Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here's the CFL's alleged plan for an interest free loan:

According to Canadian Press reporter Dan Ralph, the new CFL ask to the feds is for $30 million total, $28 million of which would fund a shortened 2020 season. The rest of the money breakdown from Ralph:

Approximately two-thirds (or about $19 million) would go towards covering player salaries and operation of the CFL bubble in Winnipeg, its tentative hub city. Roughly half the overall total (or around $14 million) would be allocated for hub-city costs like food and lodging, testing and buses for players, coaches and support staff.

That’s a great return on investment for the Manitoba government. It included $2.5 million in its bid to the CFL for Winnipeg to be the league’s tentative hub city.

Around $5 million would go to player salaries. However, the CFL would reportedly make up any shortfall in the payment of its players.
    An estimated $5 million would be for coaches and support staff. Roughly $4 million would be available to take care of incidental costs.

The most important part of the cash allotment is the players part. That’s because even if the funds are provided by Ottawa, the league and CFL Players’ Association would have to agree on a COVID-19 collective bargaining agreement.
    https://3downnation.com/2020/08/05/c...ayer-salaries/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Had Rod Pedersen ever been right more times than wrong? He says Ambrosie is always in Toronto in the MLSE suite. Well, this is his home after all. He does live here, why not visit the home stadium as much as possible?
    I have not kept track of Pederson's predictions. I know he was right about Ken Holland going to Edmonton and Winnipeg being the hub for the CFL if they ever get this season going. But we can't kid ourselves where the real power is in the League, it's the owners, and why not. Dale Lastman of MLSE just happens to be the CFL Chairman of the Board. So I believe MLSE has a large say it what happens with the CFL going forward, and they probably wouldn't have come on board unless that was the case.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    But we can't kid ourselves where the real power is in the League, it's the owners, and why not. Dale Lastman of MLSE just happens to be the CFL Chairman of the Board. So I believe MLSE has a large say it what happens with the CFL going forward, and they probably wouldn't have come on board unless that was the case.
    Yep. Those who say Argos shouldn't be highly influential, either because Toronto thinks it's the centre of the universe or because the Argos draw small crowds, are blissfully ignorant of the realities of this league.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    More to this story than the headline no doubt. Curious if the CBA transfers over with a change to the ownership or if it has already been breached and is headed for court.

My take is they need to work on building trust between the parties. Lawyers and accountants often have their own agendas and are great tools to have and use. It all has to balance and they need to consider the fans. Encouraging that there is still discussion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by doubleblue View Post
    I have not kept track of Pederson's predictions. I know he was right about Ken Holland going to Edmonton and Winnipeg being the hub for the CFL if they ever get this season going. But we can't kid ourselves where the real power is in the League, it's the owners, and why not. Dale Lastman of MLSE just happens to be the CFL Chairman of the Board. So I believe MLSE has a large say it what happens with the CFL going forward, and they probably wouldn't have come on board unless that was the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Yep. Those who say Argos shouldn't be highly influential, either because Toronto thinks it's the centre of the universe or because the Argos draw small crowds, are blissfully ignorant of the realities of this league.
    I was telling my buddy last week that I think the owners are going to remove Ambrosie when all is said and done and my prediction was that Lastman will be the next commissioner.

I really believe the league desperately needs to share all revenues. A league is only as strong as their weakest member.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I was telling my buddy last week that I think the owners are going to remove Ambrosie when all is said and done and my prediction was that Lastman will be the next commissioner.

