PDA

View Full Version : Argogabe was correct Riggs is back and signed.

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Like you couldn't see this coming from a mile away as I mentioned yesterday. Why wouldn't they have done this at camp? Could there be some infighting for lack of a better term between coach and GM. I think Milanovich may have been higher on Riggs from the get go but Barker may have steered him toward Boyd. My guess is that they contacted Riggs and he'd only come back with more of a shot at starting. Glad they went with someone familiar.

jerrym
08-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Regardless of whether or not there was infighting between the coach and GM, I am glad they quickly signed someone who does not have to learn the playbook and played well in training camp. However, this does not convince me that cutting Boyd was the best move.

Mulder
08-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Signing a guy who's play is very similar to Boyd. Sounds to me he was released because he was a locker room issue. (Boyd)

Wobbler
08-13-2012, 06:35 PM
If all goes according to plan, Riggs will never see the field. I don't think this has much bearing on the Boyd release.

1argoholic
08-13-2012, 06:40 PM
I'd hate to see them jerk Riggs around for a third time. I could never be a GM because I'm not into giving people a bs run around. Wobbler I hope your wrong becausae I like what I saw from Riggs. Why do you think he won't see the field?

Stevoman
08-13-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm glad he's back. I felt he deserved a shot in the regular season based on his pre-season play. While not entirely fair to Kackert but if he fumbles even once I say put in Riggs.

Wobbler
08-13-2012, 06:51 PM
Riggs was signed to be the backup. He'll be used the same way Kackert was until yesterday - he'll go on the 46 but won't be activated for game day unless Kackert or Johnson gets hurt, or Kackert disappoints as the feature back.

gilthethrill
08-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Love the jersey #21 for a running back....

Fungi
08-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Signing a guy who's play is very similar to Boyd. Sounds to me he was released because he was a locker room issue. (Boyd)
You know this because?....
Back it up!
A football team is a family. If you ever played team sports, you'd know, no one is exempt from kidding or deriding(in fun) etc...
Every one has one goal...win the next game.
Locker room issue...yea right! he was a milanovitch issue.

AngeloV
08-13-2012, 09:07 PM

You know this because?....
Back it up!
A football team is a family. If you ever played team sports, you'd know, no one is exempt from kidding or deriding(in fun) etc...
Every one has one goal...win the next game.
Locker room issue...yea right! he was a milanovitch issue.

He doesn't have to back it up. Two of his teammates from last season (Murphy and Robertson) either said or implied it yesterday.

Fungi
08-13-2012, 09:14 PM
I thought you played team sports. You were all in love with each other? I played on teams with fist fights and swearing. Game time, it all was gone. Hockey, football and lacrosse. I don't think Murphy and Roberts???... who?

Rich
08-13-2012, 09:19 PM
He doesn't have to back it up. Two of his teammates from last season (Murphy and Robertson) either said or implied it yesterday.

Yes, that's all the proof we need. Two disgruntled former O-linemen crapping on Cory Boyd is proof that there was a problem in the locker room. Murphy has clearly shown he is an unstable individual who may have been hit in the head one too many times, and Robertson also crapped all over Arland Bruce on the way out, maybe Robertson is jealous of skill players, maybe he just doesn't like anybody, maybe he's a raving alcoholic for all we know, but yes, if these two say Boyd was a problem then it must be so.

AngeloV
08-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Yes, that's all the proof we need. Two disgruntled former O-linemen crapping on Cory Boyd is proof that there was a problem in the locker room. Murphy has clearly shown he is an unstable individual who may have been hit in the head one too many times, and Robertson also crapped all over Arland Bruce on the way out, maybe Robertson is jealous of skill players, maybe he just doesn't like anybody, maybe he's a raving alcoholic for all we know, but yes, if these two say Boyd was a problem then it must be so.

