Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Argos aren't wanted on the potential new grass field at Rogers or BMO Field. Enough of the crap, it finally seems like we're headed in the right direction. I don't think anyone can complain about where ever the new stadium is finally built. We just need it and give a big you know what to the folks who could care less and that treated the Argonaut organization like fecal matter for years.

I think a beautiful $35,000 seat stadium with it open over the field but fans being covered with material that looks like a sail. Play up The Boatmen theme real good in the design with team colours all over the joint. A statement that reads this is our stadium.

Banned
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Dave Naylor tweeted the other day, in reference to the downpour in Guelph on Sunday, that sadly that is a reason Soccer Canada does not want the Argos in BMO on the grass surface.

He's right. If Alumni Stadium had a natural surface it would have been destroyed that day. A soccer game would be cancelled in that kind of rain.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 959
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post

He's right. If Alumni Stadium had a natural surface it would have been destroyed that day. A soccer game would be cancelled in that kind of rain.

Absolutely...not to mention the time & cost if would take to get a natural grass field in order again after a day like that.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Absolutely...not to mention the time & cost if would take to get a natural grass field in order again after a day like that.
    It would not have been as easy as Tuesday morning after the storm:

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    It would not have been as easy as Tuesday morning after the storm:
    Wouldn't have to worry about that, since it would be converted back to turf anyways.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
    Wouldn't have to worry about that, since it would be converted back to turf anyways.
    C&S screwed over the York University Stadium deal, I guess the current ownership could keep up that tradition with that move.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    C&S screwed over the York University Stadium deal, I guess the current ownership could keep up that tradition with that move.
    It's called "enhancing a public owned faculty to generate more revenue"

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    It's called "enhancing a public owned faculty to generate more revenue"
    That's one way of looking at it, I guess. The fact that the building is called the National Soccer Stadium and setting the national program back by changing the field surface doesn't matter. Who cares about the development of soccer in this country anyway? It's only the Argos and their fans that have been shit on for years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    That's one way of looking at it, I guess. The fact that the building is called the National Soccer Stadium and setting the national program back by changing the field surface doesn't matter. Who cares about the development of soccer in this country anyway? It's only the Argos and their fans that have been shit on for years.
    I guess it's a shame it's called this. Considering they rarely use the field. (5 times in 2 years).

I'm not sure how changing the surface on a field they never use would change anything. Look who they lost too!
    Last edited by Mulder; 07-11-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    I guess it's a shame it's called this. Considering they rarely use the field. (5 times in 2 years).
    And 16 times since it was built.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    The fact that the building is called the National Soccer Stadium and setting the national program back by changing the field surface doesn't matter.
    Setting the national program back from what? The humiliating final World Cup qualifying game and then losing to Martinique, a non-FIFA country, is about as bad as the national team has ever been.

For the record, I'd rather the Argos not go to BMO and would prefer to stay in the Dome. For those who also want that and who live in the city, I suggest writing an e-mail to your councillor and the mayor (yes, him!). I saw Karen Stintz at the Ticat game so she might be worth contacting, and also Mike Layton, the councillor who objected to an Argo promotion a few years ago. He owes the Argos a favour.

I'm sure Toronto Council would rather avoid a debate about funding for a new stadium, so maybe they can shame Rogers and the Jays into not evicting the team that was responsible for building the Dome in the first place.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm not for wasting anymore money on a new stadium and like Skydome very much. It's the owners of this facility that need to wake up. I'm pretty sure if they had a real sod field they'd still be a so so team. I love the location and the way that place rocked at Grey Cup was a blast.

If we are getting turfed out then we need to get on a stadium sooner than later.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    This is my crystal ball look ahead to what will happen stadium wise.

The Argos will sign a 5 year lease at Skydome.

They will sign another 5 year lease at Skydome and it may be their last as the Jays will then be looking to replace the Dome with a baseball only facility like Camden Yards, etc.

As the Jays do that ... the Argos will look to get built their own stadium on a piece of land that was optioned for that purpose within 2 years from now.

Argos in new home by 2021 to 2022
    Jays in new digs by 2025

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Who cares about the development of soccer in this country anyway? It's only the Argos and their fans that have been shit on for years.
    How has Soccer been "shit on"?

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    And 16 times since it was built.
    And how game would we have gotten with out a natural surface? When BMO Field still had turf the national teams preferred to play at Commonwealth Stadium. If BMO Field losses the grass they will be heading to Saputo Stadium. The WNT friendly against the US was amazing to see at BMO Field with a sold out crowd which two years ago I couldn't have imaged would ever happen. Also this past run of WQC for the MNT was great despite the final game. Attendance was on the rise at every match.

How has Soccer been "shit on"?
    Canadian soccer has been looked down upon by many for years. Canadians showing their support for other nations over Canada. Not unlike those that see the NFL as the superior product over the CFL. argolio's comment is a perfect example:

Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Setting the national program back from what? The humiliating final World Cup qualifying game and then losing to Martinique, a non-FIFA country, is about as bad as the national team has ever been.
    So, two games determine the state of our national soccer teams? Have the Argos been Grey Cup contenders every season? I'm not saying it's not frustrating but at the same time the state of soccer in this country is far better then it has been in a long time. 2007 was a year of change for soccer in Canada and BMO Field was part of that step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    For the record, I'd rather the Argos not go to BMO and would prefer to stay in the Dome. For those who also want that and who live in the city, I suggest writing an e-mail to your councillor and the mayor (yes, him!). I saw Karen Stintz at the Ticat game so she might be worth contacting, and also Mike Layton, the councillor who objected to an Argo promotion a few years ago. He owes the Argos a favour.

