Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Since everyone is angry about the timing of the Barker firing, can I ask, since I don't know, who was available since the end of the season until the actual firing? Now I'm on board with the lack of time available until FA time, and the possible lost time, but who was available in November and December. Now, let's say no one was available and the Argos fired Barker in November. What kind of shyte storm would people create if they didn't sign a GM until January? So what was the alternative that was available up until now?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argos1873 View Post
    Since everyone is angry about the timing of the Barker firing, can I ask, since I don't know, who was available since the end of the season until the actual firing? Now I'm on board with the lack of time available until FA time, and the possible lost time, but who was available in November and December. Now, let's say no one was available and the Argos fired Barker in November. What kind of shyte storm would people create if they didn't sign a GM until January? So what was the alternative that was available up until now?

Lots of available names with CFL experience were available months ago. Sunderland, McAvoy and Burke from Hamilton were all worthy of being interviewed as GM. No matter how you look at it, you don't leave Barker or Milanovich twisting in the wind all off season then begin changes at the end of January. Copeland blew this big time.

Banned
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Outside of this forum I know of nobody that wanted the Argos to stick with either SM or Barker. Should have happened sooner. The sad part is it seems they were going to stick with SM?? Nobody knows perhaps all the details will come out but good freakin riddance to both of them

Expecting a big announcement over the weekend

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    This is why the timing sucks.

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by BATKINSON001 View Post
    So far the only nfl - cfl success management story was Trestman in montreal... Everything else at least for the argos was bad
    It may have come a long while ago... but at least Tommy Clements has tons of CFL experience... not to mention tons of high level coaching experience. I wonder if he'll bring his friend Aaron with him...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 635
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowRogue View Post
    This is why the timing sucks.

Just like the CFL moved heaven and earth to get the Argos sold, I think the Commissioner would remove roadblocks to make GM and Coaches available to Toronto. We all know much of the commercial future success of the CFL is based on Toronto not blowing up the franchise. Don't expect headwinds from the Commissioner's office.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    I like how this sounds! Reminds me how we used to buy our way out trouble. It didn't always work out, but we always felt big league. Not like recently when the focus on looking to replace veteran players with cheaper rookies.
    100% agree with this post... the inability to compete for big names has been a key factor in sinking CFL interest in Toronto IMO. The would be a novel way to go around the league salary cap... just as the Maple Leafs had previously done with the Shanahan signing... and then the Babcock signing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Rote View Post
    It may have come a long while ago... but at least Tommy Clements has tons of CFL experience... not to mention tons of high level coaching experience. I wonder if he'll bring his friend Aaron with him...
    He's also in early to mid 60's. I don't think this is a guy that will exactly be a long term solution.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    He's also in early to mid 60's. I don't think this is a guy that will exactly be a long term solution.
    Is Clements being rumored to be HC and GM? I question if he has the credentials to be a CFL GM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Clements is 63, and has been away from the CFL for quite some time - not exactly the type of guy I'd want to lead this team into the future.

I also hope that someone like Lapo isn't brought in as Head Coach.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Is Clements being rumored to be HC and GM? I question if he has the credentials to be a CFL GM.
    I'm sure that if "HC/GM" is the title... it really reflects total control of the football operation. Current Ass't GM Zimmerman will likely handle most of the front office work. Anyway... the Notre Dame law school grad and long time NFL coach and coordinator is no dummy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Clements is 63, and has been away from the CFL for quite some time - not exactly the type of guy I'd want to lead this team into the future.

I agree 100%. Clements has had previous chances to return to the CFL and passed. Out of the CFL loop a long time and probably multiple opportunities in the NFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    I agree 100%. Clements has had previous chances to return to the CFL and passed. Out of the CFL loop a long time and probably multiple opportunities in the NFL.
    In a way, if Clements is hired there will be similarities between his hiring as well as Jeff Tedfords.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level

Agreed, being out of the loop for years worries me more.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Rote View Post
    Welcome on board the leaky ship Argo. If we all row together maybe we can keep it upright. Have you been an Argo fan since the early 1960s when Rote was at the helm?

Boatman
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 13
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Hmmm.Rosettii for GM and Clements as HC. Might work as Clements has lots of experiencecoachong QBs in nfl. And Rosetti might get up to speed quickly because of previous argo experience. lots of new blood. Aaron Rogers credits Clements for much of his success. And Clements has lots of OC experience as well. These moves would also give us pipelines into two nfl organizations for cadtoffs etc.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    While I was happy to see Milanovich going after he stuck with an offensive scheme way past before its best before date, I had mixed feelings about Barker. He did recruit many talented players but also made some poor personnel decisions, of which the Willy trade was only one, although Milanovich likely pushed him towards doing that. In the end though, the ship was listless and taking on water, so he needed to go.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Leaving the GM/coaching changes so late is going to mean the Argos are facing an unholy mess as free agency rapidly approaches and not that much later the draft. For this alone Copeland should also be fired.

Banned
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 34
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Leaving the GM/coaching changes so late is going to mean the Argos are facing an unholy mess as free agency rapidly approaches and not that much later the draft. For this alone Copeland should also be fired.
    There was some guy who was asst GM (no not Tommy Condell ) and dont we have some Scouts that have been checking out players for us, seems to me would not be all that difficult to follow up, we need WR`s because the Jack azzzes cut most of them, no insult to Shaw, Jones etc

btw I find fans at this forum have a completely different take than in the world I travel in. Everywhere else I go fans think it was nutz to bring in Willy and Nutz to cut Gurley,Hazelton and Elliot, and fantastic that both SM and Barker are both gone.

As for fans, season ticket holders being disgusted at the Argos as many here are saying, my survey of friends the last 24 hours is one of...finally there is some hope ahead. I think its fandamtastic that SM has joined Barker, couple of complete failures, there is only up now, fans that I know that attend the games are more likely today to renew tickets than they were yesterday

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argoscott View Post
    There was some guy who was asst GM (no not Tommy Condell ) and dont we have some Scouts that have been checking out players for us, seems to me would not be all that difficult to follow up, we need WR`s because the Jack azzzes cut most of them, no insult to Shaw, Jones etc

btw I find fans at this forum have a completely different take than in the world I travel in. Everywhere else I go fans think it was nutz to bring in Willy and Nutz to cut Gurley,Hazelton and Elliot, and fantastic that both SM and Barker are both gone.

As for fans, season ticket holders being disgusted at the Argos as many here are saying, my survey of friends the last 24 hours is one of...finally there is some hope ahead. I think its fandamtastic that SM has joined Barker, couple of complete failures, there is only up now, fans that I know that attend the games are more likely today to renew tickets than they were yesterday
    The more that renew, the bigger the party... In the south stands.

I, like other fans, had accepted the fact that we were stuck with them for another season when they weren't canned in december... I had accepted the fact that Barker wouldn't do much for free agency other than what was done so far and things would be quiet until the draft, unless the team holds a town hall meeting for us season ticket holders in the early spring (which we really need).

So for them both to be canned now, doesn't bode well for progress during the off season...
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227