Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Who gets statues made from public funds these days? Should Jim Carrey have a statue in Burlington? Should Gordon Lightfoot have one in Orillia? Lorne Greene wherever he's from? I just don't think erecting statues is something communities do these days and I am not at all surprised Candy has not been recognized by Newmarket, Toronto or any other municipality.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Who gets statues made from public funds these days? Should Jim Carrey have a statue in Burlington? Should Gordon Lightfoot have one in Orillia? Lorne Greene wherever he's from? I just don't think erecting statues is something communities do these days and I am not at all surprised Candy has not been recognized by Newmarket, Toronto or any other municipality.
    It does not have to come from public funds. We just had a Terry Fox statue unveiled in September in Richmond Hill, Toronto did a Jack Layton statue on harbourfront. It still happens. Who put the Ted Rogers statue in front of Rogers Centre?

I just thought it would be a real nice way to remember John, plus a rallying point outside BMO Field. It would be a nice focal point at the new stadium. The more things that can be done to honor Argos past and present the better.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Banned
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Who put the Ted Rogers statue in front of Rogers Centre?
    Rogers did.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Exactly. New Argo owners and/or private donors and/or public funds could put up a Candy statue, Pinball statue OR do any other of a host of different things Argo related. I thought I would see if there would be support for a John Candy statue because I thought he was a figure that went beyond football, but who will always have a warm place in Argo fans hearts.

I for one, would probably go and touch John before every Argo game. I don't think I would be alone in that.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Exactly. New Argo owners and/or private donors and/or public funds could put up a Candy statue, Pinball statue
    Ok. Just to clarify the Rogers statue was privately founded by Rogers and placed on Rogers property. BMO Field is on city property and Exhibition Place property so there are more hoops to jump through. I'm not saying it's not possible and like I said before it's your idea, make it happen.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    It does not have to come from public funds. We just had a Terry Fox statue unveiled in September in Richmond Hill, Toronto did a Jack Layton statue on harbourfront. It still happens.
    You're right, it doesn't have to be publicly funded. I would bet the Fox statue in RH was paid for by taxpayers -- only stories I can find about it do not say who paid but I have to assume if it was funded by a philanthropist that would have been mentioned. The Layton statue was funded by donations raised by Ontario Fed of Labour. Almost anything can happen if someone is willing to pay for it, but it would be a long uphill climb to get taxpayers to pay for a John Candy statue IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    You're right, it doesn't have to be publicly funded. I would bet the Fox statue in RH was paid for by taxpayers -- only stories I can find about it do not say who paid but I have to assume if it was funded by a philanthropist that would have been mentioned. The Layton statue was funded by donations raised by Ontario Fed of Labour. Almost anything can happen if someone is willing to pay for it, but it would be a long uphill climb to get taxpayers to pay for a John Candy statue IMO.
    You are right. It should be privately funded by combination Candy's friends, New Argo Ownership, other individuals and the city/exhibition place should allow for it to be placed outside stadium on their land.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Toronto did a Jack Layton statue on harbourfront. It still happens.
    If that IDIOT/CROOK got a statue on the taxpayers dime (after living in subsidized housing with his Chow), Then a Pinballl statue is a gimme.

In fact, it should be Statues for everyone on Welfare, up to millionaires like Ted-the dead (AT least rogers paid for his own).

PLEASE someone tell me that Taxpayers money wasnt used.

Unless David Miller, who mothballed the bronze statue of Churchill recycled it for jack-the hack. Sorry the idea that this guy lived downtown with Lizzy Chow, on OUR dime, and may now have a statue on OUR dime, does upset me.

(I put on my helmet, start the attacks, as i learned during the election, your ONLY allowed an opinion if you agree with rosemary barton, and the cbc..hehe)

Fair enough, but surprised the lefties would spend money on BRONZE, and not actually help the poor folks they claim to be behind.

1- Statue = LOTS of soup.

Is the jack statue on public land or private like ted's?
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 152
    Achievements:
    Overdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    John Candy has a well deserved star on the Canada Walk of Fame on King St. W.

He was part owner of the Argonauts for how long?
    Less than several Argonauts legends playing careers I believe.

I don't see how this idea is appropriate.

What is appropriate is having a wing at my former high school named after John Candy - which it is. He went to high school there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Ok. Just to clarify the Rogers statue was privately founded by Rogers and placed on Rogers property. BMO Field is on city property and Exhibition Place property so there are more hoops to jump through. I'm not saying it's not possible and like I said before it's your idea, make it happen.
    Not that it matters, but are you sure Rogers owns the actual property? I'm not too sure of that. Seems like a very expensive piece of real estate that an investor would have happily paid more than the relatively small amount Rogers did when they purchased the dome.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Banned
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argonaut11xx View Post
    Sorry the idea that this guy lived downtown with Lizzy Chow, on OUR dime, and may now have a statue on OUR dime, does upset me.
    Did Jack Layton and Olivia Chow Live in Subsidized Housing?

