but what did they bring to training camp for this "style"? The same as last year... great scouting. I am with RICH in that a coach has to utilyze to the strengths of the player; even more in the first year of this new system. It is like Barker does not plan for the future and his managment style is to just wing it.

Sorry for the negative post but I am really upset by this and with Argo "management". Oh and that fomer lineman who maybe just jealous because not too many fans ever walked around with his name on their jersey.

1. Ever read any of Boyd's tweets? Makes BIGMURPH look like Shakespeare.

2. Marketing has nothing to do with winning. Picking players based on whose jerseys fans buy is a guaranteed ticket to oblivion.

3. Contrary to what Rich implied, there are many successful coaches who stick to their systems, and find players who fit those systems. It is not essential (or even advisable) to change a successful system to work around guys whose style is not a good fit. Milanovich has had a lot of success with his offence in the CFL and presumably has decided he is not going to start watering it down as soon as he gets a HC job. I commend his self-confidence -- time will tell if it is well-placed but I'm betting he will ultimately be proved right.

ArgosRule
08-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Mr. Woods,

3. I know many coaches have but how many rookie head coaches? This is just a managment style. As a manager, that is what I do at work. I know sports is different. Again, just different philosophy in getting the job done.

2. The reason I say about marketing is the TEAM is trying to also win back a city. If it is because of Boyd's issues then they sould have thought about that ahead of time and not used him so much on the marketing side. I am thinking about all the fans who have seen the team do this and bought a shirt with his digit and name. As I said, they knew what Boyd could and could not do and the team has no plan in place and made this move.

1. Boyd has been quiet on twitter. Boyd has said and done questionable things, I have cringed at a few things he has behaved. I know you have an issue with his personality but he has showed up to play and has tried to make the team a winner.

Gill The Thrill
08-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Conspiracy theorists at it allready: Boyd to the Esks to help balance the soft trade of Ray to the Argos - that Tillspin is a genius (Ray for Jyles, Grant Shaw AND Cory Boyd) - had it planned all along. Schmoes plan to win with their excellent D (very impressive thus far IMO); and now the big power back in Boyd to grind it out and not have to rely on an iffy passer like Jyles ? Esks win the GC - in TO - with Jyles at QB, Boyd a big factor at RB and Grant Shaw kicks a bunch of key FGs?

I'm sure the BC Lions will have something to say about whether Edmonton really shows up to the big game in November, and so may the Riders....If the Argos held onto Jyles, with Boyd and Shaw as they had on thier roster...do you really think the Argos would win the Grey Cup this season....now all of a sudden you think they're winning the Grey Cup.

People are getting way too emotional. Ricky Ray won Grey Cups in Edmonton as a starting QB, THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION IN CANADIAN FOOTBALL. The QB position in the CFL is probably the most important position player of any in team sports, not the running back...it's like having an ace pitcher, or a good closer in major league baseball, if you don't have one, you are'nt winning, period.

You don't win championships with Trent Dilfer's in this league.

Am i actually losing sleep over this? Its 2 am and comments are still coming. Rob Murphy took a bit of a cheap shot at boyd. He was his team mate in 2010/ 2011 and Boyd was released in 2012. He has about as much of an idea as i do about the dynamics of the locker room this season. He may have had a beef with him in 2010 or 2011, and if that is the case , then it reflects boyd at that time and not right now. Everything Murph is saying is outdated or 3rd party info. That being said, you gotta hand it to the big lug, because he is 35 yrs old and uses the twatter like a 12 yr old girl. This cult of personality society we live in will bathe in his twats. The man has given this story teeth, It was the top update on CTV's 11:30 pm news lead in and has garnered more comments on TSN's website than the olympics.If that's true, that this has garnered more comments on TSN's website than the Olympics then that's FANTASTIC...Cohen should hire Rob Murphy a job in the marketing department of the CFL Head Office immediately...The CFL needs to be in the news as much as possible.

The cult of personality society that you mention is the reason why people are also getting hysterical over the release of a running back that may have been valuable on a team with just 9 wins and 6 wins over the past 2 seasons. The Argos had a record of 18-24 with Boyd as a member of the squad over parts of 2.33 seasons, and were 1-1 in the playoffs, narrowly escaping a playoff win at Ivor Wynn because the Ticats beat themelves, and then getting blown out the next week in Montreal. I think it's not the end of the world...Boyd was given a better QB to work with this season and his production was O.K, but not game breaking. I like a team and a coach in Milanovich who judges a player's productivity against the best team and the Grey Cup champion because it means he has high standards. He obviously did not like how the running game was going against BC and noticed too many 2 and outs from situations where the Argos were less than 2nd and 5. The only guy who was able to break tackles with any consistency and versatility was Owens who was getting creamed last game. Boyd could not even get open from the backfield to offer that and has had a slow first move all season.

I can't believe a lot of Argo fans who follow this team really believed that Boyd's days were not numbered in this organization after that blow up on the sideline last year in confronting special teams coach, Mike O'Shea.

I said at the time, and posted that by doing nothing the Argos sent a horrible message that certain players are running the team instead of the coaches, ala the inmates running the asylum. Barker coincidentally had another incident in that same game, where a starting QB that he recruited to the team and league was snickering after a turnover was committed by his backup...Barker had an expendable scapegoat in Cleo Lemon whom he could afford to cut (even though that got criticized by some) because Lemon was not showing signs of being anything other than serviceable at best and was not at the top of the league stats in his position.

I thought Barker played favourites by not disciplining Boyd and sent the wrong message that some guys could run the room, thus making him soft and potentially losing the locker room...it was always Barker's fault as a head coach. That being said, I need to commend Jim Barker, the General Manager, for letting his head coach put out the team that he wants out there and makes him feel most comfortable. I think it's a move that will save Jim Barker as an executive in the league. We know Boyd was probably a Barker favourite and did not feel comfortable releasing him, but kudoos for allowing his coach to put out the team he wants and needs out on the field.

doubleblue
08-13-2012, 11:58 AM
So Cory Boyd stays in the league by going to Edmonton. Could be their Messam this year if they can open holes for him. The Argo present O-Line couldn't so they go with a guy who is good in the open field and can make guys miss, something Boyd didn't seem to be able to do. The problem I have with Kackert is that although he makes great moves and is high energy, he sometimes forget to take the ball with him. Turnovers are killers. Not so sure either that Kackert is an every down type of RB as I believe he will wear down trying to do that. But he was a great change of pace player and I always felt the Argos should have dressed him instead of some of those WR's who contribute little game in and game out.
The club won't say so but Boyd probably burned some bridges like blowing up at O'Shea etc. When you do that it is just a matter of time before they get even. Production slips a bit and you're gone. Canadian players can get away with a bit but not the imports, they are too easily replaced.

Cleo Lemon found that out. lol

tennyis
08-13-2012, 12:03 PM
still in shock over this deal... Barker is going to have a hell of a time getting anyone to play here in the future with moves like this.

Rich
08-13-2012, 12:23 PM
The 2012 Argos haven't had "a strong running game". One productive game by Boyd (which we lost) has muddied the statistical waters. I think Milanovich etc. are well aware of this adage (axiom, I'd say) and are keeping it in mind.

Well they may be keeping it in mind, but IMO they have done a very poor job in trying to actually implement a strong running game. Sending Boyd into the 1 and 2 holes out of the shotgun formation, over and over and over again, showed me that Milanovich was not really that interested in taking advantage of this player's huge talents. Apparently he's more interested in being the architect of some aerial circus that doesn't need a strong running game, but we have seen this approach fail more often than not in the CFL.

Will
08-13-2012, 12:45 PM
One thing you can't argue is that this transaction has increased traffic and activity on this site a bit.

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Time to move on as Cory has. Tillman is one great judge of talent so I guess Cory can't be that bad. Good luck to him.

