Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level

So do we grab Jarious Jackson now that he's been dumped?

I say he could be a great backup. Better than we have in Bell.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Great backup but if I was a GM I would go younger. I think that Ray & Mass would be a good mentors and should mentor someone young instead of a career backup mentoring the face of the franchise.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I guess I'd feel better knowing that he would be the #2 behind Ricky Ray rather than competing for the #1 job. I still wouldn't mind seeing if there is a younger option.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    it would be nice to have him holding the clipboard for us... but i have a suspicion that Jarious Jackson might be a bit of a luxury at backup for us when our #1 makes the sort of coin that he does. i was hoping that we would be able to pry a slightly less experienced guy like Alex Brink away from Winterpeg... but it may be that we have an open competition in training camp for our backup spots and Coach Milanovich can have his pick of whomever Barks finds.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    I feel Alex Brink could be a fit thru FA, but then he may end up in Regina too.
    Last edited by backer@oldclarke; 02-02-2012 at 02:39 PM. Reason: words added

Boatman
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    I want to see some youth backing up Ray, but my knowledge of who's out there is lacking.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I'd be down with Brink or Jackson. I'm assuming we could sign Jackson for a little over $100K based on the fact he made (I think) $140-ish in BC last year.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Is Dalton Bell still a consideration for a backup? He is closer to what RR is in style than is currently out there. I know Dalton Bell is a FA, and not even sure if they will even re-sign him.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Perhaps a coach in the know like Milanovich could see how our O was run last year and feel that Bell isn't as bad as he looked. Or perhaps Bell just doesn't have it but i'd like to see some movement towards having our qb situation from top to botton fixed. Obviously Ray is number one but right now we need a very strong backup.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm a big backer of J. Jackson, but he might have been a better fit last year...helping Lemon and Bell become better QB's. But that is ancient history now.

Ricky Ray has proven to be a very durable QB, but what happens if he does go down? I can't believe the Argos would go into next season with D. Bell as the primary backup? You could kiss GC100 goodbye in that scenario.

So perhaps there is a place with the Argos for a veteran QB as insurance. J. Jackson just might fit the bill as a "Jason Maas-type" player, assuming he would sign for $100k or less.

Ray will likely play another 3 or 4 years, at least. So I'm not sure the Argos would want Bell at No. 3, that should be a green-grass prospect who is a several years away from playing. The No. 2 should have some experience, who could go in and execute the offence if called upon...and won't complain about riding the pine for 18 games. Who are the suitable candidates? J. Jackson; Q. Porter (not sure about the not complaining part or if Ham. would release him); R. Dinwittie (kidding); Ben Sankey; J. Maas becomes a player/coach? The ranks are looking a little thin...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Argos could draft Mac QB Quinlan, or UBC QB Greene (Hec winner last year) - IF they want some youth at QB; BUT - Barker may be leery of that route after Brannagan didn't pan out; not sure Millanovich has ever heard of either of those 2 guys - Quinlan will be at the CFL Combine coming up.

The Argos may want some vet QB insurance behind Ray - so i guess Jackson could be a possibilty; never overly impressed by him, but i guess he at least has CFL experience, plus a strong arm. Bell coming back? (gawd i hope not after that horrid showing last year); and after that Hall - proven zip basically - as the only other QBs now ??? Not interested at all in Brink - big-time over-rated by some CFL fans IMO; i guess he did flash a bit of form for the Bombers last year, but has also looked brutal in some of his CFL playing time; Jyles flashed some decent QB form in all of his CFL time too - to go along with lots of mediocre to pi$$-poor QB play.

I'd rather see Maas as the emergency / could dress experienced guy option; rather than mediocre stiffs like Jackson or Brink - who would command at least decent CFL $M$ bucks; and then go with 2 (or 3 including the PR) young guys with some upside to develop/learn from Ray & Maas and Millanovich. CFL teams have been desperate enough to float in / recycle all sorts of older QBs before - see Bishop or Ricky Foggie, etc. etc. given stints in the past - i doubt Maas would be any worse - unless him arm is totally shot or he's woefully out of shape.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 02-02-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Banned
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48

Level
    If Brink ends up leaving Winnipeg, it would make much more sense for him to go to Edmonton instead of Toronto. Would you rather compete against Ricky Ray or Steve Jyles for the #1 job?