I really believe the league desperately needs to share all revenues. A league is only as strong as their weakest member.
    Revenue sharing has certainly helped the NFL become the colossus is it. I'd support this 100%. And all those Roughrider fans who would bleat about it can go read some history books recounting how much the Argos propped up the weak sisters with gate equalization payments in the 1970s.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

New Fan
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 197
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    i always figured it would be TSN that would save the day - but MLSE is even better. with their experience in the MLS ownership model, i would imagine the CFL model would look similar (though maybe not initially) maintaining some form of local investor-operators would help motivate the local business community. i'm hopeful that this kind of model is implemented. seems like a great way for the league to reset and move forward. might even lead to some growth in the number of franchises.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gee View Post
    i always figured it would be TSN that would save the day - but MLSE is even better. with their experience in the MLS ownership model, i would imagine the CFL model would look similar (though maybe not initially) maintaining some form of local investor-operators would help motivate the local business community. i'm hopeful that this kind of model is implemented. seems like a great way for the league to reset and move forward. might even lead to some growth in the number of franchises.
    Not sure I see it that way.

Seems to me the target market of MLSE etc is more luxury box, catering to the social elite oriented. Big money in being a hot ticket. Business draws business. Who's not beautiful?

CFL has been trying to break into that league for quite a while but hasn't gotten it done. Maybe because it's not there. I'm not sure they understand who the real CFL fan is and instead focus on who they want the CFL fan to be. While I understand they have the stability to fund a recovery, to pursue the same path of bullying the players might just end up hiding short term problems but in the end will only prolong the inevitable.

At the very least I will be happy if they make it right for the players. Guaranteed contracts are a must imo.

Looking at all the latest news and connections puts the TSN 6 year deal in a proper light. The whole thing stinks and is getting worse by the day.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Passcatcher View Post
    Guaranteed contracts are a must imo.
    Not going to happen. The closest thing you will get to a guaranteed contract in the CFL will be perhaps 50% of a contract's annual amount being paid the day a player reports to camp. Even the NFL doesn't guarantee the majority of a contract. I realize it's a completely different scale, but only about 30% of Patrick Mahomes huge contract is guaranteed at this point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Revenue sharing has certainly helped the NFL become the colossus is it. I'd support this 100%. And all those Roughrider fans who would bleat about it can go read some history books recounting how much the Argos propped up the weak sisters with gate equalization payments in the 1970s.
    100% correct Paul, when oil and gas was booming there was much whining about how Alberta was “propping” up the rest of the country (including us evil Ontario bastages), never mind the fact that Ontario’s economy is the largest in Canada.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Not going to happen. The closest thing you will get to a guaranteed contract in the CFL will be perhaps 50% of a contract's annual amount being paid the day a player reports to camp. Even the NFL doesn't guarantee the majority of a contract. I realize it's a completely different scale, but only about 30% of Patrick Mahomes huge contract is guaranteed at this point.
    Then there is the coach like Lapo who gets fired six months into a 3 year deal and rides it out. I'm not seeing the difference.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    100% correct Paul, when oil and gas was booming there was much whining about how Alberta was “propping” up the rest of the country (including us evil Ontario bastages), never mind the fact that Ontario’s economy is the largest in Canada.
    Not sure what that has to do with gate equalization or revenue sharing in the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Then there is the coach like Lapo who gets fired six months into a 3 year deal and rides it out. I'm not seeing the difference.
    Again, no different than the NFL. That’s the business of football. It won’t change.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The whole scenario is an embarrassment. Though Ambrosie doesn't shoulder all the blame, one is reminded of President Truman's quote "the buck stops here" and in this case the buck should stop with the commissioner. His mishandling of the original proposal to the government and lack of outreach to involve the players has put the league in a precarious position.

Hopefully there will be a season, albeit a shortened one but time is rapidly running out.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    Does the buck stop at the commissioner's office or with the board of governors?

One thing I never liked about Ambrosie is that he was in the thick of the Fannie Mae / Freddy Mac era shenanigans of 2008. He came in with a storm of global expansion and increased revenue and has delivered nothing. Nice guy but .....

As a Canadian, I have been responsible for every bit of every contract I have ever signed. It is my expectation to fulfill my obligation. I would like to think most others feel the same. It is near reprehensible to me when I see someone else squirm out of a deal. There is nothing to be admired by those actions. More dirt bag than manly imo.