Now what's instore for us? Midseason changes have historically done very little for The Argonauts. If Kackert was the guy Milanovich wanted then why wasn't he playing. Frankly I thought Kackert was going to be cut by now but poof now he's the starter for at least one game. We'll obviously bring in another guy. Then what as Barnes hasn't ripped up the league and we've had O line struggles. At least no team is running away with the east.

ArgoGabe22
08-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Gerald Riggs was back at practice. He looked good in preseason and better than Wes Cates.

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Was he seriously? I just knew it. I knew they wanted him back and most likely had to assure him a spot and not waste his time.

Rich
08-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Contrary to what Rich implied, there are many successful coaches who stick to their systems, and find players who fit those systems. It is not essential (or even advisable) to change a successful system to work around guys whose style is not a good fit. Milanovich has had a lot of success with his offence in the CFL and presumably has decided he is not going to start watering it down as soon as he gets a HC job. I commend his self-confidence -- time will tell if it is well-placed but I'm betting he will ultimately be proved right.

It is awfully simplistic to give Milanovich credit for the Montreal offence. It was real good before he got there, and it is real good after he left. He had receiving weapons like Richardson and Green at his disposal which the Argos simply do not have. Milanovich has admitted that he learned everything from Trestman, but I'll betcha if Trestman had a talent like Boyd in his backfield he would have schemed some running plays that took advantage of his talents.

Milanovich hasn't proven anything in this league yet, other than an apparent inability to deviate from his precious "system" where circumstances warrant it. If we had Richardson and Green here I'd say go ahead, go nuts, coach. But we have (or had) a different set of talents on this team, and the coach showed he is unable to adapt to them. You can't put a square peg into a round hole.

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 01:42 PM
I knew it would take time to grow this team and Rich is correct with the fact that Milanovich might have potential but he is a rookie who is sitting at 3-3 and cutting starters. Now if Riggs is back as suggested then why didn't they figure this out in camp. Why not bring players in that fit this type of system in camp. Now we'll have to find receivers because although I was a Barnes fan he has done squat. What next O line? This is stuff that has to be done in the offseason and camp. That's some serious tweeking when your dumping your starting star rb right out of the blue.

Well I've said a ton on this and I'm personally ready to move on and hope Milanovich knows what he's doing or looking for.

ArgoGabe22
08-13-2012, 01:43 PM
Was he seriously? I just knew it. I knew they wanted him back and most likely had to assure him a spot and not waste his time.

Yup saw it with my own two eyes plus...

Milanovich said <s>#</s>argos (https://twitter.com/search/?q=%23argos&src=hash) would be bringing in depth at RB. Being told Riggs, cut earlier, will have contract soon. Don't know if he will be PR

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 01:51 PM
This all could have been figured out in camp. I as well thought that Riggs looked great and that it could be Riggs and Kackert out of camp. Time to move it along and get it together now Argos.

Gill The Thrill
08-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Gerald Riggs was back at practice. He looked good in preseason and better than Wes Cates.

Did not catch the Argos pre-season games, but I did think his dad was a good running back with Atlanta Falcons in the late 80's. Good running style and pretty dominant. If he can adapt to being a versatile 3 down back who can catch passes while lining up in the backfield then maybe he could fit. I thought Kackert did an excellent job last year when he replaced an injured Boyd and showed tremendous versatility and movement required from a back in the CFL. Matt Dunigan and Duane Ford seem to think so also, Ford mentioned that Kackert also had a comparable avg yds per carry than Boyd at 6.1.

I hope they give him a chance and don't just dismiss his abilities the way some fans are, not all, but some. The ones that say he's a fumbler because he fumbled twice but then don't criticize others when they commit the same mistakes just as many times...you know who you are?

KCargosfan
08-13-2012, 02:18 PM
On Twitter, Sammy Tranks defended Boyd and expressed his disagreement to Murphy over his tweets so there were certainly teammates who liked Boyd. Jordan Younger also tweeted a nice message to Boyd.

Yeah, saw that. Murphy was one of the dirtiest players in CFL history during his heyday from everything I've heard, so why anyone would give him any credibility makes little sense.

I didn't say I would'nt end up in the hospital by the end of the night, but I'd still gain 50 yds..lol.:hi:

I just never liked the way he went after O'Shea in front of fans and in front of national TV audience, I thought that was very unprofessional on his part. I honestly thought that either one or the other would not be back before the start of this season. Truth be told, Boyd's talent is the only thing that kept him on the team, because most guys would've got axed after confronting a coach in the manner in which he did. Whether it was a personality issue, or a football move, it's clear Milanovich wanted to see different traits from a premiere back.

Boyd is a traditional American Football running back, in that he was mostly effective when handed off the ball, and not as effective as a pass receiver from the backfield. Looking at Milanovich's offensive philosophy in Montreal, he utilized his backs that showed some versatility for pass receiving from the backfield ala, Robert Haskins and Brandon Whitaker.

Cheers

That's understandable. I agree with your take on the offensive philosophy of Milanovich not meshing with Boyd's talents, but as Area 51 said on the cfl board, releasing Boyd does nothing to solve our horrible offensive line problems or problems at receiver.

It just would have made sense for us to actually get something for him.

I'm just in a bad mood as Boyd was my favorite player and now he plays for the Esks.

The cult of personality society that you mention is the reason why people are also getting hysterical over the release of a running back that may have been valuable on a team with just 9 wins and 6 wins over the past 2 seasons. The Argos had a record of 18-24 with Boyd as a member of the squad over parts of 2.33 seasons, and were 1-1 in the playoffs, narrowly escaping a playoff win at Ivor Wynn because the Ticats beat themelves, and then getting blown out the next week in Montreal. I think it's not the end of the world...Boyd was given a better QB to work with this season and his production was O.K, but not game breaking. I like a team and a coach in Milanovich who judges a player's productivity against the best team and the Grey Cup champion because it means he has high standards. He obviously did not like how the running game was going against BC and noticed too many 2 and outs from situations where the Argos were less than 2nd and 5. The only guy who was able to break tackles with any consistency and versatility was Owens who was getting creamed last game. Boyd could not even get open from the backfield to offer that and has had a slow first move all season.

And the flip side to that is the Argos were 10-3 when Boyd went for over 100. I'm not sure how cutting Boyd is going to improve the running game when our OL has gotten its ass kicked the last 6 quarters? And Kackert isn't a better blocker than Boyd.

Boyd did get open against BC in the field but was immediately hit by LBs or DBs. When BC's front 4 completely manhandles our OL and has no need to blitz LBs or DBs, that will happen.

People also seem to forget Ricky Ray threw 3 interceptions and had a fumble against BC. The biggest problem with the Argos is the OL.

jerrym
08-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Instead of finding ways to use this great offensive weapon, Milanovich seemed to approach the Argos running game as an afterthought. There was a complete lack of imagination there. From the shotgun formation, giving Boyd the ball from a standing start and sending him into the 1 or 2 hole, time after time after time, it is a testament to Boyd's abilities that he got as many yards as he did. I didn't see any attempt to get Boyd outside the tackles on a running play, whether a sweep or pitchout or some kind of misdirection. Watch the variety of running plays that Saskatchewan runs with their fine young back to see what should have been done here.
I can see where Boyd does not fit into this offence, but the problem for me is that this offence is too predictable, as noted above. During the BC game, the Lions pinned back their ears and rushed the qb on virtually every play, having figured out that Boyd wasn't going to get the ball often. With a weak Argo offensive line, their dominant defensive linemen could rush straight ahead and get to Ray quickly, often without any blitz. Even if Boyd had been blocking consistently, it would not have made much difference because in far too many cases there were two or three linemen converging on Ray. I accept that somebody might have a different viewpoint on this. However, both Boyd and Milanovich commented that Boyd was surprised when he was told he was cut. If that is the case, then that squarely lies at Milanovich's feet for failing to communicate. For example, the Atlanta Braves announcer revealed on Saturday that their manager told Juan Francisco, a borderline major leaguer who had failed to make it in Cinncinati, was on the verge of being cut because of poor batting and fielding practice efforts leading to poor game performance. Francisco responded by improving his practice efforts and game performance. While not all teams have had great success in redeeming players, the Braves have a reputation of giving players that other teams have given up on another chance, communicating clearly what is expected of them, and having success with them. The one time they failed to communicate with a player effectively (because of language problems with a Japanese player) they admitted it. This even attracts many players who have been cut by other teams and some stars who come as free agents, even sometimes for less money.

