PDA

View Full Version : Is Barker GMing under the influence?

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 02:18 PM
What the hell? How long does he last if this move blows up in his face?

ArgoRavi
08-12-2012, 03:58 PM
What the hell? How long does he last if this move blows up in his face?

It is safe to say that this was not solely Barker's decision.

OV Argo
08-12-2012, 05:09 PM
It is safe to say that this was not solely Barker's decision.

IF the main reason is that Boyd was not a "fit" for the new Argo offence - how the hell did it have to take 6 games into the reg. season to determine this ??? - why not figure that out pre-TC, or even a bit into TC after trying - and then make a trade to get something of value for Boyd if he is such not a fit ??? Or why was not Kackert given a shot by now to see if he was a better fit?

Very, very questionable move by both Barker (who was the HC who used Boyd RB) and the new HC - for not seeing or getting this; and making such a move close to mid-season - when you have to get a new back in sync with O; not to mention the PR/optics of cutting the league's leading rusher and a popular player with the fans.

paulwoods13
08-12-2012, 06:48 PM
IF the main reason is that Boyd was not a "fit" for the new Argo offence - how the hell did it have to take 6 games into the reg. season to determine this ??? - why not figure that out pre-TC, or even a bit into TC after trying - and then make a trade to get something of value for Boyd if he is such not a fit ??? Or why was not Kackert given a shot by now to see if he was a better fit?

Very, very questionable move by both Barker (who was the HC who used Boyd RB) and the new HC - for not seeing or getting this; and making such a move close to mid-season - when you have to get a new back in sync with O; not to mention the PR/optics of cutting the league's leading rusher and a popular player with the fans.

OV, you have spoken often, and vociferously, against CFL coaches and GMs making judgments on paper rather than on the field, and there's a lot of validity in that viewpoint. Now you're saying they maybe should have cut Boyd before even trying him out in the new offence? Wouldn't that have made less sense than giving a reasonable shot to a two-time 1,000-yard rusher who clearly has much more pure talent (as a runner, at last) than Kackert?

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm with OV on this bigtime. What in the heck is training camp for? I remember a line in an old song, One Step Forward,Two Steps Back..Two Steps Back. I need to hear Barkers take on this.

Fungi
08-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Boyd made the team. Theres no debate here. He made the HC team. He made the GM team, salary wise. He made the Argo fans team. Popular. Talented. I think Braley and Barker should do 50 laps and then do a news conference.
Bob Ackles would not be impressed by this move. The fans came first. ALWAYS.

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Maybe Barker has some young rb from Whodat College in Butt Plug Iowa that's he's found playing in the Northern Mongolia pro league that he's high on. He seems to like to dig deep to try and find someone nobody has ever heard of to be some sort of hero.

ArgoGabe22
08-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Maybe Barker has some young rb from Whodat College in Butt Plug Iowa that's he's found playing in the Northern Mongolia pro league that he's high on. He seems to like to dig deep to try and find someone nobody has ever heard of to be some sort of hero.

This post made me laugh. How bout lining up that Trinidadian guy as a FB?

tc23
08-12-2012, 09:33 PM
Barker is a GOOF !!

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 09:35 PM
I agree with you tc23. We have a total goof running the gongshow. We need Barker to open his yap and spew why this happened.

Fungi
08-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Butt Plug Iowa????? I think I peed my pants....LOL
Who's going to want to play for the Argos?
"Hi, My name is Jim...I'm your friend...I want you to use your talents to play for our team. We value your skill and want you to be a part of our community, so that our fans can celebrate a winning team..."
Meanwhile...back at the outhouse...things are still piling up!
Get lost! See ya! Can you stick this broom up your arse so you can sweep the floor on your way out?...Thanks( aside) " I like bunnies".
Can you tell I'm upset?

AngeloV
08-12-2012, 10:27 PM
I don't think that Barker had anything to do with this decision. This is pure Milanovich. I'm willing to bet he didn't want to go with Boyd from the get go. Who knows, maybe Barker convinved him to start the season with Boyd. Now that I've had time to take this in, I will have a wait and see attitude before ripping the decision. If the Milanovich offence needs a back that can catch the dump pass and get up field quicker than what Boyd can do, then it might be a move the team needed. I like Boyd, but that doesn't mean that the team make the wrong move.

