Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Argos Stadium Update

I don`t have time to read it so maybe its a "no duh" article but thought I would share

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle7903345/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    With Hamilton’s football stadium under construction, this might have been an ideal year for the Toronto Argonauts to finally play host to the annual Labour Day game against the archrival Tiger-Cats at the Rogers Centre.

Beeston: “We can’t turn it around for football mode quickly enough for them to play on Monday. I feel badly about it. That’s their tradition, but we can’t deliver.”

The clubs share a good working relationship, and the Jays don’t want to kick the Argos out or damage the CFL in a tricky Southwestern Ontario market.

The Grey Cup-champion Argos are in the middle of re-negotiating a deal to remain at the Rogers Centre, since their contract expired at the end of 2012.

Rudge says his club is exploring options for a new home venue, stressing they would be silly not to. But he declines to say what they are right now.

“The demographics are more 905,” said Peddie, who added that when he was with MLSE, he explored buying the Argos, but couldn’t figure out how to make the club financially viable. “That’s one of the problems with the CFL – it’s got an old demographic and that’s not good for sponsors, not food for the future.
    Thanks for nuttin' Rogers...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Not sure why the G&M even has this article? Argos are going to extend with RC for probably another 4 years. Braley or any other owner is not going to spend roughly $100 million of their own money to build a new 25K stadium for a team that hasn't broke even in a long time. I know this and I don't even live in Canada, so not sure why the G&M is printing an article that says, "hey, the Argos need a new stadium, but it's probably not going to happen"

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Rogers would have to blow huge coin to get that stadium fit to install sod. Beeston and the Jays brass can talk about sod to attract players but at what friggin cost. This facility wasn't built with the ability to simply rip up the turf and toss in sod. Stupid idea plain and simple. Not only the engineering and installing of proper drainage,lighting and irrigation but a whole new grounds crew that knows how to maintain real grass. Your going to pay to heat, light, water and care for sod in the winter? How much sunlight would ever hit that field for real grass. This is just a farce.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think the point was Rogers isn't going to kick out the Argos until they can find a new place to play.

Here is a news flash:
    NEW ORLEANS – The Bills in Toronto series has indeed been extended for five more years.
    The Buffalo Bills and Rogers Media are expected to announce on Tuesday that the NFL team will continue to play one regular-season home game per year in Toronto for the next five seasons, and one exhibition game only in that span.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    As mentioned in another thread with this dumb assed series to continue I guess the real grass field for baseball is now not going to happen anytime soon.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    A grass field would have surely helped the blue jays win in 92 and 93.........oh wait.........
    Grey cup 106. Newer and bluer meanies

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Pelley on sportsnet says the NFL plays no factor on grass because the two sports don't cross over in scheduling but the Argos will have to move out. McCown asks will MLSE purchase Argos? Pelley says no discussions ever took place and Rogers only bought MLSE for the content and that a 9 game season does them no good, that's good news.

Boatman
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Pelley on sportsnet says the NFL plays no factor on grass because the two sports don't cross over in scheduling but the Argos will have to move out. McCown asks will MLSE purchase Argos? Pelley says no discussions ever took place and Rogers only bought MLSE for the content and that a 9 game season does them no good, that's good news.
    You forgot to mention about the grass issue, that nothing has been decided as talks are preliminary and if it happens it won't be until 2015

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I don't see MLSE being uninterested in the Argos as good news. Not saying I would love being part of Rogers, but we are going to need someone to buy the team in a few years when Mr. B is ready to sell, and it might be advantageous to be part of the biggest sports empire in the country. At the very least it might allow renos to take place at BMO so we could move in there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    Rogers would have to blow huge coin to get that stadium fit to install sod. Beeston and the Jays brass can talk about sod to attract players but at what friggin cost. This facility wasn't built with the ability to simply rip up the turf and toss in sod. Stupid idea plain and simple. Not only the engineering and installing of proper drainage,lighting and irrigation but a whole new grounds crew that knows how to maintain real grass. Your going to pay to heat, light, water and care for sod in the winter? How much sunlight would ever hit that field for real grass. This is just a farce.
    agreed...they will not ever put grass in the dump...not only would the cost be massive to retrofit, but they would lose out on a crap load of more events that could be potentially housed there (wrestlemania, ufc, monster jam, grey cup, concerts, etc)