Most power running backs need to carry the ball a lot in order to wear down the defence so that they can overpower them at the end of the game when their team has the lead and the opponent knows that is what is going to happen. Without such a back and a weak offensive line, I predict the Argos will have trouble protecting leads near the end of games. While the Argos have a top qb, their set of receivers is improved but slightly below league average, and the their offensive line is weak, making a Montreal-style offence questionable at best in Argoland. While coaches can have success installing a new system, the best coaches, such as Wally Buono and the famous John Wooden in basketball, design their offences to support their personnel in order to achieve long-term success.

ArgoRavi
08-13-2012, 02:50 PM
I knew it would take time to grow this team and Rich is correct with the fact that Milanovich might have potential but he is a rookie who is sitting at 3-3 and cutting starters. Now if Riggs is back as suggested then why didn't they figure this out in camp. Why not bring players in that fit this type of system in camp. Now we'll have to find receivers because although I was a Barnes fan he has done squat. What next O line? This is stuff that has to be done in the offseason and camp. That's some serious tweeking when your dumping your starting star rb right out of the blue.

Well I've said a ton on this and I'm personally ready to move on and hope Milanovich knows what he's doing or looking for.

They believed in training camp that Boyd could play in this system. After six regular season games, they realized that he wasn't a good fit. They could only know that however after watching him play six regular season games which is why the move was made now rather than back in training camp. This kind of thing happens all the time (i.e., a player makes the team out of training camp but is later released during the regular season).

gilthethrill
08-13-2012, 03:04 PM
I know there were alot of ideas as to how to get Kackert in the lineup....I don't recall releasing Cory Boyd being one of them...watch the offence have its best game of the season Saturday night. Part of it may be out of fear.

QBall
08-13-2012, 03:18 PM
I would imagine you would have to do something pretty serious to have a team not even attempt to trade you. It's obvious from the fact Edmonton picked him up hours after being released that he had market value, and the Argos have plenty of holes to fill. Unfortunately I think all we'll get from Argos management as to why they would just drop him is just dodge and spin, however it seems whatever the reason was it seems it wasn't serious enough for the Eskimo organization. Then again Michael Vick was picked up by the Eagles, and I thought what he did would be too distasteful for any organization.

LLB997
08-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Well they may be keeping it in mind, but IMO they have done a very poor job in trying to actually implement a strong running game. Sending Boyd into the 1 and 2 holes out of the shotgun formation, over and over and over again, showed me that Milanovich was not really that interested in taking advantage of this player's huge talents. Apparently he's more interested in being the architect of some aerial circus that doesn't need a strong running game, but we have seen this approach fail more often than not in the CFL.

Great point, I totally agree. I personally consider the teams offence (running game) to be too regimented, like you said Boyd was being called to run the exact same play over and over. I mean it's great because he was getting the yardage but it just shows a lack of creativity and the running game has been transparent . Boyds yards were hard gains. He was taking a beating and fought for every yard because he was an easy read coming out of formation. I am not expecting or asking for what we had in 2010 when the sports media dubbed us the "smoke and mirror" Argos but the OC needs to as you said take advantage of the strengths he has at his disposal and maximize what he can get out of his talent.

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Maybe what Milanovich was saying is the reason. But why not attempt a trade even for a draft pick that Barker could waste next year.
Oh and Vick is a waste of skin. He was an adult who should know how to figure out right from wrong. He's comments after the fact were crap.

argotom
08-13-2012, 04:19 PM
I know there were alot of ideas as to how to get Kackert in the lineup....I don't recall releasing Cory Boyd being one of them...watch the offence have its best game of the season Saturday night. Part of it may be out of fear.

Agreed, we tossed having Kackert in the lineup and I suggested a dual back system.
Nowhere in the equation did releasing Boyd ever come up?
Hopefully this will be his moment to shine.

ArgoFan1
08-13-2012, 04:56 PM
A conspiracy theory hit me from way out there just now !!! Edmonton mysteriously hands Ricky Ray over to us. Now, mysteriously, Cory Boyd is let go and picked up instantly by the Eskimos . I'll take my tin foil hat off now.

RoRoYoBoat
08-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I would imagine you would have to do something pretty serious to have a team not even attempt to trade you. It's obvious from the fact Edmonton picked him up hours after being released that he had market value, and the Argos have plenty of holes to fill. Unfortunately I think all we'll get from Argos management as to why they would just drop him is just dodge and spin, however it seems whatever the reason was it seems it wasn't serious enough for the Eskimo organization. Then again Michael Vick was picked up by the Eagles, and I thought what he did would be too distasteful for any organization.

Edmonton picked up on of their import linesman at the prison doors last week after serving 90 days for assault.

It is awfully simplistic to give Milanovich credit for the Montreal offence. It was real good before he got there, and it is real good after he left. He had receiving weapons like Richardson and Green at his disposal which the Argos simply do not have. Milanovich has admitted that he learned everything from Trestman, but I'll betcha if Trestman had a talent like Boyd in his backfield he would have schemed some running plays that took advantage of his talents.

Milanovich hasn't proven anything in this league yet, other than an apparent inability to deviate from his precious "system" where circumstances warrant it. If we had Richardson and Green here I'd say go ahead, go nuts, coach. But we have (or had) a different set of talents on this team, and the coach showed he is unable to adapt to them. You can't put a square peg into a round hole.

Trestman released Larry Taylor right mid-season. Trestman's #1 criteria is Respect... That's how you build a place where people want to come work and bleed together every day. Toronto released a linesman that got in trouble with the law. Edmonton pick up theirs at the prison doors upon his release. Different standards. I like how this football team is being run. Everyone is accountable and everyone is treated the same.

ArgoGabe22
08-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Trestman released Larry Taylor right mid-season. Trestman's #1 criteria is Respect... That's how you build a place where people want to come work and bleed together every day. Toronto released a linesman that got in trouble with the law. Edmonton pick up theirs at the prison doors upon his release. Different standards. I like how this football team is being run. Everyone is accountable and everyone is treated the same.

Respect? How's Dwight Anderson still on the team? I thought he had problems with the coaching staff and then the spitting scandal.

doubleblue
08-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Jim Barker on the Fan 590 this morning (calling in from San Francisco scouting the NFL) said they had tried to trade Boyd to Edmonton but the players Tillman was trying to send back the Argos didn't want, so they just made a descision to release him and move on. He did some stickhandling but tried to leave the impression it was a football only move (Jim your pants are on fire) and it was a Coaches descision. That part was probably right.

OV Argo
08-13-2012, 06:15 PM
Great point, I totally agree. I personally consider the teams offence (running game) to be too regimented, like you said Boyd was being called to run the exact same play over and over. I mean it's great because he was getting the yardage but it just shows a lack of creativity and the running game has been transparent . Boyds yards were hard gains. He was taking a beating and fought for every yard because he was an easy read coming out of formation. I am not expecting or asking for what we had in 2010 when the sports media dubbed us the "smoke and mirror" Argos but the OC needs to as you said take advantage of the strengths he has at his disposal and maximize what he can get out of his talent.

Hey, hey !!! - how dare you guys question the HC or the OC or whatever desicion making aspect of this team; they are football professionals just trying to win, don't ya know. ;o)

Didn't some posters here who dared suggest, in the past year or so, that Cory Boyd not be annointed anything but the Argos #1 superstar tailback forever - when there were suggestions for other options on offence / RB - get called out, by some, as know-nothing fools ? - same goes for Barker, Millanovich or anybody in on making this move?

