Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Dave Naylor has written THIS article. He has seen the executive summary of the 87-page report. Of note:

1. The investigation was conducted by Buckingham Security Services Ltd., a Saskatchewan-based company specializing in business investigations and security solutions;

2. The investigation corroborated 3 of the 6 allegations made against Kelly;

3. Kelly did make persistent advances on the former coach, which constitutes "sexual harassment as defined by the Ontario Occupational Health and Safety Act."

Among the evidence supporting the finding of sexual harassment are copies of text messages from Kelly to the former coach in September of 2023, including one in which Kelly invites her to his hotel room in Hamilton, one in which Kelly asks her over to his place, and another in which she tells another Argos employee of the persistent invitations from Kelly.

5. The executive summary also supports two other allegations – that Kelly acted aggressively towards the former coach when confronted in the team breakfast room on the morning of Nov. 6, 2023, and that later that same day Kelly yelled derogatory words at the former coach.

6. Three other allegations investigated and documented in the report – that Kelly made public accusations about the former coach being involved with another Argonauts player, that Kelly threatened her, and that the quarterback was involved in the team’s decision not to renew her contract – could not be corroborated by investigators.

7. On the allegation that Kelly made public accusations about the former coach being involved with a teammate on a team bus on Nov. 5, 2023, the report states the investigation found that “while present and participating in the conversations, Kelly was reportedly not the source of the original comments.”

8. The morning after the conversation on the bus, the former coach confronted Kelly at the team breakfast area at BMO Field over what she heard he’d said on the bus the previous day.The former coach told investigators she felt she could address the issue with Kelly, but he went into a “rage, throwing his plate down and screaming at her.” She told investigators she believed Kelly was trying to intimidate her.
    Kelly described the interaction differently to investigators, saying the former coach started yelling at him before he had begun his breakfast and he left the scene, feeling attacked and accused of something “he did not do or say,” according to the summary.
    The investigators were not able to talk to any witnesses to that event but concluded that harassment took place.

TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Given that it is late in the afternoon on a Friday and nothing has been heard from the Argos org today, I assume we are now waiting to see if Kelly is on the field when main camp opens on Sunday. As far as I can tell there are no tweeting journalists on site today. Nothing has been reported (that I've seen, at least) about who's on the field today.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Given that it is late in the afternoon on a Friday and nothing has been heard from the Argos org today, I assume we are now waiting to see if Kelly is on the field when main camp opens on Sunday. As far as I can tell there are no tweeting journalists on site today. Nothing has been reported (that I've seen, at least) about who's on the field today.
    Perhaps nobody could make it out there -- I would've thought, however, that media might have been curious to see if the Argos changed their tune a bit about having Kelly on the field given the reaction from yesterday.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Perhaps nobody could make it out there -- I would've thought, however, that media might have been curious to see if the Argos changed their tune a bit about having Kelly on the field given the reaction from yesterday.
    How will people express their deep outrage over Kelly lurking on the sidelines at TC if there is no media there to report that it’s happening? And if a tree falls in the forest, does anybody hear?

New Fan
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 6
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Oh Gosh who cares--let's go TAILGATES- fun- KELLY -CAM DUKES or MASOLI--LETS GO! Yes you heard it here first MASOLI. GO ARGOS

Boatman
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    I find it curious that the CFL hired a security firm to do the independent investigation, and based in Saskatchewan no less. If you look at their web site, their investigators are basically all ex police officers. I don’t live in Ontario any more, but here in BC numerous cases are referred by the police to Crown Counsel for charges, and they never get to court because the Crown Counsel lawyers deem there is insufficient evidence to get a conviction. The choice of this security firm was a poor choice by the CFL in my opinion and one has to wonder why they were chosen.

While it is true that the CFL could have used a firm / consultant with expertise in either workplace issues or even harassment in the workplace, I don’t think hiring this particular firm means that they didn’t do a thorough or fair investigation. It seems from Naylor’s article that the investigators sought to corroborate each and every incident, which is what you would want any good investigation team to do.

