Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrogorilla 2 View Post
    The first CFL game I can remember watching was the Grey cup between the Roughriders vs the Roughriders, haha! Back around the same time period, I think...
    Clements to Gabriel

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I have vague recollections of the 1975 Grey Cup but the first one I truly remember watching was the 1976 Grey Cup. We just got colour TV in our household that year too so the timing was perfect.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I notice one of the tentacles of the Legion of Idiots (Bell/Rogers/Christmas Tree) has made another brilliant marketing decision, firing Lisa LaFlamme for no apparent logical reason, to the dismay of almost everybody.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    I notice one of the tentacles of the Legion of Idiots (Bell/Rogers/Christmas Tree) has made another brilliant marketing decision, firing Lisa LaFlamme for no apparent logical reason, to the dismay of almost everybody.
    And this has what to do with marketing of the Argos?
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    And this has what to do with marketing of the Argos?
    That much of the corporate conglomerate are idiots.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Anyone else remember the cardboard footballs they'd hand out at school each year for Grey Cup? Each side had the different teams and it had a little string so you could hang it on a button or something to show who you rooting for...

CFL used to be such a big deal in a less crowded sports landscape and before the internet...not so much now. Sad to think how much time has passed by.

Here's one from the 80'S:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/155110930879...Bk9SR4a83P7UYA

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 3
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Here are a couple of articles about how Old Spice turned their fortunes around with strong marketing.

"You’re trying to appeal to youngsters, but your customers say your product is for grandpas. Ouch."

Sound familiar? Perhaps some ads featuring sexy Argo players could attract the young women. And the young men would follow.
    "The project also had a secret weapon. Market research carried out by Wieden and Kennedy unearthed an interesting insight that would prove key in the campaign’s success — 60% of body wash purchases were made by women."

I wonder what percentage of date and/or family outing purchases are made by women. I bet it's significant. Have any Argo or CFL ads targeted women buyers?

https://bettermarketing.pub/the-camp...e-d925bed9aee8

https://www.transformationmarketing.com/marketing-campaing-success-old-spice/

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    ^Great post! You could say the same for Buick

I am a little reluctant to post this part but I will anyway. Bill Burr's standup routine about the WNBA provides some insights into marketing if you go well down the rabbit hole. His thoughts that women (particularly feminists) have failed the WNBA (expecting men to support it) but yet women support the Kardashians and Housewives in droves. As an old marketer, I wonder what is the motivation for that and can it be channeled elsewhere.

I was watching on street interviews and people couldn't name the President of the US but could rattle off all the Kardashians. There is a tremendous social media element there but I have to plead ignorant because I know nothing of Instagram, Twitter, Tik Tok et al. What are the common elements that can be taken and applied to the Argos. AFAIK, the Kardashians have no actual talent aside from being famous (I stand to be corrected) if that is marketable so can the Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Regarding the Argos, I wonder if MLSE is trying to push for a player that wouldn't count against the cap like I believe they have for TFC.
    I can only imagine Bill Manning never pushing for something like that and instead wanting to double the soccer budget for foreign players.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I can only imagine Bill Manning never pushing for something like that and instead wanting to double the soccer budget for foreign players.
    Dandy Ambrosie should already be pushing to the owners that each team is allowed to have their highest paid Canadian player not count towards the salary cap. That will allow BC to keep Nathan in the CFL for a few more years. We simply can't lose Canadian players like that to become third stringers on the NFL. Pay him $1Mm or whatever. He can go to the NFL when a team is ready to hand the starting job to him like Warren Moon or Doug Flutie.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Dandy Ambrosie should already be pushing to the owners that each team is allowed to have their highest paid Canadian player not count towards the salary cap. That will allow BC to keep Nathan in the CFL for a few more years. We simply can't lose Canadian players like that to become third stringers on the NFL. Pay him $1Mm or whatever. He can go to the NFL when a team is ready to hand the starting job to him like Warren Moon or Doug Flutie.
    That's contrary to what the league asked for, and got, in collective bargaining -- an upper limit on how much Cdns can be paid in their first three years. Obviously a cost-saving measure for a league that is desperate to keep costs in check. Can't see them suddenly going in the opposite direction, especially just to keep one unicorn. We are going to lose Rourke, at least for 2023 (and likely beyond, IMO).

