Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    This is just plain sad. The place is tiny at this point. Whose stupid idea is this? Let's just take a huge step back after that ROCKIN 100th Grey Cup. I've never seen or heard Argonauts fans cheer so loud and help their team so you reward them by playing preseason in a tiny stadium. What are you telling the fringe CFL fans on the city.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    They're probably doing this as a test for using Varsity as a future option (new stadium)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm sure the Argos will provide seating for all season ticket holders and for some walkup crowd.

I had read that Argo season ticket renewals were going well after the surge in ST sales last season...so 12,000 to 15,000 seats will be needed.

If done well, an Argo game at Varsity might be a blast!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Invader View Post
    I'm sure the Argos will provide seating for all season ticket holders and for some walkup crowd.

I had read that Argo season ticket renewals were going well after the surge in ST sales last season...so 12,000 to 15,000 seats will be needed.

If done well, an Argo game at Varsity might be a blast!
    Exactly, Invader! I think that if this works well and the atmosphere turns out to be outstanding, then that will provide a further impetus to get the Argos into a stadium of their own. Whether one likes SkyDome or not, it clearly isn't a viable long-term solution for the Argos as long as Rogers is running it and Rogers will likely be running it for the next few decades at least. The Argos have to find a solution to this problem and, while Varsity may not be it exactly, it serves as a test of sorts and if this game is a success it could expedite the process of getting that badly needed stadium of their own.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Boatman
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    While I agree with you about the school kids idea. This is obviously being done to engage the greater market with the team doing something that will engage far more media than a preseason game at the Dome.

This also takes me back to a comment Pelley made a while back about how talks are going on behind the scenes as far as the Argos future goes. I wonder if this is an subtle indication of that future.
    Could varsity be the new home of our argonauts?? It's been mentioned many times before with nothing coming out of it, but what if the Argos are planning to take the same route Montreal took at McGill stadium, centre of the downtown core, easy transportion access, it is a old facilty but remember where was the acc built??

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argoscflguy View Post
    Could varsity be the new home of our argonauts?? It's been mentioned many times before with nothing coming out of it, but what if the Argos are planning to take the same route Montreal took at McGill stadium, centre of the downtown core, easy transportion access, it is a old facilty but remember where was the acc built??
    Can't happen unless both U of T and the wealthy residents of the Annex change their minds. It was turned down by U of T several years ago after an uprising of Annex homeowners who didn't want a 25,000-seat stadium on their doorstep. One of the most depressing examples of Toronto's inability to build a truly great city.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Paul just ike the Ottawa battle that they finally won. Dumb thing is when people bought in these areas they knew there were stadiums. Taking the Argo history right back to the Varsity location would be great, only if.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Achievements:

Level
    i do agree that it is a bit of a joke playing there after winning the grey cup, however, i would love to (and hopefully included with my stix) go to this game....to finally have a "home" arogs game, in an outdoor and different stadium would be great....i think it will be fun to see, mind you i dont see them spending very much money on the stadium for this event (logos on the field, banners, etc)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Agreed. Also, because of the track, they are far from the sideline, and the sightlines are brutal. My concern is that if they don't add temp seating, are they trying to tell us that the Argos have less than 5k in ST sales? Or do we get the option of a refund on this game (should you not be one of the lucky ones to get one of the 5k seats available). This makes no sense to me.

True, I watched my daughter play flag football and the track made it even worse to watch.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Achievements:
    Level
    I can't believe the b@tching and moaning about this game being at varsity when all i read on here is about how skydome/rogers are so hated. Its a friggin preseason game.
    This game will get 10 thousand fans at skydome and will look like an abandoned stadium. The Argos are probably going to add a few thousand seats and pack the joint on a hopefully warm June night in the heart of the city to watch the first truly outdoor CFL game in TO in 25 years. This game will be a very HOT ticket. When was the last time that happened here for a preseason game? 1971? And most importantly,I believe it sends a message to everyone involved that a football specific outdoor stadium is what this franchise will eventually strive for. Give your heads a shake boys and enjoy. Hope i get tix.
    Last edited by LLB997; 03-06-2013 at 02:45 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    This decision is a disaster - I have no idea how you will fit 10,000 temporary seats into the bandbox on Bloor Street to accomodate the preseason crowd of 12 - 15,000. We all know the reason that this is happening - the only date Rogers have available for the Argos in June is Tuesday, June 4. The Taylor Swift concerts kill all the dates in the middle of the month and the Jays have the rest.
    This is NOT a marketing test of Varsity for a new stadium - the idea is impossible.
    It is not a trip back down memory lane to the great years at Varsity Stadium. Thie is NOT Varsity Stadium - this is "Varsity Centre", which has nothing to recommend it as a stadium even for CIAU football.