Look, I don't want to gt into an argument about a guy that I like. He's always been very friendly to me at practice, but I don't know if anyone else noticed last game, but the Argos huddle was on the jumbotron, and Boyd and Owens seemed to get into an argument. Then Boyd turned and started yelling at another team mate in the huddle. I turned to my buddy and said, that's not a good sign. And let's not forget Keeping getting in his grill last year when he and O'Shea had a problem.

Your thought that Robertson may be jealous of skilled position players is plain ridiculous. Running backs and their o-lineman usually have as great a bond on team as any combination of positions.

KCargosfan
08-13-2012, 10:23 PM

I'm inclined to agree with you as I'm not Murphy's biggest fan either, but AngeloV is a Boyd fan who is about as common sense a poster around here as there is, so if he is inclined to think there was something going on in the locker room it's not a tin foil idea.

Rich
08-13-2012, 11:09 PM
The point is that unless we hear it from management, any suggestion that Boyd was a bad apple is mere speculation. It's all very nice that they want to protect Boyd's reputation and not speak badly about the guy after he's gone, but the fact is he has signed with Edmonton now, so how much damage would telling the truth do to him now, if indeed that was the case?

If Boyd was a problem in the dressing room, the Argonauts owe it to their fans to say so. Because too many of us are having a big problem with the lame explanation that this dynamic, league-leading RB was let go because he didn't fit into the system. If they told us he was a problem in the dressing room -- hell all they need to say is there was "a clash of personalities" -- it would help a lot of us move on.

OV Argo
08-13-2012, 11:29 PM
IF - Boyd was let go becasue he was an @$$-hat who wouldn't listen to coaches or accept another role on the team because he thought he was a me-first superstar who deserved to be the focal point of the offence, THEN - i would applaud management for getting rid of him; agreed though - some clarity on the situation and reason for the release - would help. Is that forthcoming perhaps ? - or is it going to be - who knows and let the supporters of the team continue to wonder why such a talented player is let go - to be snapped up by a CFL rival - for zip-o in return ???

RoRoYoBoat
08-14-2012, 12:15 AM
Over six weeks the team tried to work with Boyd to develop him into a dual treat. When the Coaching staff graded the players during the break they realized that on 28 or so pass thrown at Cory, 23 of which made it in his hands. They managed to net 70 yards. Basically that's an entire game's passing out of six and they got a lousy 70 yards. They left 200 to 300 yards on the field. So they decided to make a change, they know they need more rubs and better blocking as well but right now, they want someone who can make someon miss in open field. That's all there is to it. There is no secret society, no conspiracy. Just a football decision that makes a lot of sense.

KCargosfan
08-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Over six weeks the team tried to work with Boyd to develop him into a dual treat. When the Coaching staff graded the players during the break they realized that on 28 or so pass thrown at Cory, 23 of which made it in his hands. They managed to net 70 yards. Basically that's an entire game's passing out of six and they got a lousy 70 yards. They left 200 to 300 yards on the field. So they decided to make a change, they know they need more rubs and better blocking as well but right now, they want someone who can make someon miss in open field. That's all there is to it. There is no secret society, no conspiracy. Just a football decision that makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, sure, cutting one of the best backs in the league for nothing to put in a player with 3 games of CFL experience who isn't as good a blocker as Boyd makes a lot of sense.

RoRoYoBoat
08-14-2012, 12:26 AM
Yeah, sure, cutting one of the best backs in the league for nothing to put in a player with 3 games of CFL experience who isn't as good a blocker as Boyd makes a lot of sense.

We find out. But even if Kackert fails that does not change the fact that Cory was not comfortable/capable of executing the plays he was asked. It would just mean they both can't.

ArgoRavi
08-14-2012, 12:46 AM
Look, I don't want to gt into an argument about a guy that I like. He's always been very friendly to me at practice, but I don't know if anyone else noticed last game, but the Argos huddle was on the jumbotron, and Boyd and Owens seemed to get into an argument. Then Boyd turned and started yelling at another team mate in the huddle. I turned to my buddy and said, that's not a good sign. And let's not forget Keeping getting in his grill last year when he and O'Shea had a problem.