Argocister
08-12-2012, 10:34 PM
I don't think that Barker had anything to do with this decision. This is pure Milanovich. ...........
Totally agree with this. This action shows that Milanovich is determined to create the team he feels can win. Although it pulls at the ties that CB3 had formed with the fans, if a winning team is what is needed, good for Scott in being able to create the environment that he needs. I like Milanovich, and this decision reflects on his control on the team. Something that is needed, as we know a country club atmosphere won't get us to the cup.

This release will keep the Argos front and centre for a few days or weeks. Sour way of marketing but it will work. Hopefully for the better.

ArgoGabe22
08-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Its hard to judge the move after it happened lets see. If Kackert fumbles like last season then its a failure, if we sign someone who can't fill the void then its a failure as well. I hope its not Wes Cates lol

1argoholic
08-12-2012, 11:47 PM
They should have just kept Riggs and cut loose Cory right from the get go. Riggs looked solid and if it is indeed him as I speculate perhaps he said that he wouldn't come back without the chance to start. I'm obviously speculating. They'll need to bring some guys in.

Fungi you had me laughing at your post. Hey if you can't laugh you'll just cry.

Invader
08-12-2012, 11:51 PM
The timing is a bit of a surprise. The Argos don't have Boyd's replacement signed but Milanovich said a RB will be brought in this week. If Kackert was the answer, why wasn't he already being used? Bottom line: They wanted Boyd gone, even if the offence is hindered until they can find an adequate replacement. There must be more to this than the Argos "needed more productivity" at RB.

My take was that Boyd wasn't 100% onside with his role in the offence and the Argos perhaps didn't feel his attitude was conducive to the team concept they're trying to build. I don't believe his salary or that it was guaranteed in Oct (or thereabouts if he's a 4-yr veteran) were factors. Sometimes its better to cut bait rather than let the rancid fish fester, or whatever.

Midnight Blue
08-13-2012, 12:17 AM
The timing is a bit of a surprise. The Argos don't have Boyd's replacement signed but Milanovich said a RB will be brought in this week. If Kackert was the answer, why wasn't he already being used? Bottom line: They wanted Boyd gone, even if the offence is hindered until they can find an adequate replacement. There must be more to this than the Argos "needed more productivity" at RB.

My take was that Boyd wasn't 100% onside with his role in the offence and the Argos perhaps didn't feel his attitude was conducive to the team concept they're trying to build. I don't believe his salary or that it was guaranteed in Oct (or thereabouts if he's a 4-yr veteran) were factors. Sometimes its better to cut bait rather than let the rancid fish fester, or whatever.

As I mentioned in the other (Boyd) thread, I was shocked by his release. I would have loved to have seen both Boyd and Kackert in the backfield, but it was pointed out to me a couple of times that for import ratio reasons, they both couldn't play on the field simultaneously (at the same time). I understand and appreciate those reasons (we would have had to sit out some other import component on this team), but still, it's a shame. If we were able to somehow squeeze both Boyd and Kackert into the backfield, I suspect that Boyd would still be here, we'd be at 4-2, if not 5-1, and Ricky Ray would have a lot more room to work. But that's just speculation. And I suppose the reason Kackert wasn't being used this year, was 'cus Boyd was being given his chance, which Boyd obviously deserved.

And if another RB is coming in, I think/hope it will be to back-up Kackert, but what do I know? Anyway, Kackert has waited, and should be given the chance. I loved what I saw of him last year, but now it is just a blurr (what every good RB should be, when running downfield -- a blurr).

Cheers, and Ka 'Pla !

PS - When I explained the word simultaneously (at the same time), it was not for your clarification, Invader, but simply as a public service, in the interests of enlightenment, for any Ti-Cat, or Blue Bombers fans, who may have had the fortune to stumble (probably drunken -- though I shouldn't talk), onto this august forum (meaning, cool site).