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Not that it matters, but are you sure Rogers owns the actual property? I'm not too sure of that.
    I think it is considered Rogers property as long as the Rogers Centre is sitting on it but the land is owned by the government. For a statue they probably didn't need any special permission.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I didn't say that was unrealistic. What I said was putting those statue(s) outside BMO Field will not "mend bridges" with TFC fans as you put it. To think it would is unrealistic.

Go for it then. It's your idea, make it happen.

Actually DeRo and Pinball out there at the same time would be pretty cool. Living legends! Ultimately, I agree with you but unfortunately the animosity exists on both sides and I don't know if it will go away anytime soon.
    Cool idea T-Bone, a statue of Pinball breaking a tackle beside a statue of any TFC player clutching his shin after being "tackled".
    😁✌

Banned
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 495
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    How about a combined statue of Pinball jumping over a TFC guy who's faking an injury.

Layton has a statue? That needs as much respect as Dead Teds. By that I mean NONE! They need to melt down that statue of Jack A$$ and see how much the metal is worth at a scrap yard. Then put that money into meals at the Scott Mission. Love how Union dues are spent on crap like that and by making the guys at the top rich and the bottom struggle. Basically a legal pyramid scheme.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Cool idea T-Bone, a statue of Pinball breaking a tackle beside a statue of any TFC player clutching his shin after being "tackled".
    ��✌
    Are you trying to kill me? I laughed so hard at this I started choking.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Level
    If that IDIOT/CROOK got a statue on the taxpayers dime (after living in subsidized housing with his Chow), Then a Pinballl statue is a gimme.

In fact, it should be Statues for everyone on Welfare, up to millionaires like Ted-the dead (AT least rogers paid for his own).

Unless David Miller, who mothballed the bronze statue of Churchill recycled it for jack-the hack. Sorry the idea that this guy lived downtown with Lizzy Chow, on OUR dime, and may now have a statue on OUR dime, does upset me.

(I put on my helmet, start the attacks, as i learned during the election, your ONLY allowed an opinion if you agree with rosemary barton, and the cbc..hehe)

Fair enough, but surprised the lefties would spend money on BRONZE, and not actually help the poor folks they claim to be behind.

I was thinking the same thing regarding Layton, revisionist history at its finest in regards to his public record.

Boatman
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 121
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Does anyone actually have a ballpark figure on the cost of a life-sized bronze statue? It would put in perspective some of what we're debating. (I've resisted Googling the answer before hearing the wisdom of this board.)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Candy was not only a former Argo owner, but IMO also an all-time great Canadian entertainer & comic genius; he loved his country, the city of Toronto and the Argos & football too - he would be a great choice as would Pinner, but I'd defer to the hometown boy there if it came down to a choice between the 2 for such a statue.

Ottawa has a statue up of Frank Clair at the new Lansdowne on the Southside concourse - looks great and nice tribute to an all-time CFL great, but one of Russ Jackson - an all-time great Canadian football player who played his entire pro career in Ottawa, would have worked as well, or better, IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1argoholic View Post
    How about a combined statue of Pinball jumping over a TFC guy who's faking an injury.

Layton has a statue? That needs as much respect as Dead Teds. By that I mean NONE! They need to melt down that statue of Jack A$$ and see how much the metal is worth at a scrap yard. Then put that money into meals at the Scott Mission. Love how Union dues are spent on crap like that and by making the guys at the top rich and the bottom struggle. Basically a legal pyramid scheme.

Would you prefer a statue of Stevie Boy Harper on his knees before some bankers , oil company execs and other such scum-bags?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 477
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level

Please keep your ugly,misinformed and soon-to-be-obsolete political opinions off this board. And please try to remember there's no apostrophe in Argos.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Please keep your ugly,misinformed and soon-to-be-obsolete political opinions off this board. And please try to remember there's no apostrophe in Argos.
    800 bucks for a downtown Toronto dwelling?...YEP..thats fair market value...

Thank you for correcting my spelling,

Finally, its a free country, and everyones opinion matters, no matter how distasteful you may find mine, or vice versa.

(you saying that my opinions are ugly shows that you are close minded, "sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me")
    MakeArgonautsGreatAgain, 2021