I believe that Rob Murphy noticed that as he referred to it in his interview with TSN Radio today.

argolio
08-14-2012, 01:42 AM
The point is that unless we hear it from management, any suggestion that Boyd was a bad apple is mere speculation. It's all very nice that they want to protect Boyd's reputation and not speak badly about the guy after he's gone, but the fact is he has signed with Edmonton now, so how much damage would telling the truth do to him now, if indeed that was the case?

If Boyd was a problem in the dressing room, the Argonauts owe it to their fans to say so. Because too many of us are having a big problem with the lame explanation that this dynamic, league-leading RB was let go because he didn't fit into the system. If they told us he was a problem in the dressing room -- hell all they need to say is there was "a clash of personalities" -- it would help a lot of us move on.Can't see the Argos doing that. Responsible pro management groups usually don't publicly badmouth an exiting player in this day and age. Just look at the flak the Vancouver Canucks took this spring when they lambasted Cody Hodgson after trading him, and then they got bounced in five games in the first round as a number one seed.

gilthethrill
08-14-2012, 07:03 AM
I know Murphy was referred to as a "dbag" in an earlier post, but remember he was also voted a team captain by his peers the past 2 season I believe. As for Robertsons comments, what does he have to gain by making them?

Good on the Argos for not badmouthing Boyd (if these rumours are true of course), as it would not benefit them in any way.

paulwoods13
08-14-2012, 10:09 AM
Van Zeyl has also made a pretty interesing comment: “I’ve been around long enough that there is stuff you see from day to day. Some guys are better to work with than others … Cory is a gifted athlete. [Kackert] is a team guy. He is one of those guys that will give everything he has for his teammates. He is a very detailed-orientated.”

So that sounds to me as if VZ also had an issue with Boyd. You pick enough fights wth your teammates and coaches, and eventually you become persona non grata. Having said that, I think, especially after reading Milanovich's comments from yesterday, that it was Boyd's poor results as a blocker that ultimately did him in. We all saw RR get stomped by the Lions, and it's a hell of a lot easier to change one position than it is to change give. (That said, some o-line changes seem to be in store as well.)

KC, on what are you basing the statement that Boyd is a better blocker than Kackert? I don't recall any issues with Kackert's blocking in the handful of games he played last season. It seems apparent that Milanovich and his staff have determined that Kackert is likely to be a better blocker than Boyd has been. Maybe that's based on effort because clearly Boyd is bigger and more solid.

Rich
08-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Can't see the Argos doing that. Responsible pro management groups usually don't publicly badmouth an exiting player in this day and age. Just look at the flak the Vancouver Canucks took this spring when they lambasted Cody Hodgson after trading him, and then they got bounced in five games in the first round as a number one seed.

They don't need to "lambaste" Boyd, just confirm that there were off-field issues involved so we can begin to make sense of this move. Because dumping the league's top running back because he was a lousy blocker makes no sense, ever, at any time. Imagine the Vikings getting rid of Adrian Peterson because his blocking was substandard. The mind boggles.

1argoholic
08-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Yah just lay it out there and stop the bs. If I want bs I'll listen to a polititian.

gilthethrill
08-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Chris Schultz was on the Mike Richards show this morning (interview on podcast section of TSN.ca), anyway, he said he will illiustrate some of Boyds actions in the B.C. game on Thursday nights pre-game show as to why this move was made.

1argoholic
08-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Look forward to see what he has to show.

paulwoods13
08-14-2012, 11:13 AM
They don't need to "lambaste" Boyd, just confirm that there were off-field issues involved so we can begin to make sense of this move. Because dumping the league's top running back because he was a lousy blocker makes no sense, ever, at any time. Imagine the Vikings getting rid of Adrian Peterson because his blocking was substandard. The mind boggles.