The sooner the CFL stops trying to be the NFL, the sooner it can become the CFL that it should be. Honoring contracts is what we do in Canada. That alone is a difference that might make a difference to a player looking for a place to play. Might also bring a little accountability to the GM office where it seems the main thing to do is to think of ways to circumvent rules and gain an advantage.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Does the buck stop at the commissioner's office or with the board of governors?

One thing I never liked about Ambrosie is that he was in the thick of the Fannie Mae / Freddy Mac era shenanigans of 2008. He came in with a storm of global expansion and increased revenue and has delivered nothing. Nice guy but .....

As a Canadian, I have been responsible for every bit of every contract I have ever signed. It is my expectation to fulfill my obligation. I would like to think most others feel the same. It is near reprehensible to me when I see someone else squirm out of a deal. There is nothing to be admired by those actions. More dirt bag than manly imo.

The sooner the CFL stops trying to be the NFL, the sooner it can become the CFL that it should be. Honoring contracts is what we do in Canada. That alone is a difference that might make a difference to a player looking for a place to play. Might also bring a little accountability to the GM office where it seems the main thing to do is to think of ways to circumvent rules and gain an advantage.
    I think you're way off base here regarding contracts. For starters, the contracts are collectively bargained in terms of being non guaranteed. Secondly, if the CFL started guaranteeing contracts, they would be stuck with new players that might have flashed brilliance in camp, but just don't measure up when the games start for real. Are you going to guarantee these players contracts? If so, the league will lose way more money than they already do, and would no longer exist. But maybe that's what you're hoping for, IDK.

Boatman
    Achievements:

Level
    I think you're way off base here regarding contracts. For starters, the contracts are collectively bargained in terms of being non guaranteed. Secondly, if the CFL started guaranteeing contracts, they would be stuck with new players that might have flashed brilliance in camp, but just don't measure up when the games start for real. Are you going to guarantee these players contracts? If so, the league will lose way more money than they already do, and would no longer exist. But maybe that's what you're hoping for, IDK.
    Exactly, you make the team, you got the job. I better be careful who I sign because I am liable for that contract. Newbies are making $64,000 and would not cause a huge financial impact. It would make for a better game

What happens in Winnipeg is they sign an Adarius Bowman or a Chris Matthews to a big deal and after not being able to get them involved in the offence they punt them and then claim that it was only a low dollar deal conveniently leaving out the signing bonus. If your going to act like a man, be a man and own your mistakes.

It's a passionate issue for myself. Not the reason I joined this forum though and I apologize for my leftist inclinations. Not sure why I get drawn towards hopeless causes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    If contracts were guaranteed, either teams would spend way below the cap (to protect themselves in case some players needed to be replaced later for performance reasons) or fans would be forced to stick it out watching substandard players (even though better players were available) because their team was up against the cap. Neither outcome helps the product in any way. "I better be careful who I sign" sounds good in theory, but the cold, hard reality of pro sports is that a guy who is good enough today might be way below good enough tomorrow. "Being a man and owning your mistakes" (not sure what gender has to do with the concept of being accountable) means that the fans end up owning the mistakes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Exactly, you make the team, you got the job. I better be careful who I sign because I am liable for that contract. Newbies are making $64,000 and would not cause a huge financial impact. It would make for a better game

What happens in Winnipeg is they sign an Adarius Bowman or a Chris Matthews to a big deal and after not being able to get them involved in the offence they punt them and then claim that it was only a low dollar deal conveniently leaving out the signing bonus. If your going to act like a man, be a man and own your mistakes.

It's a passionate issue for myself. Not the reason I joined this forum though and I apologize for my leftist inclinations. Not sure why I get drawn towards hopeless causes.
    Hey, Anyone that knows me knows that I want the best for the players. But in the end reality has to kick in. They all know the deal when they sign their contracts and if they don’t that’s on their agents and/or the PA.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Not sure what that has to do with gate equalization or revenue sharing in the CFL.
    Pointing out the anti Ontario (Toronto in particular) bias that exists out west in response to your Rider fans comment.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions