Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    New Fan
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I would have sworn it would have been RUSH this year... but alas, as another poster noted, it appears they are in Phoenix the same night. My second guess would be Neil Young. Given it is the 100th Grey Cup, you'd have to believe organizers, sponsors, etc. would be clear it needs to be a major Canadian Act. There are plenty of terrific Canadian acts, but not as many that carry the weight necessary to be the half-time act for this big game. The "collection of acts" concept wouldn't surprise me either, but in my opinion, that wouldn't be as good as it should be.

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Ramones at Burlington Central Arena? How the hell did I not hear about that. I guess it was close to Hamilton and a good spot for them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Not gonna lie, Probably the worst half-time line up I could think of.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Some CFL fans obviously won't like the selection of Bieber and Jepsen, but it is a HUGE get by the GC organizers. They are massive international stars, and by far the biggest Canadian performers in the world at the moment. This will get a lot of attention from people (in Cda and elsewhere) who ordinarily would not even be aware of the Grey Cup.

Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Should have bought more GC tickets and then sell them for $2,500 to a tween. Advertise them as a sold out Bieber concert. Disappointing lineup but I don't listen to mainstream and mainstream was expected so I'm not surprised and expected this tbh. Thinking it would be Drake and Bieber.

Achievements:
    Level
    I understand trying to get young people involved but do you really think some kid will buy a ticket above face value just to see Bieber live at half time or watch it on tv just for one/two songs. I don't, they could just watch his full concerts in youtube or something if they love watching him sing.

New Fan
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    There are people saying that this lineup will attract younger viewers, but I strongly disagree. Nobody is going to pay $300+ to see Justin Bieber play a show that is at a football game and shorter than a regular concert. And for those watching at home, if they aren't football fans they'll tune in for the halftime show, then change the channel again. I don't think one halftime show is going to bring a host of young new fans to the CFL. And for the current fans, although I'm sure there is a minority that actually like Justin Bieber, it would have been nice to have some grown-up music. Gordon Lightfoot is slightly better than the others, but kind of overpowered by the three pop acts. I know nobody goes just the the halftime show, but it's supposed to be part of the good time, and I think it should be tailored to the fans that are attending or planning to watch, not potential viewers. If the league wants to attract more people, market the game!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Man, there's no pleasing some people. The GC will have two of the of the biggest stars on the planet, and that's a bad thing?! Does it somehow make things worse for the fans who actually care about the CFL?

New Fan
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Man, there's no pleasing some people. The GC will have two of the of the biggest stars on the planet, and that's a bad thing?! Does it somehow make things worse for the fans who actually care about the CFL?
    Biggest stars with teenage girls! Does it make things worse? Well I care about the CFL, and I've got my Grey Cup tickets - it won't harm the game itself in any way, but I and I'm sure many others will be skipping the halftime show in favour of a snack/bathroom break, when we could have been actually entertained.
    This won't help the league, I can't believe how many people think this will attract new fans. Do you know how many people watch the Super Bowl halftime on TV, but don't watch any of the game? Same thing will happen here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoAnge View Post
    Biggest stars with teenage girls! Does it make things worse? Well I care about the CFL, and I've got my Grey Cup tickets - it won't harm the game itself in any way, but I and I'm sure many others will be skipping the halftime show in favour of a snack/bathroom break, when we could have been actually entertained.
    This won't help the league, I can't believe how many people think this will attract new fans. Do you know how many people watch the Super Bowl halftime on TV, but don't watch any of the game? Same thing will happen here.
    And the Super Bowl keeps spending mega-bucks to get big stars why, exactly? Is the NFL sad that some people tune in only for halftime? Do you think the commercial rates for halftime might spike just a tad? Do you think maybe this all has to do with revenue? Or do you think everything the CFL does should be about pleasing its existing fans? (Who, by the way, do not all like the same musical acts as each other.)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Biggest stars with teenage girls!
    He/she who sells the most product is the biggest star. So they are in fact the biggest stars, period, regardless of the demographic that finds them most appealing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    It at least makes the Grey Cup relevant to and something that many young people will notice, at least for one day. Will this translate into anything for the future? Maybe, maybe not but it can't hurt. CFL fans aren't really going to care about the halftime show as they will be watching regardless so why bother trying to cater to them? This is brilliant marketing by the CFL and Grey Cup Committee IMO and believe me when I say that I am no fan of Bieber.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Well as long as we get to hear Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald I'll be pleased.