Not a realistic comparison. Peterson's job is to carry the ball 25-30 times a game, something no RB in the CFL does. And he often comes out on passing downs, so his blocking skills are largely irrelevant. A TB in the CFL plays every down, and more than half the snaps involve passes so he has to be either a good receiver or a good blocker as well as a good runner.

RoRoYoBoat
08-14-2012, 12:48 PM
3 Yards per catch average ! What is so hard to accept ? Releasing without throwing a block or a shoulder at incoming defenders heading directly at his QB. Complaining about how he is used. Disrespecting a coach on the sideline. Arguing in the huddle. Polarizing instead of being a leader.

Bhubye...

1argoholic
08-14-2012, 03:11 PM
That seems to say it all RoRoYoBoat. Should be intersting to see the video clips TSN puts togther to show this stuff.

Rich
08-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Polarizing instead of being a leader.

This is pure speculation. The semi-coherent ramblings of some disgruntled ex-players of questionable repute shouldn't be taken seriously.

ArgoGabe22
08-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Its funny how Daved Benefield called out Rob Murphy by saying if you're the captain you should've shut Cory up then (if his story is true) in the locker room and let him know his attidude wasn't welcome.

I do remember Tristan Black didn't approve of Boyd's off season training video if that means anything.

paulwoods13
08-14-2012, 03:28 PM
This is pure speculation. The semi-coherent ramblings of some disgruntled ex-players of questionable repute shouldn't be taken seriously.

How do you characterize the views of a current player, Chris Van Zeyl? Coherent? Gruntled?

Rich
08-14-2012, 04:04 PM
How do you characterize the views of a current player, Chris Van Zeyl? Coherent? Gruntled?

Did VZ say Boyd was polarizing? Did he say Boyd was trouble in the dressing room?

1argoholic
08-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Boyd is gone so it's time to move on. Maybe just maybe this has zero to do with anything but on field performance. Perhaps Milanovich tried to get Boyd to play the way he wanted but it just wasn't Boyds style or what he's best at. Obviously once we got Ricky everything was going to revolve around him. Go Kackert Go!!!

paulwoods13
08-14-2012, 04:34 PM
Did VZ say Boyd was polarizing? Did he say Boyd was trouble in the dressing room?

He said: “I’ve been around long enough that there is stuff you see from day to day. Some guys are better to work with than others … Cory is a gifted athlete. [Kackert] is a team guy. He is one of those guys that will give everything he has for his teammates. He is a very detailed-orientated.”

Are you as dismissive of that comment as of Murphy's and Robertson's?

Mulder
08-14-2012, 04:48 PM
Its funny how Daved Benefield called out Rob Murphy by saying if you're the captain you should've shut Cory up then (if his story is true) in the locker room and let him know his attidude wasn't welcome.

I do remember Tristan Black didn't approve of Boyd's off season training video if that means anything.

Listening to the TSN 1050 interview yesterday, Murph said just that, He said he had a couple sit downs with Cory.

1argoholic
08-14-2012, 06:45 PM
He also had one standup with Cory and a standup, sit down fight fight fight. Raw Raw Raw. Sometimes the silly ass just has to come out.

AngeloV
08-14-2012, 07:02 PM

He said: “I’ve been around long enough that there is stuff you see from day to day. Some guys are better to work with than others … Cory is a gifted athlete. [Kackert] is a team guy. He is one of those guys that will give everything he has for his teammates. He is a very detailed-orientated.”

Of course he will. According to him, they are all unskilled position players that are just jealous.

Fungi
08-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Boyd is gone so it's time to move on. Maybe just maybe this has zero to do with anything but on field performance. Perhaps Milanovich tried to get Boyd to play the way he wanted but it just wasn't Boyds style or what he's best at. Obviously once we got Ricky everything was going to revolve around him. Go Kackert Go!!!

I think I'll just shut up and go with this comment.
It's starting to get nasty, and it's because the management doesn't have the kahonas to say what really happened. We got NOTHING for Cory.
At least throw in a new jersey for Marcwagz.
And a case of beer.

