Thread: Fantuz Contract

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Fantuz Contract

With FA coming up in about a week's time and according to this rodpederson.com blog, Andy Fantuz was given a very lucrative contract offer at 200K per season which would make him the highest paid receiver in the CFL and he still declined. Now obviously Tillman will make a push for Fantuz to join the Esks, and now with Ray and Burris in Toronto and Hamilton respectively, I don't see much cap room. Having Fantuz come home, would be major news, add lots of media attention and a big name to Southern Ontario (on top of Burris and Ray), personally I'd like to see Fantuz in an Argos uniform, but not for the money he wants. The Argos obviously need help at receiver, will Barker go after the FA route or chose to bring in young guys through the draft or down South. Can't wait until FA starts even if it doesn't go the way I've hyped it up in my own head.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    $200,000 is Geroy Simon or Darcy Tucker type money. Fantuz isn't in that league yet. He should be happy with $150k, then put up some comparable numbers if he wants a raise.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    IIRC Geroy's contract was reportedly 180K. Completely agree Invader, Fantuz is not at Geroy's level yet, but being an NI talent will surely inflate his contract numbers.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Here's the Canadian Free Press/TSN article on the Fantuz "situation". http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=387167

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    $200,000 is Geroy Simon or Darcy Tucker type money. Fantuz isn't in that league yet. He should be happy with $150k, then put up some comparable numbers if he wants a raise.
    Fantuz is a hell of a lot better than Darcy Tucker, and Bryan McCabe for that matter.

Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Fantuz is a hell of a lot better than Darcy Tucker, and Bryan McCabe for that matter.
    Brilliant!

Jason Tucker was good but 200k is kinda much maybe Milty or Cahoon is a better comparison. Fantuz means a lot to SSK (sponsers, jerseys etc.) so no doubt they will give him the most up front.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    darcy tucker? give me a break....im thinking more in the $20,000 range

Banned
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 48

Level
    Fantuz is in a position where he can afford to turn down the Riders offer of $200k right now. I can't imagine his value would drop once he hits FA - - you know there's going to be at least a couple teams interested and if his agent is decent he can play off that interest. So even after FA hits, Fantuz could likely still get the same $200k from the Riders.

If $200k could get him into Toronto I'd pay it. This is a high level Canadian starter and that carries a premium. And I don't think that price is too far off what Murphy's making.

So would you rather have Murphy and Watt starting or Coughman and Fantuz instead? For the same money, give me Coughman and Fantuz every time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:

Level
    I mentioned Darcy Tucker because he reportedly had a $200k contract and was one and two with Geroy as the top receivers in the league over the past several years IMHO. I can't think of any other receivers in the $200k range? (Geroy's previous deal was reportedly for $190k).Tucker had some injury issues, but had great speed, great moves and great hands. Fantuz has adequate speed, good moves and good hands (when he isn't suffering "dropsy" issues), but is a non-import which counts for something.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    I think you mean Jason Tucker of the Eskimos who retired several years ago, not Darcy Tucker the hockey player who also retired several years ago.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Too funny and I happen to like Darcy the hockey player Tucker. I'm sure he made more than that in his day.
    That was a funny series of posts. I'm laughing but I'm sure I've screwed up names plenty on here. I wouldn't pay Fantuz that money. Screw him and his heads either in the clowds or up his A$$.

Boatman
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Pretty much a white flag from Taman. Noticed many a Rider fan are test driving Fantuz-is-a-selfish jerk-we-dont-need-you angle. Thought Bummer fans were the worst at running down players after they've left but SSK comes awfully close.
    Rogers sucks. Bombers Suck. Visit www.ticatfans.com

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Area 51 View Post
    Fantuz is in a position where he can afford to turn down the Riders offer of $200k right now. I can't imagine his value would drop once he hits FA - - you know there's going to be at least a couple teams interested and if his agent is decent he can play off that interest. So even after FA hits, Fantuz could likely still get the same $200k from the Riders.

If $200k could get him into Toronto I'd pay it. This is a high level Canadian starter and that carries a premium. And I don't think that price is too far off what Murphy's making.

So would you rather have Murphy and Watt starting or Coughman and Fantuz instead? For the same money, give me Coughman and Fantuz every time.
    200K+ base contract is way to much for Fantuz. Who's played 1 full season in the last 4 years. Maybe 150K with playing game bonuses to reach 200K

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    well....i dont care how much Fantuz commands.....good for him for getting what he can...football is a VERY short career....

that said......

"Ray hits Fantuz for the Touchdown"...is something i could get used to hearing during Argo games.....

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    But I don't think he is better than Darryl Sittler.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    I would pull the trigger on a contract if I was GM Barker, just think of the possibility of Ray to Fantuz.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    As always, it's easy for us to sit here and say "let's go get the guy" since we don't have to manage a salary cap. It's kind of like saying, "let's sign every experienced backup QB out there" -- some of those signings would likely require signing bonuses that would eat into the cap. I would love to see Fantuz here, but if it meant cutting loose, say, three of our existing free agents who would otherwise be signed, I'd say don't do it. That said, I basically agree with Area 51 -- I'd take Coughman and Fantuz over Murphy and Watt, for sure. I don't think it's quite that simple -- I don't want to release Watt, just want him to back up Fantuz or have to win a spot somewhere else -- but in general terms I think the dollars could work in that equation. If Taylor R is let go and the Argos replace him with Eppele, even better (provided that we sign/develop sufficient backup depth on the o-line). I'd like to see Pottinger and Eiben re-signed, if they are healthy, so that's a factor as well.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Fantuz makes the big money because he's Canadian. Whoever gets him will have to spend over 200,000 for sure.

Banned

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post

200K+ base contract is way to much for Fantuz. Who's played 1 full season in the last 4 years. Maybe 150K with playing game bonuses to reach 200K
    You think it's too much becaues Fantuz misses too many games? Or because you don't think he's any good?

Banned

Level

That said, I basically agree with Area 51 -- I'd take Coughman and Fantuz over Murphy and Watt, for sure. I don't think it's quite that simple -- I don't want to release Watt, just want him to back up Fantuz or have to win a spot somewhere else -- but in general terms I think the dollars could work in that equation.
    I'm not sure how much more simplified it could get. Cut one starter who's making $200k and replace him with a minimum salary guy means you can cut a minimum salary guy and replace him with a new $200k FA and still be in the same spot cap wise. Do the dollars match up? Yes. Does it improve the team? Immensely.

I don't care what happens to Watt, as long as he gets upgraded with Fantuz. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not seeing much ability from Watt. He's fast, but has brutal hands and no concept of route running. That fit in perfectly with last year's offensive game plan under the Tennis Player and DeMatteo, but I'm guessing there might be a few timing patterns mixed in along with some actual routes this year. I don't see Watt fitting in anywhere with a game plan like that. Doesn't matter if they keep him or cut him, just as long as he isn't on the field in an offensive set.