Achievements:
    Level
    I wonder if they'll let people with no game tickets but with concert tickets get on the field at half-time. Not a fan of them doing so and will be a mess to set up and clean up but someone would be willing to pay $$$. Did they let people go on during Lenny Kravitz or am I just confused with the Super Bowl.

Boatman
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Should have expected all that new stuff to be in the halftime show. I was thinking Bryan Adams might have been part of the show when trying to think up Canadian artists. Lightfoot was a throw in to show the older fans that they weren't completely forgotten. Burton Cummings too, though he's pregame from what I remember. At least we don't get Celine Dion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:

Level
    What a joke. This terrible act at halftime will not ruin the game at all for me. I'm gonna spend that time wisely buying more beer and taking a leak. I understand that this kid is an huge star with lots of cash to show for it, and no matter who played at the half not everyone will be happy but he doesn't appeal to 99 percent of the fans at the game. It's a spit in the face to cfl fans. The cfl doesn't know their fanbase. As mentioned before this kid playing a song or two will not promote more cfl interest if this is their intent. Are they thinking that the 12 year old girl that may watch the half on tv will suddenly become a season ticket holder? Not like they are trying to sell tickets to an already sold out event. I don't get it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    And the Super Bowl keeps spending mega-bucks to get big stars why, exactly? Is the NFL sad that some people tune in only for halftime? Do you think the commercial rates for halftime might spike just a tad? Do you think maybe this all has to do with revenue? Or do you think everything the CFL does should be about pleasing its existing fans? (Who, by the way, do not all like the same musical acts as each other.)
    Let's face the facts though, the super bowl is all about the halftime show and commercials. The cfl is not. There is the difference.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I wonder if they'll let people with no game tickets but with concert tickets get on the field at half-time. Not a fan of them doing so and will be a mess to set up and clean up but someone would be willing to pay $$$. Did they let people go on during Lenny Kravitz or am I just confused with the Super Bowl.
    Yeah they let people on the field. My wife and I were asked but declined because it meant we miss most of the second quarter and half of the third.

Boatman
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 42
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    This is not for the 50,000 or so in attendance (who bought their tickets with little thought about the halftime show), but the 5 million-plus watching on television. In this way, it is an absolute master stroke. Beiber has 27 million followers on twitter and was ranked by Forbes as the third biggest entertainer in the world last year. Anyone who criticizes this is not looking at the big picture-- exposure for Our League. This will draw the biggest ever ratings for a Grey Cup on TSN, which will certainly help with the next contract. Will the Grey Cup draw bigger television numbers in the US than the Stanley Cup final? Maybe not. Will it get more exposure? Maybe.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtownfan View Post
    This is not for the 50,000 or so in attendance (who bought their tickets with little thought about the halftime show), but the 5 million-plus watching on television. In this way, it is an absolute master stroke. Beiber has 27 million followers on twitter and was ranked by Forbes as the third biggest entertainer in the world last year. Anyone who criticizes this is not looking at the big picture-- exposure for Our League. This will draw the biggest ever ratings for a Grey Cup on TSN, which will certainly help with the next contract. Will the Grey Cup draw bigger television numbers in the US than the Stanley Cup final? Maybe not. Will it get more exposure? Maybe.
    I disagree. It will be the highest rated Grey cup but that is because it's the 100th. Exposure? Who do you honestly think listens to Bieber? The cfls ideal demographic, whatever it is, I assume males 18 - ? Does not listen to this kid. Just look all over twitter, Facebook, tsn no one wants this guy. I'm not disputing his success but he is not the right fit.