They believed in training camp that Boyd could play in this system. After six regular season games, they realized that he wasn't a good fit. They could only know that however after watching him play six regular season games which is why the move was made now rather than back in training camp. This kind of thing happens all the time (i.e., a player makes the team out of training camp but is later released during the regular season).

Ummm - no - it hardly happens "all the time"; it may happen on the odd occassion; but smart coaches - with the HC being in charge / final say - recognize talent or figure out which players are best for their "system" by the end of TC; league leading rushers - in the CFL or NFL - do NOT get realeased mid-season (unless it is a criminal / huge conflict type issue), and they don't try to make a player do something often that is not in his skill set - the sqaure peg in the round hole idea; you don't try to make a big, strong powerback into a shifty little tailback who is going to catch a lot of dink & dunks and make a lot of tacklers miss; you might expect a big back to be a good blocker - but not necessarily - some RBs' strengths are mostly pure running ability; you can however, platoon backs for different situations - have a big, tough blocking back in for some situations or a quick, shifty, good hands receiving back in for some plays; and if you want a big powerback in a lot of the game - might be a good idea to get him lots of carries - and not just the same basic old run play 8 to 10 carries a game.

I guess Millanovich - in all his vast & varied CFL / Canadian game experience - has his own style of offence though - and Boyd didn't fit - so now time to move on to another RB who may be a better fit - Kackert or Riggs i guess (won't be at all surprised to see some ex-NFL roster RB with zero CFL / this offence experience air-lifted in and annointed the savior - could work out i guess).

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Why is Edmonton the only team our GM deals with. Did he pick up a phone and call Winnipeg? Well Edmonton didn't want to deal who we wanted so we'll dump him into your lap.
I had to laugh at Forde analizing this stiuation and saying that import rb is the easiest position to fill. Then why have the Argos historically had one hell of a time finding stars.

tennyis
08-13-2012, 07:15 PM
The message sent to the team is nobodies job is safe if you play for the Argos... I wouldn't be surprised to see Chad Owens cut next. Sure he gets a lot of yards, but he's also a turn over machine and his return game has not been very good this year. His fumbles are way he never made it in the NFL this year... I don't get all the praise they give the guy he drops passes and fumbles... He just gets so many touches that he's bound to get some yards. I'd take Boyd over Owens ANY day.

OV Argo
08-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Why is Edmonton the only team our GM deals with. Did he pick up a phone and call Winnipeg? Well Edmonton didn't want to deal who we wanted so we'll dump him into your lap.
I had to laugh at Forde analizing this stiuation and saying that import rb is the easiest position to fill. Then why have the Argos historically had one hell of a time finding stars.

Pathetic cliches - all that "dime a dozen" crap, or whatever import position - heard it for RB, receiver, DB, D-Line - superstars are "easy" to find; please give it a rest.

marcwagz
08-13-2012, 07:22 PM
BARKER IS AN IDIOT
thats all there is too it, theres no excusing it.
Either he wants this team to lose and fail, or he is an idiot.
If you wanted the team to win, you wouldn't remove its star RB for an unproven back up.
If you wanted the team to be popular you wouldn't give away its 2nd most popular player for free.

The only possible option? Barker is an idiot.

RoRoYoBoat
08-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Respect? How's Dwight Anderson still on the team? I thought he had problems with the coaching staff and then the spitting scandal.

Because his teammates love him.

marcwagz
08-13-2012, 08:53 PM
okay im calmed down now
but really im still pissed
i think ill cheer for the eskimos know seeing how they are more the argonauts than the team in toronto now

Fungi
08-13-2012, 09:09 PM
okay im calmed down now
but really im still pissed
That makes sense...LOL
I'm in your boat.
But cheering for the shmoes...I draw the line.

LLB997
08-13-2012, 09:18 PM
The message sent to the team is nobodies job is safe if you play for the Argos... I wouldn't be surprised to see Chad Owens cut next. Sure he gets a lot of yards, but he's also a turn over machine and his return game has not been very good this year. His fumbles are way he never made it in the NFL this year... I don't get all the praise they give the guy he drops passes and fumbles... He just gets so many touches that he's bound to get some yards. I'd take Boyd over Owens ANY day.

I was thinking the same thing about Owens . Interestingly i heard on another forum from someone that they see Owens as Barker's golden boy. Barker making a star out of a Trestman castoff. I am not sure i agree but it was an interesting observation especially as i remember guys here posting about how Barker was almost gloating at the season ticket holders Q&A about fleecing Tillman. Personally for me Owens is the face for the club , he's a dynamic dude and a good player to market the club around. I hope the club could see a place and role for him for many yrs to come.

ArgoGabe22
08-13-2012, 09:26 PM
I remember coaching HS, we had to build the offence around our best player the runningback which was the Argos case two years in a row. Now with Ray its his offence. What I still don't get is why couldn't we use Boyd differently and maybe put Durie in as RB to catch passes and Johnson to block but I guess it would be too obvious. I'm only getting into coaching so I'm a rookie so I may not know much but that's what I would have done. I would have created plays that would have suited Boyd's style and then let Ray do his thing in the passing game.

KCargosfan
08-13-2012, 10:25 PM
I remember coaching HS, we had to build the offence around our best player the runningback which was the Argos case two years in a row. Now with Ray its his offence. What I still don't get is why couldn't we use Boyd differently and maybe put Durie in as RB to catch passes and Johnson to block but I guess it would be too obvious. I'm only getting into coaching so I'm a rookie so I may not know much but that's what I would have done. I would have created plays that would have suited Boyd's style and then let Ray do his thing in the passing game.

Sounds pretty much right on to me. Have you sent your resume in to the Argos?

argotom
08-13-2012, 10:34 PM

Precisely even though passing is the key in a 3 down league, one has to compliment the other.

KCargosfan
08-13-2012, 10:38 PM
Edmonton picked up on of their import linesman at the prison doors last week after serving 90 days for assault.

You're implying Boyd has done something illegal? Do tell.

RoRoYoBoat
08-13-2012, 11:08 PM
You're implying Boyd has done something illegal? Do tell.

Your completely out in left field, there are ways of asking for clarity if you don't understand a post. I'm talking about the Argos cutting Edawn Coughman.

KCargosfan
08-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Your completely out in left field, there are ways of asking for clarity if you don't understand a post. I'm talking about the Argos cutting Edawn Coughman.

It was said sarcastically, guess I should have put in the smile face. But not sure what that post and your following one has to do with this thread.

ArgoRavi
08-14-2012, 12:36 AM

I don't think that the Argos have done too badly with the likes of Cedric Minter, Gill Fenerty, Mike Clemons and Michael Jenkins. Hopefully Kackert and/or Riggs will be the next star(s). They could also try to get Decori Birmingham to come back to the team as he was ahead of Boyd on the depth chart two years ago before he had to leave the team. :)

Stevoman
08-14-2012, 02:21 AM
I was thinking the same thing about Owens . Interestingly i heard on another forum from someone that they see Owens as Barker's golden boy. Barker making a star out of a Trestman castoff. I am not sure i agree but it was an interesting observation especially as i remember guys here posting about how Barker was almost gloating at the season ticket holders Q&A about fleecing Tillman. Personally for me Owens is the face for the club , he's a dynamic dude and a good player to market the club around. I hope the club could see a place and role for him for many yrs to come.

While Boyd has been out to many community events, so has Owens. I too see him as one of the main faces of the franchise and he seems to have the kind of personality to embrace that role and not do something that will embarrass the club. Fumbles aside, I am so glad that he is on our team and having the kind of season that he is having.

argolio
08-14-2012, 02:35 AM
The shocking thing to me is that after 21 pages, no one has blamed Spencer Watt yet!

gilthethrill
08-14-2012, 06:49 AM
The shocking thing to me is that after 21 pages, no one has blamed Spencer Watt yet!