ArgoRavi
08-14-2012, 07:57 PM

Murphy has said that he spoke to Boyd something like five times last season about his attitude and Boyd would either brush him off or say that he would improve and then just go back to his old ways.

OV Argo
08-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Murphy has said that he spoke to Boyd something like five times last season about his attitude and Boyd would either brush him off or say that he would improve and then just go back to his old ways.

Hey Ravi - noticed you changed your signature at the bottom - to replace Boyd with Kackert - beauty !!! - Argos will be unstoppable forces - regardless of who is playing !!!

1argoholic
08-14-2012, 10:21 PM
Like Murphy is one to talk about attitude.

argolio
08-14-2012, 10:53 PM
They don't need to "lambaste" Boyd, just confirm that there were off-field issues involved so we can begin to make sense of this move. Because dumping the league's top running back because he was a lousy blocker makes no sense, ever, at any time. Imagine the Vikings getting rid of Adrian Peterson because his blocking was substandard. The mind boggles.Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the Vikes do cut Adrian Peterson soon.

The Argos are under no obligation to confirm anything.

Fungi
08-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Yea ...go on...
If Murphy spoke to you, how would he do it. And Why? Murphy is THE greatest diplomat in the whole world. I really don't know what you're getting at. Unless you were there, you don't know what Mister Personality actually said. Unless you think it was...
"Hello Mr. Boyd, My name is Rob Murphy. You can call me Rob. I'm here to tell you what a great addition you are to our team. Thank you sir!
If you have any concerns about our team and our offence, please feel free to express any concerns you might have with me.
Thank you Mr Boyd"
Is that how you envision "Rob" talking?

BATKINSON001
08-14-2012, 11:08 PM
good to see riggs back and kackert on the field again.

Murphy shouldn't spout shite about current stuff... he hasn't been on the team for what a year or two?

Rich
08-14-2012, 11:12 PM

Paul, nowhere in that quote is Van Zeyl saying or even suggesting that Boyd was a polarizing or disruptive influence in the dressing room, as some people here are claiming.

All you scapegoaters ought to chew on this quote from Cory Boyd today:

“I’m a guy who stays to myself, I’m a loner and I guess that rubbed people the wrong way when they wanted to go do things, hang out,” Boyd said. “I like to stay to myself and work on football. It’s OK, people are going to say things.
“I’m always open and very blunt and I think that ruffled the feathers of some people. But I’m very respectful, I just expect that when people say certain things to me, we can all be on the same page with peace, love and joy.”

OV Argo
08-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Hey - why don't the Argos re-sign that superstar Murphy - could make the O-Line stellar all by his lonesome + be a team leader to deal with malcontents like Boyd and ensure smooth sailing for the Argos; worth every penny the Argos were paying him before.

Wobbler
08-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Paul, nowhere in that quote is Van Zeyl saying or even suggesting that Boyd was a polarizing or disruptive influence in the dressing room, as some people here are claiming.
Please tell me that you're joking.

Rich
08-14-2012, 11:47 PM

I'm not joking. Polarizing? Disruptive? He said he'd rather work with Kackert, Kackert is a team guy, Kackert is details oriented. Show me polarizing and disruptive.

And then balance that with what Boyd said.

Wobbler
08-15-2012, 12:56 AM
My source for this quote is Scianitti's NP article (http://www.nationalpost.com/scripts/Argos+promote+smiling+Kackert+tailback/7085435/story.html), which unfortunately omits the specific question CVZ was asked. But here's the quote in context:

Right tackle Chris Van Zeyl was not surprised by Boyd's release.

"I've been around long enough that there is stuff you see from day to day. Some guys are better to work with than others - Cory is a gifted athlete," Van Zeyl said.

"[Kackert] is a team guy. He is one of those guys that will give everything he has for his teammates. He is a very detailed-orientated."

