Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 429
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Why would an organization and a coach think that a concocted firing story was better than a resignation/retirement? If MLSE wanted to be so generous as to pay him when he wanted to step down, wouldn't they also be generous in not issuing the humiliation of a firing?
    Because they wanted the fans to think that MLSE was on top of the situation and being proactive and decisive at the end of a terrible season.

Banned
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Because they wanted the fans to think that MLSE was on top of the situation and being proactive and decisive at the end of a terrible season.
    or mlse finally acted upon the talk that trestman was mentally unbalanced

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Sorry, not buying it. Why would Trestman care more about MLSE seeming to be on top of things than how he himself was perceived (i.e. as someone who got fired)?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 429
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Sorry, not buying it. Why would Trestman care more about MLSE seeming to be on top of things than how he himself was perceived (i.e. as someone who got fired)?
    I don't want to belabour this scenario much further, but just to clarify: Trestman needed to quit for health reasons but was willing to go through with the firing scenario in order to receive his $600 grand for 2019, which he wouldn't have been entitled to otherwise. Who among us wouldn't endure a little public humiliation in exchange for $600 grand free money? It was a win-win situation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    If Marc Trestman had double hip surgery, he may have used the 12 month paid hiatus to improve a chronic issue. It’s a deteriorating condition and in the USA he doesn’t need to go on an OHIP type wait list for a few years. Like everything Coach Trestman does, he weighed all the options and determined that the conditions were good to move up a needed surgery.

He didn’t receive free money. The Argos contractually agreed to pay him $1.8 million dollars to coach here for three years and he agreed not to coach anywhere else. They asked him not to return for his last year. No where has it been said that he refused to honour the last year of his contract.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    If Marc Trestman had double hip surgery, he may have used the 12 month paid hiatus to improve a chronic issue. It’s a deteriorating condition and in the USA he doesn’t need to go on an OHIP type wait list for a few years. Like everything Coach Trestman does, he weighed all the options and determined that the conditions were good to move up a needed surgery.

He didn’t receive free money. The Argos contractually agreed to pay him $1.8 million dollars to coach here for three years and he agreed not to coach anywhere else. They asked him not to return for his last year. No where has it been said that he refused to honour the last year of his contract.
    trestman 'claimed' that he was teaching players to be better husbands and fathers and that would make them better players
    asking for time off to deal w/ his personal issues would have been the correct thing to do to show players that even he is not above the welfare of the team
    dumping lemon [who was signed by popp for 2019] and dumping martese Jackson [whose plate really helped argos in 2017 east final] cause they both had tiffs w/ trestman was NOT the adult thing to do
    that coupled his very poor handling of qb and the 4-14 record showed that he does practice what he preaches
    I hope he works out his personal issues but teams dont fire a head coach and pay him $600k NOT to coach without a very good reason
    I think hd cc id a very good choice and oc being a cdn and a former hc will create a new and exciting era of play calling

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    trestman 'claimed' that he was teaching players to be better husbands and fathers and that would make them better players
    asking for time off to deal w/ his personal issues would have been the correct thing to do to show players that even he is not above the welfare of the team
    dumping lemon [who was signed by popp for 2019] and dumping martese Jackson [whose plate really helped argos in 2017 east final] cause they both had tiffs w/ trestman was NOT the adult thing to do
    that coupled his very poor handling of qb and the 4-14 record showed that he does practice what he preaches
    I hope he works out his personal issues but teams dont fire a head coach and pay him $600k NOT to coach without a very good reason
    I think hd cc id a very good choice and oc being a cdn and a former hc will create a new and exciting era of play calling
    Clearly you haven’t been following the Argos for the last 50 years! Toronto Maple Leaf ownership has been even more extreme during this period.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Marc Trestman left coaches and players and staff better people. Only yesterday he was referred to on LinkedIn.

When you have an opportunity ask any player or coach. Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino et al. will tell you exactly the same thing.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/0...up-their-order

“This story reminds me a lot of former Argos head coach Marc Trestman’s philosophies in leadership. Marc would often watch to see if players or staff would push in their chair after lunch, or how they would address the bus driver or janitorial staff, as they were all strong indications of someone’s character. He led by example and truly believed that every single person, no matter at what level of an organization, contributes to its success. Those philosophies led us to a Grey Cup win in 2017 so I guess it works.”

Jamie Dykstra
    Last edited by 1971GreyCup; 02-27-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Marc Trestman left coaches and players and staff better people. Only yesterday he was referred to on LinkedIn.

When you have an opportunity ask any player or coach. Bernie Kosar, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino et al. will tell you exactly the same thing.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2016/0...up-their-order

“This story reminds me a lot of former Argos head coach Marc Trestman’s philosophies in leadership. Marc would often watch to see if players or staff would push in their chair after lunch, or how they would address the bus driver or janitorial staff, as they were all strong indications of someone’s character. He led by example and truly believed that every single person, no matter at what level of an organization, contributes to its success. Those philosophies led us to a Grey Cup win in 2017 so I guess it works.”