Unfortunately in Naylor’s report, we are not given all the evidence gathered in the independent investigation. It would be really helpful to have supporting evidence from people around both the coach and Kelly to fully understand what happened and what mitigating circumstances there might be related to each of the episodes. Cherry picking out parts of the report is not helpful to anyone, unless you have a particular bias against someone. Drawing conclusions without any basis in fact is not acceptable at least in a court of law.

While it’s true that it’s difficult to know happened without knowing all the details and supporting evidence from people who witnessed or were involved in the episodes, it doesn’t negate the fact that Kelly continually harassed the conditioning coach. (e.g repeated emails etc).

I mentioned in a previous post, I was part of a sexual harassment case in a previous job (I was acting Director at the time, so had to be briefed on the progress of the case, the accusations, etc.).

I noted previously that the Human Rights Code defines harassment as "engaging in a course of vexatious (annoying or provoking) comment or conduct which is known or ought reasonably to be known to be unwelcome." It goes on to give examples of what type of behaviour might be considered "sexual harassment" which does include things like asking for dates and not taking no for an answer, or making jokes or comments about a person's appearance, making sexual jokes or bragging about sexual ability etc.

And based on that definition alone, it sounds like Kelly is guilty of harassment, because over 2 years, he repeatedly approached this coach about dates, sending emails, etc. which were obviously "unwelcome."

It would be of interest to know what training is given the Argo’s organization employees regarding harassment in the workplace. Did Kelly know, or should he have known that inviting another employee to his hotel room could be sexual harassment for example?

On this point, I would have to disagree. In this day and age, I think most intelligent men know that repeatedly approaching a woman in the workplace or anywhere else when the woman has said she is not interested or is involved with someone else, is inappropriate.

I have no sympathy for Kelly - he has brought all of this on himself. I feel for the strength and conditioning coach whose contract was not renewed (and maybe for valid reasons, if the Argos felt they needed someone with different skills). It still could not have been pleasant for her to have to deal with Kelly in the workplace when it seems like he would not take no for an answer. Also what about this “girlfriend that Kelly is supposed to have and be madly in love with” - ugh!

I personally would like to see the Argos cut ties with Kelly. He may be a talented quarterback, but I think he's an immature man with lots of issues (anger management to name one) and I think he will continue to cause problems for the Argos if he sticks around.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The Players Association has filed to obtain access to the full report. They claim their previous requests have been denied. Not a good move by the league to have denied the association access to the full report considering the severity of the disciplinary actions imposed by the league.

Hopefully the team will move quickly on the decision of the team's starting QB so we can start paying a little more attention to the on field activities.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Within a week the positive Quantez Stiggers NFL draft publicity of the CFL as a route to the NFL has turned into how the CFL could be a graveyard to your career, even if you’re the CFL MOP. USFL likely the last avenue for many American football players.

I am not defending the boorish behaviour displayed here for a minute. I have 3 daughters and a wife.

Disrespectful is never ok.

But so many people want to destroy Chad Kelly, the Argos & Pinball Clemons for behaviour that violates a CFL workplace policy. Ontario Health & Safety Policy.

That policy includes “repeatedly asking one for a date.” Cancel culture once again. Heads have to roll. It’s vicious out there. Which is curious because the internal report was kept private.

I see the recent direction of the CFL to become more & more inclusive to all was noble. But I get feeling that much of the words now appear to be - just words. When push came to shove, according to reports of the internal CFL goings on, a number of female employees quit over the handling of this case.

”Pinball” Clemons, the epitome of respect & dignity, seems to be dragged into the muck.

I got the sense that watching Pinball talk at practice, was watching an exercise equivalent to tiptoeing through a minefield. Chad Kelly hasn’t been proved guilty. There is an active Civil case going on. There are multiple (MLSE/CFL/Ontario gender sexual harassment workplace policies) to consider. Pinball tried to respect the rights of the accuser & accused. Of course, the media/social media is baying for blood. Every word was parsed. A small number of his words have been used to try and cancel him.