If CVZ "was not surprised", that speaks volumes. He was diplomatic enough to avoid direct criticism, and I commend him for it.

AngeloV
08-15-2012, 10:35 AM
My source for this quote is Scianitti's NP article (http://www.nationalpost.com/scripts/Argos+promote+smiling+Kackert+tailback/7085435/story.html), which unfortunately omits the specific question CVZ was asked. But here's the quote in context:

"I've been around long enough that there is stuff you see from day to day. Some guys are better to work with than others - Cory is a gifted athlete," Van Zeyl said.

"[Kackert] is a team guy. He is one of those guys that will give everything he has for his teammates. He is a very detailed-orientated."

If CVZ "was not surprised", that speaks volumes. He was diplomatic enough to avoid direct criticism, and I commend him for it.
It's amazing that certain people think the team is obligated to dish out dirt on players they have released. To me, it doesn't matter why a team makes a move as long as they truly believe it is in the best interest of the team.

RoRoYoBoat
08-15-2012, 12:05 PM

Some just won't accept what is. At first it was. Ex player, means nothing should keep his mouth shut. Now its a current starter on the Offensive line but people still refuse to accept the facts.

Some of his teammates did not like him, in particular the ones that make the HOLES for him. Some on the coaching staff obviously didn't think much of him (they cut him for zero return)

In Edmonton he made the comment "I am a Christian, some are not" I almost spit out holy water.

1argoholic
08-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Talking to Cory one and one I'm sure he's a sweet guy. I couldn't play with an over the top religious bumpkin that pushed it bigtime. That last line was funny as hell RORO.

KCargosfan
08-15-2012, 12:51 PM
3 Yards per catch average ! What is so hard to accept ? Releasing without throwing a block or a shoulder at incoming defenders heading directly at his QB. Complaining about how he is used. Disrespecting a coach on the sideline. Arguing in the huddle. Polarizing instead of being a leader.

Bhubye...

You assume all things are equal when catching a pass. This may be hard for you to grasp, but when you get a dump pass from your QB and the other team's LBs don't have to rush because you OLINE sucks, there's little room to run.

2nd leading rusher 2 years in a row, leading rusher this year.

KC, on what are you basing the statement that Boyd is a better blocker than Kackert? I don't recall any issues with Kackert's blocking in the handful of games he played last season. It seems apparent that Milanovich and his staff have determined that Kackert is likely to be a better blocker than Boyd has been. Maybe that's based on effort because clearly Boyd is bigger and more solid.

Perhaps I am being unfair to Kackert, but I never really saw Boyd's blocking as a weakness, but rather a strength for RBs in this league.

When our OLINE is as awful as it is, to me it is hard to say our protection problems are at the running back position. Does Kackert solve our OLINE and blocking problems? I doubt it.

Murphy talking to people about attitude? The end times must be near, haha.

RoRoYoBoat
08-15-2012, 01:18 PM
You assume all things are equal when catching a pass. This may be hard for you to grasp, but when you get a dump pass from your QB and the other team's LBs don't have to rush because you OLINE sucks, there's little room to run.

2nd leading rusher 2 years in a row, leading rusher this year.

Best ball carrier in the league, no question. But there is more to the position in the CFL, much more and if your oline hates/dislikes your likely not getting the best out of them. I really think many things came into the decision not all of it was Boyd's fault.

Perhaps I am being unfair to Kackert, but I never really saw Boyd's blocking as a weakness, but rather a strength for RBs in this league.

When our OLINE is as awful as it is, to me it is hard to say our protection problems are at the running back position. Does Kackert solve our OLINE and blocking problems? I doubt it.

Depends on why the oline is not playing well. Motivation, chemistry, communication all have a part. We will see. I think the oline is under the microscope for the next couple games and need to elevate their play.

ArgoRavi
08-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Hey Ravi - noticed you changed your signature at the bottom - to replace Boyd with Kackert - beauty !!! - Argos will be unstoppable forces - regardless of who is playing !!!