Ka 'Pla, Kackert !

ArgoRavi
08-13-2012, 02:14 AM
Boyd made the team. Theres no debate here. He made the HC team. He made the GM team, salary wise. He made the Argo fans team. Popular. Talented. I think Braley and Barker should do 50 laps and then do a news conference.

Fan favourites in B.C. were released under Ackles' watch as well. Sammy Greene, for one, was a huge fan favourite and having a great year in '83 when the Lions released him late that season. His release didn't prevent the Lions from getting to the Grey Cup either.

I don't think that Barker had anything to do with this decision. This is pure Milanovich. I'm willing to bet he didn't want to go with Boyd from the get go. Who knows, maybe Barker convinved him to start the season with Boyd. Now that I've had time to take this in, I will have a wait and see attitude before ripping the decision. If the Milanovich offence needs a back that can catch the dump pass and get up field quicker than what Boyd can do, then it might be a move the team needed. I like Boyd, but that doesn't mean that the team make the wrong move.

I agree with everything you have said here, Angelo. You have nailed it in fact.

Midnight Blue
08-13-2012, 03:38 AM
I agree with everything you have said here, Angelo. You have nailed it in fact.

(Sorry, I can't seem to get the multi-quote button to work.)

I also agree; everything you said, Angelo, makes sense.

I just don't like the fact that Coach Milanovich is ignoring one of the finest weapons in the league.

I fine craftsman never blames his tools, but finds a way to use them to his best advantage.

When handed a nuclear weapon, one shouldn't ignore it, just because one is used to working with regular artillery.

I hope I'm proven wrong.

294life
08-13-2012, 08:26 AM
Looks like payback for Ricky ray. Karma and all that.

paulwoods13
08-13-2012, 08:29 AM

Actually, with Ackles -- and every other GM in history -- it is winning that comes first. You pick teams based on fan popularity, you won't be picking teams for very long.

gilthethrill
08-13-2012, 08:53 AM
This post made me laugh. How bout lining up that Trinidadian guy as a FB?

Akeel Lendor's name is no longer on the PR....no idea when he was released...not listed on Argo transactions.

Yes, Barker demanded Milanovich release Boyd for no reason....Barker alone made this decision....Barker gets heat on this forum when not deserved.

This was a decision made by the organization.

paulwoods13
08-13-2012, 09:03 AM
Yes, Barker demanded Milanovich release Boyd for no reason....Barker alone made this decision....Barker gets heat on this forum when not deserved.

This was a decision made by the organization.

That's exactly right. It's almost funny how the knives for Barker came out so quickly. Those who want to "blame" Barker for releasing Boyd are in effect saying that Milanovich has no say in personnel decisions -- how insulting is that?

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Barker has the final say. He is the head of football operations. He could have said no. Thus Barker gets the blame. Plus his name is easy to spell.This doesn't mean that Milanovich is a stupid pawn by any means.

KCargosfan
08-13-2012, 02:15 PM

Great post. The strangest part of all this -- other than a dbag like Rob Murphy being given any credibility for saying something -- is we didn't get anything for him. Surely there had to be some sort of trade there.

ArgoRavi
08-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Great post. The strangest part of all this -- other than a dbag like Rob Murphy being given any credibility for saying something -- is we didn't get anything for him. Surely there had to be some sort of trade there.

With the cap, it is difficult to make trades in this league, especially in mid-season. Milanovich said that they tried to trade Boyd but few teams have a need at RB and a team like Edmonton would have just thought why should we give up anything in a trade when the Argos will be forced to release Boyd anyway. One interesting thing with this transaction is that the Esks likely picked up Boyd and his existing contract on waivers. Considering everything happened in one day, this must have been a waiver transaction rather than the Esks signing Boyd to a new contract after he cleared waivers and became a free agent.

jerrym
08-13-2012, 03:01 PM
I don't see this as primarily Barker's fault. While I can understand why some see getting rid of Boyd as getting rid of an allegedly bad apple or poor performer in the current offence, a GM has little choice when his head coach says he wants to get rid of a player but to accept this proposal, if he does not want to undermine his authority. Barker can be questioned about his coaching ability in the previous two positions but that is not his job now. He can also be questioned about his personnel selection, which IMO has been poor at times. On the other hand, he rebuilt a team that was the league joke before he took over into one that is respectable, although it still has some serious flaws. On the other hand, I doubt if Milanovich's offensive schemes are likely to succeed, despite a top qb, because of a mediocre set of receivers, a weak offensive line, and now the lack of top running back.

