PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Flag pick = whiner?

Gill The Thrill
08-13-2012, 11:35 AM
How would you like to be the ONLY Gold medal winner in the summer games for Canada and be ignored when it comes to carrying the flag at the closing ceremonies ...That's exactly what happened to this McLellan girl who won the trampoline, I don't know even remember her first name because the idiotic COC and their chef de mission, (sounds like a cook to me...lol) Mark Tewksbury decided to pick whiny, sucky, self-entitled cry-baby Christine Sinclair to carry the flag. Hey, she played a great game vs the States, but they gave up 4 goals and lost....that's life, get over it.

The message that this sends is that if you whine, bitch and complain, and then win a bronze medal then you get things your way, and are catered to....How so Canadian in the worst way?
Would it not have been more appropriate picking a gracious, humble athlete who heaven help us, actually dared to win her competition by getting the GOLD...that's the tradition, but then again what would you expect from Mark Tewksbury?

Let's celebrate self-titled and self-righteous whining instead of perfection.:ohno:

Will
08-13-2012, 12:42 PM
While I'm not going to come out as strongly against the choice of Sinclair as you are, Gill, I too wondered why the gold medalist was left out!

T-Bone
08-13-2012, 12:58 PM
How would you like to be the ONLY Gold medal winner in the summer games for Canada and be ignored when it comes to carrying the flag at the closing ceremonies ...That's exactly what happened to this McLellan girl who won the trampoline, I don't know even remember her first name because the idiotic COC and their chef de mission, (sounds like a cook to me...lol) Mark Tewksbury decided to pick whiny, sucky, self-entitled cry-baby Christine Sinclair to carry the flag. Hey, she played a great game vs the States, but they gave up 4 goals and lost....that's life, get over it.

The message that this sends is that if you whine, bitch and complain, and then win a bronze medal then you get things your way, and are catered to....How so Canadian in the worst way?
Would it not have been more appropriate picking a gracious, humble athlete who heaven help us, actually dared to win her competition by getting the GOLD...that's the tradition, but then again what would you expect from Mark Tewksbury?

Let's celebrate self-titled and self-righteous whining instead of perfection.:ohno:
This post shows you either don't know how to use Google or just didn't bother. It's not the COC's fault you don't know Rosannagh MacLennan's name. I assume they choose Christine Sinclair because she is probably the most popular athlete of these Olympic Games. I'm not saying that is right or wrong but it was their choice. I also feel Sinclair is not being whiny and has every right to complain. I'm glad to see the uproar from Canadians about the Women's Semifinal Game. It shows people care and that they back Sinclair and the rest of the team. They were robbed of the opportunity to compete for gold.

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 01:06 PM
I as well thought our only gold medal winner should have been the one as well.
Or Verbeek the wrestler who got a silver and has medals in previous games as well. But that's Canadians getting sucked in about all the media attention a team sport got for finishing with a bronze. I think Sinclair is a killer athlete but it's a team sport and if they won gold perhaps but just because trampoline gets zero coverage for four years no one cares. Gold in a crazy sport where the average person would kill themselves trying those moves. Anyone can kick a ball.

T-Bone
08-13-2012, 01:13 PM
I as well thought our only gold medal winner should have been the one as well.
Or Verbeek the wrestler who got a silver and has medals in previous games as well. But that's Canadians getting sucked in about all the media attention a team sport got for finishing with a bronze. I think Sinclair is a killer athlete but it's a team sport and if they won gold perhaps but just because trampoline gets zero coverage for four years no one cares. Gold in a crazy sport where the average person would kill themselves trying those moves. Anyone can kick a ball.
And anyone with a computer connected to the internet can make a post. I wasn't aware Gold is a sport.

ArgoGabe22
08-13-2012, 01:26 PM
So if Canada won gold in ball twirling you would pick her to carry the flag over Sinclar? Sinclair was definitely the athlete that stood out at the games. Everyone was calling her to carry the flag and the media said it only makes sense she does it. Soccer > trampolining

T-Bone
08-13-2012, 01:38 PM
So if Canada won gold in ball twirling you would pick her to carry the flag over Sinclar? Sinclair was definitely the athlete that stood out at the games. Everyone was calling her to carry the flag and the media said it only makes sense she does it. Soccer > trampolining
I wouldn't say one sport is greater than another but to say Sinclair got to be the flag barer because she was whiny in my opinion is ridiculous.

Gill The Thrill
08-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Wow, incredible responses....T-Bone just turned the Olympics into a high school popularity contest..."because she's the most popular" and got all the exposure from CTV. What kind of crap response is that?...sorry, I don't mean to sound offensive but that's idiotic...someone WON their Olympic event, and the two responders on here who disagree with my thread criticize the event.

It's not McLellan's fault nor mine that trampoline is in the Olympics, it's part of the gymnastics program and is nowhere as meaningless as Argogabe makes it seem...talk about disrespectful.

If it were not for the Olympics, would anybody really give 2 shits about Women's soccer or trampoline? Realistically, probably not, but give credit where credit is due...McLellan won the Gold medal in her event, THE ONLY ONE THAT CANADA WON!!!!

T-bone, I use Wikipedia all the time, I was just merely making a point that McLennan's name was harder to remember because CTV, TSN and Sportsnet have been shoving Christine Sinclair down our throats for the last week, especially after her complaining about the referee. Canada could have easily had a red card in that game, and I happen to agree the penalty call...You can't raise your arms and make contact with the ball, even if it's for protecting your face. Don't be so blinded by this nationalist propaganda of the Olympics that it clouds your judgement and deludes your sensibilities. They played well, but the US also played well in that game.