Darn right, OV!

Rich
08-15-2012, 07:57 PM

Well there's a big difference between "rubs some teammates the wrong way" and "was a disruptive and polarizing force in the locker room", but scapegoaters will see what they want to see.

Wobbler
08-15-2012, 08:18 PM
For the record, I don't think Boyd was released because he was a bad teammate. I think the issues that at least some of his teammates had with him were a factor, as was his salary, concerns that his skill set wasn't ideal for the new offense, disappointment with his recent play, and a genuine interest in getting Kackert into the lineup. Lots of little reasons, no one big reason.

Fungi
08-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Yea, but why did we get nothing.

1argoholic
08-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Barker only called Edmonton and they didn't want to deal so they dumped him. Barker was to busy watching plays in New York to make any other calls. That's what he does on biweeks.

RoRoYoBoat
08-15-2012, 10:13 PM

65 000.00 to improve the roster is still something with such a small payroll limit.

Rich
08-15-2012, 11:32 PM
For the record, I don't think Boyd was released because he was a bad teammate. I think the issues that at least some of his teammates had with him were a factor, as was his salary, concerns that his skill set wasn't ideal for the new offense, disappointment with his recent play, and a genuine interest in getting Kackert into the lineup. Lots of little reasons, no one big reason.

After all is said and done, Wobbler, this is really the only reasonable conclusion we can make. But it is not right, and not fair, that people inflate some of these reasons to cast doubt on the guy's character. We've already discussed how his being a loner transmuted into him being a disruptive and polarizing teammate. Completely unfair characterization.

And in the discussion about Boyd's shortcomings as a blocker is the clearly implicit suggestion that he was lazy and didn't care about winning, which I think is grossly unfair. The reason I love this guy as a footballer is that in all my years of watching this game I have never seen a back run as hard as Cory Boyd. He fought for every single yard he could get. What a sight to see this guy put his shoulder down and take on all comers head-on, where other backs would scamper out of bounds. He plays football the way it was meant to be played, and you can bet every single teammate loved watching him play that way, even if they did think he was a bit of a weirdo off the field.

So let's not make it an Argonauts fan tradition of crapping all over great players when they leave town. It is so unseemly.

Now I'm ready for a Kack Attack - Let's Go Argos!

Wobbler
08-15-2012, 11:40 PM
Agreed on all points. Well said.

RoRoYoBoat
08-15-2012, 11:45 PM
After all is said and done, Wobbler, this is really the only reasonable conclusion we can make. But it is not right, and not fair, that people inflate some of these reasons to cast doubt on the guy's character. We've already discussed how his being a loner transmuted into him being a disruptive and polarizing teammate. Completely unfair characterization.

And in the discussion about Boyd's shortcomings as a blocker is the clearly implicit suggestion that he was lazy and didn't care about winning, which I think is grossly unfair. The reason I love this guy as a footballer is that in all my years of watching this game I have never seen a back run as hard as Cory Boyd. He fought for every single yard he could get. What a sight to see this guy put his shoulder down and take on all comers head-on, where other backs would scamper out of bounds. He plays football the way it was meant to be played, and you can bet every single teammate loved watching him play that way, even if they did think he was a bit of a weirdo off the field.

So let's not make it an Argonauts fan tradition of crapping all over great players when they leave town. It is so unseemly.

Now I'm ready for a Kack Attack - Let's Go Argos!

You must have missed Mike Pringle.

ArgoRavi
08-16-2012, 12:16 AM

Because you can't force another team to trade with you. The Argos tried to trade Boyd but there is very little market right now for tailbacks because every other team in the league is happy with what they have already. Furthermore, once you put the player on the market, any interested team knows that there is a good chance that you will soon be releasing that player anyway so why give up anything for that player when you can soon have him for free?

Trades in general are difficult to make in the CFL at the best of times because of the SMS. In midseason, it becomes even more difficult.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8