PDA

View Full Version : CFL Salaries

flafson
08-19-2012, 08:12 PM
Salaries in the CFL are WAY lower than the NFL, that everyone knows. If i understand correctly, besides a lucky few like Ricky Ray who earn in the range of $300k the league average is around $50k per year.
If so many players are making that little money, why would players put their life on the line knowing it's not much more than looking for a regular day job like everyone else? I know in the NFL the average career is about 4 years so can't be much better in the CFL, so how come they do that instead of developing their other professional skills they learned in university/college? Am i missing something that makes their CFL career so much worth it money wise?

KCargosfan
08-19-2012, 08:22 PM
League minimum is $44K so the average salary is much higher than $50K, probably close to $70K.

Would you rather work some normal job or get payed to play football from June through November? I'd take the latter.

LLB997
08-19-2012, 10:05 PM
I am pretty sure you are low balling Ray's salary at 300k. I would think he makes a minimum of about 360-390 take home. Any physical job has risks. Construction workers, welders, heavy equipment operators put there lives on the line everyday, early days, long hours, overtime and they probably max out at 60 thousand a year. CFL players play 18 games a year and make an average league salary of 80k and then are given 6 months off to get an education, earn more money and spend time with family. They are adored by CFL fans across Canada who are the most diehard sports fans around and get to travel all across this great country of ours playing the game they love in front of 30,000 screaming fans. Its a dream gig really, established CFL players are livin the life big time. good on em.

flafson
08-19-2012, 11:03 PM
So is it $44k minimum to EVERYONE? Does it include the practice guys that are usually out but in theory could come in if there are injuries? What about the coaches? What kind of money they make?

Will
08-19-2012, 11:17 PM
I suppose a lot of guys play it simply for the love of the game. Perhaps they can make more money elsewhere, but after college/university they don't want to hang the cleats up and leave football. They want to play a little more and if their NFL potential isn't great they come up here and ply their trade.

1argoholic
08-19-2012, 11:55 PM
I can relate to a guy making $44,000 a year playing a game. I can't relate to some NFLer making millions just so he can buy more and more shite and then be on Cribs showing that shite off. "Looka may 20''rams on my caar".

flafson
08-20-2012, 12:01 AM
I can relate to a guy making $44,000 a year playing a game. I can't relate to some NFLer making millions just so he can buy more and more shite and then be on Cribs showing that shite off. "Looka may 20''rams on my caar".

For some people it comes easier than other. For every 1 NFL guy making millions there are so many who aren't making it at all. If you earn your money, you should be allowed to spend it however you please, nothing wrong with it. I do hate it when a celebrity trying to convince people of his political views. That tend to be wrong on 9 out of 10 times.

argolio
08-20-2012, 12:16 AM
It's a free country so they can talk if they want. We're also free not listen, disagree, or call them stupid if we want.

1argoholic
08-20-2012, 01:48 AM
I guess I get more and more po'd when you have very rich guys playing games whining and complaining about not getting a fair deal. Between NFL,NBA,NHL and MLB with strikes and lockouts I'm ready to tune out. How are average folks supposed to feel sorry for them. NHL is very close to losing me as a fan.

paulwoods13
08-20-2012, 07:39 AM
So is it $44k minimum to EVERYONE? Does it include the practice guys that are usually out but in theory could come in if there are injuries? What about the coaches? What kind of money they make?

Practice roster pay is $500 a week, I think. The $44k minimum applies only to players on the active roster. Coaches' salaries have never been published and I imagine there is a wide range, from mid-six figures for someone like Trestman to low five figures for some junior assistant coaches.

LLB997
08-20-2012, 04:19 PM
I wonder what Barker earned last year wearing both the coach/gm hat.

KCargosfan
08-20-2012, 07:08 PM
I wonder what Barker earned last year wearing both the coach/gm hat.

No clue, but I would think at least $200K.

7dj83r8f78t4alf8