Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    We have to end this TFC thing. And i say that as a TFC SSH. The teams have 2 different primary sets of supporters. There is no competition between the two clubs, unless we're talking about MLSE resources.
    Argos ratings are always a bit different because it's nation wide. So for TFC we'd have to include the US audience of the opposition.
    For attendance, both teams had their challenges after missing a full year with fans. If TFC signs Insigne crowds will average 25k this summer. If not, youre down to the core 16k. And even if its 8k it doesnt affect the Argos, just like the only argos impact for TFC is additional wear and tear on the field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
    We have to end this TFC thing. as a TFC SSH.
    If TFC fans can stop chanting “F U Argos” at games, (yes, that’s a literal chant) maybe we can end this. It’s a one sided childish affair as far as I’m concerned and any comments from Argo fans is only pushback.

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
    We have to end this TFC thing. And i say that as a TFC SSH. The teams have 2 different primary sets of supporters. There is no competition between the two clubs, unless we're talking about MLSE resources. just like the only argos impact for TFC is additional wear and tear on the field.
    I agree that the (for lack of a better word) "feud" has to end, but it has always been pretty one sided. The Argos have hardly been in a position to lord it over anyone. Traditionally, many TFC fans seemed to believe a way to a higher visibility was to bring somebody else down to their level. Before the Argos moved to BMO the target was usually "fat, out of shape" baseball players, they knew they could never take on hockey. That all changed when the Argos moved to BMO and they became number one on the hit list with a vengeance. The most popular threads at RPB were hate Argo threads, by far. Ok, now that the history is out of the way how about some myth busting.

I am talking about the myth that it is football causing the most damage to the BMO turf.

John Torres, the head groundskeeper at Philadelphia's PPL park hosted a seminar called "Playing Surface Management" This was by an expert talking to other experts in the field with no discernible financial stake.

PPL park is also interesting in that it hosts Football, Lacrosse, Rugby and other random events. John Torres, PPL Park's head groundskeeper, went to Ohio State then worked for the Crew - whose field quality has long been highly regarded. Torres has been part of the groundskeeping crews for the last three US/Mexico games in Columbus

January 17 from TweetDeck
    Torres says that, though it surprises some people, soccer does the most damage to a playing field of the sports he's worked with.

Tony Stones, Head Groundsman, Wembley Stadium

"We find most damage is caused by football (soccer) players digging in, turning quick, whereas an NFL game it's all solid, it's crunching together, Desso likes that, holds together well, it's when they're doing quick turns, your Rugby Union you get a bit of quick turning in that as well and a bit of scrummaging so you get a bit of mess from that but I'd say most damage comes from football (soccer)"

"It's warmups, football (soccer) warmups that are the worst thing, that's where we get the most damage from, especially the goalkeepers that will not use his portable goal, they insist on using his main goal that creates us some serious trouble"

https://youtu.be/yHNxCzUBnNQ?t=53