And anyone with a computer connected to the internet can make a post. I wasn't aware Gold is a sport.

Try reading his post again, but more carefully, and you'll realize that he knows full well what sport she won the gold medal in.

ArgoRavi
08-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Gill, I happen to agree with you in regards to the flag-bearer situation. I was very disappointed in the behaviour of Sinclair and the soccer team following their loss to the U.S. I, like you, feel that Sinclair was rewarded in a sense for her whining after that game which sent a message to young athletes everywhere that it is okay to not take responsibility for your own mistakes but just blame the officials instead. That is why I was so proud of Jared Connaughton on Saturday for not blaming the officials or the rules but taking responsibility for stepping on the line thus disqualifying his 4 X 100 sprint team. He, in addition to MacLennan, would have been a more appropriate choice for flag-bearer IMO.

ArgoGabe22
08-13-2012, 02:52 PM
It's not McLellan's fault nor mine that trampoline is in the Olympics, it's part of the gymnastics program and is nowhere as meaningless as Argogabe makes it seem...talk about disrespectful.

Calling Canada's best female athlete in the past 4 years a "whiny, sucky, self-entitled cry-baby" is disrespectful imo. Women's soccer is on the rise thanks to the women's team in the past 10 years and this is the thanks you give them? More scholarships, more girls playing at the grass routes level etc. Girls look up to Christine Sinclair and in my opinion should be the Canadian athlete of the year and calling her that is an absolute joke. Canada medals in a team event for the first time since the 30's and you call them a bunch of whiners.

What happened to Canada vs the US was worse than the time keeper issue in Edm. The players were pretty emotional and said what they said in anger, they are human you know but clearly were in better spirits the day after. It's true Canada didn't defend well and should have just admitted they were weak defensively but I don't feel Sinclair got it just because she whined nor do I think it sends a message to young girls to whine. Other players made far worse comments than Sinclair.

Do I think trampolining should be in Olympics? No I don't nor should ball/cloth waving, horse jumping, shooting. There's nothing wrong with saying the gold medallist deserved to carry the flag because she was only on to win but saying Sinclair didn't deserve it for being a whiner is a joke.

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Just because trampoline isn't popular in Canada doesn't mean it isn't a difficult and worthy sport. Soccer just happens to be a very mainstream sport thus it gets attention. Soccer is like golf anyone can play. It's simple so you don't need to be smart to watch and it only takes a ball or any some what roundish object to kick. That's why it's popular because any country rich or poor can handle it.
All I did was watch Olympics as I'm injured and layed up at home. I participted in many sports and have been very athletic in my life. No way in hell would I attempt trampoline and to top it all off our young lady wins gold in it. Our only gold which means huge things to obviously every other country other than Canada. I'm not putting down Sinclair as I was very proud of her and the team and she's just the best female player in the World as far as I'm concerned but it's a team sport. She doesn't score those sweet goals with nice passes. Just because sports aren't popular in Canada doesn't mean that they aren't quality sports.
I'd like to see anyone on this board attempt any of those trampoline moves and then question how much of a sport it is. There would be many stretchers standing by for all of the broken bones. This girl is a serious athlete.

T-Bone
08-13-2012, 04:33 PM
Wow, incredible responses....T-Bone just turned the Olympics into a high school popularity contest..."because she's the most popular" and got all the exposure from CTV. What kind of crap response is that?...sorry, I don't mean to sound offensive but that's idiotic...someone WON their Olympic event, and the two responders on here who disagree with my thread criticize the event.Why do some sports and athletes get more exposure than others is another debate all together but to say that Sinclair only got the flag barer responsibility because she was whiny is no offense, idiotic. Sinclair's popularity is also based in her athletic ability not in nothing like a high school popularity contest. She was the top goal scorer of the women's tournament. She has been the face of women's soccer in Canada for many years now and has inspired many young women and girls to play the game. I'm not criticizing your opinion as to why MacLennan's should have been the flag barer, I'm criticizing your reasoning for why Sinclair was the flag barer.

I happen to agree the penalty call...You can't raise your arms and make contact with the ball, even if it's for protecting your face.This comment shows your lack of knowledge when it comes to the rules of the game of soccer. Read this article (http://www.paranoia.thehoya.com/canadian-women-robbed-in-loss/) you may find it helpful.

ArgoGabe22
08-13-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm not saying trampolining isn't a sport but I don't see how its considered an "Olympic" sport when other sports like rugby, softball, baseball, woman's down hill skiing, golf aren't even in the Olympics. Of course that's just my opinion and this is coming from someone who has done trampolining. Not trying to show off but if I had said I had done it no one would believe me lol.

Honestly soccer gets no respect here, I was surprised to see so many people in Virginia (where I watched the game) take interest in the game. Did anyone see Sinclair's header? That goal was as good as anyone other header done by a male pro, if not better. People don't realize how difficult it was especially when the risk to collide heads was there. I have no problem with MacLennon carrying the flag but criticising Christine Sinclair got to me.

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Womens downhill skiing is in the Olympics. They wouldn't let them Ski Jump which is insane.

ArgoGabe22
08-13-2012, 06:32 PM
Womens downhill skiing is in the Olympics. They wouldn't let them Ski Jump which is insane.

That's what I meant, got them confused.

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Next Olympics they are going with uphill skiing it's way slower though and much easier to follow.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8