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    These fools don't see the forest through the trees. As I mention to my wife all of the time. So many people are very educated and have intelligence in their fields but have no clue about very simple common sense things. A few of my examples through landscaping. I had a women in Oakville that wanted trees to block her neighbours but only ones that birds didn't like. I had another guy in Mississauga rip out all of his new plantings and toss them out and then call me saying there was spider eggs around all of the shrubs. If was fertilizer. Now one of the best, as I was explaining my plan to another guy in Ontario and about mulch or river rock around the plants he asked how the water would get to the roots. hahaha! These people were all what I'd call educated professionals. Here I was a college educated landscaper trying to hold back laughter while having to explain and answer such stupid questions. To me this idea of sodding Rogers Centre is a very uneducated person tossing out dumb ideas. As I've mentioned before that in this day and age I'm sure it can be done but at what crazy cost. This would be a huge job. Not to mention what matchuk talks about. It's very difficult at the best of times to maintain grass let alone in a dome not built for growing it. How can you have monster trucks, rock concerts etc. I was at a Rush concert back in the day at Varsity and and fans were ripping up chunks of sod and tossing it around. The dome would look like a huge greenhouse with lights on all the time with the lid closed.

I'm so sick of this Rogers crap year in and year out, over and over. Rogers doesn't know crap from clay so don't buy any of their pottery. haha.
    Last edited by 1argoholic; 01-29-2013 at 10:13 PM.

Boatman
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:

Level
    Don't be surprised if Bell ends up purchasing the Argos for the same reason they went Half with Rogers for MLSE... The CFL is a huge money maker for them and they will not let the Argos die. They might not put it under the MLSE umbrella but I can see them being the ones to step up... might even be part of the new TV deal.

Boatman
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Achievements:

Level
    Also just watched Keith on PTS and he is 100% correct.... And having worked with him he is not blowing smoke the dude does love the CFL. but the best move for the Toronto Argonauts is getting out of that stadium. Interesting that he says discussions are on going with Pan Am games which makes me think that something might be brewing at York.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Sure feels like something is going on behind the scenes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Treblecharger1 View Post
    Also just watched Keith on PTS and he is 100% correct.... And having worked with him he is not blowing smoke the dude does love the CFL. but the best move for the Toronto Argonauts is getting out of that stadium. Interesting that he says discussions are on going with Pan Am games which makes me think that something might be brewing at York.
    Really??? That's an interesting development. To my knowledge, this is the first time someone other than us chuckleheads here on the board have brought up an Argonauts - Pan Ams connection. I'll have to listen to the interview.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by KCargosfan View Post
    Not sure why the G&M even has this article? Argos are going to extend with RC for probably another 4 years. Braley or any other owner is not going to spend roughly $100 million of their own money to build a new 25K stadium for a team that hasn't broke even in a long time. I know this and I don't even live in Canada, so not sure why the G&M is printing an article that says, "hey, the Argos need a new stadium, but it's probably not going to happen"
    They printed it because, i don't thing Rogers cares about the Argos and would love to see the CFL leave the T.O area for their love of the Bills. Rogers don't want to seems like the bad guy, so best way to do it, is say sorry, but we are putting grass in the Dome in 2013 or 2014 and you (Argos can't play here ) Rogers is not going to wait for the Argos to find a place to play, they don't care

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by flutie02 View Post
    They printed it because, i don't thing Rogers cares about the Argos and would love to see the CFL leave the T.O area for their love of the Bills. Rogers don't want to seems like the bad guy, so best way to do it, is say sorry, but we are putting grass in the Dome in 2013 or 2014 and you (Argos can't play here ) Rogers is not going to wait for the Argos to find a place to play, they don't care
    You do realize that if what you say is even remotely true ... the Argos would have been dead a long time now?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    You do realize that if what you say is even remotely true ... the Argos would have been dead a long time now?
    Yes Rogers loves the Argos and the CFL, maybe this year they will give the Argos 12 dates to pick their 9 game home schedule from. Last year they gave the Argos 11 dates to pick from.ySince we know that Rogers said they need 72 hours now to change the dome over from baseball to football, so the Labour day game in T.O is now out. Funny 10 years ago, they only needed 24 hours to change it over. Not that long ago the Argos played Thur nights at home and a weekend game after Sept. Now Rogers said that's not possible. The jays staff would sit with the CFL/Argo staff and do their best to work out a viable schedule for the Argos, now Rogers give the Argos 11 dates and says to the Argos good luck

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    I won't accept anything other than a dome.