You can't change the facts with hype and positive spins.
    One oar still in the water !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    I can't believe the b@tching and moaning about this game being at varsity when all i read on here is about how skydome/rogers are so hated. Its a friggin preseason game.
    This game will get 10 thousand fans at skydome and will look like an abandoned stadium. The Argos are probably going to add a few thousand seats and pack the joint on a hopefully warm June night in the heart of the city to watch the first truly outdoor CFL game in TO in 25 years. This game will be a very HOT ticket. When was the last time that happened here for a preseason game? 1971? And most importantly,I believe it sends a message to everyone involved that a football specific outdoor stadium is what this franchise will eventually strive for. Give your heads a shake boys and enjoy. Hope i get tix.
    it may be a disaster after it's all said and done but I'm going for sure. Can't say I've said that with certainty for the pre-season game in a few years now.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by LLB997 View Post
    Pretty much this.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Gap-Willie View Post
    This decision is a disaster - I have no idea how you will fit 10,000 temporary seats into the bandbox on Bloor Street to accomodate the preseason crowd of 12 - 15,000. We all know the reason that this is happening - the only date Rogers have available for the Argos in June is Tuesday, June 4. The Taylor Swift concerts kill all the dates in the middle of the month and the Jays have the rest.
    This is NOT a marketing test of Varsity for a new stadium - the idea is impossible.
    It is not a trip back down memory lane to the great years at Varsity Stadium. Thie is NOT Varsity Stadium - this is "Varsity Centre", which has nothing to recommend it as a stadium even for CIAU football.

You can't change the facts with hype and positive spins.
    D-Gap...your 100% correct....

5000 seats = MICKEY MOUSE....so the only way to legitimize it, is add 10,000 to 12,000 seats...which seems to be impossible.

So only 5000 of the season ticket holders get seats, some season ticket holders dont...new fans are shut out, whats the positive?
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Downloads

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    D-Gap...your 100% correct....

5000 seats = MICKEY MOUSE....so the only way to legitimize it, is add 10,000 to 12,000 seats...which seems to be impossible.

So only 5000 of the season ticket holders get seats, some season ticket holders dont...new fans are shut out, whats the positive?
    So hosting a pre-season game at Varsity Stadium because we don't draw near enough to make it viable at Rogers Centre is Micky Mouse?
    Why bother talking about all the fans that are going to be "shut out" of this. The place will be full, and create a better atmosphere than a Pre-season at the RC
    In addition, the Pan-Am capacity of that Stadium is supposed to be 10,000. So we know it can fit at least that much

I'll wait for further details before calling an event that hasn't taken place a complete failure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    I didn't see an appreciable uptick in the attendance of young people after that pre-season game last year. Mind you this is anecdotal observations on my part. That aside, I love this idea, bleachers or no. Suck it up people and think of all the things around the area to see before and after the game. A little streetfest on philophers walk or Devonshire or insdie the park behind the stadium would be an awesome idea too. hope that this is not just a game but an event.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Precisely, get your butt down early and make a day of it. I know I will leave work early and head down for the afternoon.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I wouldn't worry about the preseason game being a "disaster". I have confidence the Argos will make it an enjoyable event for all. We only have to look at the 100th Grey Cup to know they can put on a party!

The Varsity game will be much like Touchdown Atlantic but on a smaller scale. Temporary stands, port-a-potties, concessions, security, etc.

The Star wrote this will be the first CFL game at Varsity in 55 years. Perhaps the Argos could build on that theme with 1958 concession prices and maybe even throwback uniforms for the players and cheerleaders, that would be fun!...with a full drum & bugle marching band, etc.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Old Varsity stadium was a stadium. The only issue I have with the Dome is the owners. I love the Dome for football and that it's right smack downtown. With the downtown all getting built up where would a so called new Argo stadium go. Doubt there's any room for a stadium anywhere near downtown. One in the sticks with zero around would suck.