Hey, didn't Watt get flagged for a block from behind which negated a big gain by Boyd against the Lions??? Had that not happened, none of this would have taken place!!!! :)

AngeloV
08-14-2012, 08:10 AM

Hey, didn't Watt get flagged for a block from behind which negated a big gain by Boyd against the Lions??? Had that not happened, none of this would have taken place!!!! :)

Awesome stuff here. I was going to blame Cleo Lemon myself.

marcwagz
08-14-2012, 09:06 AM
seriously does anyone know a reason that would make sense?
this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
Why would they do this? Why at least not trade him, we could've surely got a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick at least.

gilthethrill
08-14-2012, 09:09 AM
Why would they do this? Why at least not trade him, we could've surely got a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick at least.

Marc, take the time to read the other posts on this topic, the majority of them are informative.

paulwoods13
08-14-2012, 09:49 AM
The sky is still falling.

RoRoYoBoat
08-14-2012, 09:55 AM

They tried to trade him. Most teams are happy with their running back, leaving one potential team interested. He's an American making 50 percent more than the other RB in the league. He has a little more than half a season left to his contract and the Argos were not interested in picking up the contracts of the players offered.

paulwoods13
08-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Mr. Woods,

3. I know many coaches have but how many rookie head coaches? This is just a managment style. As a manager, that is what I do at work. I know sports is different. Again, just different philosophy in getting the job done.

2. The reason I say about marketing is the TEAM is trying to also win back a city. If it is because of Boyd's issues then they sould have thought about that ahead of time and not used him so much on the marketing side. I am thinking about all the fans who have seen the team do this and bought a shirt with his digit and name. As I said, they knew what Boyd could and could not do and the team has no plan in place and made this move.

1. Boyd has been quiet on twitter. Boyd has said and done questionable things, I have cringed at a few things he has behaved. I know you have an issue with his personality but he has showed up to play and has tried to make the team a winner.

Re 3: A head coach either believes in his system or he doesn't. Whether he's a rookie HC is irrelevant. I imagine Bill Walsh and Don Matthews, to give just two of many possible examples, believed in and stuck with their systems from the moment they became head coaches. A rookie HC who backtracks on what he believes in just six weeks into his career is not likely to be successful.

Re 2: No one is arguing that the Argos are trying to win back fan support. But any decisions they made to market Boyd were made completely apart from whether or not he could fit the offensive scheme and block well when o-line protection broke down. Apparently it took six games to determine that he could not. Some here are suggesting they should have known that well before now, like in training camp. I don't think it's that simple. Did he give the same effort in Week 6 as he did in Week 1? It looked to me the last couple of games like he was mailing it in.

Re 1: Boyd may have been "quiet" and respectful on Twitter lately, but that was not always the case last season, when he openly called out the coaches for not using him properly. Whether or not he was right or wrong in that belief, it is completely unacceptable to take such matters outside the locker room and into the public domain, IMO

I guess by that logic we can't give Marc Trestman any credit, either. After all, he got to Montreal a year after Milanovich did.

Sure, the Mtl offence has been good for a long time, and it has had good talent. But coaching schemes have had a fair bit to do with its success.

By saying Milanovich has "showed he is unable to adapt" to different type of talent than he had in Montreal, are you declaring him a failure already? Six games in?

Rich
08-14-2012, 10:45 AM
By saying Milanovich has "showed he is unable to adapt" to different type of talent than he had in Montreal, are you declaring him a failure already? Six games in?

Well we will see, won't we? By dumping arguably the team's best and most popular player, he has put his neck and his precious "system" on the line. And he has clearly angered a lot of Argonaut supporters, including me. He needs to put a string of wins together in order to mollify the fans and to prove he knows what he's doing.

1argoholic
08-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Ok firstly I like Kackert but what if he starts fumbling. Remember that classic fumble on the Montreal one yard line last year that had a perfect Als bounce right into a db's waiting arms and was brought back for a td. This move could go well or blow up bigtime. To dump a proven guy for the unknown is a bit scary.

paulwoods13
08-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Well we will see, won't we? By dumping arguably the team's best and most popular player, he has put his neck and his precious "system" on the line. And he has clearly angered a lot of Argonaut supporters, including me. He needs to put a string of wins together in order to mollify the fans and to prove he knows what he's doing.

I don't know how many people would actually argue that Boyd is a better player than Ray, but OK. He was definitely one of the most popular players on the team (albeit behind Owens, IMO) but as I've posted elsewhere, popularity is not a good reason to keep a player in the lineup. I'm sure the Argos are sorry they angered some fans, but winning will sort that out. If the team loses a lot of games and Boyd succeeds mightily in Edmonton, this will be the beginning of the end for Milanovich. I'm betting that won't turn out to be the case.

RoRoYoBoat
08-14-2012, 12:42 PM

As opposed to the success the Argos had with Boyd and the previous system ?

Wobbler
08-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Good grief. I'm much more optimistic than Rich is, but he's right that this is a major test of management's ability to improve the team. Releasing Boyd was a pretty radical move for a team that has played pretty well and could easily have been 5-1. I don't think we need a "string of wins" to justify this move, but if the team doesn't get noticeably better we'll have irritated some fans for no reason.

RICKEARS
08-14-2012, 01:30 PM
here is new video of him in EDM

Cory Boyd joins the Eskimos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KM6m9A14o&feature=g-upl

Guessing most people on here will be at the next home game Aug 27 vs EDM?

gilthethrill
08-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Good grief. I'm much more optimistic than Rich is, but he's right that this is a major test of management's ability to improve the team. Releasing Boyd was a pretty radical move for a team that has played pretty well and could easily have been 5-1. I don't think we need a "string of wins" to justify this move, but if the team doesn't get noticeably better we'll have irritated some fans for no reason.

Wobbler, I agree on most of your post, except the line where "the team has played pretty well". The offence has under achieved for the majority of the season. Something with it just has not been right.

RoRoYoBoat
08-14-2012, 02:49 PM
Wobbler, I agree on most of your post, except the line where "the team has played pretty well". The offence has under achieved for the majority of the season. Something with it just has not been right.

You add 250 yards receiving from Boyd and the team might very well have been 5-1, yes.

1argoholic
08-14-2012, 02:59 PM
Could they not see that Boyd wasn't the guy in training camp? He didn't change from then until now. This could have been all said,done and over with. Milanovich said today that they didn't want to release Riggs but it was a numbers thing. They blew the call out of camp and obviously our backs should have been Kachert and Riggs from the start for this new fangled system.

Rich
08-14-2012, 03:11 PM
You add 250 yards receiving from Boyd and the team might very well have been 5-1, yes.

Yeah, and maybe if our genius OC had designed a running play for Boyd other than sending him into the middle of the line, he would have had another 250 yards rushing, too.

paulwoods13
08-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Could they not see that Boyd wasn't the guy in training camp? He didn't change from then until now. This could have been all said,done and over with. Milanovich said today that they didn't want to release Riggs but it was a numbers thing. They blew the call out of camp and obviously our backs should have been Kachert and Riggs from the start for this new fangled system.

That's a false premise, IMO. People change all the time. It's entirely possible that Boyd bought into the system, including blocking requirements of the tailback, in camp and through the first few weeks of the season, then for whatever reason stopped doing what was required and gave no indication he was going to resume. Player performance (and effort) can be very fluid. It's easy to say this should have been done in camp (or before) but there's another possibility here -- that the best back in camp won the job, but by Week 6 he was no longer the best back on the team.

AngeloV
08-14-2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah, and maybe if our genius OC had designed a running play for Boyd other than sending him into the middle of the line, he would have had another 250 yards rushing, too.

Boyd is a power back. He is not the type of back that you run wide. He just doesn't have the quickness for it. Look at his college hi-lights. Milanovich designed the same offence in Montreal. Why is it that Coborne and Whittaker have had no problems taking those short 2 yard passes and turning them into big gains? Time will tell if this move is right or not.

jerrym
08-14-2012, 04:43 PM
For those who say Boyd was not much of a receiver, I disagree. When given the ball in swing and downfield passes the last two years and in college he did a good job both catching the ball and getting YAC yards. He obviously is not suited to dump passes where he has to start from a standstill position. Some also criticized his 160 yards against Hamilton, saying Hamilton has a weak defence against the run. During that game, once he got angry early in the game over a hit he sometimes carried 4 or 5 players for extra yards and even across the goal-line. On the other hand, he sometimes seems to need some event to get him motivated.