While Moon was handed a starting position straight out of the CFL, Flutie wasn't, IIRC. He had to win the job over the higher-paid Rob Johnson.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    $1M would blow the CFL salary cap up and also wouldn’t be enough to stop any player from trying to make the NFL.
    Won’t happen.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    More testimony on the incompetence of MLSE

Steve Simmons on the Canadian Football League's decline & the downfall of Hockey Canada
    August 16, 2022

Steve Simmons from the Toronto Sun joins Bob and John for todays episode of the podcast.

The three spend some time on the CFL for the first half of the podcast, discussing the disparity between the leagues support in Western Canada compared to the Eastern part of the country. We look at the issues teams like the Toronto Argonauts are facing when it comes to fan interest and question why the elite play from a young Canadian QB like Nathan Rourke in BC hasn't garnered more media attention throughout the country.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    While Moon was handed a starting position straight out of the CFL, Flutie wasn't, IIRC. He had to win the job over the higher-paid Rob Johnson.
    Yup, Flutie was screwed because he didn't fit the old NFL stereotypical mold and Johnson did, even though Flutie performed and Johnson didn't. Even then Flutie was still in demand, coaches wanted him but it was all they could do to not make him a starter.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    . We look at the issues teams like the Toronto Argonauts are facing when it comes to fan interest and question why the elite play from a young Canadian QB like Nathan Rourke in BC hasn't garnered more media attention throughout the country.
    This perfectly typifies CFL coverage over the past 30 years: Three media guys wondering why the media doesn’t pay more attention to the CFL. And they don’t get the irony of what they’re saying.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    $1M would blow the CFL salary cap up and also wouldn’t be enough to stop any player from trying to make the NFL.
    Won’t happen.
    I think when people talk about making exemptions to the salary cap, it is automatically assumed that the salary cap system would have to change to accommodate it.

This is why MLSE is pushing for “restructuring” the league to make it more like the MLS, which has a salary cap but also exemptions for marquee players.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Bill Manning knows how marquee players put TFC on the map in this town, and I’d be willing to bet he’d love to be able to sign marquee players for the Argonauts too.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Bill Manning knows how marquee players put TFC on the map in this town, and I’d be willing to bet he’d love to be able to sign marquee players for the Argonauts too.
    What would be the price tag for a “marquee” player?
    I’m sure other teams would love to see the Argos spend millions of dollars bringing in star players when they don’t have the ability to do so themselves.
    MLSE has the financial clout to do this but I don’t see other teams supporting this at all.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    What would be the price tag for a “marquee” player?
    I’m sure other teams would love to see the Argos spend millions of dollars bringing in star players when they don’t have the ability to do so themselves.
    MLSE has the financial clout to do this but I don’t see other teams supporting this at all.
    "Marquee" players in the NFL -- the kind who might move the needle in a city that no longer cares about the CFL -- make $40-million-plus. Don't see that happening, and I also don't see any "marquee" players who would be willing to play for, say, $5M moving the needle here.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    This perfectly typifies CFL coverage over the past 30 years: Three media guys wondering why the media doesn’t pay more attention to the CFL. And they don’t get the irony of what they’re saying.
    I recommend listening to the podcast, although they kept slipping and referring to the east being a problem moreso than the west but then admitting Hamilton and Ottawa are doing ok (and Montreal is trending upward - my words) So really Toronto is the issue, they do make some interesting points such as Hamilton being 40 minutes down the road and why they are doing well but Toronto that is so close isn't. They do say MLSE has been doing nothing for the Argos.