Whatever the results of this case, the number of firings required, if any, the league will never be the same. Even the current CFL Commissioner’s future isn’t assured.

Strong leadership of the league should acted months ago. An awful workplace experience between two contractors to the league should never have been allowed to escalate to this point.
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 05-11-2024 at 03:10 AM.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Clearly the Argos cannot cling to Kelly and expect this to just blow over. The heat will just get hotter and hotter. Every other team is running social media content whipping up enthusiasm for what's going on in camp, new players, etc. Argos are silent. The notion that Kelly can somehow still be the face of the franchise is beyond laughable and well into tragic.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Twitter is a cesspool. Pinball has to walk a tight rope on what he is able to say because of the ongoing lawsuits against the team and Kelly. His reputation being dragged through the mud is one of the hard things to watch in all of this. Pinball is the GM. Strong leadership at the executive level could have dealt with the matter do that it didn't fester for 2 years, and strong leadership could have stepped in this week and understood that the optics of having Kelly attend practice was not a good idea. Nothing positive was ever going to come of that in the world we now live in.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Twitter is a cesspool. Pinball has to walk a tight rope on what he is able to say because of the ongoing lawsuits against the team and Kelly. His reputation being dragged through the mud is one of the hard things to watch in all of this. Pinball is the GM. Strong leadership at the executive level could have dealt with the matter do that it didn't fester for 2 years, and strong leadership could have stepped in this week and understood that the optics of having Kelly attend practice was not a good idea. Nothing positive was ever going to come of that in the world we now live in.
    Pinball could've made that decision as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Mike “Pinball” Clemons is once again under criticism from Canadians from “coast to coast.” Social media is quite something.

I guess Mike didn’t consult with them prior to making some tough decisions and therefore deserves their rath.

I do know Mike’s personal position on criticism as he has stated it many times.

He often quotes Theodore Roosevelt’s “Man in the Arena.”

Sometimes I think Canada doesn’t deserve Mike & Diane Clemons.

Man in the Arena

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Mike “Pinball” Clemons is once again under criticism from Canadians from “coast to coast.” Social media is quite something.

I guess Mike didn’t consult with them prior to making some tough decisions and therefore deserves their rath.

I do know Mike’s personal position on criticism as he has stated it many times.

He often quotes Theodore Roosevelt’s “Man in the Arena.”

Man in the Arena

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
    I am not happy with the way Pinball handled the press conference on Thursday. He may have been dealt a bad hand, but the man isn't perfect.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Where did I say he was perfect?

I know he gets up every morning asking what he can do for others?

How many others do that?

I know he’s suffered under this matter.

Honestly, if the mob rage is high enough and he walks away. Who are the losers?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Turn back the clock 52 weeks. We were all eagerly anticipating the Grey Cup banner ceremony and about to embark on a joyous season-long celebration of 150 years of Argonauts football. We were giddy with anticipation to see new players like Pickett and Flo in action. All was good in Argo land.

Now our social media team can't even put routine training camp footage online because they'll be pilloried for being tone deaf, we're almost afraid to find out that the starting QB and league MOP is on the field, and some (many) of us don't want that player to suit up ever again. This is an utterly abysmal situation.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    A bit of a cryptic tweet by DaVaris Daniels yesterday:

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Also from Tigie Sankoh:

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The twits on twitter = B$ garbage. A lot of losers out there who need to participate in that.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    The twits on twitter = B$ garbage. A lot of losers out there who need to participate in that.
    This has brought the worst out in some -- looking to judge those Argo fans who neither defended or condemned Kelly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    This has brought the worst out in some -- looking to judge those Argo fans who neither defended or condemned Kelly.
    Yeah, there's those types; but wasn't Chad on there awhile back posting some weird, out of it rant ?

That's a cesspool forum that most don't need to go near, IMO.