KCargosfan
08-13-2012, 07:34 PM
With the cap, it is difficult to make trades in this league, especially in mid-season. Milanovich said that they tried to trade Boyd but few teams have a need at RB and a team like Edmonton would have just thought why should we give up anything in a trade when the Argos will be forced to release Boyd anyway. One interesting thing with this transaction is that the Esks likely picked up Boyd and his existing contract on waivers. Considering everything happened in one day, this must have been a waiver transaction rather than the Esks signing Boyd to a new contract after he cleared waivers and became a free agent.

Good points. But interesting that we couldn't even get a 3rd round draft pick for him? I mean anything is better than nothing.

On another note, Tillman must be a master at hiding players from the salary cap. They have something like 73 players under contract and just picked up Boyd's $95K a year contract (I guess it would only have $63K left)?

Fungi
08-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Boyd did everything asked of him. Now that he's the league leading rusher, he gets dumped. Anyone who thinks thi is a good idea, shouldn't have their own business, or be a manager.
Find out who or what is the weakest link, then deal with it.
Cory Boyd wasNOT the weakest link.

Actually, with Ackles -- and every other GM in history -- it is winning that comes first. You pick teams based on fan popularity, you won't be picking teams for very long.
Boyd was winning. He was popular, because he IS good. Milanovitch just doesn't seem to be capable of forming an offence with Boyd in it.
This move is going to bite us in the bum.
Boyd wears down defences, when you use him, and thats a fact.
Good luck Boyd!

AngeloV
08-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Boyd did everything asked of him. Now that he's the league leading rusher, he gets dumped. Anyone who thinks thi is a good idea, shouldn't have their own business, or be a manager.
Find out who or what is the weakest link, then deal with it.
Cory Boyd wasNOT the weakest link.

Boyd was winning. He was popular, because he IS good. Milanovitch just doesn't seem to be capable of forming an offence with Boyd in it.
This move is going to bite us in the bum.
Boyd wears down defences, when you use him, and thats a fact.
Good luck Boyd!

As I have previously mentioned, I like Boyd a lot, but his lead league in rushing yards, really doesn't tell the whole story. 5 of the other 7 starting backs in the league actually have more yards from scrimmage than Boyd does. Boyd is a power runner that has had trouble this year turning those short passes into better gains. Could be that he is just a step to slow at getting started after catching the pass to pull away from defenders.

Fungi
08-13-2012, 09:06 PM
But that still comes down to an ineffectual oline, or an HC that doesn't know how to use Boyd. It's a brand new oline thats still learning, and Boyd suffered for it. I could care less about other teams. They're unimportant. Boyd kills D lines when used effectively.

AngeloV
08-13-2012, 09:10 PM
But that still comes down to an ineffectual oline, or an HC that doesn't know how to use Boyd. It's a brand new oline thats still learning, and Boyd suffered for it. I could care less about other teams. They're unimportant. Boyd kills D lines when used effectively.

ok, if that's how you feel, who am I to argue?

Fungi
08-13-2012, 09:17 PM
ok, if that's how you feel, who am I to argue?
IMO...
Still friends...
still love Boyd.
I'll never be a Shmoe

AngeloV
08-13-2012, 09:22 PM
IMO...
Still friends...
still love Boyd.
I'll never be a Shmoe

Fair enough. I can understand that.

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Boyd struggled bigtime when they would get him the ball when he was standing still. He just couldn't get the engine going fast enough. But give him the ball when he's running downhill and lookout. Perhaps a little guy scampering around like Kackert will be fun to see.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8