At this point in his career Jackson would be a nice fit at the #2 in Toronto. Great in the dressing room, you wouldn't have a Damon Allen/Mike Bishop situation where the QBs are at each other's throats. There's no possible way Toronto - - or any other CFL team - - could draft a CIS guy and realistically expect him to be the back up. So unless they want a Canadian QB on the practice roster of as the #3 instead of BJ Hall, let's forget about that happening.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Definitely bring in JJ and based on last year he would make a good backup.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    No interest at all in JJ for me. I would much rather go after Brink. As for the CIS QB's I would be interested in Quinlan as a development guy, but no interest in Greene out of UBC.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    There is a part of me that still thinks that Bell could be a good QB with the right coaching. He did move the ball well at times last year but the INTs are what killed him. He also had that absolutely dreadful game against B.C. which is the game more than any other that sticks in everyone's minds. I could really go either way on the decision to bring him back but I am almost of the mind that we should as we have already invested two years in him. Just let him battle it out with a couple of other QBs for the backup spot behind Ray.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 63
    Overall activity: 74.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Level

Cool

Whoever ends up as the #2 QB, should be a proven starter, ideally. Granted, that's always a luxury to have in this League, or in any League, but hey, if we're goin' to go after the 100th Grey Cup, we should try to have that kind of insurance. And the #3 QB should be more than just a project (again, in a "go-for-it" year, as opposed to a re-building year), since the #3 is one play/injury away from being #2. I say go with the most experienced QBs we can get this year. After we win the Grey Cup this year, we can go with younger guys again (if we need to). Also, not meaning to go off topic, but whatever happened to the talked about proposal of having a space on the roster specifically to develop young Canadian QBs? As a #4 or #5 developing QB? Pay them enough to cover their rent, Kraft Dinner, spaghetti, meatloaf and lasagna through the week, with pizza and beer on weekends. Shouldn't break the bank. Outside the salary cap. It would be great to have Canadian QBs developing/learning on the sidelines, on every team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 307
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    I imagine there won't be a lot of cap space available for our backup QBs, so I say go young unless an experienced vet will come here for little money.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I think we better hope Barker finds some young Lulay or Tate kind of guy that picks the game up fast with no BS attitude. You can't go into the season with some second stringer that's a huge work in progress type of guy. If Ray gets killed then the season is done.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    There is a part of me that still thinks that Bell could be a good QB with the right coaching. He did move the ball well at times last year but the INTs are what killed him. He also had that absolutely dreadful game against B.C. which is the game more than any other that sticks in everyone's minds. I could really go either way on the decision to bring him back but I am almost of the mind that we should as we have already invested two years in him. Just let him battle it out with a couple of other QBs for the backup spot behind Ray.
    I agree that Bell should be given the opportunity to compete for a job in training camp. That disastrous B.C. game with 4 Int's and him admitting he wasn't prepared to play was a real low point. (Though in all fairness the B.C. defence made every QB look bad in the last half of 2011). It would have been easy to write him off then...but if he can rebound and show he has the potential to be a starter, then the Argos could have a valuable player.

Much like Brink in Wpg, who had such a terrible performance in his first game as a rookie in 2010. He bounced back his next game and really took charge. I would consider Brink one of the top QB prospects in the league. Bell can do the same, but he'll be given a short leash.

Brink...89 of 140 (64%); 1023 yds; 5 Td (3.6%) 4 Int (2.9%) 85.5 QR
    Bell.....52 of 101 (52%); 612 yds; 3 Td (3.0%) 10 Int (9.9%) 38.9 QR

Banned
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post

That disastrous B.C. game with 4 Int's and him admitting he wasn't prepared to play was a real low point.
    Just when I was starting to leave last year's disaster in the rear view mirror, this brings me right back to the lack of accountability.

Bell gave the "I wasn't prepared" explanation on more than one occassion last year. Seriously? How many organizations, in any sport, would keep a guy around after acknowledging to everyone that he wasn't ready to play on game day? And it wasn't like Bell just struggled a bit and was off on a couple of throws - - he completely sh!t the bed. Then explains it away by saying he "wasn't prepared". Didn't bother studying film? Figured the playbook wasn't all that important?

Hopefully the Argos are as "unprepared" to resign Bell as he was to play football.

Speaking of useless Argo QBs named "Bell" - - anybody else remember this all time classic? Somehow Kerwin manages to bag himself AND get flagged for objectionable conduct at the same time.