R.J
08-14-2012, 06:33 PM
Better audio.
http://www.esks.com/video/index/id/77213

Check out the August 13th Edition of Doug Brown's spin show, half way through they start discussing Boyd and within the last 4 minutes, Brown and January get "confirmation" and I use that term lightly about why Boyd was cut, an Arland Bruce comparison is made as well.
http://www.cjob.com/Shows/Episodes.aspx?PID=1390

Boyd on Cybulski & co. with Bryan Hayes
http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/CC%20Cory%20Boyd%20Aug%2014.mp3

TSN videos
http://watch.tsn.ca/cfl-news-and-highlights/#clip739941
http://watch.tsn.ca/cfl-news-and-highlights/#clip739808

1argoholic
08-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Sounds like a fun show. Do they still have The Happy Honker Show after games. Winnipeg was my Western team until they got stuck in the east. Plenty of Winnipeg history in my family and my moms hometown. We're both hige Argo fans though.
I'll have to listen longer later to hear the Boyd stuff.

ArgoRavi
08-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Basically, Glen January said that his source in the Argo dressing room - a defensive player - said that Boyd was not a good blocker and had no interest in performing that task. I guess January wasn't a fan of Arland Bruce's either when they were teammates in Toronto and that is where the comparison to Boyd comes in - i.e., they are both bad teammates.

tennyis
08-14-2012, 08:31 PM
As opposed to the success the Argos had with Boyd and the previous system ?

when they gave him enough hand offs for him to rush over 100 yards they are 10-3.

OV Argo
08-14-2012, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=tennyis;13904]when they gave him enough hand offs for him to rush over 100 yards they are 10-3.[/QUOTEe]

Yep - but that would mean an offensive game plan that sees your tailback getting 15+ carries a game; not really in the cards for a Millanovich style offence seems to me; time to move on with a different style back and see if pays off; Kackert might be that guy; don't know anything about Riggs - other than some good TC reports; Durie might be ideal as that shifty, quick YAC yards type receiving back - plus i think he could be very good as a pure runner - but i guess they are happy with his role as more of a slotback; could move him to tailback and put somebody else in his place at slot - Bradwell or whoever; but i don't think a NI is going to get a starting tailback gig with this Argo O.

BATKINSON001
08-14-2012, 10:06 PM
I still think this will hurt the argos. time will tell however.

ArgoZ
08-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Pinball would be great in this offence. Remember when he used to catch all those hitches and shovel passes from Flutie? He would always, always juke the first defender.

Rich
08-14-2012, 11:28 PM
Boyd is a power back. He is not the type of back that you run wide. He just doesn't have the quickness for it. Look at his college hi-lights. Milanovich designed the same offence in Montreal. Why is it that Coborne and Whittaker have had no problems taking those short 2 yard passes and turning them into big gains? Time will tell if this move is right or not.

Yes I remember watching Boyd at South Carolina running the option -- a lot. I don't have to explain to you what an option play is. Yes he's a power back, but a bit of a hybrid. He's got decent downfield speed, but not the quick moves to beat a guy from a standing start like on those two-yard check downs. That's why some of us consider it a failure that the coaching staff couldn't take advantage of his strengths by giving him some different looks carrying the ball. I'm not saying sending him wide all the time. I'm saying mix it up a little. Milanovich and his staff didn't, or couldn't do it.

Tell me honestly, Angelo, you're a smart football man: do you think the Argonauts showed enough variety in their running plays this year?

Basically, Glen January said that his source in the Argo dressing room - a defensive player - said that Boyd was not a good blocker and had no interest in performing that task. I guess January wasn't a fan of Arland Bruce's either when they were teammates in Toronto and that is where the comparison to Boyd comes in - i.e., they are both bad teammates.

Ah yes, Arland Bruce, the last time the team unceremoniously dumped my favourite player in mid season. I remember it well. I remember everyone here saying good riddance, he is done, washed up anyway. I remember everyone here saying Bruce was a cancer on the team and a disruptive, polarizing force in the dressing room. Pity the poor team that picked up this disturber.

Let me remind you what happened. Bruce went on to become a two-time CFL all-star for the first time in his career. He was praised and loved by teammates, and called a model player and citizen by no less than Bob O'Billovich and Wally Buono.

The scapegoaters here were dead wrong about Bruce. The Argonauts have been paying for his absence ever since. Now, anyone want to take bets on how Boyd is gonna do in Edmonton?

jerrym
08-14-2012, 11:51 PM
It is interesting that Milt Stegall, who was the leading receiver all-time when he retired and therefore would seem to know something about receiving, called Cory Boyd, after the Hamilton game, the best all-round running back in the league. He expanded on that by saying he was, in his opinion, not the fastest or even necessarily most powerful runner, nor the best receiver, nor the best blocker but the best combination of these three traits. In view of Rich's comment about Arland Bruce, it will be most interesting to follow what happens to Cory in Edmonton.

AngeloV
08-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Yes I remember watching Boyd at South Carolina running the option -- a lot. I don't have to explain to you what an option play is. Yes he's a power back, but a bit of a hybrid. He's got decent downfield speed, but not the quick moves to beat a guy from a standing start like on those two-yard check downs. That's why some of us consider it a failure that the coaching staff couldn't take advantage of his strengths by giving him some different looks carrying the ball. I'm not saying sending him wide all the time. I'm saying mix it up a little. Milanovich and his staff didn't, or couldn't do it.

Tell me honestly, Angelo, you're a smart football man: do you think the Argonauts showed enough variety in their running plays this year?

I don't believe Boyd was released because of their running game. As I have mentioned earlier, their are 5 of the other 7 backs in the league that have more yards from scrimmage than Boyd. I've watched every game this season, and I don't see those backs necessarily being used differently in the pass game than Boyd. The major difference is that their first step after catching the ball in the backfield has been considerably quicker than Boyd's. The argos are looking for more all around production from that spot. Now, if Kackert of Riggs or anyone else doesn't improve the overall production, then, and only then, will this prove to have been a bad football decision. Until then, let's wait and see.

KCargosfan
08-15-2012, 12:22 AM

Yeah, it had nothing to do with Prefontaine missing kicks against Edmonton and Hamilton or shitty special teams coverage against Hamilton. It's all on Boyd and some mythical theory you've come up with about a certain number of dump passes that should go for a certain amount of yards.

I don't believe Boyd was released because of their running game. As I have mentioned earlier, their are 5 of the other 7 backs in the league that have more yards from scrimmage than Boyd. I've watched every game this season, and I don't see those backs necessarily being used differently in the pass game than Boyd. The major difference is that their first step after catching the ball in the backfield has been considerably quicker than Boyd's. The argos are looking for more all around production from that spot. Now, if Kackert of Riggs or anyone else doesn't improve the overall production, then, and only then, will this prove to have been a bad football decision. Until then, let's wait and see.

It seems to me like we made a panic move due to the BC game when there was no reason to yet. Pre makes one kick against Edmonton and we are 4-2 and he makes another against Hamilton and we are likely 5-1.

If there was a panic move to be made it would have been on the offensive line. The last 6 quarters that unit has played pitifully.

You're a smarter football man than I am, AV, but Boyd was asked to block a lot the first six games and I'm thinking Kackert isn't as good a blocker as Boyd.

1argoholic
08-15-2012, 12:49 AM
From some of the lowlights I saw of Boyds blocking it wasn't good at all. He just looked lost on the plays they showed from various games. Kackert might surprise. You don't have to knock a guy on his rump but you have to attempt to get infront of him. Perhaps it's a combination of things but they didn't allow Cory to grow with the new system. Rays now as moblie as other Argo qb's that Boyd has played with. This Grey Cup 100 panic maybe had them wanting to drastically change things up. Hell I don't know and it's all I've been thinking of since this came down.
At this point I wish Boyd and Kackert great luck.

argolio
08-15-2012, 01:10 AM
The scapegoaters here were dead wrong about Bruce. The Argonauts have been paying for his absence ever since.If we were dead wrong about Bruce, he wouldn't have sulked his way out of Hamilton after an 86-catch season.