I'm sure Toronto Council would rather avoid a debate about funding for a new stadium, so maybe they can shame Rogers and the Jays into not evicting the team that was responsible for building the Dome in the first place.
    A couple years ago I was for the stay at the Rogers Centre option but it doesn't seem to be working for the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    And how game would we have gotten with out a natural surface? When BMO Field still had turf the national teams preferred to play at Commonwealth Stadium. If BMO Field losses the grass they will be heading to Saputo Stadium. The WNT friendly against the US was amazing to see at BMO Field with a sold out crowd which two years ago I couldn't have imaged would ever happen. Also this past run of WQC for the MNT was great despite the final game. Attendance was on the rise at every match.
    The number that is most staggering is 1 in 2013. The Womans game you know damn right was billed as the rematch. and Hyped to no end. It's the only way to sell tickets in Toronto.

Canadian soccer has been looked down upon by many for years. Canadians showing their support for other nations over Canada. Not unlike those that see the NFL as the superior product over the CFL. argolio's comment is a perfect example:
    This isn't a very good argument on how soccer is being shit on. Canadian soccer being shit on by Canadians because they don't show their support? It points more to Canadian culture about not being a soccer country.

So, two games determine the state of our national soccer teams? Have the Argos been Grey Cup contenders every season? I'm not saying it's not frustrating but at the same time the state of soccer in this country is far better then it has been in a long time. 2007 was a year of change for soccer in Canada and BMO Field was part of that step in the right direction.
    I fail to see that, All it provided was a stadium that is rarely used by they Canadian national teams. The mens team is actually worse, the womans team was on the rise well before 2007.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    The number that is most staggering is 1 in 2013.
    It's not out of the realm of possibility another friendly will be scheduled before the end of the year. Had the MNT advanced to the next round of WCQ then there would be more games. National soccer is not like a club team where you have a league and a set schedule with a set number of games.

The Womans game you know damn right was billed as the rematch. and Hyped to no end. It's the only way to sell tickets in Toronto.
    I fail to see your point. The building was sold out which is great for the WNT and exposure for soccer on the national level in Canada.

This isn't a very good argument on how soccer is being shit on. Canadian soccer being shit on by Canadians because they don't show their support? It points more to Canadian culture about not being a soccer country.
    Well I've heard the very similar argument from Argo fans plenty of times.

I fail to see that, All it provided was a stadium that is rarely used by they Canadian national teams. The mens team is actually worse, the womans team was on the rise well before 2007.
    It's also the reason Toronto got TFC. Because of TFC we now have the Toronto FC Academy at Downsview which is an important step forward in developing youth for not only TFC but the MNT's as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    It's not out of the realm of possibility another friendly will be scheduled before the end of the year. Had the MNT advanced to the next round of WCQ then there would be more games. National soccer is not like a club team where you have a league and a set schedule with a set number of games.
    10 extra home dates vs 5. Which was the max the National teams used it in any year. Which brings in more revenue?

I fail to see your point. The building was sold out which is great for the WNT and exposure for soccer on the national level in Canada.

Well I've heard the very similar argument from Argo fans plenty of times.
    It was billed as "The Rematch" if it had been advertised as a friendly, There would have been no where near that amount. Probably around the same as the Mens team vs USA last year (15k). You claim soccer being shit on, yet the media hyped the shit out of that game. I fail to see any comparisons with the Argos.

It's also the reason Toronto got TFC. Because of TFC we now have the Toronto FC Academy at Downsview which is an important step forward in developing youth for not only TFC but the MNT's as well.
    This isn't a debate about soccer. In the end isn't what the City cares about, it cares about revenue. Renovating brings more tax revenue, fills more dates. As I said, the longer you don't hear anything. The more likily it going to be a renovated BMO. Soccer will always have a place in Canadian's hearts, somewere between darts and volleyball.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    10 extra home dates vs 5. Which was the max the National teams used it in any year. Which brings in more revenue?
    Minus the cost of the damage to the grass. You really think MLSE will give up the grass that easily after the amount of money they spent on it and the community investments they agreed to in order for the city to approve the grass in the first place.

It was billed as "The Rematch" if it had been advertised as a friendly, There would have been no where near that amount. Probably around the same as the Mens team vs USA last year (15k). You claim soccer being shit on, yet the media hyped the shit out of that game. I fail to see any comparisons with the Argos.
    Yes things have changed for soccer in Canada since 2007 but it wasn't always the case. As for it being billed "The Rematch" it was a rematch. The first time those two teams faced off since the last time. The drama behind the Olympics is what sold out the match not the fact that it was billed as what it was.

This isn't a debate about soccer. In the end isn't what the City cares about, it cares about revenue. Renovating brings more tax revenue, fills more dates. As I said, the longer you don't hear anything. The more likily it going to be a renovated BMO. Soccer will always have a place in Canadian's hearts, somewere between darts and volleyball.
    Ok. I personally think it is mutually beneficial for the Argos to get there own facility. If they move in to BMO Field they will be the second tenant in yet another stadium not entitled to the same benefits as the primary tenant. For example:

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Minus the cost of the damage to the grass. You really think MLSE will give up the grass that easily after the amount of money they spent on it and the community investments they agreed to in order for the city to approve the grass in the first place.
    It would be switched back to turf. So it could be used as intended. And provide more revenue

Yes things have changed for soccer in Canada since 2007 but it wasn't always the case. As for it being billed "The Rematch" it was a rematch. The first time those two teams faced off since the last time. The drama behind the Olympics is what sold out the match not the fact that it was billed as what it was.
    This isn't a soccer debate.

Ok. I personally think it is mutually beneficial for the Argos to get there own facility. If they move in to BMO Field they will be the second tenant in yet another stadium not entitled to the same benefits as the primary tenant. For example:
    Taken from before the stadium was approved, and from a different cities website. Great source!