PDA

View Full Version : Red Zone... or why leading the league in FGs sucks

bluto
08-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Our offence moves the ball and gets 373 yards/game (only 25 less than league leaders Montreal)... it receives good starting field position (thanks to our kick returns, punting average and the boys on Defence)...

But when it comes to Red Zone efficiency we've got to be dead last, right? i don't have a stat on this but by my own reckoning, if we were even average in converting Red Zone opportunities into Touchdowns, we would be walking away with comfortable victories.

We have only scored 160 points... that's only 1 point more than those bunch of losers in Manitoba! Thank gawd we have a defence...

We have kicked 24 FGs with 3 Misses for singles... that's 27 kicks for points and the next closest teams have 17. BC and Montreal (two teams that i rate for Red Zone efficiency) have 15 each. Hamilton has 9. Hamilton leads the league in points. Montreal is second and BC is fourth.

BC sits in first overall with comparable yards produced and yards surrendered however because they get into the end zone.

So what is our stumbling block here? Lack of a star target-man like Simon, Green etc... ? Playcalling? i honestly don't know, so i throw it out to my fellow Argofans.com brothers (and sisters)... How do the Argonauts start cashing in at the end of their drives?

Will
08-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Our offence moves the ball and gets 373 yards/game (only 25 less than league leaders Montreal)... it receives good starting field position (thanks to our kick returns, punting average and the boys on Defence)...

But when it comes to Red Zone efficiency we've got to be dead last, right? i don't have a stat on this but by my own reckoning, if we were even average in converting Red Zone opportunities into Touchdowns, we would be walking away with comfortable victories.

We have only scored 160 points... that's only 1 point more than those bunch of losers in Manitoba! Thank gawd we have a defence...

We have kicked 24 FGs with 3 Misses for singles... that's 27 kicks for points and the next closest teams have 17. BC and Montreal (two teams that i rate for Red Zone efficiency) have 15 each. Hamilton has 9. Hamilton leads the league in points. Montreal is second and BC is fourth.

BC sits in first overall with comparable yards produced and yards surrendered however because they get into the end zone.

So what is our stumbling block here? Lack of a star target-man like Simon, Green etc... ? Playcalling? i honestly don't know, so i throw it out to my fellow Argofans.com brothers (and sisters)... How do the Argonauts start cashing in at the end of their drives?

Score the TD before they cross the 20.

1argoholic
08-20-2012, 04:48 PM
It has to come down to play calling, Ray having time and receivers. Perhaps give Mann a try and hopefully Rambo gets healthy, practices up and signs.

Look at BC they're stacked with quality receivers. Right now it would be hard not to bet on BC for a second straight Grey Cup.

bluto
08-20-2012, 04:58 PM
Score the TD before they cross the 20.

worked on Saturday...

doesn't exactly address the matter at hand though, Will.

paulwoods13
08-20-2012, 05:09 PM
This problem will get worked out before long, IMO. If the offence wasn't moving the ball I'd be a hell of a lot more worried.

bluto
08-20-2012, 05:15 PM
This problem will get worked out before long, IMO. If the offence wasn't moving the ball I'd be a hell of a lot more worried.

i've faith in Milanovich and Ray to work this out as well... also: it makes me excited that we still haven't played anywhere near our potential thusfar (whereas Hamilton and Montreal may have) and when we start putting up 7s instead of 3s our Boatmen will be a handful...

but still: what has been the sticking point with us through 7 games?

paulwoods13
08-20-2012, 06:53 PM
i've faith in Milanovich and Ray to work this out as well... also: it makes me excited that we still haven't played anywhere near our potential thusfar (whereas Hamilton and Montreal may have) and when we start putting up 7s instead of 3s our Boatmen will be a handful...

I'd say it's many things: lack of familiarity with each other, defences stiffening in close, one or two drops in the end zone, an offside or holding penalty here and there, some play calls that weren't effective, etc. A problem like this doesn't lend itself to easy answers, IMO, and shouldn't be seen as more than a temporary issue. If they go three or four more games with poor RZ production, it's a serious problem; at the moment it's eight quarters of semi-failure against the last three GC champions.

AngeloV
08-20-2012, 07:25 PM

I ould say that play calling has quite a bit to do with it. For example, on Saturday, when they had 2nd and goal from the 2, I was questioning why Jackson was not brought in. Tured out that they took a time count penalty, but with 2 chances from the 2 yard line, I would go with one of the best short yardage QB's this league has ever seen. I do have faith in Milanovich, and believe this will be corrected shortly. Like PW13 said, if they weren't generating any offence, I'd be a lot more worried.

Fungi
08-20-2012, 08:12 PM
I agree with some good quality receivers. Penaltiesare a problem, but I think Rickey needs more to throw to than just his backs. Not much of a deep threat going on.
BTW...AB3 looked pretty darn good against the Riders. And there's no weirdness. SIGH!!!
The lions have great coaches.

Wobbler
08-20-2012, 10:40 PM
It seems like every game has been different. Last week we seemed to get more cautious once we were in FG range, and I thought that made sense; we were leading the whole way, and not risking an INT when you're in a position to pad the lead with an easy three is a pretty good call.

flafson
08-20-2012, 11:58 PM
Before the kickoff last game, i think we had 32% rate in the red zone. Calgary was standing pretty high with 60-70% and yet lost. Converting TDs is important but obviously not everything.

Nob
08-21-2012, 01:32 AM
I had the same thought that Angelo did - on 2nd and goal from the 2 I would have brought in the short-yardage team.

However, the other thing that is really annoying me is why is it on every 2nd and less than a yard they always run the QB sneak? Why not try to go play-action and take a free shot down field? If it doesn't work then the short-yardage team has shown that they can get it on 3rd down.

Wobbler
08-21-2012, 01:51 AM
However, the other thing that is really annoying me is why is it on every 2nd and less than a yard they always run the QB sneak? Why not try to go play-action and take a free shot down field? If it doesn't work then the short-yardage team has shown that they can get it on 3rd down.
I've wondered the same thing, but in the end I think there are two good reasons: 1) It's two free yards (Jackson nearly always gets a couple) with little risk - hard to say no to that. 2) Part of the reason our short-yardage team is so excellent is the second down stats. Doing it on third down, when there is little-to-no possibility of a pass, is harder.

doubleblue
08-21-2012, 09:55 AM
I had the same thought that Angelo did - on 2nd and goal from the 2 I would have brought in the short-yardage team.

You don't show all your cards until the time is right. I'm sure the Coaches have a few plays for those 2nd and short. The same with O'Shea's special teams, we know he has some trick plays available, and the other teams probably spend some valueable practice time trying to prepare for some such trick play. But you have to lull them to sleep first and when the coaches in the spotters booth think the time is right we will probably see something.

Nob
08-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Ok. You don't have to show your cards, but why not leave Ray and the rest of the offence out there on 2nd down and let Ray have a free play?

Will
08-21-2012, 11:19 AM
If we are to follow the theory that Kackert should be a better receiver than Boyd then shouldn't that help alleviate the problem?

1argoholic
08-21-2012, 01:15 PM
We really haven't use any trickery yet. More trickery and cowbell.

Nob
08-22-2012, 01:45 AM
And bacon!!!

1argoholic
08-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Just had some bacon!! Yah!

7dj83r8f78t4alf8