And in his last full season with the Argos, he caught a career-high 92 passes, but we won a whopping total of four games. Why couldn't your difference maker get us at least a respectable record?

AngeloV
08-15-2012, 10:30 AM
It seems to me like we made a panic move due to the BC game when there was no reason to yet. Pre makes one kick against Edmonton and we are 4-2 and he makes another against Hamilton and we are likely 5-1.

If there was a panic move to be made it would have been on the offensive line. The last 6 quarters that unit has played pitifully.

You're a smarter football man than I am, AV, but Boyd was asked to block a lot the first six games and I'm thinking Kackert isn't as good a blocker as Boyd.

I don't know if I agree with this. If anyone heard Milanovich's post game comments after each of the last 3 games, he said that the running game was not good enough. At the time I thought nothing of it, but obviously Milanovich wasn't happy with the production he was getting there.

paulwoods13
08-15-2012, 10:45 AM
. . . I'm thinking Kackert isn't as good a blocker as Boyd.

Based on what, KC? Have you seen Kackert block?

Rich
08-15-2012, 11:27 AM
I don't know if I agree with this. If anyone heard Milanovich's post game comments after each of the last 3 games, he said that the running game was not good enough. At the time I thought nothing of it, but obviously Milanovich wasn't happy with the production he was getting there.

Well which is it, Angelo? Four posts above you say:

I don't believe Boyd was released because of their running game.

So I'll ask you again: Do you think the running plays the Argos ran in the first six games took full advantage of Boyd's talents?

Because my point is if they had shown some different looks with the running game, they would likely have had more success running the ball, and they wouldn't have needed to rely so heavily on the 2-yard checkdowns that Boyd struggled with. Why not take full advantage of the talent on hand instead of trying to put a square peg in a round hole, and making a guy do something that is not his strength, all in the name of implementing a pet "system"?

If we were dead wrong about Bruce, he wouldn't have sulked his way out of Hamilton after an 86-catch season.

And in his last full season with the Argos, he caught a career-high 92 passes, but we won a whopping total of four games. Why couldn't your difference maker get us at least a respectable record?

Wrong again, Argolio. Hamilton decided they were going with some younger cheaper guys. Bellefeuille and Obie went out of their way to praise Bruce as a model citizen. You could look it up.

Bruce is an odd cat, like Boyd is, not your usual rah-rah type personality, but other teams don't seem to have as much trouble with these types as the Argonauts seem to have.

As for Bruce's last season, we would have had 2 wins that season without him. IMO Bruce would have been good for 2 extra wins per season for the Argonauts had he stayed.

Yeah, it had nothing to do with Prefontaine missing kicks against Edmonton and Hamilton or shitty special teams coverage against Hamilton. It's all on Boyd and some mythical theory you've come up with about a certain number of dump passes that should go for a certain amount of yards.

Didn't they address the kicking deficiency ? You address all problems as they present themselves. Milanovich is a detail oriented coach. Expect more changes to the Offensive line and the receiving group and more changes at the RB position if Kackert can't get it done. Boyd admitted to Reed and Tillman that he made some mistakes in Toronto BTW.

1argoholic
08-15-2012, 12:05 PM
If you watch his attempts at blocking in the video that TSN is showing you can see why he's gone. I have to admit I was watching something else during the live tv broadcast. Boyd looked lost or that he wasn't trying. It wasn't just against one team either. Top that with not getting along with certain guys and your gone. We can't keep harping on this Lemon, Bishop,Bruce as they are all dead when it comes to The Toronto Argonauts Football Club. The past is the past you move on you don't flog a dead horse. This is sports today turnover all the time.

Gill The Thrill
08-15-2012, 01:10 PM

It was not really a panic move, as it was done intentionally after their bye week...This was not some impromptu decision that was made after the game because of one incident or situation. Perhaps Milanovich noticed a trending pattern of negligence that Boyd was displaying in his blocking assignments and decided that he best get it out of the way now before it affects the results of the rest of the season.

I think the Argos, based on how strong their defence is can contend for first place in the east, and probably win the division with some better offence. I'd rather have to fix up an offence that's struggling after a 3rd of the season, than repair a piss-poor run defence which is what the Ticats need to do.
As I previously mentioned, Milanovich is setting a high standard of work ethic and performance and that's great to see. I'm tired of the MLSE and Rogers mentality with other sports teams in Toronto, the mentality of let's just be a .500 team and then hope that we can get in the playoffs, and then hope that anything can happen...Milanovich, based on this harsh decision wants to have a first place club that will dominate in all phases of the game.

The cutting of Cory Boyd may be viewed as negative by some, and they may feel that Boyd is being made as a scapegoat, but it sends a message that nobody is bigger than the team and that their is a process that needs to be followed before arriving at desired results. Yes, Boyd had performed well as an Argonaut, but the team results were not achieved in his tenure here...is that all Boyd's fault, of course not, but those are the facts. Milanovich obviously has a plan and that's superb, better than what we've seen in the last 4 years from the Argo sidelines in terms of running a team.

As far as, saying that if this happened or that happened, the Argos would be 5-1 is erroneous because they did not happen. It's the old saying, "if its and buts were candies and nuts." I'm also reminded of what Don Cherry said after his 1979 NHL Semi-Final series loss in Game 7 vs Montreal, when a reporter told him that his Bruins would have won the series if he had started another goalie (Gilles Gilbert) in the first 2 games. His response was "If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle," which in other words means you can't change what's already happened in the past.

KCargosfan
08-15-2012, 01:14 PM
You address all problems as they present themselves. Milanovich is a detail oriented coach. Expect more changes to the Offensive line and the receiving group and more changes at the RB position if Kackert can't get it done. Boyd admitted to Reed and Tillman that he made some mistakes in Toronto BTW.

I hope that you are right, as imo the biggest problem on the Argos is the OL.

It was not really a panic move, as it was done intentionally after their bye week...This was not some impromptu decision that was made after the game because of one incident or situation. Perhaps Milanovich noticed a trending pattern of negligence that Boyd was displaying in his blocking assignments and decided that he best get it out of the way now before it affects the results of the rest of the season.

I think the Argos, based on how strong their defence is can contend for first place in the east, and probably win the division with some better offence. I'd rather have to fix up an offence that's struggling after a 3rd of the season, than repair a piss-poor run defence which is what the Ticats need to do.
As I previously mentioned, Milanovich is setting a high standard of work ethic and performance and that's great to see. I'm tired of the MLSE and Rogers mentality with other sports teams in Toronto, the mentality of let's just be a .500 team and then hope that we can get in the playoffs, and then hope that anything can happen...Milanovich, based on this harsh decision wants to have a first place club that will dominate in all phases of the game.

The cutting of Cory Boyd may be viewed as negative by some, and they may feel that Boyd is being made as a scapegoat, but it sends a message that nobody is bigger than the team and that their is a process that needs to be followed before arriving at desired results. Yes, Boyd had performed well as an Argonaut, but the team results were not achieved in his tenure here...is that all Boyd's fault, of course not, but those are the facts. Milanovich obviously has a plan and that's superb, better than what we've seen in the last 4 years from the Argo sidelines in terms of running a team.

As far as, saying that if this happened or that happened, the Argos would be 5-1 is erroneous because they did not happen. It's the old saying, "if its and buts were candies and nuts." I'm also reminded of what Don Cherry said after his 1979 NHL Semi-Final series loss in Game 7 vs Montreal, when a reporter told him that his Bruins would have won the series if he had started another goalie (Gilles Gilbert) in the first 2 games. His response was "If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle," which in other words means you can't change what's already happened in the past.

