Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I respect Jim Barker for speaking his mind in regards to league employees openly criticizing the Argonauts handling of Chad Kelly, if the roles were reversed you can bet the league would be issuing fines to any team or team employee criticizing the league in a similar manner.

https://3downnation.com/2024/05/13/t...of-chad-kelly/
    Last edited by Argo57; 05-13-2024 at 08:23 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I respect Jim Barker for speaking his mind in regards to league employees openly criticizing the Argonauts handling of Chad Kelly, if the roles were reversed you can bet the league would be issuing fines to any team or team employee criticizing the league in a similar manner.

He's not wrong but the optics is certainly much different. It would make the league look even worse if they did regarding gender discrimination.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    He's not wrong but the optics is certainly much different. It would make the league look even worse if they did regarding gender discrimination.
    The league has issued the suspension which the team has said they will abide by, his point being league employees shouldn’t be commenting beyond that which I think is a fair point.
    If the tables were turned and an employee of a team or the team itself openly criticized the league on any policy and/or how they handled a given situation (game fine or supplemental discipline) the league wouldn’t take kindly to that and fines would be issued.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The league has issued the suspension which the team has said they will abide by, his point being league employees shouldn’t be commenting beyond that which I think is a fair point.
    If the tables were turned and an employee of a team or the team itself openly criticized the league on any policy and/or how they handled a given situation (game fine or supplemental discipline) the league wouldn’t take kindly to that and fines would be issued.
    But what would social media think of the league if they chose to discipline female employees for publicly criticizing the league for how they handled an ongoing harassment claim/investigation? No one bats an eye when Barker is getting fined for criticizing the league schedule.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Well some of the older men (like Barker) around the league talking about this situation don't seem to appreciate what harassment is. I saw one interview with Barker where he referenced "Kelly maybe asking the woman out a couple of times and does that deserve this kind of suspension?" And while Barker is certainly entitled to his own opinion, I don't think those kind of statements help and seem to support the impression that many have that too many people in and the around the CFL are out of touch!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 782
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level

I totally agree.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kellynjk View Post
    Well some of the older men (like Barker) around the league talking about this situation don't seem to appreciate what harassment is. I saw one interview with Barker where he referenced "Kelly maybe asking the woman out a couple of times and does that deserve this kind of suspension?" And while Barker is certainly entitled to his own opinion, I don't think those kind of statements help and seem to support the impression that many have that too many people in and the around the CFL are out of touch!!
    Now we can add blatant ageism to cancel culture.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    This is the 4th case involving diversity, equity & inclusion that I have been made aware of under the current CFL office. The three previous cases, privately, ended badly for the individuals involved and IMO the league ended up worse off.

I suggest that it may soon be time to turn the page on the league’s senior management.

Let’s see how this “public” case ends up.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Now we can add blatant ageism to cancel culture.
    The response is typical, totally missed the point of Barker’s comments not surprisingly.
    Quite often the people espousing inclusion and tolerance are anything but, put forth perfectly rational viewpoint that doesn’t fall in line and the personal attacks start.
    Standard issue stuff these days unfortunately.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    The one lesson learned (also as Director) is never to make decisions until one has read the entire report and had lawyers give their opinion and answered any questions. So what do we, the average fan, know, not surmise but know.

Much more may come out in time especially if the case goes to court. It does appear, based on the little we know, that Kelly did act in a very inappropriate manner Kelly's future with the team seems to be very uncertain at this time.
    I suspect the whole situation is not nearly as straightforward as many of the social media warriors think it is. If it was, I believe the Argos & Management would have already done the obvious thing(s) regardless of Kelly's status of MOP, and anyone else involved. The CFL may have even been more harsh with their sanctions.

I have tons of criticism for fans of the league on social media surrounding this from the very start. From people wanting instant justice, not understanding the differences between a Civil and criminal cases, over-exaggerating the original claims and even their unwarranted criticism of Pinball because he didn't give the social media mob want they wanted.

I think it was pretty clear the Argos and Kelly hadn't even been served yet since it was reported the day after the suit was filed. People were calling for action.
    People not understanding that a Civil case isn't necessarily a full statement of facts, and the claims are often 'beefed up' with in many ways.

I think it's pretty clear there are some major nuance details to the case that have not been made public, (as alluded to by some members of the Argos) and that's why Kelly and even Murphy are still with the Org.

I think Pinball gave 1 significant detail that everyone missed in press conference in how he choose his wording and tone.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    The response is typical, totally missed the point of Barker’s comments not surprisingly.
    Quite often the people espousing inclusion and tolerance are anything but, put forth perfectly rational viewpoint that doesn’t fall in line and the personal attacks start.
    Standard issue stuff these days unfortunately.
    No both you and GreyCup1971 missed the point I was making. And I'm certainly not suggesting that Jim Barker be cancelled. And it's not ageism to suggest that people can be better informed about what harassment is? What I was saying was having someone harass you at the place you work for 2 years, is not the same thing as a "guy asking you a couple of times". Many of the other points Barker made I agreed with, including that more details of exactly what happened need to be known. BTW having a difference of opinion with someone doesn't make you intolerant.
    Last edited by kellynjk; 05-14-2024 at 11:00 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:

Level
    No both you and GreyCup1971 missed the point I was making. And I'm certainly not suggesting that Jim Barker be cancelled. And it's not ageism to suggest that people can be better informed about what harassment is? What I was saying was having someone harass you at the place you work for 2 years, is not the same thing as a "guy asking you a couple of times". Many of the other points Barker made I agreed with, including that more details of exactly what happened need to be known. BTW having a difference of opinion with someone doesn't make you intolerant.

Well said !

Barker is entitled to his opinions. I've heard more than enough from him in the CFL, he's been getting to have his say for a long time. Wish he would go away.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Not arguing the details of this case and don’t need the explanation regarding harassment, any decent human being knows right from wrong.
    Where I’m agreeing with Barker is the league’s hypocrisy in letting an employee publicly denounce an organization’s handling of the Kelly situation, I’ll say it again if the tables were turned and a team official berated the league or a league officials over an issue fines would be issued.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Well some of the older men (like Barker) around the league talking about this situation don't seem to appreciate what harassment is.
    Also, there are people old and young alike who don’t seem to appreciate the importance of due process and avoiding a rush to judgement.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Also, there are people old and young alike who don’t seem to appreciate the importance of due process and avoiding a rush to judgement.
    100% agree with you Rich!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    also, there are people old and young alike who don’t seem to appreciate the importance of due process and avoiding a rush to judgement.
    qft
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Certainly we have to wait for the civil suit to be heard to know what will happen, but the CFL investigation of the situation is a separate thing, it has been completed and they determined that Kelly violated the League's Gender-Based Policy.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Kelly has been moved to the suspended list. Dave Naylor suggests that this isn't as a result of a team suspension.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    From Argos media relation: "Revised transaction: QB Chad Kelly has not been moved to suspended list. Remains away from team."

Hard to know how to interpret this. Not suspended, yet not with the team? Might have just been a clerical error somewhere along the line, but this will undoubtedly lead to more ridicule from around the league.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7