Jamie Dykstra
    How quickly the 2017 Grey Cup Championship is being forgotten by some. What have you done for me lately I guess.

Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don't want to belabour this scenario much further, but just to clarify: Trestman needed to quit for health reasons but was willing to go through with the firing scenario in order to receive his $600 grand for 2019, which he wouldn't have been entitled to otherwise. Who among us wouldn't endure a little public humiliation in exchange for $600 grand free money? It was a win-win situation.
    Argos were terrible. Especially with expectations to be better than in 2017. He also clashed with management with the handling of Franklin and Carter. He was fired for his record, not because it looked better to fire him than to have him quit for health reasons. Not buying it either.

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    How quickly the 2017 Grey Cup Championship is being forgotten by some. What have you done for me lately I guess.
    wasnt the same trestman that admonished an argo employee causing him to quit ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    wasnt the same trestman that admonished an argo employee causing him to quit ?
    And that has what to do with winning the 2017 Grey Cup?

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely2005 View Post
    And that has what to do with winning the 2017 Grey Cup?
    it makes trestman a bad and selfish man
    and I think it has a lot do w/ last year's 4-14

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    So it has absolutely nothing to do with the 2017 Grey Cup Championship then.

And I think that losing Ricky Ray for the season in the second game of the regular season had a lot to do with last year's 4-14 record.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    WTF ?
    Say what you want about Trestman's offence and coaching style, but to call him a "bad and selfish man" is beyond ridiculous.

Seriously, can you please go away ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by R.J View Post
    WTF ?
    Say what you want about Trestman's offence and coaching style, but to call him a "bad and selfish man" is beyond ridiculous.

Seriously, can you please go away ?
    He's a bad and selfish man..OTOH, Jerome Messam is a great guy and scored 2TD's in the Grey Cup.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I had the opportunity to have a couple of brief conversations with Trestman and even in those short minutes I was impressed with his character. Everything I saw or read about the man strongly suggested he was a principled individual who was committed to help young men become better people. He demanded the best of his players and would not stand for behaviour that he felt was unbecoming of one of his players. As has been stated by others, that philosophy gave us the highly unexpected Grey Cup of 2017.

In spite of my admiration and respect for Trestman, I didn't agree with some of the decisions he made last year, particularly his management of Franklin. Injuries played a part in the poor performance of the team last year but Trestman has to take a major responsibility for how the team performed.

However, let's appreciate how he miraculously managed, against all odds, to win us the 2017 Grey Cup, and wish him the best of luck in his future endeavours

Not, in any way, wishing to criticize any poster but to put peoples' mind at ease, regarding knee/hip replacements--I and my friends have reached an age when most are now paying for the wear and tear of our joints because of activities of our youth ----and---among all of us we have had 12 replacements but nobody waited more than 3 months. Personally I waited 6 weeks. I mention it since I suspect most on this site have not yet reached the age for joint replacements and I just want to ease any of your concerns.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    I had the opportunity to have a couple of brief conversations with Trestman and even in those short minutes I was impressed with his character. Everything I saw or read about the man strongly suggested he was a principled individual who was committed to help young men become better people. He demanded the best of his players and would not stand for behaviour that he felt was unbecoming of one of his players. As has been stated by others, that philosophy gave us the highly unexpected Grey Cup of 2017.

In spite of my admiration and respect for Trestman, I didn't agree with some of the decisions he made last year, particularly his management of Franklin. Injuries played a part in the poor performance of the team last year but Trestman has to take a major responsibility for how the team performed.

However, let's appreciate how he miraculously managed, against all odds, to win us the 2017 Grey Cup, and wish him the best of luck in his future endeavours

Not, in any way, wishing to criticize any poster but to put peoples' mind at ease, regarding knee/hip replacements--I and my friends have reached an age when most are now paying for the wear and tear of our joints because of activities of our youth ----and---among all of us we have had 12 replacements but nobody waited more than 3 months. Personally I waited 6 weeks. I mention it since I suspect most on this site have not yet reached the age for joint replacements and I just want to ease any of your concerns.
    I stand corrected. I am glad to hear your hip replacement went well and was done in a timely fashion. If there is a criticism on our healthcare system it’s the cost/timeline ness of chronic care. But 6 weeks to 3 months is exceptional care.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    1971 G.C. --appreciate your comments. Did extensive hiking holiday in Azores and Madeira four months after knee replacement, so if anyone is hesitant --don't put it off.

Completely of topic and realize subject is on another thread---hopefully there is a good turnout for the Argos Townhall. It will be a great opportunity to not only hear from Chamblin but also hear more from Ambrosie about his vision for the league. I must admit I have some reservations about the Mexico and Europe endeavours but will try to keep an open mind.

New Fan
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 90
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Marc is being unveiled as the head coach of the XFL team in Tampa on Tuesday.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bucs...8Ad2u1-TaNu0kU