Interesting post, Gill The Thrill. Just fyi, to address your 4th paragraph, my response was to RORO saying something along the lines of if Boyd had 250 more receiving yards we might be 5-1.

However, I still do not like this move and still do not see how this fixes our OLINE problem which is clearly the biggest problem on the team. And I do agree with Rich in that it seems Milanovich was not using Boyd's strengths.

Based on what, KC? Have you seen Kackert block?

I addressed this in the other thread, pw13, but can answer here as well if you want.

RoRoYoBoat
08-15-2012, 01:28 PM
I hope that you are right, as imo the biggest problem on the Argos is the OL.

I agree. I wrote on here that if the Argos didn't provide superb protection to Ray. Getting him was pointless. I did not expect them to take so many penalties and play dirty. Both are signs that they can't do the job. I would not be surprised if they decide to adjust the ratio if things don't improve over the next two games. Play Boulay and use an import tackle. They've also signed Feoli-Guidino who is finaly healthy. So they have some options in a couple areas.

KCargosfan
08-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Because my point is if they had shown some different looks with the running game, they would likely have had more success running the ball, and they wouldn't have needed to rely so heavily on the 2-yard checkdowns that Boyd struggled with. Why not take full advantage of the talent on hand instead of trying to put a square peg in a round hole, and making a guy do something that is not his strength, all in the name of implementing a pet "system"?

I agree with your take on our offense.

One mistake Milanovich seems to have made is thinking we can run Montreal's system without its personnel. We don't have the offensive line that Montreal has/had and we definitely don't have the receivers.

RoRoYoBoat
08-15-2012, 01:51 PM
I agree with your take on our offense.

One mistake Milanovich seems to have made is thinking we can run Montreal's system without its personnel. We don't have the offensive line that Montreal has/had and we definitely don't have the receivers.

When Trestman brought that system to Montreal he was 3-3 after the first six games. Milanovich has an identical record with 3-3 in a division that is much tougher this season than it was in 2008, where the other 3 teams were poor. Maybe people need to give him some time before judging him. So far he's done a very good job.

argotom
08-15-2012, 02:15 PM
If you watch his attempts at blocking in the video that TSN is showing you can see why he's gone. I have to admit I was watching something else during the live tv broadcast. Boyd looked lost or that he wasn't trying. It wasn't just against one team either. Top that with not getting along with certain guys and your gone. We can't keep harping on this Lemon, Bishop,Bruce as they are all dead when it comes to The Toronto Argonauts Football Club. The past is the past you move on you don't flog a dead horse. This is sports today turnover all the time.

Yes I saw this also on TSN.
Man he looked lost on some of the assignments and couldn't block a dummy?

paulwoods13
08-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Yes I saw this also on TSN.
Man he looked lost on some of the assignments and couldn't block a dummy?

Precisely. (Not to mention he blames the o-line and the scheme.)

In some of those plays, a man of his size and strength could easily have gained leverage on the guy he was supposed to be picking up -- instead he either tried to go low, without success, or basically watched the guy run past him. I suspect we're going to see more of this from Schultz on Thursday's pregame. Maybe then some of the folks who in a panic wanted Barker and Milanovich to walk the plank will concede there might have been valid reasons to make this move.

RoRoYoBoat
08-15-2012, 02:49 PM

In some of those plays, a man of his size and strength could easily have gained leverage on the guy he was supposed to be picking up -- instead he either tried to go low, without success, or basically watched the guy run past him. I suspect we're going to see more of this from Schultz on Thursday's pregame. Maybe then some of the folks who in a panic wanted Barker and Milanovich to walk the plank will concede there might have been valid reasons to make this move.

What GM or Coach want's to release a talented and popular player? That is an answer in itself.

gilthethrill
08-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Is the video on the TSN website? I would like to view that, but can't seem to locate it.

RoRoYoBoat
08-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Go to the cfl section in the horizontal links and click on the video called "The elephant in the room" on the right side of the screen.

1argoholic
08-15-2012, 04:22 PM
He doesn't have to knock the rusher down but it would be nice if he actually tried to get in the way. He seemed to concerned to get open for a pass or something. He would have had to do this in college wouldn't he? Edmonton will play to his strengths and shuffle him in and out.

gilthethrill
08-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Go to the cfl section in the horizontal links and click on the video called "The elephant in the room" on the right side of the screen.

Thanks RoRo....wow, that one player where the Montreal player just walked past him....pretty interesting stuff.

ArgoRavi
08-15-2012, 04:55 PM
He doesn't have to knock the rusher down but it would be nice if he actually tried to get in the way. He seemed to concerned to get open for a pass or something. He would have had to do this in college wouldn't he? Edmonton will play to his strengths and shuffle him in and out.

At least initially and perhaps for the rest of the season, Boyd won't be an every-down back for the Esks so I agree with your bolded comment above.

Rich
08-15-2012, 05:30 PM
Wow, Edmonton will play to his strengths, what a novel and intriguing concept, too bad the geniuses running our team didn't think of it.

AngeloV
08-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Wow, Edmonton will play to his strengths, what a novel and intriguing concept, too bad the geniuses running our team couldn't figure out how to do it.

Well, not everyone can know football as well as you Rich.

KCargosfan
08-15-2012, 07:42 PM
When Trestman brought that system to Montreal he was 3-3 after the first six games. Milanovich has an identical record with 3-3 in a division that is much tougher this season than it was in 2008, where the other 3 teams were poor. Maybe people need to give him some time before judging him. So far he's done a very good job.

I'm not calling Milanovich a failure, but this OLINE has been terrible, and outside of 1.5 quarters against Montreal, the offense in general hasn't done much the last 3 games. There doesn't seem to have been much to address this.

I will be the first one to point out that anything we did against Winnipeg, including Boyd and the entire offense, should be thrown out the window as you can't really expect much from football players on 3 days rest.

So we've had 2 really good games of offense (Calgary, Hamilton), 1 horrible game (BC), 1 subpar game (Ed) and 1 average game (Montreal).

Against Hamilton, he goes low without success, not a great block. Against BC, the LB or DB was coming on a full sprint, if he hadn't gone low, he would have gotten killed. Against Montreal he looked lost -- that one was bad.

I saw 3 plays. Not sure that is cut worthy.

If we show every Ricky Ray interception this year against nothing else, he's going to look bad as well.

Still don't like this move.

Rich
08-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Well, not everyone can know football as well as you Rich.

At least I don't pretend that I have some kind of special credibility because I played the game.

Fungi
08-15-2012, 08:31 PM
I don`t quite understand attacking other people because their opinions differ. A few light jabs, fine, but this grumpy old man routine isn`t much fun.

AngeloV
08-15-2012, 08:50 PM
At least I don't pretend that I have some kind of special credibility because I played the game.

Maybe if you had played the game, you might know something about it.

Argocister
08-15-2012, 09:05 PM
Okay and now for something completely different........ ( just told my age )
Can you imagine being in the room......
SM .... "Hey Jim, I want to cut Cory." ......
I am sure , there was much discussion and various case scenarios on this release. It would've been interesting to be a fly on the wall during these discussions.
In the long run, I believe SM has the balls to make sure the team wins.I like the quick action ...... Even though it's too bad CB3 couldn't fit with the system. I like CB3 but ...... if the Ferrari can't make it down my km long gravel lane way, I'm not keeping it.

OV Argo
08-15-2012, 10:03 PM
I don`t quite understand attacking other people because their opinions differ. A few light jabs, fine, but this grumpy old man routine isn`t much fun.

Yeah - fine to have differing opinions - and i come here to read lots of different perspectives; but the totally dismissive stuff cause you don't agree with somebody else's opinion ...

LLB997
08-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Everyone here has a valid opinion. Playing the game only means your opinion is just as good but your knees are worse.

argotom
08-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Maybe if you had played the game, you might know something about it.

Why do you repeatedly have to get down in the gutter when you disagree with someone?
I don't get it?
We all have an opinion, there is no right or wrong?
Try being civil my friend.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8